1. Home

Franny Syufy

Most Wanted Cat Inventions

By January 7, 2010

We've seen a plethora of new products for cats over the past decade, many of which have been received with gratitude. However, over the past several years many of my readers have been voices in the wilderness, crying out for even more improvements. Two of these stand out prominently:

1. A Workable GPS Locator for Cats
    Because I'm a tech nerd, I assumed that a microchip would be developed that could contain a GPS locator. Since that apparently isn't happening, the search is on for a usable GPS collar/harness for cats. Despite claims and promises, one hasn't yet appeared in a worldwide market. Yet. Of course, if more people would commit to keeping their cats indoors, the demand wouldn't be there.
  2. A Battery-Powered Water Fountain
    Sometimes it takes a great deal of creativity to find an appropriate place for a drinking fountain with a convenient electrical outlet. Then again, if you're like me, you worry that the cord might fall into the fountain. Secondary to this request is one for a non-plastic drinking fountain.
If you had tons of money and could hire an inventor, what product would you most desire? Share your ideas with other readers, and I'll post my favorites in a new article on this site.
Photo Credit: © Franny Syufy

Facebook | Twitter | Free Newsletters

Comments

January 8, 2010 at 6:49 am
(1) Barry333 says:

How about an easy-to-clean water fountain? Everything I’ve heard about water fountains indicates cleaning is very important and difficult.

January 8, 2010 at 6:53 am
(2) Barry333 says:

How about a sensor that could be attached to your bathroom faucet that would sense the presence of a cat and turn on the water a trickle? They make ‘em for an outdoor faucet.

January 8, 2010 at 4:59 pm
(3) Sue says:

The new Cat-It water fountain (not the domed one, the one that looks like a white volcano with a blue top) is really easy to clean.

I’d love the perfect litter box with the perfect scoop. I’m working on the box design myself, because the perfect one isn’t out there – if Audrey, Abby, and my husband Mike all approve it (and Sebastian can fit comfortably in it), I’ll know it must be perfect! Still looking for the best scoop.

January 11, 2010 at 11:53 am
(4) TERIE says:

I’D LIKE A LIGHT DEVICE OF SOME KIND WHICH WOULD AUTOMATICALLY KEEP MY LAZY CATS CHASING WHEN I’M NOT AROUND.

January 22, 2010 at 12:46 pm
(5) Chris says:

I’d like a motion activated lamp to put over some of the cats’ beds so they can get warm when they want to & save on the electricity bill. This would also be good for the stray cat we shelter in our garage.

November 8, 2010 at 12:48 am
(6) Barry says:

This invention is new and useful

Microbiology for the cat owner

Microbes have been shown to cause more deaths than all other causes combined, either directly from an infection or indirectly by stressing the immune system so much that most any microbe can invade the body and cause life threatening diseases.
Microbes are organisms that cannot be seen with the naked eye, such as viruses, bacteria, mold and funguses. Cat owners rarely want to know which microbe caused which disease but instead just want to know how to provide a long and uneventful life for their cat, with or without what their veterinarian has to offer.
Microbes can only enter a healthy catís body via his/her lungs, food or water. While commercial cat food has the potential to be contaminated from time to time, the total number of cats involved due to contaminated food is very small. While everyone understands that the air can contain all sorts of microbes, the life span of airborne microbes is limited but there is one area where airborne microbes can settle and grow: the catís water bowl.
Arguably the most respected cat expert, Susan Little, DVM, Diplomate ABVP (Feline) said ďThe best protection against any infectious disease is eliminating possible exposure.Ē
In order to eliminate exposure, there are only three successful strategies:
1. Provide a cleanable non porous material in the watering station such as glass or ceramic, or
2. Trap microbes from the water before they can enter a catís body, or
3. Provide a proven device with the capabilities to kill microbes before they can enter a catís body.
All Glacier Point cleanable ceramic cat fountains have a HEPA grade filter that traps most all microbes. One model offered by Glacier Point called the IMS model includes ultraviolet light technology to continuously kill all microbes.

March 27, 2012 at 7:30 pm
(7) Deon Lee says:

I have 15 cats and they are all indoors. Most of they time they get along great but there a few personailites who just seem to pick on other personalities. I have been to the vet several times to have abscesses treated surgically. It has cost me money and time to treat the wounded cat. It has caused me to be awakened in the middle of the night by a cat fight. My house is not big enough to provide territory for each one. I try sitting there with a squirt bottle of water handy to try to ward off attacks. The cats have learned not to engage in such nasty behavior when I am around.So I would like an device that can be attached to the collar of the cat being attacked (aka atackee) that sends out a signal when the attacker gets to a certain distance and causes a sound, a vibration, or a spray of air or an annoying scent to be relased from another device on the atacker’s collar. This way the atacker will learn that, even when they get close to the atackee, something bad happens and I don;t even have to be present. After awhile, the attacker will learn that avoidance is the way to go and I, hopefully, will not have any more abrupt awakenings or vet bills. I have thought of using a small dog shock collar but I don’t like the idea of shocking my babies and I would need to be there consistantly to witness the behavior in order to administer the shock for the cat to learn. The point is to have the negative consistantly occur when no human is present.

March 28, 2012 at 2:37 am
(8) Franny Syufy says:

What a clever idea, Deon. I can empathize with your problem because I have the same situation with my four cats, and I can only imagine how difficult is must be to monitor 15. The collar idea sounds workable, but I think the best signal on the attacker cat’s collar would be either a short spray of air, or a vibration. Sounds or scents might be just as alarming to the attackee cat, which would defeat the purpose. Perhaps some electronic genius might come along and read this, and figure out a prototype. We can always hope…

September 14, 2012 at 12:13 am
(9) Bill says:

Check out this idea. A new type of litter box. The gravity litter box!

Let me know what you think.

September 15, 2012 at 12:26 pm
(10) Franny Syufy says:

Bill, theoretically, it sounds like a workable solution, however (at least on my monitor), the diagram was very confusing, and it was impossible for me to visualize the actual dimensions of the box itself. It just looked like a tall, skinny kind of funnel with something sticking out the side. I suppose the website where you entered it wouldn’t allow it, however, if you had a working model with a video showing how it worked, it would be easier to understand.