1. Home

Franny Syufy

Poll: Is Your Cat Crazy About Menthol Products?

By January 16, 2011

I was reminded of this post a few days ago when Jenny got wind of a new hand cream I was using, which contained a small amount of cooling menthol. She went so wild for it, I had to wash the hand cream off.

Some time ago, a popular pet columnist in my local paper advised a reader to put some menthol chest rub around the bathroom faucet to discourage her cat from drinking from it. He said that most cats hate the smell of menthol. This statement surprised me, because my cats all go nuts whenever I use menthol products, whether it is a mentholated chest rub or a menthol nasal inhaler. The scent is as powerful as catnip, and they will try to lick it off my neck or chest when I use it as a rub. That reaction only makes sense to me, because menthol comes from the mint family, as does catnip.

Because I've seen menthol listed elsewhere as a cat deterrent, I put the question to my forum members, which stimulated a lively discussion. I thought it was time to put the question to my readers. How about it? Do your cats go wild about the scent of menthol products, or do they run away like lemmings? Vote in the poll, then join the discussion, or post your comments here.

Comments

March 27, 2009 at 1:27 pm
(1) Kelly says:

My cat really doesn’t like menthol products. She runs away when I use them.

March 27, 2009 at 2:59 pm
(2) Liz says:

one of my cats squishes his eyes shut rapidly and runs if he even walks past a room where menthol has been opened. The other cat goes crazier for it than catnip. Then again, I have to bar her from the kitchen if I use clean up with bleach in it because she likes that too.

March 27, 2009 at 4:06 pm
(3) hmr says:

One of my cat’s favorite toys is a wrapped menthol cough drop. He does get one all the time, but when he does it is the only thing he wants to play with until the wrapper gets gummy and I throw it out. There is nothing funnier than watching him stroll down the hall with a wrapped cough drop dangling out of his mouth.

March 27, 2009 at 10:20 pm
(4) stenogirl says:

my cat has attacked a tube of toothpaste in my luggage when I unpack… she goes crazy over menthol/mint

March 28, 2009 at 3:18 am
(5) Crane says:

Today I used something with menthol in my bedroom floor. Madelein smelled it, and.. nothing. she seemed indifferent.

March 28, 2009 at 9:37 am
(6) DebbieB says:

The first time I ever saw this was a few years ago I had an aching back and put some Ben-Gay on. My cat went crazy and was all over me. I had to close the bedroom door! I thought it was the funniest thing so I read up on it and found out some cats really go nuts over this “medicated” smell.

March 28, 2009 at 10:58 pm
(7) E says:

I was going to answer the poll, but you didn’t have a choice for “both my cats HATE it”. (-:

April 3, 2009 at 8:06 pm
(8) Jill says:

My cat loves ben-gay and other menthol products. I learned this when I put some on my legs to stop her from attacking them, which we had a problem with when she was young. She immediately began licking my legs. Later when I was using it for back and shoulder pains she jumped on my and began licking my shirt very aggressively while wrapping her paws tightly around my neck to brace herself-or to hold me in place! She still likes it but has calmed down a little and does not respond quite as intensely. (She’s about 5 years old now.)

April 13, 2009 at 7:05 pm
(9) Linda says:

I have to be VERY careful when I put bengay or similar products on around my cats! They literally attack me! Last night I had it on my neck and back and on of the cats came up from behind me and started licking my neck and back of my head and then he bit into my head!!! It makes them NUTS. I also got a pair of scented socks once for X-mas and had those on and he bit my feeet! They are not biting or attacking cats…only with menthol smell!!!

May 1, 2009 at 4:14 pm
(10) sorcha says:

My cat goes crazy! She gets this wild look in her eyes and tries to eat it off my skin.

May 27, 2009 at 6:19 pm
(11) Taylor says:

My cat is the same way – she’s thoroughly obsessed with menthol! She used to jump on my stomach and try to lick my chest when i had vapo-rub on, and she always sniffs my mouth when i have cough drops…

June 12, 2009 at 7:07 pm
(12) polluxdc says:

I have three cats. The two boys want nothing to do with catnip or menthol products, but my girl cat BB is a mean drunk. When she gets a whiff of the stuff, she starts to drool, and starts to whack (with a good amount of force, mind you) the area with the offending odor. Since her only contact with menthol products is because either my wife or I are using a mentholated rub for sickness or sore muscles, BB is drooling on, and smacking, her loving owners. Talk about biting the hand that feeds you! But it is extremely entertaining as well. :)

June 24, 2009 at 1:19 am
(13) xmasbride says:

I have 2 cats,,,the female never bothers me with menthol, but the male cat goes bananas, gets very wide-eyed and attempts to lick me.
In the process, he is sniffing like a drug dog!

QUite interesting and it appears as though he can smell it from the downstairs when I am upstairs!

Powerful stuff!
Oh and they both are 8 years old.

August 15, 2009 at 3:04 pm
(14) Alan says:

My 8 y/o calico goes crazy every time I chew mint gum. If I pick her up while chewing, she goes in immediately to sniff and lick my mouth, and if you have never seen a cat smile, you would see it then. Sometimes I let her lick the used gum from my hand while avoiding having her ingest it. She loves it more than catnip! Today I have been using bengay and I can’t peel her off of me. She’s licking the sheets, my heatpad, and my back, and steadfastly follows my fingers wherever they go in hopes of getting that high since they still smell of bengay. Had to ban her from my room so that she won’t poison herself with it.

November 4, 2009 at 3:46 am
(15) halloweenBlakkat says:

Today i was on the computer and my cat was sitting on my lap and spent id say 10 or 15 minutes rubbing my pocket where my pack of gum was (shes declawed) rubbing her face on it.then she fell asleep with her face down on it

November 13, 2009 at 6:43 pm
(16) savannah says:

my cat loves it. i had vicks on my chest last night and i couldn’t keep him off me!

December 26, 2009 at 9:59 pm
(17) beverly says:

my one cat LOVES to lick my menthol rub or ben gay off of my neck or wherever I put it! My other cat sneaks into my daughters purse and eats her spearmint gum. Shes done that a couple of times already!

February 1, 2010 at 10:36 pm
(18) yolie says:

my cat Thomas went crazy over the lavender bengay i put on my hands. he was trying lick it off and hugged my arm and chewed on my fingers as if he was intoxicated! so funny!

February 3, 2010 at 2:51 pm
(19) jennifer says:

my went nuts today when I rubbed some Biofreeze on my neck and upper back! He was bitting me licking my neck and back and trying to eat me and my shirt that had some of it on it. He kept attacking my ponytail when it got in his way. I finally had to take a shower so I could sit and do homework without him trying to eat me!

February 23, 2010 at 1:42 pm
(20) Brea says:

My cat went absolutely bonkers the last time I put mentholatum on my chest. She jumped up on the bed and started licking and clawing at my shirt and licked my neck. I thought it was hilarious. Then she found one of my vicks kleenexes in my purse and went berserk trying to get it out. After reading this article and seeing that Bengay does the same thing, I kinda understand why my boyfriend’s cat went balistic on him one time. After rubbing bengay on his back and legs, she attacked him, somewhat brutally. Jumped on his back and bit his arms, back and head and clawed him up pretty bad. Now I know why!

June 15, 2010 at 5:47 am
(21) mallory says:

Last night i used a menthol cream on my husbands back to try it out to see if he liked it. My cats flipped out! They literally started running around and licking everything that they thought they smelled it on. they acted like crack feenes it was hilarious, i have never seen anything quite like it.

July 8, 2010 at 2:22 pm
(22) pam says:

my cat is always wanting to get into my bag of lemon menthol cough drops. i wont let her, but when i left earlier today for errand and came back, the drops and bag were strewn all over the bed and floor.. lol.. i call her my little pack rat.. she does things like this all the time, and takes off with them( the things) under the bed usually. but she seems obsessed with my cough drops and always has. but i know why now since its related to catnip!!!

July 16, 2010 at 1:37 am
(23) v says:

Yes, my cat goes NUTS!!!

I’ve been using ActivOn for chronic neck pain for years. It has 4.127% menthol. I’m pretty sure the ActivOn line is being discontinued (sad, as it worked better for headaches too than HeadOn!). For almost a decade she has tried to lick, nibble, etc anywhere I apply it. It it gets on my clothes, I have to hide them on the bottom of the clothes basket or she’ll lick, try to eat, drool all over them.

Anyway, I have to find a replacement product now. I looked and most stuff out now have at least double the menthol and the Walgreen’s generic muscle pain spray has 16% menthol!!! There is NO WAY I can use that. She would attack me. LOL

August 12, 2010 at 8:02 pm
(24) Teresa says:

My cat is obsessed with it. Snot (yes that’s her name) gets a runny nose and becomes blinded by her quest to lick and smell it. Its hilarious!

October 26, 2010 at 8:34 pm
(25) Tara says:

My old cat used to lick the product Head On off my head which included menthol. And now my new cat does it as well, and mint chapstick, toothpaste, mouthwash, chest rub, menthol inhaler, peppermints, cough drops and everything else containing mint or menthol. Weird.

November 13, 2010 at 3:14 pm
(26) Jamie says:

I have 3 cats. The two younger cats turn away from anything menthol or mint, but Lucky, the oldest one, absolutely LOVES them. I always have Orbit SweetMint gum hidden away in a zippered compartment of my purse and he tries so hard to get at it. I accidentally left my purse where he could get into it, and when I went into the bedroom, Lucky had the whole new pack out and was attempting to eat a piece. If I use Vicks, he chases me around the house to try to lick it off. I thought maybe he was just odd, but now I see that other cats like these as well.

December 4, 2010 at 10:39 pm
(27) Liat Suvorov says:

I googled “Cats and Menthol” and got to this post. I just used Icy-Hot patch on my shoulder and my cat went nuts. She was licking my jacket over where the patch was, and even stuck her claws in my neck out of excitement, and she is normally very calm, and never scratched anybody before. By the way, my cat is completely indifferent to cat-nip.

January 16, 2011 at 10:01 pm
(28) Franny Syufy says:

My Jenny has the same reaction when I use Vicks on my chest at night. Sometimes I have to lie on my stomach so she doesn’t try to lick it (or scratch my face accidentally.)

December 9, 2010 at 5:34 pm
(29) Jos says:

This morning I let my cat smell a menthol patch, and on the first whiff she hurriedly bounded away with a disturbed “meow” and face-planted into the door. I don’t think she’s fond of menthol.

December 20, 2010 at 1:41 am
(30) moose says:

My old cat became very cuddly. My new cat becomes extremely violent. The difference between a pothead and a crackhead.

January 16, 2011 at 5:42 pm
(31) dj says:

My cat goes nuts over it. I think she may even be more attracted to it than catnip.

January 17, 2011 at 7:06 pm
(32) Wanne says:

I recently used Icy Hot spray and during the night I woke up to my cat Peekaboo rubbing himself all over my neck and shoulders where the spray was. He was purring like crazy! He also LOVES the smell of mint gum. I gave him the empty Trident mint gum package and he rolls all over and licks it, etc. Thanks for this article because I thought my cat was crazy!

January 26, 2011 at 4:53 pm
(33) Pat says:

My cat went crazy the first time I used ACTIVON. He licked my upper shoulder and was biting at my shirt. I forgot that I had put that on earlier in the day. I didn’t know what was in it and was scared it would hurt him. I was laying on the bed today after putting it on my neck and he started to lick my face then going crazy and started to lick my neck and bite at my shirt again where it got on. I realized right away that it was the ACTIVON this time and got up away from him. He was meowing at me like crazy. Then he started to bite at the blanket where I was laying. It was to funny. Is this Menthol harmful for my cat.

January 26, 2011 at 6:19 pm
(34) Franny Syufy says:

According to the ASPCA Poison Control Center, this kind of product can be harmful to pets, if ingested or inhaled. You might want to wrap a towel around your neck when you apply it, then wash your neck well, along with the towel when you’re through. I’ve always thought it must be toxic for cats to ingest, but it makes sense that it is also dangerous for them to inhale, as are many essential oils.

March 30, 2011 at 11:13 pm
(35) Lia says:

One night (last night, actually) as I was going to bed, my three-year-old tomcat was going crazy and really wrestling with me as if he was on catnip. Except, like, SUPER catnip. I noticed the very fresh and minty scent on his breath. Today I let him sniff some toothpaste, but no go, it smelled too strong for him. But reading this, I think he went crazy over mints. Sadly for me I ate the last one today…

April 17, 2011 at 6:31 pm
(36) kittylover88 says:

i have 4 cats, 2 females and 2 males. the 2 females and youngest male dont bother with menthol at all but when my eldest male catches a whiff of my menthol filter tips he goes crazy. many a time i have left the room and come back a few mins later and torn the box to shreds. never known anything like it

April 17, 2011 at 6:35 pm
(37) kitty lover 88 says:

*he has torn the box to shreds not me lol*

April 17, 2011 at 6:42 pm
(38) myzippstertuxielovesmenthol says:

My cat Zippie also loves menthol filter tips… the ones in the shrink wrapping… I too have many a time come downstairs in the morning and the filters are all over the place and the cat is rolling around like a mad man. Eeh them naughty pussies… I too have 2 female adults and a compact orange tabby kitten and they do not bother at all. I have a question for you kitty lover… Is your cat a tux too?

April 17, 2011 at 6:44 pm
(39) kittylover88 says:

yes i have an orange tabby male kitten a calico female a piebald female and a tuxedo male. seems we have really similar pets ;)

May 5, 2011 at 5:54 am
(40) Bosmer2000 says:

My cat loves cough drops. She will rummage through my wastebasket to find them. When I just give her the wrapping, she rubs her face all over it. Similar reaction to catnip

May 16, 2011 at 1:16 am
(41) Aileen says:

My cat HATES menthol products (she actually retches) but loves mint. She goes into my bag or cabinets and captures mint gum.

September 27, 2011 at 2:50 pm
(42) bazzy says:

Well.. my cat loves mentol.. i never knew untill one day i caught her licking my toothbrush.. nice….
Nowadays i keep my brush locked in the cupboard, but i cannot leave a piece of gum laying around.. also after i brush my teeth she practically sticks her head inside my mouth. i give her a piece of pepperment every once in a while.. i need mentol catnips!!!

October 12, 2011 at 1:20 pm
(43) cg says:

I have 3 cats, 1 male and 2 females ( all fixed). Only 1 of my furry friends reacts at all to menthol, she is absolutely wild about it. The other 2 could care less.

October 27, 2011 at 12:30 am
(44) San says:

One night my tomcat went crazy (happy), running all over the house and playing very rough with everything and everyone. There was toothpaste on his chin. Since then though the smell of toothpaste is too strong for him–he closes his eyes and backs away, like when he sniffs fruits.

October 31, 2011 at 8:46 pm
(45) Marcyshamb says:

I just googled to find this site because I hurt my arm cleaning up tree/brush debres from the october Nor’Easter. So, I soaked my arm in hot water, then rubbed Ben Gay on it and my hand, and then put a long sock on my hand to keep it warm and from messing up anything I touch. My cat went wild as if it was catnip. She grabbed my arm, wouldn’t leave my arm no matter where I sat or lay, and rolled her head and body all over my arm, nipping and ‘love biting’ the arm. It was amazing, as if she was ‘drunk’ on the Ben Gay he same way she gets ‘drunk’ on cat nip. I just had to know why…and also wonder if its safe for her. Another words, can she get sick sniffing or biting at an arm that has Ben Gay on it?

November 3, 2011 at 7:42 am
(46) Debbie says:

My cat Tinker loves menthol. Vicks vopar rub, mentholatum anything with menthol smell. I am glad to read this is not unusual.

November 11, 2011 at 8:17 pm
(47) Jo Marie says:

I have three cats. Two of them do not really show any interest or dislike with menthol. However, One of them goes absolutely crazy for it, especially gum in my purse. I can not tell you how many times now I wake up to get ready for work in the morning and if I leave my purse anywhere accessible to this cat when gum is in it he rips up the wrappers and I have even found it chewed up and left by the front door. It is very cute that he has this insane obsession over it. I just try to be careful because I don’t want him eating it. I think it makes sense what you say about the menthol cat nip comparison. Good to know my cat is not the only one with the menthol obsession! =)

December 13, 2011 at 12:14 am
(48) jaimee says:

My cat goes INSANE whenever I use menthol products. If I use an Icyhot patch earlier one night I have to lock her out of my bedroom just so I can get some sleep.
Surprisingly she is indifferent towards catnip.

December 28, 2011 at 11:44 pm
(49) Eric says:

My cat also goes insane over methol….and ribbons too!

February 5, 2012 at 11:19 am
(50) Nadi says:

The question is “Is Menthol poisonous for Cats..?” Because one of my cats goes wild too when I use Deep Relief on my elbow.

February 17, 2012 at 6:30 pm
(51) Steve says:

Our cat loves pure menthol (I have pure menthol crystals) I take a small crystal and rub it onto a moistened finger and she will take small licks off of my finger. It is very strong so I would never let her have a solid crystal. She is weird though, I gently breathed in her face after I had used mouthwash and she promptly slapped me upside my head, now just opening the mouthwash bottle in the same room and she starts squinting here eyes and preparing to run.

My friends cat would attack a package of menthol cigarettes whenever a certain menthol smoking friend came over to visit.

February 22, 2012 at 8:50 pm
(52) cats2012 says:

I have two cats and my black cat goes nuts over menthol (kind I use for back pain) and tried to lick it off, rubs all over me and wriggles around in it. It’s very much like a reaction to catnip and makes her a bit of a pest if I’m using it. But only one of my cats reacts this way; must be a genetic thing.

April 29, 2012 at 6:40 pm
(53) Heaven says:

My cat goes crazy over it. Everytime I put the icy hot gel on my aches he comes out of nowhere and trust to lick it off. I have to hid it somehow….put throws over me etc…so he can’t lick it off but sometimes hd manages to get a few swipes in before I can blink my eyes. Got to find some other ways yo outsmart he.

May 1, 2012 at 11:02 pm
(54) Mary Ratcliff says:

I just searched on google WHY DOES MY CAT LIKE BEN GAY and
got to this site. I did this after she was writhing around and licking
my knee after I put some ben gay on it. She seemed so thrilled
about the ben gay it was like she was in ECSTASY. I said hey cat
what’s up with you? Why you like my knee so much and you have
that look in your eye like some kind of druggie cat? Well I guess the
mystery is now solved – it’s because the menthol in it is something
in the catnip family of plants. It’s God’s gift to cats.

June 5, 2012 at 5:08 am
(55) Hinata'smommy says:

When ever I have Rain 5 gum or other strong menthol gum she goes crazy! She licks the wrapper and if I leave the box open for her to smell and rub against she tries to steal a piece! I always take it away before she can though, but I have another pack of gum that isn’t menthol at all and she still rubs against it and likes to lick the old wrapper, she’s so weird! She likes to sit and lay in boxes and to be in my room in the summer (it’s very hot in the summer where I live) so I always have to take her out before I leave she acts like such a dog sometimes haha, but she’ll never go after toothpaste or anything else, just the gum I have..

June 9, 2012 at 3:55 pm
(56) doc says:

Just used Icy Hot and one cat went crazy…another had the same reaction as to catnip….one was indifferent….and one backed away quickly….all my cats react to catnip.

June 23, 2012 at 8:08 pm
(57) AJ says:

My cat loves mentholated stuff. I discovered this 2 weeks ago when I rubbed “power rub” on my lower back. I laid down the bed. And when I sat, my cat jumped on top of the bed and started digging in my back. Some of the mentholated stuff went on the bed and he started licking it, and rolling over the bed. He went nuts. It’s cute though.

July 22, 2012 at 12:11 pm
(58) pb says:

My kitten, a 5 month old female that I have raised from age 0, reacts as if offended everytime I use a menthol ointment, she leaves the room, she avoids me.

August 13, 2012 at 1:53 am
(59) Eli says:

My oldest cat Katy goes nuts when I use mentholated rubs. She starts rubbing on me and licking me then starts trying to bite off my skin and clothes! She’s also the only cat I’ve had that reacts to catnip. I’ve had many cats but oddly most don’t care for catnip. Anyway, most of my cats don’t react to menthol but I have another cat Shelly that does and is completely the opposite of Katy. He hates anything with a strong medicinal smell. He starts running away from me and looking at me like if he was scared of me.

August 26, 2012 at 9:08 am
(60) MLJ says:

I just opened a pack of REACT 3 gum and my cat went absolutely nuts…a greater reaction than what I see from her with cat nip. Not sure there is menthol in it, but it certainly tastes like mint.

August 30, 2012 at 11:16 pm
(61) Elisha says:

My cat mittens goes crazy for flexall which is like deep heat. I can’t get her away from me. She licks my clothing, my skin and anywhere I’ve been sitting. She also rolls around in it. I’m glad mittens isn’t the only cat who does this as I was beginning to think something was wrong with her lol :/

September 28, 2012 at 9:44 pm
(62) Lydia says:

My cat goes crazy over menthol almost to the point of getting violent over it.. When i try to get it away from her she tries to stop me. I’ve found out not using menthol is the safest bet.( She’s a big girl)

October 17, 2012 at 12:49 am
(63) Lesley says:

I’m so glad I found this poll; after I rubbed Flexall on my sore back last night, my 7-year-old tortie tried to claw her way through my cushion to get to it and kept biting my hip to make me move. It’s the first time I’ve used it since I adopted her–my old boy hated the smell and ran a mile. TG she’s “normal” LOL

October 22, 2012 at 2:41 am
(64) Ann says:

My cat loves menthol items, but be careful with any cat that does… Most of the chemicals that give that sweet minty smell to products like toothpaste or gum are extremely harmful to cats.

November 2, 2012 at 8:27 am
(65) Selina says:

My boyfriends mum has three cats, and last night i put vicks vapor rub on my chest, under my nose n on my back, the scent of the vapor rub made only one of the cats go crazy but didnt seem to affect the other two, the cat that went crazy started attackin my fingers with his paws because he cud smell it n also jumped on my knee n started scratchin n nippin at my neck n chest, altho after awhile this was startin to hurt,my boyfriend n i cudn’t do anything but laugh at the cat because of his strange behaviour.

January 2, 2013 at 1:05 pm
(66) susan says:

My daughter put icey hot on her neck and shoulders. She said our cat went CRAZY and kept licking her and trying to get down her shirt. She didn’t know what was wrong. Yesterday morning the cat climbed on the pillow that still smelled like the icey hot – kneeded the pillow and then p’d on it. Removed the pillow – found the smell on the sheets and then p’d there, too. No more icey hot!

January 17, 2013 at 3:48 pm
(67) Activon user says:

I noticed our cat is unstopable from getting into my jacket that had traces of activon in it. There is no doubt that it must be something that they crave! My jacket gets licked every time I use it. Then the cat will go hide and sleep it off!

February 2, 2013 at 4:01 pm
(68) Sher says:

My female cat is crazy about it. When we first got her, my mother had put some on her ankle and ended up getting a nasty scratch when the cat pounced on the scent. She also loves the scent of tea tree oil, which I know is toxic to cats, and both of my cats love valerian. If I put just a light dusting of it on the floor, they will roll around and look very silly.
They pay no attention at all to catnip!

March 18, 2013 at 12:10 am
(69) ashley says:

I have 4 cats and only one reacts to the icyhot. Which I think is odd since all love cat nip

March 22, 2013 at 9:48 am
(70) hans says:

My cat love it too much.when ever i use mentol products or anythin scent mint he will come sniff n lick it until it drooling.

April 3, 2013 at 4:34 pm
(71) Diane says:

Recently my sasha has been always lurking around me when I use this menthol product for my knee she smells my knees and has licked it too Crazy HUH? I she also take my pants and chews the area where the menthol was Is there any solution?

May 28, 2013 at 1:22 am
(72) Diana says:

Omg is true. I never have used Bengal and today I put some on my leg and my black cat Tico just went nuts. Scratching the covers to get underneath just out of control! I’m never using that again!

July 2, 2013 at 6:08 am
(73) lisa roper says:

Our male cat goes mad for deep freeze cold gel,but our female cat isn’t bothered by it.

October 7, 2013 at 4:06 am
(74) James says:

We have two female cats, a torbie named Princess Fuzz Butt and a tuxedo names Princess Peach. (We have 5 nieces. All things female are princesses and naming things are “erratic” to say the least)

Fuzz Butt is rather indifferent to cough drop wrappers insofar as the menthol is concerned, but like every other cat I’ve ever know, will gleefully try to massacre any small, flitting piece of paper.

Peach is a different story. Peach loves exactly 3 things in life. One, ambushing me at any time of day or night. Two, belly rubs when I’m trying to sleep. Three, cough drop wrappers. She’s not so hot on the cough drops themselves, she’ll take them or leave them, but will gladly rearrange your ears if you try to take a wrapper from her. I get seasonal allergies and cough drops are usually sufficient to get me through the three weeks of allergy season but Peach will attach any wrapper or cough drop she scents. Including any in my pockets!

October 17, 2013 at 5:58 pm
(75) anyhoo says:

My cats hate anything with menthol in it, they squint their eyes & run away. I have a kitten rescue that is in love with weird smells. He tries to lick deodorant off my armpit when we cuddle. Then I recently injured my knee and literally have to throw him off the bed to get him to stop trying to lick Icy Hot off my skin. Once I even dropped a little bit on the floor and he started to lick it. I had to shove him away and clean it up fast. Until now I have never heard of a cat doing this and I have always had pets and rescued many all my life. Lol

November 22, 2013 at 9:26 pm
(76) Jordan says:

I found this poll searching for a reason my cat loves the smell of A&D cream. He will smell it on my hand and want to rub on them. What little weirdos they can be lol.

January 3, 2014 at 11:15 pm
(77) Ruth Cassin says:

I put some footpowder with menthol as one of the ingredients in my socks. My female cat, normally very gentle and affectionate, went crazy! She attacked my feet, biting and scratching them, and rolled around as if intoxicated by catnip. This happened twice. She hurt me. I donít use it around her any more. I thought the footpowder should bear a WARNING: CAUTION this powder may turn you gentle tabby into an attack monster! My tomcat paid no attention to it. I thought I might be able to get them to used the scratching post more reliably by sprinkling some of the footpowder on it. That doesnít seems to have worked.

February 27, 2014 at 8:00 pm
(78) chris says:

I drink peppermint tea every night and my cat absolutely loves the smell he will follow me around if I have it and lay on my lap and even rub against my mug when im drinking it

April 5, 2014 at 9:29 pm
(79) sadkitty says:

I am going to say that my cat hates it. I had Vapor rub on my chest and used a washcloth to wipe some off, and left it on my bed. Well, my cat peed on the washcloth while I was in the bed just now. :(