1. Home

Cat lovers all have personal terms that we use to describe cat antics, their body language, and their individual idiosyncrasies. Does "annoyance ears" come to mind when looking at the picture to the right? Do you know immediately what a cat is doing when someone says "making bread?" How about the "meatloaf" posture?

Thanks to About Cats forum members for coming up with an assorted group of adjectives describing all kinds of cat postures and activities, all guaranteed to bring a vivid mental picture. Feel free to share your own personal descriptions of cats' various body postures and actions in the comments section below.

Comments

March 18, 2008 at 12:04 pm
(1) alison says:

When a cat is all cuddled up and happy my mom and I both do what we call the “love blink” where we get eye contact and blink at the cats very slowly and they do it back to us. Its kind of like an “I love you” or just “your presence comforts me”. I’ve never had a cat that didn’t do the love blink back to us.

March 18, 2008 at 4:51 pm
(2) Sue says:

Abby does a variation on the “surfer dude,” which I call the “otter pose.” She lies down on her stomach with her body more or less straight, chin on floor, and her front legs out to the sides and bent back at the joint, almost like bat wings. I have no idea why – I’ve never seen another cat do that. All I can figure is, it must be comfortable for her.

March 18, 2008 at 8:28 pm
(3) Athena's mom says:

I had a cat, Kashka, who would be walking along and then suddenly plop down and fall asleep. I called them “Gravity Attacks.” (And no, he wasn’t epileptic.)

I read it somewhere that all cats, even th e big cats, signal that they recognize a relative by lowering their head and pushing it against the other cat’s head. I have had cats, and have on e now, that does this. Mostly when she climbs on my lap and then climbs up my chest. She’ll touch my chin with her face. Sometimes when I know it’s coming I’ll lower my head so our foreheads touch. I call it “Head Butting.”

March 18, 2008 at 8:50 pm
(4) John & Melissa says:

I think all cats look so cool when they are in the “Buddha Mode”. My Simba looks very regal when he sits/lays like that. He appears all black except for his striking white chest. Also does any one out there have a cat that lays down completely flat? My Tiger lays with his front legs extended in front of him and his back legs strecth out in back of him with each paw facing outward…My wife is amazed as how he lays like that…none of our other cats have ever layed in that position.

March 20, 2008 at 3:04 pm
(5) Betty J says:

A cat laying on his/her back is showing a submissive pose to you or another cat.

March 20, 2008 at 3:22 pm
(6) Cynthia N says:

When one of our cats crawls under the bedspread after the bed’s been made up and all you see is a lump, we say “that cat’s in denial.” Like he’s gone awol from the world!

March 20, 2008 at 4:08 pm
(7) Roxi says:

My husband and I live in a 2 story house that we share with 2 dogs and 1 cat. Dogs stay downstairs, however, Angel Kitty has her “own” floor kind of. Her food dishes and cat box are all upstairs in one of the spare bathrooms. When someone heads upstairs, if it isn’t time to eat, Angel Kitty just races us up the stairs. (she’s gotta be first, ya know!) But, if it is dinnertime, she will let one of us know, hey, I’m ready and head for the stairs. She will wait for me on the second level of stairs and when my head peeps up to where I can see her, she leans over and “kisses” me on my nose! And then of course, takes off at breakneck speed to the foodbowl!!!

March 25, 2008 at 2:02 pm
(8) Wendy says:

The Chin Dive I also call the Flip and Crash. One of my cats, Erin, did that. He’d throw himself down head first, then flop over onto his back when he wanted attention.
Also the Dolphin Jump, one of my other cats would rise up on her hind legs and hit her shoulders against my leg or outstretched hand, and resembled a dolphin rolling its head and dorsal fin out of the water.

April 1, 2008 at 1:03 pm
(9) Vimal says:

My cat Baby, appropritely name, likes to do what I can only describe as “suckling”. When sitting on the couch she would jump up on my lap facing towards me. She will then grab my shirt with her front paws, sniff another part of the shirt and start suckling on the shirt like a baby that is breastfeeding. Of course she’s purring away happily when she does that.