1. Home

Franny Syufy

GPS Tracking of Lost Pets

By July 20, 2004

A new GPS tracking device for dogs has come on the market, and all indications are that a similar device will be available for cats as early as next year.

A tiny modem, which is attached to a dog's collar, sends out a text message to a cellphone, PDA, or other two-way wireless device, whenever the dog leaves any predetermined boundaries. Not only is the owner notified, but the receiver gives directions, and even maps, with certain cellphones, for finding the dog.

This device is far superior to the clunky Mobile Locator I featured a couple of years ago. But until the unit for cats is available, it behooves us to identify our cats with microchips and collars, and we will still need to do some door-knocking when a cat turns up missing.
Suggested Reading:
  • New Age GPS Systems
  • Identify Your Cat
  • My Cat Ran Away
  • Lost Cat Tips
  • Comments

February 2, 2007 at 3:20 pm
    (1) KENNETH says:

send catorlog to 23c green street apt 3 box 9 winthrop me 04364

February 6, 2007 at 4:36 am
    (2) J MacDonald says:

Good day, anything new on cat tracking systems for 07? Thank you.

February 9, 2007 at 11:49 pm
    (3) HJ says:

I am very interested in cat tracking devises, if anyone can tell me when they are out that would be fab.

March 16, 2007 at 3:36 pm
    (4) Jane says:

Can anyone tell me where I would purchase a Cat Traking device from in the Uk ?? One that’s not to expensive plz Thanks!

April 5, 2007 at 4:54 am
    (5) Alan says:

I am looking for GPS tracking system for my cats. Does anyone know of where I could locate one, as I have been looking but with no luck?

Thanks

April 5, 2007 at 4:56 am
    (6) Alan says:

Hi, I saw your request online regarding GPS tracking for cats. Did you have any luck, as I am still looking?

April 8, 2007 at 3:48 pm
    (7) Ralfa says:

try loCATOR” from Communication Specialists. Uses Radio direction finding, not GPS

April 20, 2007 at 9:14 pm
    (8) HJ says:
    April 26, 2007 at 9:20 am
    (9) Jackie says:

I want to purchase a cat tracking device for my cat. Can anyway tell me where to find the best one for the lowest cost. I would like to track the cat on my computer if possible..Thanx

May 5, 2007 at 7:35 pm
    (10) Ugene Thomas says:

Theres a company out in california which sells gps tracking for kids, for pets, for cars, even assets .. I tried out there pettracker and it works like a charm .. http://www.navistarusa.com its crazy how technology works these days!

May 15, 2007 at 7:58 am
    (11) Stephenie Moore says:

I ordered the pet gps tracker from them and it works great thanks ugene!

July 8, 2007 at 3:25 pm
    (12) John Alexander says:

just to note that there is a company selling what u guys are looking for. check out there website: http://www.thehearnow.com.
    Hope it helps.;)

July 18, 2007 at 3:04 am
    (13) Dan Marshal says:

I tried the navistarusa.com product(s) and it worked great for my kid / pets. The only thing I would have to complain about would be shipping time. Other then that Its great to know how fast technology is growing.

Dan Marshal
    AU

July 18, 2007 at 3:16 am
    (14) Jessica Stagger says:

Hey isnít NaviStarUSA.com the company that Paris Hilton got paid over 3 million dollars to advertize for? I remember I saw it on the E Channel. It was a neat device! I bet it costs probably an arm and a leg… go figure huh?

July 19, 2007 at 12:13 am
    (15) Jim Folkginero says:

I know this seem’s kind of out of line but I used to on my wife and it worked great !

July 19, 2007 at 5:08 pm
    (16) Frank Miller says:

Geezz Jim thanks for sharing that with us. I just wanted to thank this message board for putting me in touch with the company. :)

July 20, 2007 at 3:51 pm
    (17) Pat says:

I just bought the Loc8tor for my cat. A small tracking device is attached to her collar. A handheld receiver lets you find the cat within 600 ft. Works pretty good. Check it out at http://www.loc8tor.com and http://www.HammacherSchlemmer.com

August 25, 2007 at 8:12 pm
    (18) LW says:

Can anyone tell me where I would purchase a Cat Traking device from in the Uk ?? One thatís not to expensive plz Thanks!…… “Are u serious? Ur gonna put a chip into ur cat and ur looking for the cheapest one. Mights well call u Micheal Vick.”

October 11, 2007 at 7:13 am
    (19) Peter says:

Hi

Check out http://www.pawtrax.co.uk they may be able to help

November 24, 2007 at 7:10 pm
    (20) Martha says:

To Stephanie Moore and Ugene Thomas: I just went to that web site you recommended and they don’t any “pet tracker” system. They only have industrial, auto, and child trackers.

December 17, 2007 at 11:17 am
    (21) alexander says:

find it is easy, we are the best system of gps, contact us !

my email:gps_alexander@hotmail.com

December 22, 2007 at 11:49 am
    (22) Josh Rubin says:

Im in the UK and ordered with NaviStarUSA.com took a while to ship but the device works great. Lost her 3 times and found her all 3 times .. less then an hour.

July 2, 2008 at 4:38 am
    (23) david says:

I’m from the UK and am looking for some kind of GPS tracking device for our cat. apart from http://www.loc8tor.com I’ve also come across this site whcih does look promising – Track my Cat GPS System. The device looks as though its fairly lightweight (35g) and is waterproof. I can’t tell yet but it looks as though they indend to show the location of your cat on a google map…

July 2, 2008 at 6:20 pm
    (24) Franny Syufy says:

David, I checked out the site you mentioned. While it sounds interesting, it is clear that they are not going to be producing the units until a)They get enough “registrations of interest” (the linked page has not yet been built), and b)They find out how much money people would be willing to pay for such a device (per the poll on the main page.)

I’m sure not going to hold my breath. ;)

July 9, 2008 at 11:56 am
    (25) Cindy says:

I was hoping for updates regarding the best way to figure out where my cats are when they are outside… I have tried to find NaviStarUsa.com, but cannot…
    any advice?
    Thanks!

October 20, 2008 at 9:09 am
    (26) meryl says:

Any news on the cat gps ?I’m desperate

December 24, 2008 at 3:36 pm
    (27) Peter says:

PawTrax will be releasing their device called The Pat in Jan 09 which maybe suitable for cats have a look at http://www.the-pat.net

December 30, 2008 at 1:17 am
    (28) David says:

This page had update mid October still showing no viable option for the average domestic cat

January 30, 2009 at 12:57 pm
    (29) Demitrius says:

Secure-A-Pet has a device on the market that is suitable for large cats. GPS for pets looks like it’s becoming much more viable. They offer service over most of the US.

June 19, 2009 at 4:35 pm
    (30) kaitlyn says:

well im a 11 years old and well my paw paw goes hoghunting and his tracker is bad and we go th wrong way to the dogs so im just looking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

October 11, 2009 at 4:10 pm
    (31) steven tuckwell says:

There is a new site in the uk which is selling the latest gps and
    radio systems for even the smallest cats. I bought the live system
    for my cat and can simple find it location on my laptop by a simple
    Phone call. What’s more there is no ongoing subscription to pay for.
    Check out www. trackmycat.com

October 27, 2009 at 3:37 am
    (32) elisabeth says:

hi guys

have a look at http://www.tantau-shop.com

i have new gps tracking device for dogs or even persons such as kids or for people in case they need assistance stuff like that. They have great prices too

January 18, 2011 at 2:06 am
    (33) Natasha says:

Hi, i am natasha, worked in a gps tracker maunfacturer(personal gps tracker, vehicle gps tracker,watch gps tracker, pets gps tracker).

January 18, 2011 at 4:33 pm
    (34) Franny Syufy says:

Natasha, I have deleted your email link as a matter of About.com policy. Otherwise, readers would be sitting ducks for email spammers.

If you have a link to a cats GPS tracker, you may post it in this thread.

January 22, 2011 at 2:27 am
    (35) alan says:

There’s one small, maybe smallest, GPS Tracker for pets, named GPS-C29. Size only 61x34x12.5 mm. But where can I buy it?

January 23, 2011 at 12:07 pm
    (36) Franny Syufy says:

Good question, Alan. I Googled it and found the manufacturer’s shop – as you might expect, in China. However there was nothing on that site about retail availability, nor could I find any retailers in the search.

July 1, 2011 at 6:20 pm
    (37) shazzer says:

why are these so expensive, must be somewhere you can get cheaper in the uk