1. Home

Although sometimes cats will get along swimmingly in just a couple of hours, you should not be surprised to have a battle on your hands if you try to introduce your new cat too quickly. The time you spend on this all-important process will be saved exponentially by not having to break up conflicts every day. Also, the first couple of weeks can set the tone for the relationship for a long time to come, so "getting it right" the first time will save a lot of hassles later on.

Suggested Reading

Comments

May 27, 2007 at 8:12 pm
(1) Nancy Brewster says:

My two female cats (age 5 and 6) are having a problem with our new male cat (age 1). The male cat is very lovie. He is declawed and the two girls aren’t. I’m afraid that the girls will hurt the boy. I love my new cat and don’t want to return it back to the humame society. We got the new cat
5-26-07. What can we do to get the girls to like the young male. Thanks NancyMoire@Aol.com

July 16, 2007 at 8:09 am
(2) Mellisa says:

Well ive just got a cat from the neighbors and i brought it in to meet my old cat which is about 1 and he attacked the new kitten who is about 4 months old wat can i do to stop the fighting and make them get alone cause i wouldnt want to take the kitten back!

July 16, 2007 at 9:42 am
(3) Franny Syufy says:

Nancy and Mellissa: Rather than my “reinventing the wheel,” try reading the linked article BEFORE posting questions. Both your questions are answered in the article.

October 30, 2007 at 11:40 am
(4) Anna says:

We have followed the introduction process as you advised. In the first three weeks of meeting each other (both are spayed adult females), our old cat was only hissing to the new cat, and the new cat was very friendly toward the old cat. They eat at the same place (separate bowls), sleep in the same bed, and share the litter boxes (two boxes). We play with them and have treats for them. However, suddenly the situation gets worse in the fourth week; they start to fight (the old cat starts first)! We donít understand why? What can we do to make them peace together?

November 3, 2007 at 11:53 pm
(5) Gus says:

We’ve just adapted a new female cat (Chelsea) & we’re having problems getting her introduced to our Male (Mico) cat; both cats live outdoors in our big garden & we love and adore both of them. We’ll appreciate your help. Thx

March 2, 2008 at 3:28 pm
(6) Glenn says:

We recently adopted a female kitten to the household we already have a 6 year old female cat, 2 year old dog
While the kitten and dog have bonded Our old cat is frighten of the kitten and wont come into the house, and when we do bring her inside she’s run’s straight back outside, can you pls help us

July 23, 2008 at 2:34 pm
(7) Amanda says:

Hi! Ok I have read the article and here’s my question with a little background. I have 4 cats. 3 females and one male. I have always had no problems with the introduction part of the process but my concern is my daughter brought home a 6 week old male kitten. What is everyone’s experience with two males in house? I’ve read mixed stories about spraying and fighting. All of my cats are fixed and this new one will be as soon as he’s old enough but for now… I was just hoping to get some help to know if there is anything different I should do or if 2 males is a bad decision. Thanks a bunch.

September 17, 2011 at 7:42 pm
(8) Crista says:

My oldest sister is moving back in and bring her feral cat Sweet Pea (she is 2) with her. Unforcinitally she is very under socalised. She isn’t acustomed to anyone else being around her. And now we have to Introduce her to my cat Tabbi (she is 10) who is a rescue. We have had her for five years now and she has been through several homes. She is a very sweet cat with me but no one else realy, she is very tolerent of them however. She already has several issues like peeing around the house. She has been doing very well in the past few months and I am worried that by Sweet Pea moving in that I will be forced to put her down. Last winter they meet and Tabbi didn’t take it well. She was very aggressive and Angery, even after Sweet Pea was gone. I had to frebrese everything, including her toys before she would play with them. Is there any advice on how to make the Intro better this time so that I don’t have to have my cat put down ? Since it will be my cat that has to go becuse my sister will threaten suiside if it is even suggested that Sweet Pea be rehomed.

February 15, 2014 at 11:32 am
(9) Susan Flanagin says:

Jenny is 3 and was given to me as a scared 3 wk old kitten who had to be taught how to get out of trees when she got into them! She loves the back yard and the squirrels and lets them play and plays with them. Then my neighbor died and left 2 adult neutered males who had to be taught to come to our garage to eat. That was in July and the front yard cats were content to stay there, but now they want to come into Jenny’s area. We bring Jenny in at night but can’t with the males as they spray on everything. Now we can’t get her stay out of trees when they go back there and I don’t know how to fix this. The males do not chase her after she’s in the tree and in fact their mere presence sends her up before they can say hi. They know how each other smells its just Jenny won’t stay long enough to get introduced.