1. Home

A cat's anal glands are one of his/her most effective means of communication, but like other organs, they are sometimes subject to problems. Since I've seen a few references recently to impacted anal glands (a serious problem), both on the forum and in my email inbox, this seemed like a good time for reviewing the information.

If I could suggest just one New Year's resolution for cat owners, it would be: Familiarize yourself completely with your cat's body, normal state of health and activity level, so that you can immediately spot changes that might indicate problems. That would certainly include anal glands, where scooting on the floor or an unforgettably distinct odor would be a tipoff to possible problems.

Comments

November 5, 2006 at 10:00 am
(1) Karyn says:

My Cat (Russian Blue-16yrs) has all of a sudden starting expressing her anal glands. Sadie (the cat)will be laying around, most of the time on us, and start oozing out anal stuff. Our vet said there is nothing wrong with her. Is there anything we can do, its pretty offensive and of course, messy. Thanks for any advise!

January 8, 2007 at 4:02 pm
(2) Joanne says:

Bella is my 22 pound 6 year old cat. I have to use “baby=wipes” several times a day as she cannot reach her “private area.”
She has chronic anal gland secretion… and I am hoping you will tell me how I can Clean her. The vet charges me $45 for the visit, plus $27 for cleaning out her anal glands.
Could you help me?
Thanks…

Joanne
jolough@comcast.net

PS Bella has been on a diet for almost 4 years with no gain nor loss of weight. She does not overeat. 1/2 can of wet friskies (tuna can size) and 1/4 cup Iams weight control dry food is her daily diet. Test shows no abnormalities. Something in her genes.

March 5, 2007 at 2:57 pm
(3) Denise G. says:

I recently have been having a problem with my cat Niles and needing his anal glands cleaned routinly. Our family has made the decision to have his anal sacs removed. I can’t say it was an easy decision, but he has been experiecing a lot of discomfort and because he is over weight he is unable to clean ones self. I will let you know how it goes.

November 27, 2007 at 5:35 pm
(4) annelise says:

what does anal glands mean?

June 4, 2008 at 9:49 am
(5) Paul says:

My 17 year old cat has extremely swollen (golf ball size) anal sacs. Is this a vet problem? Any idea of cost? Quality of life expected?
Thanks

June 9, 2008 at 10:52 pm
(6) diana says:

how can i clean my cat’s anal glands, i mean like spueeze that stuff, also how much does it cost to take the anal gland out, and whats the anal gland for?

ps. hes 3 months old

August 8, 2008 at 10:26 am
(7) Claire Llewellin says:

Hi,

I have 3 cats, 1 girl(5yrs)& 2 boys (5yrs and 2yrs) and all three have been letting their glands go recently – could it be the hot weather ? Also they have been pooping alittle when their glands go off which absolutely skints. I feed them a whiskers pouch each twice aday with biscuits and water.

Is there something I can do to prevent their little accidents ?

Thanks,

Claire

October 21, 2008 at 1:33 pm
(8) bb says:

Claire,have you read about fiber in your cats diet?Is the cat still having problems?bb

November 11, 2008 at 1:40 pm
(9) Allison says:

Help! My cat has to travel to the vet every couple of months for anal gland expression. I can always tell that they need expressing when her behind(butt) get that crusty look like she hasnt cleaned it.She has been on diet food and also fiber for the past 2 years and she hates going to the vet being she is a inside cat and does not like the outside. She is 5 yrs old and weighs about 13 lbs. can anyone help?

January 8, 2009 at 9:25 pm
(10) KG says:

My cat is 6 years old and every now and then she smells fishy. I do not see that she has any type of anal drainage or needs to be cleaned as she is constantly cleaning there. I do use a wet wipe and clean her up anyways and it seems to taken care of the smell for about a day. I just read about anal sac expression and how it smells fishy and her anal sacs need to be drained. Any idea of the vet cost to have this done?

April 18, 2009 at 8:30 pm
(11) Takara says:

My cat is 13 months old and she has been scooting her butt across the floor for a while now. She does it about 2 to 4 times a week. I looked to see if the area around her anal glands are swollen but they are not. What should I do? She seems to be fine other than scooting across the floor.
Thanks for your time

April 22, 2010 at 1:10 pm
(12) Cindy Green says:

Number 11 the scooting can also be parsites so I would take a stool sample in to your vet.

April 7, 2012 at 9:13 am
(13) bd000580 says:

Using evaporated milk once a month usually loosens my cats impacted glands. Get them to drink it 100ml at a time

April 28, 2013 at 1:34 pm
(14) junecs1 says:

does giving cat evaporated milk help with anal gland problems my cat needs her glands emptied about every three weeks. I feel so bad for her.she is 15lbs.maintains this weight.

December 17, 2013 at 1:22 am
(15) mdat says:

Bdooo580 thanks so much for your info about the evaporated milk I tried this and the very next day my Gypsy girl no longer had that sickening smell. I have spent a small fortune so I hope my vetinarian will pass it on. THANKS SO MUCH!!!