1. Home

Raising newborn kittens may be the most challenging, time-consuming task you've ever attempted, and can be both intensely rewarding and heartbreaking. If you do not have the time or the emotional stamina to deal with the potential of losing kittens you've invested your heart in, you might want to leave the job to people who are trained and experienced. Little lives are at stake here.
The photo shown here is my Jaspurr at 3 days, in his birth home. Photo © Franny Syufy

Comments

April 13, 2006 at 5:01 pm
(1) Jen M. says:

Oh my gosh! Jaspurr is so adorable! Aww! He is so cute. You actually had him when he was 3 weeks, wow thatz amazing!
Do you have any suggestions of a cat breed that would be good for an on-the-go small family?

April 13, 2006 at 5:09 pm
(2) Inge Sadler says:

I run a newborn orphaned kitten rescue. Last year we had 108 newborns. We call them our bottle babies. Lots of work but ever so rewarding.

April 13, 2006 at 6:09 pm
(3) Daphne Williams says:

Jaspurr is soooo cute. I have raised many babies and helped new mommies get this down. Losing babies is so very heartbreaking, I cry for days. I love cats like I can’t explain. Each one is so special and each loss is special. Long live thses wonderful little lives!

April 14, 2006 at 6:45 am
(4) maha82 says:

Cute cat….it’s colour like my cat

April 20, 2006 at 11:34 pm
(5) Sherrie Kelly says:

Well, I an 8 month old pregnany kitty showed up and I am keeping her. She had what the vet said was a preemie looking kitty instead of a runt. I had
to bottle feed him day 1, and today 8 days later he died. She still has 6 more, and I am keeping another kitty and that makes 5 girls and 5 boys. Not
too mention 2 retreivers.

Your Jaspur is so cute! I got my Cleopatra at 3 weeks and she was the tiny one in the litter and she is fiesty… Good luck with him!

April 25, 2006 at 9:55 am
(6) Elizabeth Brassfield says:

My husband, John, accidently, moved a wood pile, and just missed running over with the tractor tire, three kittens. The mommy, came and got the two, but left the third one. After 36 hours, we took the kitten into the house. I went to the vet, and picked up formula for it,bottle, and eye dropper.Dr. Kim told me, every three hours to fed it, and to wipe the “behind” off, so it could urinate.(I never knew why, mom cats wipe the little ones, so I found out) It’s so cute! But we think our little poodle, is a bit jealous.
All people say is “good luck” as we figure the kitten is 2-3 weeks old.

April 25, 2006 at 3:57 pm
(7) cats says:

Jenn M.:

We didn’t get Jaspurr when he was three weeks old, but we visited him and his littermates regularly. He and Joey came to us at 6.5 weeks, because the lady with the momcat said the kittens were “driving her crazy.”

As you probably already know, kittens should stay with their mothers at least eight weeks, if at all possible, and preferably 12 weeks. They need that time to learn how to socialize with other cats and to get the full benefit of their mother’s immune system.

April 26, 2006 at 9:57 am
(8) naomi says:

jaspurr looks like my little kitten noah.

April 28, 2006 at 5:00 pm
(9) hanane says:

hey everybody, i just got a new kitten thats like 2 or maybe 3 months old, i actually had her brought to me from her mother i haev had her for 1 week and she still SCREAMS her wits out! is it that she is not used to being without her mother, i hope you can help me, for im afraid she might die from screaming too much, please help its an urgent matter!!!!!

December 22, 2006 at 7:24 pm
(10) Katy says:

I love kittens so much and I just got a new one, Alice she is a domestic tabby and is the tiniest thing ever!!! I love her to bits!!!

January 1, 2007 at 8:09 am
(11) Alana says:

Aww so cute, i had a first mother cat who in 24 hours lost 2 of her 4 kittens, so sad and they were so cute, there names were rosmary and thyme and me and my cat were devastated :’(

March 12, 2007 at 7:30 pm
(12) Lori says:

Your cat is so beautiful and I still wished I had mine back, he looked just like your baby. I miss him so much.

April 2, 2007 at 2:50 pm
(13) Nancy Suter says:

Hi, my cat baby just had 4 kittens they are 6 days old and i keep having to help her with them, well my question is how much can I touch them before they get sick. I’ve always heard that if you touch baby kittens their eyes will swell up and puss and everything else.

April 27, 2007 at 3:58 pm
(14) sterling says:

our cat is having kittens really soon but we’re scared cause she has dissappeared and we thinkshe had her kittens in the forest and we have two owls at our place so we’re really scared.
we just hope that when she comes back for food we can follow her.

June 21, 2007 at 6:39 pm
(15) Gabriela says:

I was given a pregnant cat who had six kittens. Today we lost one of them, the smallest. I’m very very distressed and have not been able to find the little body. I believe the mother tried to get rid of her because this happened once before with the same kitten. I’m very frustrated with this momma cat and i dont know what to do. The kittens are three weeks old but the one thats lost only looks a week old.

July 6, 2007 at 5:47 pm
(16) Sarah says:

ur cat is so cute i love cats and kittens so much

July 23, 2007 at 7:46 pm
(17) jade says:

wow!he is so small and cute i had 15 cats at one time so i know a thing or two about kittens

July 24, 2007 at 12:07 pm
(18) sehar says:

i know raising kittens is very challenging i have four puppies and 2 dogs..your kitty is soo cute take goood care of it and at the end you will seehow rewarding it is

July 25, 2007 at 6:13 pm
(19) Connie says:

Hello,
We found 3 newborn kittens 3 days ago. They were left in wet, cold grass. They were scattered. A dog chased the mother away. (she was wild) I waited to see if she woud come back and she didn’t. The kittens were cold. I took them home, warmed them up and got some milk in them. When we went back that evening to see if the mother had come back, we heard another baby crying. I had to crawl under a trailer to get it out. It was very cold. I took it home and put it with the others. This is day 4. I have to feed them every two hours around the clock. I am surprised they are all still alive. Two of them lost their umbilical cords. I feel terrible, I want them to be with their mother but I can’t find her. She is wild and I don’t know if she would take care of them if I did leave them. I guess I will continue to feed them and hope I can find them good homes. I can’t keep them. Two are tan/orange and two are grey and white. The mother is a long haired grey and white. They are so cute, If anyone wants kittens, I need to find them a good home.
Ohio, close to Canton. an hour from Cleveland.

August 14, 2007 at 12:14 pm
(20) kayla says:

that dosnt help me at all cuz my kitten is pooping /peeing all over the place

September 25, 2007 at 8:25 pm
(21) samy says:

me and my sis are 9 and 13. we found 5 kittens under our deck and we did not tell our dad. should we tell him? my email is monkeyheadtwo@yahoo.com

August 7, 2008 at 6:48 pm
(22) Bella says:

I have 2 baby kittens and the mom left them on my porch steps yesterday. Their behinds are infested with some kind of bug and is bleeding. Any sugestions on how to help it.

August 16, 2008 at 12:04 pm
(23) jamie says:

i have a cat that is light brown and white

March 21, 2009 at 12:00 am
(24) felicia says:

Hi there!!! i need an advice. I have a female and it is her 1st pregnancy. yesterday, she gave birth to one baby kitten around 12.00noon and the 2nd one at about 7.30pm at nite. unfortunately the 2nd one died immediately. i was so sad. this is my first having cats as my pet and i do not know much about cat. Is my cat having a normal delivery coz the gap tht it took to give birth to the 2nd one is about 7 hours? and to my surprise last nite, i saw my cat ate its own died baby. is tht normal??

April 26, 2010 at 10:05 am
(25) linda says:

hi this is more of a question and not a comment if someone wouldnt mind answering. So i’ve heard that a mother will not take care of the kittens if they smell other sents on them. If this is true i dont know but we have two litters coming which one is here…so the question is..How long before my children can pet or thouch them and is there anything special i should be doing for momma or the babies!? any help is much appreciated!

May 17, 2010 at 1:08 pm
(26) nan says:

We adopted an unwanted pregnant 4 month old kittie- She was just a baby herself. Well, the other night at midnight she got out of our bed and went in the closet. At 1:30AM I peeked in to see 4 HUGE KITTENS! I mean, these guys (and girls) are PLUMP, full of fur, mewing, nursing. A friend thinks they were about 2-3 weeks overdue. We’ve had kitties before and they have NEVER been so developed! And Mom is a smallish calico!

June 21, 2010 at 7:00 pm
(27) Brooke Benner says:

Me and my grandma just found 3 10 day old kittens EST. there eyes are barley open and we are screwed because we do not have feed for it we r giving them milk till the person with the car gets here i had to clim into a trailer filled with tires. one kitten was on the ground outside the trailer one kitten was wedged between 2 tires and we took those two up. i had a gut feeling there were more so i went out there 30 minutes later to hear a extremly faint call for help. The cat was stuck under a piece of wood but i did not find him easy after 20 minutes looking i saw him and pulled him out. So I ran to the house with a kitten in my arms :) this happend at 2:30 today

June 21, 2010 at 9:48 pm
(28) Franny Syufy says:

Brooke, blessings on you and your grandma for saving these kittens. At 10 days, they would be still much too young for anything but “formula.” In a pinch, you could try my Kitty Glop recipe. Since you probably don’t have any nursing bottles for them yet, they might suck it off your finger (be sure to wash your hands well first).

Be sure to read the article linked above. And good luck to all of you!

July 6, 2010 at 11:43 am
(29) Bob says:

You people who are letting your momma cats get pregnant are irresponsible in the extreme! Unless you are going to take care of the entire litter throughout the lives of each of the members, you have to realize that there are not enough homes for them all! Even if you take care of them, letting them out of the house at any time will almost guarantee they will impregnate another cat (or be impregnated themselves, in the case of females). For God’s sake, spay and neuter your pets!! It’s not that expensive, and it saves so much of this sort of heartache.

August 11, 2010 at 10:29 am
(30) schi-Lee Bennett says:

hi im 15 and my cat gave birth to one single kit but is still pregnant ive never been in a situation with newborn kits before and would like advice

May 16, 2011 at 10:40 pm
(31) sandy says:

I have always been a dog owner. I have never owned a cat but God sent me a little kitten. OK, my sons dog found this new kitten. We do not know why the mama just put it in a hole and left it but I just could not just leave this kitten. I fed it with an eyedropper. I had to pry its mouth open to feed it. I guess it worked because he is a big healthy boy that has been neutered. I never thought that I could love a cat but I love my “SPORT”, thats his name.

March 15, 2014 at 2:20 pm
(32) Amy C says:

my son and his girlfriend have an abandoned pregnant cat who the neighbor left,she killed her last litter, wondering what to do with this upcoming litter, then she is getting fixed!!