1. Home

Franny Syufy

Does Your Cat Bring You Gifts?

By April 16, 2010

I've had quite a history with gift-bearing cats. Our Bubba used to routinely bring me tiny green snakes from our yard and deposit them next to my favorite stool at the kitchen counter. One Thanksgiving afternoon he broke up our party when he appeared at the glass slider dragging a huge clump of water hyacinths, much like the Creature From the Black Lagoon.

Nowadays, what Jenny lacks in creativity, she makes up for in persistence. I spend the better part of the day working in my upstairs office and Jenny is often lonely for my companionship. She's figured out that if she can provide interesting enough toys, she can convince me to come downstairs and play with her. The first time, I heard plaintive loud meows coming from downstairs and went over to the balcony to look down. There was Jenny looking up at me, guarding one of my fuzzy slippers that she had dragged from the bedroom. Since then, four different slippers have migrated from the bedroom to various places in the living room.

The latest was the fuzzy striped "inchworm" toy in this photo. I had found it in a pile of laundry my son had put in the laundry room - Lord knows where it came from. Since it was clean, I put it on top of the washer a couple of days ago. Yesterday I found it lying draped across the back of the sofa Jenny and I share at night, where she had dragged it. She apparently considers it her new "best friend," and I took this photo last night with my cell phone.

I'm trying to figure out how to spend more time with my lonely girl. I suspect that many of my readers also have gift-bearing cats. If your comments justify my suspicions, perhaps we'll have a new Show and Tell feature where you can post your own photo and stories.
Photo Credit: © Franny Syufy (taken with my cell phone)

Comments

April 16, 2010 at 8:41 pm
(1) Anne says:

Snickers is an enjoyable cat who loves to play fetch and hates to be ignored, except when she wants to sleep. She brings us her “babies” a beenie baby leopard and a beenie baby elephant. She does this when, after we’ve gone to bed, it is time for her to play. Being naturally nocturnal, she sleeps during the day, and is full of energy at night. She brings her babies to the hallway at the living room end and cries. She knows it only takes a few minutes of her mournful lamenting to get my husband out of bed, and at that time of the night he’s not very tolerant of the behavior. He throws one of the beenies into the living room and then goes back to bed. If she’s lucky enough to get me to get up, she knows that I’ll stay up long enough to play until she gets bored. Then I can go back to bed.
I do have a question that maybe someone can answer. We play fetch with wadded up pieces of paper, large enough so that it’s not something she can, or wants to swallow. We throw it, she runs up to it, bats it around a little, then brings it back. After about 20 to 30 minutes of this she disappears with it, and when we go into the kitchen we will usually find the paper “ball” disintegrating in her water bowl. Her babies are occasionally in her water bowl “drinking” from it, as well. Any thoughts? Thanks.

April 17, 2010 at 12:45 am
(2) Jeanne says:

I had to laugh at Franny and the green snakes. Back in the days when my cats were allowed outside (I know better now) I used to get snakes, baby rabbits and June bugs (yuck). Now that they stay inside, I usually get toys or La Bird. The other day I noticed all 6 of them with their noses pressed against the bottom of my stove. I pulled out the drawer and, yep, a mouse flew out with the cats chasing it. Today I woke up to find the mouse presented to me at the foot of my bed. I praised them all and quickly got rid of it. They were so proud and pleased to protect mommy. It’s never dull around a house with cats!

April 17, 2010 at 3:18 am
(3) jetgirl86 says:

Ripley likes to share with me, and when she manages to catch a giant-sized American roach, she gleefully deposits it on me when I’m sleeping – much to her entertainment, of course, because the thing is very much alive! As for Snickers, I think she may be “claiming” the dish, and even possibly “burying” it. Ripley’s famous for that….

April 17, 2010 at 7:43 am
(4) Becky says:

My Sadie used to leave her favorite toy in her water bowl from time to time. She had that toy from kittenhood, and was buried with it last year. I think it originated as a small skein of yarn. I got her at 6 months and it had already transformed into a pair of semi-felted small yarn balls connected by a few strands. It wasn’t really string anymore so I didn’t worry about it. Sometimes she’d carry it around in her mouth and mew. She would leave it on my bed and my desk chair from time to time all her life. I sometimes think it was her pretend kitten. (She never had kittens, she was neutered early enough.)

April 17, 2010 at 7:45 am
(5) Becky says:

Oh — Sadie was 17 when she died, after a long, grouchy but happy (purrs mean happy, right?) life.

April 17, 2010 at 10:38 am
(6) Johpr1957 says:

Simba was the first car I ever had to display this behavior. He would get into our cloths basket and come downstairs meowing while carrying a sock (sometimes just a single sock, but most of the time a pair of socks that had been “balled” up) and drop it in front of me. I would say “good boy” and always pet him. He still does this only now he will sometime choose a cat toy, but what ever he picks up, he starts meowing in a very loud voice and won’t stop till he’s brought it to me and I say “good boy”.
Now Nettie had a thing for a tiny “Erin” Beanie Baby my wife had on her dresser. Nettie would jump up there, grab it, and play with it for hours. Throwing it up in the air and then pouncing on it when it landed. It got lost so then she started taking a Beanie Baby duck from my wife’s dresser. This duck was a regular size Beanie, yet she would grab it off the dresser and run downstairs with it, again to toss it up in the air and pounce on it when it landed. The strange thing about Nettie is she really likes toys that are green! Out of 4 of the Tiny Beanie Babies on my wife’s dresser, Nettie would only take the “Erin” one. The duck was a Malard, and was mostly green. When I would buy a pack of assorted toy mice, Nettie would always go for the green one.
Nettie’s Mom, Patches, since she was a feral cat, she would bring mice and ground squirrels that she caught and leave them at our door step. My wife was not thrilled with that gesture.
And where we live now, a new feral cat, who we call Patch, has decided we deserve to get gifts of mice left at our back door. Once again, my wife is not thrilled with these gifts.
Ah! The Circle of Life!

April 18, 2010 at 5:18 am
(7) shirley says:

we have a black cat called Nigel.He has a fetish for bringing us gifts of plants and leaves,which are not small. Big pieces of grapevine. flax leaves.and clumps of grass to name a few.It must be such an effort for him to drag them home, as they are not near our house.We do thank him alot.

April 19, 2010 at 2:36 pm
(8) Franny Syufy says:

Shirley, I’m inviting you to use my brand new Show & Tell on Gift-Bearing Cats. I was so inspired by reading your story about Nigel, along with several other of the comments here that I wasted no time publishing it.

April 19, 2010 at 11:23 am
(9) Betsy says:

I have a 14 year old maine coon named Baxter who is missing a front leg. Everyday he goes into the basement and brings up laundry from under the laundry chute. I can throw everything back down the chute when I go to work in the morning and when we come home at noon for lunch, at least 5 balled socks, a washcloth, mittens (in the winter) a kitchen towel, underpants, etc. I had a neighbor let in a handyman one day while I was at work, and when I came home later, there was a pair of my underwear laying in the middle of the front room. (The neighbor & handyman must have wondered about that!) OnceI found a long nightgown on the basement stairs, about 3/4 of the way up, where he had finally abandoned it, as he must’ve have been stepping on it too, but the top of it was pulled up to a “point” with teeth marks in it.
He now leaves things in every room. At night if I’m sitting in front of the tv and he brings me something I will thank him and tell him how good he is. You can hear him in the basement meowing really loud with his mouth full — a muffled bizarre sound. We can hear him through the furnace vents. The other 3 cats eats breakfast and go take naps in the sunbeams by the windows. Not Baxter, he has a job to do and for only having 3 legs, he sure gets his exercise making about 8 trips a day. I love that boy. He is the only one who comes when he is called too. He is such a character who brings so much joy to our lives.

April 19, 2010 at 1:27 pm
(10) Franny Syufy says:

Betsy, that does it! I not only smiled, I was LOL when I thought about your neighbor and handyman and the “runaway underwear” in the front room. Baxter is a most wonderful cat, and I hope you will be one of the first to use my new Show & Tell on Gift-Bearing Cats.

April 19, 2010 at 1:01 pm
(11) Becky says:

Betsy, your story about Baxter really made me smile!

April 22, 2010 at 1:54 pm
(12) karen says:

this story is from 20yrs ago and not my cat, but had to share it—
One day I was leaving my apartment and saw a cat sitting on the stairs. It was pawing at it’s face. I realized it’s collar was stuck it it’s mouth (collar to big), so I carefully went up to it and said it’s going to be ok. I took the collar out of it’s mouth and made it smaller so it would not happen again. When I came back after work—there on my door mat was a dead bird (never happened before) and I still believe to this day that the kitty brought me that bird as a thank you gift!!!

April 22, 2010 at 2:15 pm
(13) Pat aka HomeRumKitties says:

My tuxedo sisters are quite the huntresses.
Kit brings me the plastic ring toys that she so vocally “hunts” for upstairs. I hear her doing her wild huntress meowing and yeowling for several minutes, then she thumps down the steps and drops a ring at my feet. Yesterday it was a green one.
Molly hunts for 3 specific stuffed toys at any given time. Although she doesn’t bring them to me, I hear her doing the huntress meowing like hers sister, Kit, except not quite as loud. I sometimes leave her 3 favorite stuffies lined up on the living room floor before I go to bed. I may wake up to find them still there or to find one or more of them displaced to somewhere else in the house, often on the hallway floor upstairs or in my bedroom.

April 22, 2010 at 2:17 pm
(14) kim says:

My 10 year old tortie also likes to put her toys in the water dishes. She has a white fuzzy mouse and an old feather on a stick toy that she carries about the house on a daily basis. When I wake up in the morning, one or both items are on the floor next to the bed and when I return home from work, the mouse is sitting right by the back door every single day.

April 22, 2010 at 2:35 pm
(15) Sandy Hoover says:

Hi Franny, Enjoyed your story about Jenny who actually does look like Puss I just wrote you about. I don’t have any photos, but around 18 years ago we had a stray when we first moved into our house that adopted us, and of course I claimed and named her, “Minnie”. She was a brown tabby but very unique as she had large black spots under her entire belly and she was a hunter. We used to leave our backdoor open for our dog to go in and out and she made herself at home doing the same (at the time it was our garage). Kevin and I left for a short errand, and when we returned I walked out into the garage and screamed because lying on the floor were what I thought large dead rats, all lined up next to each other in a row. Kevin ran in to see and just as he did so Minnie walked in proud as a peacock to show off her kill. They were not rats, but baby bunnies, four of them. I was so upset as we did not have a fence yet and she apparently lived in the huge field behind our house for who knows how long and this is how she survived. After that Minnie brought us other presents like rats, snakes and lizards, never eating any of them but brought them to us for dinner. We took care of her so she was taking care of us. Minnie lived for years with us, had one litter of kittens and then I had her spayed. She disappeared one day just as she had appeared years before. We tried to keep her indoors, but there was no way as she was a wild child and I guess always would be. I know our little Minnie is in heaven with the others we have lost through the years, but it was so nice remembering and writing about her.

April 22, 2010 at 3:17 pm
(16) Taerie says:

Cuddles was one of my first cats. From the time he was only a few months old, he would bring us big pom poms. He had gone into my craft supplies and picked out the biggest one he could find. Then he would drop it at our feet and make a noise which met we were to throw it. He would then make a mad dash down the hall or across the room, wherever it was thrown, to get it and bring it back to be thrown again. It was his game of fetch, a game he came up with on his own. At times, he would have the pom pom in his hand and dunk it up and down in the water bowl, then play with it some more. He also learned that a wet pom pom threw further than a dry one. At times, I would wake up and find it left it in the water bowl overnight. I lost Cuddles at age 16 from kidney failure due to complications from his diabetes. Since then, I have cats who will bring me anything they can get their mouths on–pipe cleaners, feathers, their fishing pole, socks, but no one has ever played fetch like Cuddles did.

April 22, 2010 at 4:39 pm
(17) kier says:

My cat,Angel also brings me his toys as gifts.I love it and feel so flattered.He is the most affectionate and sweet cat, that also comes to his name, that I’ve ever met.He will usually leave a gift in my bed next to me or on the floor at the bottom of the bed.Either one of his “highly revered” play mice or he loves the rings around the top of plastic milk containers that you pull around to open the milk(????)but yes his fav. Luckily I don’t get bugs and the like.Only if I could somehow turn him into a man,lol, I’d be a lucky woman!

April 22, 2010 at 4:56 pm
(18) Sandy says:

I have a little black girl who piles up small toys (milk rings, bread ties) in her dry food bowl. When she was very tiny she adopted a stuffed Catbert (Dilbert cartoon cat) that was about the same size as she was at the time. She began dragging him around by his tail and leaving him in various places. Now, almost 6 years later, she still carries him about. The funniest time was when I felt her pass over my lap while I was engrossed in a book. When I put the book down, there sat Catbert in my lap facing me staring me down. When she carries Catbert she always makes those muffled meows.

April 22, 2010 at 5:06 pm
(19) Fran says:

Oh yes I have a “hunter”. My male Himalayan, Jaspurr, will bring me his toy balls and mice and lay them at my feet or put them by the bed at night. One night I was particularly upset about something and had a good cry. I almost cried again when, the next morning, I found about six of his toy balls at the foot of the bed. I truly believe he was bringing me gifts to try and console me, because he hasn’t done that before or since.

April 22, 2010 at 5:47 pm
(20) CODEKEYGUY says:

Katy stsrted out life as a feral cat, and is still part outdoors. She does keep the mouse population down, and is constantly bringing “love tokens” onto the deck.

April 22, 2010 at 7:44 pm
(21) josie erent says:

My Cat Priscilla Presley Rupunziil…loves playing with wool knitted mouses….I had to throw out the old ones and spent $100 get her 12 new knitted mouses…She loves bring them as gifts….She is very talented and manages to bring the same mouse all the time…..What a character…Funny…goofy….very affectionate…I encourage everyone to have a wool mouse in the house…The cats love them…

April 22, 2010 at 8:35 pm
(22) MarsPolarLander says:

My girl, Zephyr, loves to play ‘hide n seek’ with me. She has 2 mousies made of rabbit fur -each about 4 inches long – that I hide in various places around the house. During the night, Zephyr hunts the mousies and leaves them by my bedside for me to find in the morning. She then gets a ‘victory lap’ consisting of my rubbing the mousie all over her, as she turns and twirls in pride. It is a wonderful game that we both enjoy.

April 22, 2010 at 9:52 pm
(23) Jane C. says:

My cat, B.J. (Blackjack) started bringing up the dirty socks from the basement. He’s never done this in the 3 years we have had him. One day he changed his ways and brought up my undies that I found in the hallway. About 3 days later I found a pair of used Jockey shorts (husbands)also upstairs. I wish I could have seen him struggle the steps as he was making that muffled cry as he tried to deliver his gift.

April 23, 2010 at 9:28 am
(24) Susie Mackie says:

My tortie, Seven, hunts toys every night when I’m downstairs working or watching tv. From the upstairs landing I’ll hear the most ungodly yowls which won’t stop until I go upstairs and see what she’s caught. Usually it’s a sock she’s managed to hunt down and subdue.
I think this is her way of getting me to join her up there, and it’s very effective! She also puts “presents” in my bed…these have ranged from a wide variety of stuffed toys, to unopened tampons (they make a nice crinkly sound) and once a live mouse. Now that will wake you up! Gotta love her.

April 23, 2010 at 7:51 pm
(25) Citycat says:

One of my boys, part Siamese/part gray tabby, brings “baby” (his raggedy catnip toy mouse we got when we adopted him 8 ears ago) down our hallway in the middle of the night, yowling all the way. I wake up with “baby” next to my head or bed. Quite funny !

April 23, 2010 at 8:26 pm
(26) black14 says:

Well, Penny brings me once a while a roofrat which she kills in the garage or in the yard. But I am not sure whether it is a gift, she expects a treat every time she brings one and also she parades the rat being totally proud. A well deserved pride, she is kitten size and the rats are huge.
Other than that, they do not bring me many gifts, i think they do not want to insult me with material things.

April 23, 2010 at 9:58 pm
(27) Heather says:

My eldest cat Charlotte is a bit of a binge eater — she wants treats all day long. She’s a little tubby, so we don’t feed her every time she starts begging. She has many little rituals she performs to let us know she’s hungry. My favorite is when she brings her best toys, one at a time, and drops them at my feet, then meows as if to say, “Here, I’ll trade you Mr. Birdy, Mr. Turtle, AND the Catnip bag for a treat!”

April 24, 2010 at 10:27 pm
(28) Peggy Proctor says:

I have 2 cats, one is not the least interested in toys. Buy my Dusty decided a few years ago that she could go in my granddaughters room and bring me all the little toys she has from “happy meals”. Dusty meows very loud when she has a treat in her mouth. Lately she has even drug some stuffed animals that I’d never suspect she could carry into my bedroom. She’s so proud when she brings them in, it puts a smile on my face every time.

April 25, 2010 at 1:20 am
(29) ric says:

Sophie apparently really likes plastic baggies, but a certain one seemed to be a prize for us. Inside the bag was a collectible bit of Local advertising: A ornate plastic dragon surrounding a thermometer advertising some drug store and a key chain. No matter where I put that extra large freezer baggie, Sophine seems to find it every time and brings the whole bag to my wife or myself. We all actually really do Laugh Out Loud when we see her padding across the kitchen tile, the baggie gripped tight in her white teeth.

April 29, 2010 at 8:59 am
(30) Debbie says:

Our Zelda (Abyssinian) loves these little twisted pipe-cleaner “wormies” or “bumblebees” that I got at a cat show. Every night before we go to sleep she makes her selection from various wormies (for some reason orange & white is the favorite!) and carries him into the Master Bathroom from the bedroom and likes to bring him to the back of the large bathtub (on the “ledge”) where she makes these adorable chirpy noises and purrs and plays with him. Sometimes she leaves him as her “calling card” for us and sometimes she brings him to us and drops him by the bed before coming in to sleep with us! Of course, we make sure to thank her for taking such good care of “her” baby!!

May 1, 2010 at 5:10 pm
(31) Jane says:

My husband does not want the cat in our bedroom at night.
Every morning when I come out of our room, I find her favorite spider toy in front of the love seat where I sit. If I have been reading during the afternoon or evening, I find the spider toy on top of the magazines in the morning. She knows what I have been doing and is very precise where she leaves the toy. I always am amazed how smart she is.

June 28, 2010 at 8:50 am
(32) Katie says:

My orange tabby cat Snickers brings me toys every single night after I go to bed. He goes down to the family room in the basement, carries his toys one by one up two flights of stairs, and drops them next to the bed, meowing loudly to make sure that I know he brought me a present. Of course, I praise him and tell him what a smart cat he is. Some mornings I wake up and there are four or five toys lined up on the floor next to the bed. I take all the toys back downstairs in the morning so he can do it all over again the next night.

April 21, 2011 at 2:41 pm
(33) Melanie says:

My cat Bandit does that same exact thing…he waits till your sleeping and meows very loud and there will be like beanie babies all over the floor in the morning.

September 26, 2010 at 7:46 pm
(34) Shannon says:

I love getting presents from my girls! My cats also love the rainbow snake (we call it Lowly Worm) that is pictured here! They have about 40 toys, but particularly like about ten of them. I can say, “Go get Granny Lowly Worm!” and they will bring it. Or, “Mousy” or “Leopard” or “Christmas Bear” (most of their toys are Beanie Babies or McDonald’s kid’s meal prizes or cereal toys. I get them at all times of the day, but especially at night. I find 5-10 presents on my bed every morning when I wake up!

September 29, 2010 at 2:49 am
(35) Yvonne Sherman says:

3 weeks ago, at 05;30hrs, I was working on my computor. Quite often while I am at my desk, working on my computor, my 2 cats will take turns walking across my key board, seeking my attention. This particular morning, my black cat named, Bullwinke, came waling across my computor keyboard and then rested on the other side of the desk. He was acting a little strangely, hunched over. Mu dog, German Sheperd, came up to bullwinle, in an inquisitve manner and then I heard MY CAT, Bullwinkle, making a Growling sound. I looked over and said, “Bullwinkle what do you have in your mouth??” And then he let it go, IT WAS A LIVE MOUSE!! I know cats are likely to bring you a dead mouse but NOT a LIVE mouse. The mouse got away and then my cat chased it and was walking through my house with it, in his mouth. This continued for 1 hr and then the mouse got away AGAIN.
I have lived in this old house for 5yrs and never saw a mouse until now. 3 days later, I saw my other cat, Rocky, hovering over the DEAD MOUSE!! I have not seen any more mice. I never expected to see any mice, since I had 2 cats. Has anyone ever heard of a cat bringing you A LIVE MOUSE?? I know it was a sign of affection but I can live without this kind of affection. Now I fear he will bring a LIVE mouse to my bed. I did buy this devices, that you plug into the wall, to keep mice away. I sure hope they work!!

Yvonne Sherman

December 10, 2010 at 1:20 pm
(36) SMB says:

I just stumbled upon this site through an inquiry I had about one of my cats, Milo, and his daily activity of bringing all of his toys up to from downstairs and putting them in a pile close to me- All while meowing (almost moaning.. LOL).

My other cat, Reggie, LOVES green, too- He will pick any green toys out of a pile of hundreds that are different colors and they are always his favorite. I happened to see the comment from Johpr1957 about his cat’s attraction to green as well. Very strange!

February 23, 2011 at 2:59 pm
(37) Bobby039 says:

I have a female Cat named Febie that sometimes would bring a stuffed animal to my bedroom door and meow until me or my wife opened the bedroom door and rub her, saying, “Good Cat, that is a nice present”. Something to that fact, but why do she do this? It only happens at night approx. 0200-0500hrs. The cat is fixed so that she cannot have kittens of her own, but what is she trying to tell us?

June 28, 2011 at 9:02 am
(38) Crittol kitty says:

My 10yo Tabby Crystal brings us an assortment of mainly socks most nights, sometimes the odd tea towel. And it turns out that my boyfriend doesn’t just drop his jocks in the middle of the loungeroom! ;)

July 1, 2012 at 12:19 pm
(39) michelle says:

hi i want to know why my cat brings rats home and puts them in my bag

July 10, 2012 at 11:54 am
(40) Franny Syufy says:

Cats bring us all kinds of gifts to show their love, much as mother cats in the wild bring their kittens gifts of food. If you read the linked article, you can learn more. :)

July 14, 2012 at 8:08 pm
(41) dcterrell says:

One of my cats, Pete, has started this recently. It started just with socks, then he added small hand towels, ace bandages, large towels, underwear, pants, shirts, etc anything that was small enough for him to drag down the stairs. He comes in bearing his gift to us wherever we are in the house, drops is, and meows until we acknowledge him. We say “good boy” and pet him then he runs off to get more. We were gone for a large portion of the day and came home to a large pile at the base of the stairs that hadn’t been there when we left. Last week, I went around the house collecting everything he brought us after just a couple days of his “gifting” and had a whole laundry load of just socks and hand towels. It’s really hard to be mad about it because it’s so cute and I know he’s doing it out of affection. It was driving my husband batty because Pete would usually only get his socks and he was constantly trying to find a pair, but as soon as I explained to him that he’s doing it because he loves us he said “That’s ok then, he can bring us whatever he wants.” (he’s such a pushover) My husband has a tendency of leaving his closet doors open, and his socks were on the bottom of a hanging organizer. Not long after Pete started this I tried to deter him by making sure the closet doors were always closed, but then one of my other furry children figured out how to open the doors. I then tried moving the socks up a pocket in the organizer, but then he just figured out a creative new way to get them down (I still haven’t figured out what that is yet) I gave up trying to stop him at that point. If my little fur-baby wants to say I love you with socks then it’s fine by me. I’m just glad that his gifting is limited to inanimate objects and that my other cats have not picked up this habit.

August 19, 2012 at 8:05 pm
(42) swampfamily says:

Well my cats have brought in live mice and half eaten mice from time to time and the odd bird, but Sammie in particular likes to bring in plastic clothespegs (no idea where he gets them from) and more recently the clothespeg supply may have dried up as it is not the sliding hoods from curtain tracks! – about 8 of them in the past few weeks. I’ve never realised that it may be an attention seeking thing so perhaps we need to spend more time with him???

October 25, 2012 at 9:08 am
(43) Marie says:

Boycat was a neighborhood cat until he was picked up by our local shelter. Feeling bad for him, I adopted him and brought him home. Due to wild animals moving in as people are moving out to find jobs, he is now a strictly indoor cat. He always loved to hunt, and in our house, that isn’t a problem for him. Mice seem to make their way in regularly. The problem is……….Boycat likes to share. This is the ump-teenth time now that I have woke up early to find him pawing my face, with mouse in mouth, and when he sees me move, he deposits a LIVE MOUSE by my pillow! I’ve always had a cat since I was little, but this is new – not sure if he is bringing what might be a “toy” to him, and saying “play with me”, or if it is “look what I did – aren’t you proud of me” or “look – I brought you fresh breakfast in bed”. Hubby thinks it’s the breakfast thing since I will leave treats in his favorite chair while he’s sleeping so he will find them when he wakes up. He’s super affectionate, quick to purr and headbutt you in the chin, wants to be part of everything you do (he’s helping me type), but live mice in bed? That’s a bit much…… Any ideas? Thanks. :)

December 9, 2012 at 7:55 pm
(44) Chuck says:

Our cat who,except for the gift bringing thinks She is a dog. The latest present was a mouse befor that a live owl and before that a possum. I was trying to get info on how to stop this behavior. The problem is the three animals two Chow Chows and Kittydog use a Large doggie door which is very easy on us.

March 8, 2013 at 11:49 am
(45) lexu says:

I never had it happen before but recently I got teo pet rats. But I still. Pay attention to my cats. The youngest has a favorite toy. A snall white fuzzy hat I had for my American girl doll when I was little. He loves it. But lately I wake up every morning to it by my pillow or even when I just step into my room I think he’s jealous or feeling a little neglected due to the new pets.

April 25, 2013 at 1:09 pm
(46) lana says:

my cat is a blue point traditional siamese just brought me late last nite a full size bat. im new at this cat thing….

June 1, 2013 at 9:32 am
(47) Darja Leonhardt says:

Logan, who use to be an inside cat, would gather up family socks and make a trail from the downstairs bedroom, up the stairs and throughout the house. He now goes outside too, and has turned his sights to poplar leaves. Throughout the day he now wanders the yard and collects poplar branches and leaves and deposits them on the front step…..

June 6, 2013 at 3:42 pm
(48) Randi says:

My cat keeps bringing me the mail and papers or credit cards from my purse at night and cries” She is 3 years old…this is new”

June 18, 2013 at 12:41 am
(49) Carrie says:

My Riley is a male tuxedo that we rescued as a kitten. He used to bring us a variety of dead animals and I understood what it meant so I disposed of them, and thought nothing of it. Recently however, he has started stealing from my neighbors. He has brought home dog toys, kid toys and small articles of clothing and shoes. I’m worried that he’s going to get himself hurt. Not only does he bring the items over their fences, he also drags them over our fence into our backyard. It’s almost like he’s bringing them to our dog because he would leave the dead animals on the front porch, never in the backyard.

August 21, 2013 at 4:20 am
(50) the pobjoy family says:

our cat Ron is a prolific hunter of both real prey – rats dead and alive a particular favourite – and a collection of the most bizarre objects I have ever known a cat to collect! Gifts include 6ft of rope, a selection of dog toys from neighbouring gardens such as tennis balls and a large plastic pig as well as gloves and slippers. His favourite at the moment is plastic rubbish bags left by the council – we have had up to 6 a day in the last week. He surpassed himself in the early hours this morning by depositing a large (dead thank goodness) rat in my daughter’s bedroom at 3 am and yowling until she woke up to appreciate her special gift. We love him dearly and always thank him for his innovative gift choices.

September 11, 2013 at 7:45 pm
(51) Robert Brown says:

My little black rescue cat was pretty shy when he was younger, and didnt stray far from the house. Now that he is a little older, he likes to hunt various creatures in the yard and has been quite proud to bring home birds and rodents. Usually the rodents are dead, but the birds are usually still alive, which causes quite a fuss when it starts flapping around the living room in the early morning…

October 17, 2013 at 1:14 pm
(52) lena says:

My cat, Stevie, brings me a dead leaf from a confederate rose plant almost everyday for a few months. I don’t have a confederate rose. He gets them from a vacant house a few doors down. He howls when he drops them. Doesn’t continue to play with them, just brings them