1. Home

Franny Syufy

When Kittens Get Sick

By January 23, 2011

I am reposting this article which was first posted in 2004, and reposted in 2007, because so many people are still posting comments seven years later, asking me and my readers for medical help, something none of us can provide. The bottom line is to read the linked articles to learn more about the things YOU can do, but take your kitten to the veterinarian for diagnosis and treatment.

Original Post: There is absolutely no fear that compares with the one that strikes a parent when a baby gets sick, and that applies almost equally to "cat parents." Kittens, by their very size, seem so fragile, and it is such a helpless feeling to watch them sneezing and coughing with a cold.

>Because kittens are so fragile, when they are sick, they really need to be seen by a veterinarian. Even colds can be serious for young kittens, and colds can easily develop into bronchitis or even pneumonia. Other serious infectious diseases can mimic colds, and only your veterinarian can properly diagnose and treat them. Please read this article for more information before posting your comments.

More Suggested Reading for Parents of Kittens With Colds:

Comments

December 13, 2006 at 5:06 am
(1) shama says:

my kitten is realy ill i dont no what is up with it. last night it was being sick and its got weaker n weaker n its back legs are wobbly. i told my dad we might have to take it to the vets but he said it will be ok and its our first kitten. we have had it for 3 days …

August 26, 2011 at 10:03 am
(2) Chanelle says:

Wee Have Just Got A Kitten And My Kitten Has Done The Same Thingg What Was Wrong With Yours ,I Wont Take My Eye Off Minee ! Pleasee Helpp ! x

October 16, 2011 at 4:58 pm
(3) dougy says:

my cat is the same way but this happened over night. i went to my cousins for the night and left her with my mom and she is ill big time and the vets are closed and im scared she wont last till morning. my mom knew that she was going to need to go to the vet when she was healthy and now she is really sick and did your cats make it?

December 13, 2006 at 8:17 am
(4) cats says:

Your dad is wrong, Shama. Kittens are very fragile and yours needs immediate veterinary attention. I hope you can convince him of that.

January 7, 2007 at 6:35 pm
(5) Ashleigh says:

My sisters 2 kittens started acting really wierd a few days ago. They won’t shutup with the whole meowing thing, and they don’t ever sit down.

Is this kitten “in heat”? They aren’t fixed so that might be it, but yesterdy one started foaming at the mouth.

What to do?

January 8, 2007 at 9:36 pm
(6) Stormy says:

My cat had four kittens a month ago and they were growing very healthy. Now one of the kittens won’t nurse from her mother and is getting weaker. We have tried to feed her some softened kitten food and baby food, but she won’t take that. She will drink water however.

I called the vet and asked them what I could do and they said that they need to see her but will not look at her unless they get their money. I don’t get paid until the 15th and they said that I can make an appointment then. I don’t know if we have that long.

Is there anything I can do to make sure that she makes it to the 15th. I’m already a bit upset that they will not help when I have always taken my animals to them and have always made sure that they were paid in full.

Please help.

June 16, 2011 at 12:38 am
(7) jason says:

Honestly a vet who is more about getting their money then worrying about an animal is straight up wrong. Vets, IMO, are under the same oath to save a life no matter what. a vet should be able to arrange a payment plan. but IMO i would find a new vet. i know it can be hard but i would rather have a vet who cares more about my pet then i do and more then the money at first.

January 28, 2007 at 11:50 am
(8) kristie says:

Stormy, if your kitten will take water, but not softened food, then try going to a pet store and picking up some milk replacement for kittens. Normally the kittens love it and it isn’t thick like baby food or softened cat food, plus it has plenty of vitamins that the kitten needs. I’ve had to do this with some of my kittens and it’s been successful in most cases.

February 9, 2007 at 1:40 am
(9) terri says:

what does it mean if your kittten gets sick on the floor once in awhile ,and its not hair balls, am i over feeding ? or is it the food ? is he not happy what is it ?

February 18, 2007 at 1:04 pm
(10) beverly says:

today i was putting a warm towel over my kittens eyes and then large amounts of puss were coming out im really scared for them. there mom is also losing large amounts of furr.the kittens have been sneezing. i will be taking them to the vet tommorrow but does any one have any suggestions? there only two weeks old and im afraid there eyes did not develope.

March 1, 2007 at 6:15 pm
(11) grace says:

my cat had babies around2 weeks ago. they breath wierd and sneeze. 3 of the 5 kittens have one of their eyes that won’t open. the mother had a cold and is about over it. i’m worried about them what should i do.

March 2, 2007 at 1:18 pm
(12) cats says:

Grace, a 3-month old blog entry is no place to seek medical advice for endangered kittens. Just in case you find this page again, take the kittens to a veterinarian immediately! They are too young to take chances with. I hope you will also make arrangements to get the mother cat checked out and spayed.

March 7, 2007 at 9:31 pm
(13) Marie says:

My cat has the same problem terri, and she just turned a year old.
Can someone help us figure this out?

April 20, 2007 at 1:26 am
(14) Dawn says:

ok my mommy cat had 4 kittens, they all were doing good until about 2 weeks or so when they could start going to the bathroom, they one kitten has white poop, and was not eating and throwing up, the vet sat it was eating litter, ok took the litter away for another week til they could older, now the kitten won’t eat the kitten food and really don’t see it drinking water, still throws up, looking like sour milk, feel so bad but going throw a really hard time and can’t take back to vet, but am getting rid of them but want to know what it maybe before giving it away, plus now she is pulling at our hearts, oh yea and they all have bee wormed, thanks animals always find me knowing I can’t turn them down please help thanks

May 16, 2007 at 12:33 am
(15) Nancy says:

My cat had kittens about 3 weeks ago. She disappeared about a week ago…still looking for her, but I am afraid she will not be found. After she had been gone about 24 hours, I began feeding her kittens (5) with KMR formula. I do not have a scale, but they have grown visibly and are putting on weight. They have finally mastered bottle feeding, but I can’t seem to get them to poop. I have tried stimulating them, but nothing happens. They are urinating in their nest and I change the bedding daily. At first, they were frantic and cried a lot. Now, they seem calmer and sleep more. I am hoping it is because they are more content. I feed them four times a day. Because they outnumber me 5 to 1, I have not been able to keep dtailed measurements of how much thye eat. They typically eat about 8oz of formula between them at each feeding. They seem happy. They purr after each feeding and nurse each other as they fall asleep. I have started letting them walk around a little and plan to move them to a small room in the next day or so. I am just worried because I have not been able to get them to poop. Could they be pooping and me not know it? Sometimes the urine in their bed seems to be dark yellow/brownish. They seem to be doing so well…I would hate to lose them.

Sorry for the rambling, any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Nancy

May 16, 2007 at 12:34 am
(16) Nancy says:

My cat had kittens about 3 weeks ago. She disappeared about a week ago…still looking for her, but I am afraid she will not be found. After she had been gone about 24 hours, I began feeding her kittens (5) with KMR formula. I do not have a scale, but they have grown visibly and are putting on weight. They have finally mastered bottle feeding, but I can’t seem to get them to poop. I have tried stimulating them, but nothing happens. They are urinating in their nest and I change the bedding daily. At first, they were frantic and cried a lot. Now, they seem calmer and sleep more. I am hoping it is because they are more content. I feed them four times a day. Because they outnumber me 5 to 1, I have not been able to keep detailed measurements of how much thye eat. They typically eat about 8oz of formula between them at each feeding. They seem happy. They purr after each feeding and nurse each other as they fall asleep. I have started letting them walk around a little and plan to move them to a small room in the next day or so. I am just worried because I have not been able to get them to poop. Could they be pooping and me not know it? Sometimes the urine in their bed seems to be dark yellow/brownish. They seem to be doing so well…I would hate to lose them.

Sorry for the rambling, any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Nancy

May 16, 2011 at 11:53 pm
(17) debbie says:

take a warm damp wash rag and wipe the kittens back and forth easy with it in the area their privates are , that will help them to poop and pee ….. you do not have to dry it off

July 15, 2007 at 6:42 pm
(18) Resa says:

My friend just rescued this kitten from being outside. She’s been bottle feeding it and giving it water. The kitten was fine a couple of days ago, but now he won’t eat and won’t drink water. He still is using the bathroom but now is breathing with his mouth open. she won’t make it to a vet till tommorrow, any suggestions on what she can do to keep him alive and going till tomm!!! Please answer ASAP greatly appreciated any advice is welcome. thanks,
RESA

July 21, 2007 at 5:36 pm
(19) chris says:

my mom rescued a kitten from a window well that was covered with fleas, sadly it died. But, we took in its twin that wasnt getting much love from its mom outside. This kitten seems healthy and eats and plays ALOT! but it wont POOP!!!! i just put litter in a little pan to start to train him, after he eats he does that reflex with his paw like hes mushing litter. HELP, i need him to poop

July 28, 2007 at 1:39 am
(20) joann says:

mt kitten who is about 4 weks old has suddenly stopped eating and just lays around like its going to die. her stomache looks bloated also. I have been trying to give her pedalyte and kayro syrup but its hard to get her to take it and I can’t get her into a vet till tomarrow because its late and they are closed. Im affraid she won;t make it thru the night. what can I do?

November 7, 2011 at 5:42 am
(21) laura says:

have you tried worming your kitten. if it is bloated and not eating its probably worms

July 30, 2007 at 4:58 am
(22) Rachell says:

I’m a kitten parent. I’ve had several die and fewer live. I think one of my more recent kittens either injested styrofoam or is just ‘fading’. Also when I try to feed him, his mouth starts to crunch and he moves his jaw awkwardly. What is that? He also just sits pathetically in front of the water bowl and most die shortly after. Please.. someone reply soon.

August 12, 2007 at 1:42 pm
(23) Natalia says:

hi, i need some help right away. we got a kitten yesterday, but he won’t eat, or poop. when he pees his urine seems a bit white(it might b just my imagination). what should i try before bringing him to the vet.i don’t know if i should take him to the vet at all. PLEASE help!!!

August 12, 2007 at 2:31 pm
(24) Franny Syufy says:

Natalia,

Your odds of getting a reply to a comment on a three-year old post are extremely low.

Take your cat to the vet. NO ONE can diagnose a medical problem on the Internet, and it sounds like your kitten really needs medical help.

Thanks!

August 14, 2007 at 2:16 am
(25) Lexy says:

hi everyone.

i am fostering a mother cat and her 9 kittens, which are between 2-3 weeks of age. they have been doing great the first week theyve been here. i have been feeding them every 6-8 hours, as they are still nursing from the mother. as of this morning, all of the babies have been throwing up what looks like sour milk, and 2 of them have had diahreah. im afraid they will get dehydrated, as i am taking them to the vet in the morning. is there anything i can do to help these little guys out? i hate to see them sick, and i really dont want to lose these guys overnight. is it possible i am overfeeding them? any advice would be great.

August 19, 2007 at 10:07 pm
(26) Jennifer Mitchell says:

My kitten has been trowing up and runny stool. what do i do about it

September 18, 2007 at 10:56 am
(27) Evan says:

We found some kittens that were born under our deck and brought them inside. First we noticed one of them could not walk and was doing an army crawl type of thing. We gave a little milk and now it can walk but is unsteady. It now refuses to eat, and its eyes look unhealthy. What’s going on?

September 23, 2007 at 11:30 pm
(28) felix tombstone says:

I just found two kittens under a small building. the next day I went and caught one of the kittens (a female)It was about five weeks old. a day later my friends very little sister who is six years old. as soon as they got there my friends little sister wanted to go get the other kitten. I insisted we didint but they wouldent shut up so we went and I caught the other one, it was a female to. every time the new little kitten tride to go and hide in a corner my friends little sister would grab it by it’s tail and pull it back! I would say “dont do that! How would you feal if someone grabed you by the leg!” But every time I said that, she would say “dady felix is being mean!” Then my dad heard that and then I would get in trouble! anyway I took the first kitten I caught to my mom’s house. it’s rilly playful and it’s been doing good for three weeks but about 12 hours ago she started getting rilly lazzy and got a warm nose. and when she meaoues it’s like “mea-ea-ea-eaou” what is wrong??? please help.

September 25, 2007 at 9:22 am
(29) Margie says:

Our family cat Tigger just had 4 kittens. Kit Kat is the runt of the litter and the other cats wont let her eat until there done, even though Tigger has 6 nipples, and shes not getting enough food. We tried taking the other kittens out while Kit Kat ate, but she wouldnt eat till her sisters did. She is alot smaller then the others and not very strong. She barely crawls and dosnt make noise when she tries to meow. What can we do for her?

February 4, 2011 at 4:24 am
(30) sue says:

i have the same problem you can feed it your self go to the pet shop pet world if you have one , they sell kitten food for kittens who are weak and need you to feed them ,,, best thing to do and they will advice you as well they are god pet shops especially pet world

September 27, 2007 at 12:37 am
(31) k_swizzler says:

Hello, what could be the cause of my kitten having blood when he throws up?

I gave him to a friend to get his last shots two days ago. Today she says he was ill at the time and was peuking blood. Apparently he is now on an iv for two days. I believe it’s his kidneys, will he be ok??

3-4months named ziggy

October 13, 2007 at 11:32 pm
(32) linda says:

Can flea shampoo harm a kitten just by putting it on them? We gave are 4 month old kitten a flea bath this morning and tonight hes walking with his back legs stiff and grinding his teeth when he eats and hes sleepy. Could this be the flea shampoo?

October 15, 2007 at 7:09 pm
(33) Nicole Rebollar says:

My cat just had kittens and out of three,one of them died,and there is one that im worried about because it lost its leg from the knee down and I dont know what to do,its only 4 days old. Its acting fine,drinking milk,and sleeping,but I still dont know. Will it die,what can I do?

October 21, 2007 at 10:17 am
(34) melanie says:

Damn – why did i only see 2 responses from cats?

October 27, 2007 at 6:38 pm
(35) carol says:

I have kittens.At 4wks they startd vomiting and had diarrhea.I took them into er vet.They gave me a wormer for them. Afew days later they seemed to have gotten worse. So I took them back to the vet.We did almost every test that we could think of,they could not come up with nothing.They gave me some meds just incase it was in their intestines,then gace me Amoxil.They are still vomiting (not as bad).One died last night Oct.26 9:14pm.Her name was Buttercup. We miss her. Can you please send me some information and some help about this.Thank you in advance.If you nee more info let me know, I have kept a journal on all of this.

October 29, 2007 at 1:37 pm
(36) Jen says:

Just a reminder – as Franny’s blog post says, we on the cats forum can’t replace a vet. If you have questions, please come into the cats.about.com forum and ask, rather than adding new comments to a really old blog posting. The link to the forums is on the left in red.

October 30, 2007 at 11:16 am
(37) Franny Syufy says:

melanie said: “Damn – why did i only see 2 responses from cats?

Do you respond only to the person asking the question, or do you not read the urgent pleas for help?”

Melanie, and everyone else who has posted “urgent pleas for help:”

This original blog was posted in November of 2004, and most of those urgent pleas were posted YEARS afterward, and unlikely to ever be seen by me or anyone else. Sick kittens need to be seen by a veterinarian, NOT continue to get sicker while their owners post pleas on the Internet.

In any event, my reply would be exactly that: Take your kitten to a veterinarian!

October 30, 2007 at 6:02 pm
(38) Terri says:

You’re right, Franny. When a kitten is obviously ill – RUN – don’t walk – to the nearest vet. Minutes count so don’t waste time on the Internet unless it is to find the nearest Animal Clinic. Even at nighttime – most cities have “emergency clinics” that stay open all night.

October 31, 2007 at 8:11 am
(39) Lisa says:

Hi, I understand and agree with the need for immediate veterinary care for sick kittens. I have an unusual situation, though, and am looking for information from anyone who may have experienced something similar. I have had cats my entire life and have never seen anything like this. I adopted a kitten from the SPCA in August, they said she was 12 weeks old but was a runt. She was very small to be that age. At any rate, she eats regularly, although not voraciously, and has not grown a lot in these past few months. We have been to the vet several times, at first they felt her age was wrong, then they thought a URI was causing her not to grow, and then they thought we would just wait it out. As she is getting older it is apparent that her rear quarters are not formed correctly, she walks with a waddle and her lower back is hunched, her rear is small. She is affectionate but only mildly responsive to stimuli and playing, often missing the object she is half heartedly swatting at. You can hold her in any position and she will stay, she has trouble jumping of of things and landing safely, she won’t even try stairs. I have been telling the vet something is wrong for months, now it is very obvious, I just have never seen or heard of anything like this. Has anyone got any ideas?

July 19, 2009 at 2:21 am
(40) worried kitten owner says:

my cat just had kittens a couple weeks ago 2 have died alredy and another one died its symotoms were not being able to walk,kept screaming in patterns and thrashed out its legs and could barely move had to scoot across the cage. Now today one of the gray kittens was fine and tonight its acting all funny now it cant walk straight it falls over on its side all the time could it be because of a cold? cause they do have the cold but i have been treatin them.i just would like to know wat is causing it and if i should keep the mom away from them cause she has a cold!!

September 21, 2009 at 3:01 pm
(41) Kelsey says:

I havent had my 2 kittens Dixie & Sissy long (about 2 weeks) & just the other day Sissy’s eye started to look strange. We thought she just got something in it & thought it would go away, but it hasnt. It now looks like pus/muscus behind the tissue/cornea of her eye. Im very concerned! We currently arent financialy able to take her to the local vet :( can anyone help me??
~Concerned

September 23, 2009 at 11:11 am
(42) Franny Syufy says:

Kelsey:
Sorry, but no one here can help you. It’s very possible that your kitten was scratched in the eye by the other one. If that is the case, she could lose her eye if not treated. Your local vet is the only one who can help you. Veterinary care is as important as food and water to cats and kittens. Did you not consider this when you adopted them?

October 11, 2009 at 12:43 pm
(43) REBECCA BETHEL says:

MY CAT NAME IS SIMON HE WON,T EAT HE IS VERY SICK I DON,T NO WHAT TO DO WHEN I PICK HIM UP IT HURTS HIM WHAT CAN I DO

October 21, 2009 at 12:49 am
(44) Brenda Mann says:

Is there a place on the internet that has info on home care because I can’t afford a vet?

December 30, 2009 at 6:35 pm
(45) Georgia says:

I’m so worried about my cat i got her when she was a kitten round about June/July on Christmas Day she was sick and very weak she got better…Now she’s been sick 3 times today…and i think it’s possibly because she was outside in the garden for a while…i opened the door and she stood on the top step for a while and she hasn’t been nutured has she got something wrong with her ?? x

February 15, 2010 at 9:46 am
(46) jessi says:

i just would like to say that these websites are supposed to be help and half of what i read is telling people to take them to the vet. just because you can afford a vet doesnt mean that everyone else can bring them to the vet as soon as something happens. i love my animals and would love to bring them to the vet every time something came up but i just cant. i find it very rude that you keep saying you shouldnt take the kitten if you cant afford the vet. if everyone went by that more than half the animals in the world wouldnt have homes. these people are just trying to help their kittens. stop being rude and try to help instead…if they could bring it to the vet obviously they would and wouldnt be looking on the internet!

August 28, 2011 at 3:24 pm
(47) margar3t says:

a better solution: SPAY AND NEUTER YOUR PETS. There are FAR too many kittens being born.. and obviously unable to be cared for properly. It is not animal cruelty to get a cat fixed– it is cruel to have an over population of kittens(cats) with no homes or less than adequete condition of homes.. OR rather improper care for illness’.
I agree, veteranarians are expensive.. but if one is unable to afford a vet (in case of such situations) then we should not own a pet– let alone allow our cats to have litter upon litter

May 10, 2010 at 2:15 am
(48) Christine says:

My cat hasn’t been eating or drinking and she’s nursing. I’ve tried to get her to eat, and I think she’s running out of milk for the kittens. I bought a bottle and some formula, and on the formula can it said you could feed it to the nursing cat. Since she won’t eat or drink I tried feeding her with the bottle. She drank some, but now her “lips” are red and infected looking where the bottle was, and that was instant. Is she allergic to the bottle? Should I be concerned, or let it heal? I whiped it with a wet rag, hoping it’d help a little. I’ve never had a nursing cat that had issues during so I’m bent out of shape worrying to death. I’m afraid for the kittens, and now for her since it did that to her mouth, should I not have fed it to her?

August 28, 2011 at 3:26 pm
(49) margar3t says:

latex allergy?

June 3, 2010 at 1:00 am
(50) Donna says:

My cat had kittens 3 days ago inside this cat cube bed/toy. She lives in our garage with the kittens and this cube is in a secluded area of the garage. This is where she birthed them and it is still blood stained and stinky, and is cramped. She has a hard time laying down to feed them. I tried to move them last night into a larger box but she didn’t like that at all. She immediately started to try and pick up the babies that I put in the new box and jumped back inside the cube, so I put the kittens back into the cube. Then she stayed in there with them. Should I worry about getting her a cleaner, bigger place or will she move them when she is ready?

August 3, 2010 at 10:53 am
(51) Katie says:

DO YOUR RESEARCH BEFORE YOU GET YOUR PET. IT IS NOTHING SHORT OF SELFISH NOT TO. IF YOUR PET IS SICK YOU NEED TO BRING HIM TO A VET IMMEDIATELY! YOU SHOULDN’T HAVE A PET IF YOU CANNOT AFFORD IT. MAKE A RAINY DAY FUND FOR EMERGENCIES.

These threads are upsetting to read. I know you all mean well but your attitude is all wrong. Sticky eyes and sneezing will generally mean your kittens have a cold = go to the vet immediately or it will die. Some kittens when recovering from a cold will get weepy eyes = boil water, leave it cool down and dab their eyes with clean cotton balls to rid of the goo and prevent them sticking together. Do not use the same cotton ball for each eye, keep as clean as possible to avoid it spreading. NEVER NEVER feed a kitten (or cat) milk, they are lactose intolerent. You can buy cat safe milk in most stores. Keep them warm, don’t let them outside, ensure they get all their vaccinations and spay after 5 months. We have too many kittens in the world and not enough owners and they are dying ever minute. Nueter your pet please!

August 28, 2011 at 3:32 pm
(52) margar3t says:

YES– THANK YOU!! my goodness it’s very hard to see that so many people don’t understand

August 31, 2010 at 8:16 pm
(53) Karin says:

My 4-month old Calico has just started to “sit” funny – on her sides. She uses both sides and doesn’t seem to be in pain. I have checked her legs and paws and there are no obvious injuries. She is eating well. Her sister is able to jump much higher so I am concerned that Callie’s back legs might be weak for some reason. Can a cat this young have arthritis?

December 29, 2010 at 9:15 am
(54) Kathryna says:

my cat kiri had 4 kittens they were healthy at first but then after two or three weeks time one of the smallest got weaker and weaker everyday. it couldn’t suck like the others could amd then it started meoing alot. my parents couldn’t go to vet because it was to expensive, so the next day it died.
there wereonly three kittens left but then the other male one got very ill so i fed him with baby milk and it felt better the next it got weaker and weaker and kept meow until it died.
i even realized that my cats breaths were sore and that why baby milk and the other two too.

January 22, 2011 at 2:05 pm
(55) Katie says:

I found a kitten outside the other night and she seems to be in okayy shape, if just a little hungry. Except she has some build up of some gunk coming from her eyes and her nose and she keeps sneezing. I fed her and got her water and a warm place to sleep, but I was wondering what the discharge was and how it could affect the kittens health.

January 22, 2011 at 6:43 pm
(56) Franny Syufy says:

Katie, your found kitten’s symptoms sound very much like an upper respiratory infection. Unless she receives veterinary care quickly, she could become much sicker and even die. Also, if you bring her indoors, she could infect other cats in your house, so be sure to keep her isolated until she receives veterinary care.

January 23, 2011 at 3:07 pm
(57) Eleanor says:

I have just one comment and it is directed at all of the people who say that they can’t afford vet care for their kittens:

Why did you let your cat have kittens if you cannot afford to care for them properly?

And before you say that you didn’t plan for it to happen…you made that decision the day that you decided NOT to have your female cat spayed! Leaving an ill kitten to suffer for days/weeks without seeking professional advice from a real live vet is very, very cruel. And kids, if your parent will not provide needed care for your cats and kittens please find someone who will. A local animal charity or shelter. If you cannot look after them, for whatever reason, pass them to someone who can. These are living, feeling creatures. Leaving them to suffer (and die in some cases!) is never, NEVER, an option.

Note: I adopted two stray kittens on a Sunday and on the following day (as soon as the vet was open again) I took one to the vet because he was obviously ill. He is now happy and healthy!

February 17, 2011 at 10:17 am
(58) colleen says:

I took my kittens to the vet three times. They had a cold. So did the mom and she wouldn’t feed them. 2 of the 5 died and we have one more who can’t poop. We tried everything the vet said. He said there is dried food in his stomach. I can afford the vet and have been going everyday. Does anyone know anything I can do for him. His biggest problem is not being able to poo but he is also sick with a virus.

April 11, 2011 at 11:31 am
(59) p10 says:

is it to late if 4 week old kitten vomiting and diarrhea and lost her mom in 4days, then get back to her mom to get her mom milk? please reply me asap.

April 22, 2011 at 12:10 am
(60) melynda says:

i have a four week old kitten that mom stoped feeding is doing very well,eats really good,sleeps well, walking and playing but not peeing or pooping what do i do?

May 9, 2011 at 11:28 pm
(61) angel says:

my cat had kittens they were doing so well ,and then one died she had 5 kittens they drink water refuse to eat and weak in the legs wont walk at all what can i do

May 18, 2011 at 10:29 pm
(62) Rebecca says:

My kitten is almost 2 months and has been happy and healthy since. He was fine this morning his usual self until an hour ago. His eyes have slits covering like 1/3 of is eyeballs and he’s lethargic. I just saw him eat not but 2 hours ago. What is wrong with him?? I can’t take him to the vet til’ morning. HELP!?

June 13, 2011 at 2:42 am
(63) kylie. says:

well i found some kitten yesterday i got one and took it good cleaned it up and she was fine . Yes my parents were mad when they saw but the next day my mom said to get the other one because she didnt wont it to suffer . So we did . Cleaned her up to . They are eating . Good. But i took my to the potty not to long ago and molly poop was white . I texted my mom that we need to take her to the vet . But i dont know how long that will take . What do i do to help molly and can she infect her playful sister anabell if she sick ?

June 16, 2011 at 12:43 am
(64) Jason says:

This goes to everyone in the same boat. If you find cats or kittens it is fine to clean them up but you must quarantine them till you get them to a vet, no telling what they may or may not have, and some diseases are transmutable to humans. so clean them up as best as you and take them immediately to a vet.

June 18, 2011 at 4:25 pm
(65) anna says:

MY Kitten was born a runt he was eating a lil bit but now he stopped eating and walking and just sleeps and meows sometimes….. he is 1 mon old, i tryed giving him milk he swallows it fine. i dont know whats wrong with him please help…

June 27, 2011 at 6:05 pm
(66) kimberly says:

I’ve been taking care of a kitten that is 3 months old we rescued from the street. his stomach was bloated and he had diarrhea and fleas. i took him to the vet and he treated the fleas and prescribed a basic anti-diarrhea medicine. first i have to say: i am in egypt, and the vets here are awful, i have had one kitten die on me for prescribing a dose of antibiotics that was too strong, i have been to a zillion that come highly recommended but no one is ever helpful! the kitten we have just adopted wasnt that sick when we got him, just the bloat and diarrhea. i gave him the anti-diarrhea medicine that didnt help, and the next fews days he got even worse. he got a fever, stopped eating, drinking and had continuous diarrhea and vomiting. i took him to the vet…not helpful, as he didnt diagnose anything. he gave him a general antibiotic and fluids and prescribed tons of meds. i looked over the list and saw that none of them were for treating illnesses, just symptoms. he is a very little kitten so i decided to take my own approach, and give him none of these medicines. (he also got ringworm that i have been putting a spray on that is gentle). i religiously force fed him wet food through a syringe, had him drink water flavored with tuna, and i took him out to play and sit in the sun everyday. he recovered amazingly! BUT THEN, after 1 day of having an appetite (his stool was still loose) and not vomiting, he sort of relapsed…not severely though, only for about half a day. the confusing thing is, he doesnt act sick at all, he is happy, playful, social…but then he will not eat for half a day and not touch his water and i will find him meowing in pain before vomiting or defecating. this has been going on for 3 days. im very confused because he does not act sick at all, and the vet has nothing productive to say. so, any advice for a kitten who loses his appetite and thirst, has diarrhea and vomits occasionally, but gets up to play after?!!! please help

July 28, 2011 at 11:54 am
(67) shyra says:

well i just picked up a stray kitten a couple days ago. she resembles a Siamese cat but she is not pure blood. when i first got her i got her evrything she needed including cat litter box dry and wet food a collar with her name on i which is Luna (meaning the moon) and everything. i looked on the net to find out how to get flees off her. and they told me to put her in warm water then wash her with dawn the dish soap. even the pet store told me to do that. once i got the flees off her i noticed her breathing funny and making funny noises. i thought nothing of it. the next day came and it seemed like it was gona alil besides the constant sneezing. then today comes and she breathing funny again. i don hav the means of getting her to the vet. i just spent like 89$ on this cat and the vet is too expensive. so what am i posta do? let her die from watevr sickness she has or giv her to some1 who can get her to the vet which i dont know any1 whod do that. (im kinda at a stand still) i was hoping this wedsite would help but it didnt. now what?

August 5, 2011 at 6:47 am
(68) Melody says:

You guys are just AWFUL! Berating the author for not replying is asinine! If you can’t afford a VET you can not afford a PET. Stop killing innocent pets with stupidity.

August 13, 2011 at 3:12 am
(69) penelope says:

my kitten is behaving strangely and it is getting weaker and weaker.today i noticed that it is bitten by a cat and that spot is filled with blood.i gave it food but it would not eat.it turned around and vomated .i think it has cold.what should i treat it to make it feel better?

August 13, 2011 at 4:06 am
(70) Compassionate dove says:

My kitten is begining to sleep too much

August 17, 2011 at 10:21 pm
(71) Tiffany says:

I’m sorry but I must say that I found this site a complete waste of time. The replies are more often than not extremely rude. Why have a site like this when the only reply is “take them to the vet instead of looking for answers online”? Sometimes one can not go to the vet at that very moment but they care enough to try their best to care for the animal until they can get professional treatment. If helping someone is a burden to you than maybe you will think twice before starting a.site like this again!!

September 12, 2011 at 7:38 pm
(72) Nikki says:

COULDN’T SAY IT BETTER!!! THANK YOU!!!

September 15, 2011 at 4:07 pm
(73) leah says:

My cat had kittens but I kept one and he is 1 or 2 months old he keeps on nursing his eyes r pink with gooye stuff in his eyes when he sleeps he gets it is it because he keeps nursing when she has no milk or is it because he been picked up alot

November 23, 2011 at 12:52 am
(74) Shane says:

My Cat died this morning at age 21 and i am still corious why he wouldnt eat. he would only drink water and when he did he would throw it right back up. So my question is why was he throwing up water after he drank it and wouldnt eat anything?

Thanks,
Shane Out

November 24, 2011 at 3:45 pm
(75) fran says:

i have a 6 week old kitten that is very sick. i dont know what she has. she not eating or drinking, lethragic, skinny , limp slow to rapid breathingeyes glossy too. help!wat does she have?

December 4, 2011 at 9:54 pm
(76) ariel says:

i have a 2 and half old kitten and first couple nights i had her she would throw up so pet store said her food was to rich for her royal nine. so i got her iams. she does good eating and didnt get sick first couple days but tonight she threw up a couple times and then hads the runs and whe she was done pooping she just sat in her kitty box for like ten min and would not move. sence i have got her she hasnt played not one time all she does is sleep she wakes up long enough to eat and cry and go bathroom and goes right back to sleep. i think something is wrong with her

December 12, 2011 at 9:06 pm
(77) Beck24 says:

My friend has 5 kittens and 1 seems sick or he may just be sore he cabt get up to go pee he’s urinated on himself twice and he’s been shaking a little he just sleeps and he was one of the more active kittens. We have not tooken his temp. But his ears seem slittly warmer then the others and he’s breathing a lot faster then the others. I just gave him some anti-biotics (made for cats) what do you think he has? And what she I do for the little guy :(

Becky

January 24, 2012 at 9:26 pm
(78) Paige says:

Wow! I was looking for some information about kittens and I must say that I am shocked at the way people are talking to one another. You should absolutely be ashamed of yourselves.
While I am a firm believer in spaying and neutering your pets, I also agree that sometimes “things” do happen. We are not asking for money or even much of your time…. This is a public forum and for you to be rude and hateful is beyond unnecessary! Maybe you are an animal lover because you have absolutely NO people skills!!!

February 1, 2012 at 8:46 pm
(79) Aaron says:

my kitten is acting weird she comes up to me at 8:00pm and just falls asleep on me i dont now what to do the vets are shut and my kitten has got the sneezes and coughs and she doesnt got to her litter box which is all clean she only eats 3 times a week she leaves the rest and she wont drink her milk either i dont know what to do ( HELP !!! )

March 1, 2012 at 4:14 pm
(80) Audrey says:

my 4 month old is bringing food back up is this normal ?

April 19, 2012 at 5:20 am
(81) freya says:

I just adopted a domestic kitten a month ago.. and he’s doing very well but there are times that he’s kinda weak and won’t eat.. when those times happened I feed him milk and let him sleep whole day then the day after he’s back to his normal activity.. I guess he’s easily get sick because he doesn’t have the right amount of nutrition from mama cat’s milk.. breast feeding is really important to all mammals to keep them healthy.. we’ve been taking care of cats for almost 10 years and most of them are very healthy because they’re all undergo breastfeeding for a long period of time..

April 19, 2012 at 5:44 am
(82) freya says:

we are cat owner for almost 10 years.. none of our pet have been taken to a vet because they are all heathy.. coz they all undergo breastfeeding from their mama cat… and we didn’t feed them cat food, instead we give them cooked fresh fish with rice..

May 4, 2012 at 11:53 pm
(83) Valena Martinez says:

I found 2 kittens approx 4 wks old in a drainage ditch Sunday, they were very malnurished, I have been giving them replacement milk. but tonite i noticed that they have diarrhea, vomiting, and have saliva coming out of the mouth, and they r very weak not hardly moving, the vet is closed and i’m afraid they will not make it til tomorrow..Please tell me what I can do..I do not want to wake up to something fatal!!

May 21, 2012 at 5:52 pm
(84) Kat says:

My cat had kittens like a month ago but today I found one that couldn’t get up and all it’s doing is laying down and it’s really weak. I’m really worried do u know what I should do.

May 25, 2012 at 12:54 pm
(85) Tuna says:

A few of my kittens have eye and nose discharge and it looks very uncomfortable. Their mom was a stray we took in and she seemed friendly, so she must had had an owner at sometime. She had bad eye discharge too and I was wondering if the kittens got that from her. I clean their eyes everyday but it always comes back. My dad wants to get rid of the kittens anyway so I won’t be able to convince him to take them to the vet. I will be taking them to get fixed soon, though. We use this mobile fixing service and I’m not sure if theyll fix it.
Is there any home remedies I could use? PLEASE HELP!!!!

May 31, 2012 at 1:22 pm
(86) lauryl says:

my kitten is very sick and it wont eat at all ;(

May 31, 2012 at 1:34 pm
(87) Lauryl says:

Dear Stormy,

Honestly I think you should take your kitten to a different vet if they are worried about the money before the kitten.THAT IS JUST CRAZY!!!!

That is just my opinion.

Sincerely,
Lauryl

May 31, 2012 at 8:21 pm
(88) chunky monkey says:

I have a 5wk old kitten that was running and playing this morning. but within 5 to 6 hours later he is not able to balance or walk keeps falling over. its almost like a neurological problem but why wood it happen from one minute to the next? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

June 3, 2012 at 2:17 am
(89) Katie says:

God some of the people on here are so nasty to those just looking for help! Get down off of your freaking pedestal and either say something nice or go to another site! Yes, obviously most of these pets would benefit from Vet care, but considering that Emergency Vets charge $100 to walk in the door let alone have your pet seen it’s next to impossible for some. And as for the whole, “well if you don’t have the money to care for your pet you shouldn’t have pets” bull crap, consider this: Healthy animals are very easy to care for and inexpensive, shots being about $20 A YEAR, a check up around $30-$50 A YEAR, and food being easily affordable (thank God for coupons). Not many people who decide to get a pet dwell on the fact that their pet may become extremely ill. How many women decide to have a baby and think, “Well, my baby is probably gonna get leukemia by the time he’s seven, so I better start saving up now!” Face it, people don’t really plan ahead for these things because it’s not something you want to even consider could happen to a beloved pet. Just because they don’t have the money on hand to fork over for expensive sick visits for pets DOES NOT mean they don’t care about them and shame on anyone who thinks that! Due to the economy, the fact that many are out of work or severely underpaid, or have other priorities that may supersede spending astronomical prices on animal care (like feeding their young children) they just might not be able to see a vet right now. If you would choose your pet over your children..well it’s easy to see you don’t have children. I have all the respect in the world for people who are on here trying to get help, because if they didn’t care about their pets then they wouldn’t be on here!

June 3, 2012 at 3:42 am
(90) Katie says:

Franny Syufy-For a forum poster insistent on providing info 4 concerned owners u are remarkably uncaring. These people want help,not offensive comments. No one wants 2 dwell on the fact that their animal may get very sick. That is why people r unprepared 4 such tragedy. This doesn’t mean that they don’t give their animal excellent care on a regular basis. It’s not expensive 2 care 4 a healthy pet and many people can afford it easily. It’s when u have 2 go 2 an emergency vet that charges over $100 just 2 walk in the door that it gets 2 be unaffordable. These people r trying 2 help their pets. No one is here 2 be judged, least of all by u. They r aware their pet needs a vet but 4 some reason (a fact u seem 2 be unable 2 comprehend) they can’t do it right away. If a someone sees a kitten shivering on the side of the road should they just leave it because they can’t afford a vet? If a person is going through a rough patch and can’t afford a $2000 emergency visit does it make them unworthy of the love of a pet? I was a vet tech 4 many years and have done rescues for some time now. I just rescued 19 sick kittens. I have a non-profit rescue and try 2 help pets any way I can. Sadly I haven’t been getting many donations lately and while I am doing my best I can’t afford the $800 minimum for each kitten 2 be seen right away. Does that mean that I should be damned by u? What if u were seriously injured in a car accident on some deserted road and someone drove by and stopped but said “I don’t have a cell phone and can’t afford the gas 2 take u 2 the hospital, so good luck!”? Yes,vet care is a necessity,pets should be spayed/neutered as soon as they are old enough,and it’s sad these people can’t go 2 a vet right away. But at least they r trying 2 find help instead of doing nothing. If u want 2 b**ch so badly, b**ch at the people who intentionally cause harm 2 animals by fighting them, beating them, or doing other cruel things, not the people who want to help them

June 20, 2012 at 12:07 pm
(91) Amanda says:

well my kitten cant even drink milk for its mom with out sneezing so it only drinks a little so i am scared it will die for not drinking and from being sick so please help !!!!:(

June 26, 2012 at 5:48 pm
(92) Terri says:

This is in no way helpful at off…..waste of time! If all you were going to say was take the cat to a vet, duh! Take it down…it is rude and not of any value to these people seeking help! Grrrr

June 26, 2012 at 7:45 pm
(93) Franny Syufy says:

Feel better now, Terri?

September 8, 2012 at 4:58 pm
(94) Sallie says:

We have got this 5weeks d kitten and it didn’t eat allll day only a tin little bit in the morning and then he didn’t poo until 10pm and then finally he poo’d and then he fell back asleep he woke up and then he vomited allot he is so weak now he can’t even walk properly everytime he walks he falls down and he is shaking as well a bit
Pleaasseeeee help??????
Yy

November 13, 2012 at 11:28 am
(95) Alysse Burzycki says:

Hello my name is Alysse Burzycki and I have recently adopted two kittens the one that is healthy is Magic. Now the one that is sick is Mittyns, at the Humane Society it seemed like she was fine maybe just a runny nose we have been keeping them separated for the most part. I have bought pediacare and give it to her and eye drop… However her eyes are still getting oozeish like bugers in them. She has a great appetite and drinks lots of water. She is just tired all the time. Luckily I have a room the size of the one my husband and I share but I was wondering if there is any over the counter liquid medicine or anything so help clear her eyes up. Thanks!

Alysse

November 21, 2012 at 6:48 am
(96) cindy says:

actually,i been rearing a few stray cats behind my house.one of the cats has three new born kittens.however,one of the kittens is sick and the mother don’t seen to care.Now,it has no strenght to eat or drink.my mother refuse to bring that kitten to the vet.what should i do?

November 22, 2012 at 2:07 am
(97) krystal says:

my kittens are 4 weeks today they have stiff legs sum times , is it just cos they have woken up and trying to get used to being on there legs or what im not sure, i think im worrying to much.at 4 weeks old they arent eatting yet ill try them in a week then rehome.8-) any ideas for stiff legs.

March 1, 2013 at 3:14 am
(98) cccam server|server cardsharing|skybox f3 cardsharing|cccam|cardsharing anbieter|cccam pay server|cccam server premium|dreambox|server dreambox|buy cardsharing|cardsharing|cardsharing server|dreambox 800|free card sharing server|satellite cardsharing king says:
May 21, 2013 at 7:16 am
(99) Laura says:

I agree stop telling people take them to a vet believe it or not there are areas without emergency vets or even a vet. NO Pet unless you can afford it well what if like most people said they found them. THe one person said stop killing kittens. Well they should shut up and pay attention alot of them would die anyways because they were rescued. If not rescued they would DIE! Please just give the advise that people think they would get by coming here or close the site. You all should be kinder, to others not put them down for trying to help.

May 25, 2013 at 4:39 pm
(100) tiffany pugh says:

hi I have a kitten with sickness n runs everytime me and my partner feeds him it just comes out of him either sick or runs and hes very cold we have heating on and try keep him warm and hes just really cold and we don’t know what we can do for him plz

May 31, 2013 at 8:13 am
(101) Maggie May says:

I too am shocked at the response to people who are asking for help. I have had a cat with one litter, we still have the “kittens” they are now 18 years old. However my daughter’s cat has just given birth to four kittens and I feel so inadequate as to their needs and am becoming paranoid about their well-being. This site would not encourage me in any way .

June 4, 2013 at 2:08 pm
(102) meagen says:

my kitten is bout 6-7 weeks he is very weak and refuses to eat, drink, and go to the bathroom. I am worried sick. He has been doing this since Sunday afternoon. I love him so much please give me some advice. I am going to the vets sometime today. I force feed him he only has diarrhea. :(

June 5, 2013 at 6:29 pm
(103) Franny Syufy says:

Meagan, please let us know what the vet said yesterday.

June 5, 2013 at 11:52 am
(104) CATHY says:

For those of you that have cats with eye problems such as infections, I recommend using Saline solution.You can make your own & it’s safe for pets & humans as well. You boil about 1 to 2 cups of water & then add 1 teaspoon of regular table salt per cup of water .Stir the salt in cover the pan & let it completely cool down. You can put it into a sterile jar or cup with a cover & keep it in the fridge.
When it’s cooled down to room temperature,take a cotton ball & saturate it with the saline solution & gently wipe over the eyes,try to remove as much of the puss as possible. I usually take another clean cotton ball & saturate it & squeeze a bit of the solution into the eye too. It will burn of coarse, because of the salt but do this 3 to 4 times a day & the infection should clear up within a day or 2.
If the eye still looks infected or funny,call the vet. Or in the case of humans,the doctor.
You can also use the saline on bites or wounds.

June 21, 2013 at 3:10 pm
(105) Gracie says:

This is what my vet told me to do with my sick kittens. First off if they have matted eyes and sneezing, they have a cold. Sometimes there is nothing you can do, not even the vet. But going to the vet is best for this. In the meantime clean their eyes with a cotton ball or soft cloth moistened in warm water. Clean cloth for each kitten.If they are just not eating and laying around it can be what they call “fading” where they are normal one day and just fade the next. Very little you or vet can do, but take to vet. If they are rejected by mom or are the runt and not eating. Get kitten formula powder from vet. It is best. If not possible walmart or pet stores carry formula. Never feed a cat or kitten cows milk. Keep them warm but too warm ( a heating pad set on low with a towel on top and give them a place to move off of it it too warm) and if they have diarrhea give pedialyte (walmart, walgreens) by a dropper or syringe. Be careful not to squirt it too hard as it can get in their lungs. If a kitten has not been eating it can have low sugar, a tiny bit of Karo syrup on your finger onto their tongue can work wonders. These should only be use in emergency as in late at night and vet is closed or weekend. I have taken several kittens to emergency vet and it costs big time like $100 for 5 or 10 minute visit. They should be ashamed of taking advantage of kittens not knowing what time or day it is when they decide to get sick! LOL

July 26, 2013 at 5:28 am
(106) Seriously says:

WOW. Soooo many horrific pet owners on here. Makes me fearful of adopting out healthy little foster kittens I am caring for. What if they end up with some idiot who thinks vet care is not needed or too expensive? And then idiots trying to say that telling someone to take a deathly ill kitten to the vet is rude?! REALLY?!! If you cannot afford vet care then YOU CAN NOT AFFORD A PET!! Who the hell wouldn’t be able to come up with $200 if their CHILD was deathly ill? Maybe some worthless crack head or something, yet here is an entire page of morons who can’t come up with the money to take care of a pet who SHOULD BE LIKE A CHILD. It is shocking that these people openly post this stuff, they should be flat out ashamed. For all these poor little kittens dying and suffering due to horrible owners, karma is going to come back and bite you in the butt.

August 3, 2013 at 8:52 am
(107) DD says:

Kittens can be fed chicken baby food when sick(and u can’t get to the vet) also replacement milk-KMR. If the kitten is too young to eat on its own-then bottle feed. Go to vet when u can. As for fleas the kitten can be washed in Dawn dish washing detergent, make sure you RINSE out completely, use a wash cloth for face and try to pick the fleas out of the head, u may put a drop of mineral oil In Eyes, so they don’t get irritated before bathing.

August 4, 2013 at 3:55 pm
(108) Hassan says:

My cat cannot walk and is excreting alot of saliva and has loose waste.

August 5, 2013 at 3:23 pm
(109) shaney says:

Hi my cat gave birth 4and half weeks ago and kittens was doing fine but now one if them seems to be breathing heavy she not drinking from mum and is really small and thin u can feel her ribs plz help i don’t think she will make it until the morning till i can get her to the vets plz HELP ! Thanks

August 13, 2013 at 11:07 pm
(110) lindynn says:

My kitten is about 11 weeks old and all of sudden shes been gettinf sick. When she came to us we were feeding her whiskas kitty milk supplimeny and shes been whiskas soft food and she was doing great two days ago I bought a different flavor and got off work to find she had gotten sick then I noticed today shes not eating or drinking we have soft and hard food plus kitty milk and water so she can choose what she wants but still nothing she has been peeing and pooping and shes not a shy eater ive never had this happen with a kitten before please help

August 17, 2013 at 8:36 am
(111) Sarah says:

I have been fostering kittens since 1/18/2012. I have a had a large number of them live and a small number pass on. Some of them were just to weak to make it even though I was feeding them KMR regularly, and assisting them in going poop and pee. I have had some really rough cases and it about destroyed me losing them. But I have also had some really great success stories. The ultimate best advice I can offer is to take the babies to the vet if you have no clue whats going on. They can give you the best advice and medicine and the sense of direction you want to be on. I have learned alot from vets and being married to a guy who doctors calves for a living helps me cause I ask him what to do and he scales it down for me to a kitten level.

August 21, 2013 at 11:57 pm
(112) Hannah says:

I’m wondering if anyone has had this happen to their kitten and what was wrong, i might know what caused it but not sure. So, this morning when i woke up my cats little 2 week old kitten was cold and not drinking and kinda weak. I tried to get him get some drink off the mom cat but he let go right away cause he never had the strength. So, most of the day i was with him trying to make him warm. Later on at night he got worse. He was even more weak and was breathing heavy and was still cold. I put him with the mom cat and he was just lying there breathing heavy so i told him to go and i got on my bed and then he made a weird noise. I went over and he was barely breathing. I kissed his head and then he died. Was it cause he was only premature? He grew bigger than what he was when he was born. He had ALL of his hair but on his ears. And that finally grew there and his eyes were starting to open few days ago.

August 28, 2013 at 6:35 pm
(113) Jenna says:

My 11week old kitten has been sneezing alot, I’ve only had her for 3 days and she seems perfectly fine in the sense of eating, drinking and playing but she sounds so snuffly and croaky when she mews. But there are no signs of a runny nose or eyes?
I took her to the vet just incase and she gave me a week of anti biotics but now it’s impossible to get them in her, so far I’ve only tried crushing it very finely into her food as I wanted to avoid just putting it down her throat, is there any easier solution? She’s so small and fragile. I don’t want to traumatise her but throwing it down her neck.

December 5, 2013 at 10:23 pm
(114) catlover says:

I just got a kitten that has matted eyes runny nose and now the poops the lady before we got her said they were outside I need help what to do

December 6, 2013 at 2:25 pm
(115) Franny Syufy says:

Catlover, you didn’t provide a whole lot of information – whether the “lady” who had the kitten before was working with a cat rescue group, or whether her outdoor cat had kittens, or what.

But from what little you’ve shared, it is most likely the kitten has an <a href=”http://cats.about.com/cs/healthissues/a/uris_in_cats.htm”>upper respiratory disease</a>, along with <a href=”http://vetmedicine.about.com/od/diseasesandconditions/a/CW-Conjunctivitis.htm”>conjunctivitis (pinkeye)</a>.

Both are extremely serious, and both require medical (veterinary) treatment and care. Cats can go blind because of untreated conjunctivitis.

First, I hope you are keeping the kitten indoors now, as it’s entirely too cold in December for any kitten to be outside, especially a sick one.

I know some people think I should give you all kinds of self-care instructions, but I refuse to practice medicine without a license. The most advice I can give is to make sure your kitten eats enough to keep his strength – canned kitten food, not dry – and drinks enough to keep well-hydrated. Second, you can try using a <B>mild</B> boric acid solution on a sterile cotton ball, to help irrigate his eyes. Wear rubber gloves, and be extremely careful in handling him, as conjunctivitis can be transferred from cats to humans.

Last, this kitten should be taken to a veterinarian as soon as possible. If you think you can’t afford veterinary care, see if you can find a cat rescue group in your community for help. They might either be able to refer you to their veterinarian or offer some other kind of help.

Good luck with your kitten!

December 10, 2013 at 5:28 pm
(116) Elaine says:

Is a kittens nose suppost to be dry or wet. Need help

December 17, 2013 at 7:55 pm
(117) Amanda says:

my cat had 5 kittens and one keeps puking every 5 seconds and they are onley 7 weeks old and 1 got sick and now she just now got sick and i told my mom that the computer says that if your kitten is sick then take her to the vet and i asked her if we could and she sayed no not unless she needs to go and now she sniffed the food and turned to the water and drank some water and started sleeping on the water bowl what should i do? should i take her to the vet or should i wait? I NEED AN ASWER RIGHT AWAY

December 19, 2013 at 4:51 pm
(118) Vicky baines says:

My kittens eyes have always been watery from 6 weeks old she is now 6 months why

December 29, 2013 at 11:23 pm
(119) Kai says:

My kitten seems perfectly healthy but her nose is really dry and warm and it seems like she won’t drink anything (i haven seen her drink any of her water) i have to take her to the vet when the holidays are over to get her spayed. should i have her checked out then to see if she really is sick?

December 29, 2013 at 11:50 pm
(120) Franny Syufy says:

Kai, it sounds like she has a temperature. I’d give her small amounts of water or salt-free chicken broth in a syringe. Make sure it trickles down the side of her throat to keep her from aspirating it.

Then, definitely as your vet to check her out prior to the spay. She shoudn’t have surgery until she’s given a clean bill of health.

January 6, 2014 at 8:23 am
(121) kirst says:

My 10 month old kitten has been sick twice in the past hour, it is a brownish colour and she is not interested in her food or water. I can’t get in touch with my vet until 5 as they are not open until then. What can I do to keep her comfortable until then?

January 12, 2014 at 12:39 pm
(122) maddym says:

My 10w old f kitten has become very lethargic, sleepy, has a temp of 40.1 degrees celsius causing her to shiver, white gums, dry nose, no bowel issues or vomiting. Very sooky. Compared to her aggressive playful self. Isn’t eating and she has been wormed. No contact with other kittens. Has anyone else ever had these symptoms before?

February 26, 2014 at 1:21 am
(123) Naved khan says:

Hi everyone , i want to discuss a problem with my cat , it happened 3days ago , we have at least 15cats in house, 1 of my kitten had suddenly before his dead he was cold ( i have visited doctor he said the body temprature was low) and hard to touch his body, was becomimg frozen and he died , after his death 3more cats has die within 2days and again 4more big cats have been affected and they also going to die soon , they dnt eat any thing only drink water sometime and sit in bathroom near the water , I DNT KNW WHAT IS HAPPENING CAN ANY 1 HELP ME , IS THIS A RARE DISEASE OR COMMON , Please help the whole generation gonna die

April 13, 2014 at 10:39 pm
(124) Rex says:

Some of you people have no right having a kitten or a cat. A sick kitten is nothing to screw around with. Take it to the vet NOW. That little ball of fur is depending on YOU and you alone to care for it. It’s your responsibility to ensure that it is healthy and happy. If you parents don’t agree, then save your allowance up for when the cat does get sick.

I swear if I could, I would slap the stupid out of half of you. It’s a baby and it’s sick! Do you go to the doctor when you are sick? Do you take your children to the doctor when they are sick? Of course you do. Take it to the vet and if you don’t have the money for that, then you have no business owning or having a cat.

It’s that simple.