1. Home

Franny Syufy

Battery Powered Cats Drinking Fountain Found

By November 13, 2011

Update 11-13-2011

For over 3.5 years, since this blog originated on April 6, 2008 my readers and I have been searching for a cat-safe battery-operated automatic drinking fountain. We had found plenty of décorative fountains, but they were always made from materials which could be potentially hazardous to cats. A couple of days ago I received an email from Eberhard Basler, a ceramic artist, who creates extravagently beautify décorative fountains for tables, walls, and outdoors. He also creates ceramic fountains for pets, and sells them on his website, Ebi's Ceramic Art Pet Drinking Fountains. I was taken with the clever original designs and beautiful glazes, but very glad to see that everything in these fountains was safe for cats. The fountains are designed with a low center of gravity so that they are virtually non-tippable. They utilize two separate filters: a wire mesh one to catch large particles, such as food or hair, and the second one, the same as those used in Drinkwell fountains. The battery-operated pump is optional. There are 40 different glazes and combinations of these, all of which are certified non-toxic and lead free. Yes, the fountains are expensive, compared to some of the plastic electric powered brands. In my opinion, it might be worth the extra cost, for a longer life and the bonus of an attractive fountain with a whimsical frog, colorful flower, or other clever spouts providing the water stream. The fountains are almost all special order, and you can select glazes and spout, as well as size and water capacity of your own fountain. I'm truly delighted with this find, and I suspect many of my readers will be, too.
Photo Credit: © Ebi's Ceramic Art Pet Drinking Fountains

Original post: I have to admit the question of where to find a battery-operated pet fountain has me stymied. Automatic Water Dispensers for cats are so convenient, practical, and appealing to cats that love fresh water. One would think that a savvy manufacturer would come up with a battery operated drinking fountain. Sometimes it takes a great deal of creativity to find an appropriate place for a drinking fountain with a convenient electrical outlet. Then again, if you're like me, you worry that the cord might fall into the fountain. I just ordered another Drinkwell Platinum fountain (compare prices), this one to go in my bedroom for Jenny. Unfortunately, the only logical place for it is next to my nightstand, where the electrical outlet is already overburdened.

If anyone out there knows of a battery-operated cat drinking fountain, please let me know. You can post here in a comment or email me.

Comments

April 6, 2008 at 1:55 am
(1) peggy says:

does it have to be a “cat” fountain? how about this:

April 6, 2008 at 6:28 pm
(2) barb says:

My cat drinks from a serenity fountain (something like the above commenter linked too) I bought at Bed, Bath & Beyond. She also drinks from the fish bowl that holds a Beta (and fortunately, doesn’t show much interest in trying to get the fish), as well as the bathtub spigot. The one place she almost never drinks from is her water bowl!

April 7, 2008 at 11:35 am
(3) Jo says:

Many of the past articles about water for cats have mentioned NOT TO USE PLASTIC BOWLS – So then why is it okay to use the plastic fountain bowls? I’ve searched high and low for a stainless version I thought I saw in an ad, to no avail.

October 4, 2011 at 3:24 pm
(4) maya says:

there is a stainless steel and ceramic water fountain by PioneerPet that might suit your needs.

April 7, 2008 at 12:17 pm
(5) Rich Chease says:

My cat constantly kills mice and leaves them in her cat fountain. I haven’t figured out a way for her to use the fountain without leaving her “offering” in the water bowl.

April 7, 2008 at 2:21 pm
(6) Sue says:

Abby has a CatIt dome fountain with no bowl – it’s not battery-operated, but it may solve some of the problems mentioned above.
The cord comes out the bottom of the bowl through a channel in the base and has an adjustable rubber tube to protect it from any water droplets.
Since there’s no bowl, the cat licks the dome itself to catch the water and its skin does not generally touch the plastic. Abby gets skin rashes from plastic food and water bowls, but has been drinking from this fountain for several months and has had no problems.
I don’t think there is room in the narrow “moat” at the base for a mouse – it’s only big enough to allow the water to run back under the dome.
It was like pulling teeth to get Abby to drink enough water before, but now she loves to drink out of the fountain. The only trouble is it can be hard to find replacement filters for the dome, but it can be used without them – just filter the water through a Brita pitcher or something similar before filling the fountain.

April 8, 2008 at 10:15 am
(7) Karen says:

I would like to know if there are any dangers to my cats from the polyresin or plastic fountains? I can’t use a corded fountain, since my cats all LOVE to paw the water out, on the floor, table, wherever – they empty the automatic waterer (plastic) daily in this manner. I haven’t found any battery operated fountains that don’t use either plastic or polyresin. I also filter their water with the Brita Tap Filter. Anyone know the answer to the plastic/polyresin controversy?

Karen

March 25, 2011 at 11:56 am
(8) Nancy says:

Hi Karen,

I have been searching the Internet for information regarding the safety of the polyresin or plastic water fountains I have been using for 10 years. So far, I haven’t had any lucky! Did you ever get a response to your question regarding the safety issues?

Thanks for your response,

Nancy

April 8, 2008 at 12:28 pm
(9) Gary says:

My cat’s collar got snagged on the drop down lid on our water basin. She freaked out and we got rid of that brand.

April 8, 2008 at 6:21 pm
(10) Tracy says:

Why can’t cats eat or drink from plastic bowls? As long as they are kept clean what should it matter? Can someone give me an answer to this, please.

April 9, 2008 at 5:40 pm
(11) Sue says:

Tracy – Over time, plastic bowls are scratched by the cat’s teeth, spoons, whatever, and it is impossible to keep the scratches from harboring bacteria, which can cause a reaction on the cat’s skin. Also, some cats just get acne-like rashes from the plastic bowls; contact dermatitis of some kind, perhaps? My Abby used hard plastic bowls as a kitten, but when she went back to one briefly as an adult while I boarded her with a friend, she developed a rash that looked like a cross between warts and acne. And when I first adopted Audrey, Audrey had a similar rash on her chin, possibly also from a plastic bowl at her former home, but it was so severe that her fleas had gotten into it and her chin was bald and scabbed. Both girls use stoneware now and have had no skin problems since.
Abby’s teeth and skin never touch her fountain, since she simply licks the dome for water, and so far, no problems.

April 16, 2008 at 12:03 pm
(12) Maggie says:

OMG! My cat has terrible scabs on her back and by her ears, from scratching, so I thought. This sounds like a possibility. I am going to get rid of the plastic bowls right now!!! I was looking for a fountain, but I think I might have found a solution to a more serious problem. Thanks for the inadvertent help!

MG

April 16, 2008 at 9:51 pm
(13) Franny Syufy says:

Maggie, although it’s fine to get rid of the plastic bowls and replace them with stainless steel or ceramic (non-lead glaze), it sounds like your cat’s problem goes further than that. The rash cats get from plastic food and water dishes is more commonly on the chin, hence the name “Kitty Acne.”

Kitty needs to be seen by the vet. The problem could be as simple as fleas, and a topical flea control product can take care of that. Or it could be some other form of allergy.

April 22, 2008 at 3:28 pm
(14) Nancy says:

I, too, and looking for a battery operated water fountain for my apartment-dwelling cat. There aren’t any spots available near the few electrical outlets.

October 15, 2008 at 7:44 pm
(15) emily says:

I am also looking for a battery operatefd fountain. Someone make one, I’ll buy it!

June 7, 2009 at 11:54 am
(16) Charlene says:

The last time anyone commented on ‘battery-operated” water dispensers for cats was last year, Oct. 08, Has anyone found one since then? I would like to set one on my patio and there are no outlets there. It seems like there would be a good market for this. Thanks.

July 21, 2009 at 1:28 pm
(17) Patsy says:

My 2 cents (not fact): I think the lack of stainless steel corded fountains are to protect against electric shock? After 10 years of happy drinkwell fountain ownership I began the search for replacements as the reservoir attachments seem to be leaking. A friend said they’d never by a corded water fountain out of fear of electrocuting their cat – I’d never even thought of that! So now I am searching for a battery operated version.
Thanks for the serenity fountain idea might go that route.

August 18, 2009 at 2:25 pm
(18) Lisa says:

Back to the cordless pet waterer idea – it’s a great one, and I agree with those who said there’s a real need for something like this. I am wondering if a decorative cordless fountain could be adapted?

October 17, 2009 at 12:07 pm
(19) Bev says:

The need I have for a battery operated fountain is as follows: My cat eats on a table to keep her food from being devored by her large dog friend. The table is in the center of the room. She is also a cord chewer.

Has anyone found a battery operated fountain yet?

December 19, 2009 at 5:19 pm
(20) Julia says:

I too have been searching for a non-plastic, battery-operated kitty fountain. If I had the manufacturing know-how, I’d invent one that also had an easy-push lever that the cats could step on to turn the fountain “on” whenever they wanted; something that would shut off after a couple of minutes so the batteries wouldn’t wear out so easily. Maybe something is in the works for next year? Has anybody heard anything recently? Do they make them in Europe maybe…?

January 2, 2010 at 6:18 pm
(21) Karen says:

Hi all
Am amzed how many of us are seeking battery operated fountains
I am going to e mail the manufacturers with a link to this notice board
I’ll post if i get a reply
Karen

January 3, 2010 at 9:14 pm
(22) Laurie says:

Can add me to the list. Searching for a battery operated fountain.

January 7, 2010 at 11:04 pm
(23) misty says:

Personally I would worry about a battery operated fountain. My foutain is plugged in where a place that the cats won’t knock it out or get water on the cord. they love it. I was the only way I could get them to stop drinking out of the sink and my water glasses.

the rash on a cats chin is just what fran said. I had the same problem and when I moved my babygirl out of a multiple cat household hers cleared up and she hasn’t had a problem since with plastic. however I do agree that a ceramic bowl for food is best.

January 9, 2010 at 7:27 pm
(24) Cheryl says:

Here is a great alternative…

I bought an automatic motion sensor for the second sink in my bathroom. (You’ve probably used them at airports or movie theatres.) My cat puts her head under it, and the water comes on, and she drinks. She moves away, and the water stops. I think I got it at The Sharper image about 3 years ago. It works great!!

February 17, 2010 at 2:07 pm
(25) Nelly says:

I’d love a battery operated fountain. We have 2 cats who drink from bowls or from a tap and I know they’d love a fountain, but we have nowhere to plug one in so that it’d be convenient for them and we wouldn’t be tripping over it or trailing leads

February 23, 2010 at 4:57 pm
(26) Maribel says:

Came across these comments whilst looking for a battery operated fountain to put in the cattery when I leave my cat. Don’t any manufacturers look at these pages and think to themselves what a good idea it would seem not.

March 21, 2010 at 12:59 am
(27) Mary G says:

I have a Drinkwell fountain for my cat and she loves it. However, I am now concerned about using it because I learned that when the plastic breaks down or cracks, bacteria can grow and it can cause acne. I have done some research looking for a glass fountain – to no avail. There are two ceramic ones on the market, but I am worried that they may not be safe for use because they were manufactured in China and there is no way of knowing what other metals are at the core (lead?). A stainless steel model is coming out, but is stainless steel for a water fountain safe for pet use? I would love some advice. Perhaps I should be waiting for someone to produce a battery-operated glass one. Any advice about ceramic versus stainless steel would be appreciated. I simply want to provide my cat with a safe water fountain bowl that will help keep her hydrated.

March 25, 2011 at 12:10 pm
(28) Nancy says:

Mary,

I purchased a ceramic fountain last July from Drs. Foster and Smith catalogue. I wanted to replace my five year old Petmate white plastic one, because it was made of plastic. I was disappointed when I saw it was manufactured in China, but decided to give it a try. Well, by January there was an issue with the motor – it burned out. It really was too small, it was half the size of the plastic fountain motor. I called Drs. F&S and they were replaced it with another one in late January 2011. Within in three weeks that motor also burned out. So, I returned it Drs. F&S (at their expense – they sent return labels to me) and asked for a credit.

I completely disassemble and clean my fountain and its motor twice a week with soap and diluted clorox to counteract bacteria and mold growth. But, I’m always worried about using the clorox and don’t feel safe without it even though I rinse it profusely. I worry that the clorox will release harmful plastic chemicals.

Do you know anything about the safety of the plastic used in the fountains. I have had three Petmates over 10 years, but none have ever cracked or split.

Thanks for any information you or other readers can provide.

Nancy

March 22, 2010 at 7:56 am
(29) Jill says:

It’s hard to believe that the experts working for pet manufacturers haven’t caught on the the demand for a non-plastic battery operated fountain. My two cats would LOVE this, IF I could find it!

March 31, 2010 at 12:12 pm
(30) Keith Davitt says:

The cord should actually come out the bottom of the bowl so there is no worry about it falling in. As to the battery powered cat fountain, I can make you one. I make cat fountains and I have battery powered pumps.
KD

March 31, 2010 at 1:01 pm
(31) Franny Syufy says:

Keith, although ordinarily I’d treat your post as spam, IMO enough of my readers are interested in cordless cat fountains that I’ll let it stay in case anyone is interested. I’d appreciate it if you could post two assurances: That the glaze you use is lead-free, and that whatever ornaments embedded in the bottom of the bowls are not toxic to cats. Personally I think a small drawing of a goldfish might be a nice touch. :)

June 6, 2011 at 3:42 pm
(32) Donna Martin says:

Do you have a website for your cat fountains?

October 21, 2011 at 8:44 am
(33) David says:

What do you charge for a battery operated cat water fountain. Could you send pics? What kind of material do you use in your design?

October 27, 2011 at 9:24 pm
(34) Suzan says:

How much would you charge to make one with a battery powered motor ?

April 26, 2010 at 6:44 pm
(35) Mik says:

Add me to the list of wanting a non-plastic cordless water fountain for my cat.

May 6, 2010 at 11:04 am
(36) Michelle says:

Add me to the list for non-plastic, battery-operated fountains please. I am a catmom of eight. : )

May 20, 2010 at 2:02 am
(37) Chere says:

I too have been looking for a safe ( non-plastic and battery-powered ) drinking fountain for my kitty.

May 20, 2010 at 2:59 am
(38) Chere says:

I found a stainless steel fountain on the Cool Cat gagets website but its not battery operated as far as i can tell!!!

June 3, 2010 at 2:39 pm
(39) anne says:

found a water fountain called “sink drink”. you put it on your faucet, turn the water on.
search for sink drink and go to cat connect.com web site.
there will be a demontration.
also go to installation tips on bottom (it only fits 15/16″ aerators, if yours is a 13/16″ you will need a converter

July 9, 2010 at 11:47 am
(40) Mary says:

Hi,

There’s a battery operated fountain for cats listed in Hammacher Schlemmer.

Mary

July 9, 2010 at 12:17 pm
(41) Franny Syufy says:

Sorry, Mary. From the description on the link you provided:

“Easy to clean, the bowl and reservoir are dishwasher-safe, and the unit plugs into AC.”

This is just the standard Drinkwell. The cord was removed for photo purposes (a rather common practice in advertising). Another reason to always “read the fine print.”

July 28, 2010 at 5:02 pm
(42) Becky says:

Hi, add me to your list of non-plastic, battery operated fountain for outside large cat pen. been searching on the internet for ages, no luck yet.

August 6, 2010 at 2:36 pm
(43) Amanda says:

Me too! My cat not only splashes water EVERYWHERE, but loves to chew through cords. Cord + Water + Cat = horrible idea! And I want stainless steel also!

August 16, 2010 at 9:15 pm
(44) Robin L. says:

I am both amazed and frustrated that this product has not yet been made. With all of the worthless products that make it to the shelves, no one has attempted this one yet? What are they waiting for? I have been looking for this for years. Add me to the list!!!

August 28, 2010 at 10:09 am
(45) Becky says:

Thanks for the advice a search for “battery powered” and then serenity or tranquility fountain brought up a much better selection of options.

There were even some on ebay.

September 25, 2010 at 9:05 pm
(46) Jenny says:

I was amazed to see the number of people looking for battery operated fountains! I don’t have any convenient place to plug it except on the bathroom counter, and that’s not convenient either!

October 4, 2010 at 5:52 pm
(47) Jodi says:

Searching for a battery operated drinking fountain. I see I am not the only one! Mechanics isn’t my thing, but it looks like a worthwhile invention.

I have a drinkwell that I put away after about one week because it was messy and the electrical cord scares me. I have several small dogs and now a cat. I have yet to find anything suitable.

I looked at Keiths site (see above) and it looked to me like all of his fountains are plug-in style. Not sure I want to go through the bother of having one custom made without seeing the product in person. Oh, well. I will be back hoping for something someday…

October 10, 2010 at 11:42 am
(48) Eberhard says:

I’m a ceramic artist. So I made my cats a ceramic pet drinking fountain. They like it and my wife loves it too, because its not only easy to clean but a piece of art as well. And it holds a gallon of water, enough for our 2 big cats. My ceramic pet drinking fountains come with 3 pump options: a 110VAC pump with heavy duty outdoor 3 wire cable with ground, or a Submersible Pump with Mini Integral Transformer (if the cat chews at the cable there is just safe low voltage), or a 2 W Solar Submersible Pump with solar panel and battery pack. This solar pumps you can get at: http://www.amazon.com/Watts-Submersible-Fountain-NOZZLES-Battery/dp/B001BDE7GI for $35. I don’t recommend a battery driven pump without solar charger, because the battery life is about 12 hours. Just make sure the PV-panel is in a bright spot. This should produce enough power to circulate the water in the pet fountain. Some fountains out there on the market have pumps connected with clear plastic hoses. So exchange the pump yourself.

January 4, 2011 at 1:05 am
(49) Marie says:

I’m currently searching for a battery powered drinking fountain for my cats (I would love one but there are several reasons one with a cord just wouldn’t work out for me or my pets). Has anyone out there found one yet?

January 26, 2011 at 1:45 pm
(50) Robin L. says:

I finally broke down and bought an inexpensive regular battery operated fountain. I did some research and found that the material it was made from is the same that many cat dishes are made from. It took some time to get my cats to understand what to do, but they did and it is cute as anything to watch. It took one of them approx. 2 weeks and the other over a month, but now they both use it!

January 27, 2011 at 9:10 pm
(51) Franny Syufy says:

Robin, could you either email me with a link to the fountain you bought, or post the link here in a reply to my post? Thanks

June 29, 2011 at 1:48 pm
(52) Suzanne says:

Could you email me the link to the battery operated fountain you found? I don’t have any outlets in the area where the cat’s food and water bowl are. Thanks, Suzanne

February 24, 2011 at 11:04 am
(53) KatC says:

OK — there are enough of us here that you would think a manufacturer would’ve responded to this basic request for a battery operated water fountain! Anyone come up with a feasible alternative?

May 24, 2011 at 9:18 pm
(54) Denice says:

Still looking for a battery operated fountain. Last posting was Feb 24, 2011. Anyone have better luck than me?

June 25, 2011 at 11:00 pm
(55) Liz says:

Nope, no luck yet. I need one since my cats insist on having a water bowl in my small master bathroom. There is only one sink (so the automatic sink controls are out) and – GASP – only one electrical outlet (two spots for plugs), AND it’s not in a place where I can put the bowl (so I’d need an extension cord).

I really don’t want to have to unplug the fountain each morning when I get ready for work, and then plug it back in. Not to mention the worry of having an extension cord draped over the back of my sink….

Sigh. So much for the wonders of the internet, huh?

June 29, 2011 at 1:50 pm
(56) Suzanne says:

Has anyone had any luck with finding a battery operated cat water fountain yet? Thanks

November 1, 2011 at 2:42 pm
(57) Lucy's Mom says:

I have been searching for a battery operated water fountain (or at least the pump) since my little kitten loves to chew on electrical wires. My older cat didn’t like the sound of the motor of the Drinkwell, but did like our Bed Bath & Beyond zen garden water fountain that we had in our living room (go figure). I found a battery operated small pump website that maybe can be manufactured into a cat-size water fountain. Note, that the amount of time that the fountain runs on is probably the biggest reason why manufacturers don’t make them — 15 hours on 8 AAs. Solar powered would be nice if you have a near window. Other option would be auto shut on/off when kitty goes near it (like those automatic faucets). Oh the things we do for our little pets!

November 17, 2011 at 3:32 pm
(58) Sonia says:

Very amaze on how many of us are looking for a drinking fountain that runs on a battery sensor…..

December 11, 2011 at 12:52 pm
(59) mudpiesally says:

For Lucy’s Mom who loves to chew, I also have a kitty who loves to chew….hence the nickname “chewy.” I too searched for battery operated but in the meantime I bought a ton of cord covers (long and tubular they come in a couple of widths) from Radio Shack and anything plugged in has them. They’ve saved her from electrocution many times. Yes we do insane things to keep our babies safe. I also use it on my Glacier Point pet fountain which fills the bill for safe ceramic fountains made in the USA. They are ugly but oh so functional. My cats love it.

September 19, 2012 at 12:37 pm
(60) darraugh says:

We have had two Drinkwells from Foster and Smith for a number of years and we have no problem with them.. Buying a third one even though have one cat.. The fountains should have filters in it or use your filtered water in it.

Speaking of China we have a 6′ wood fence yard and brought a stroller for our cat which she loved and pushed her around in the house. But then noticed a big gap between the zipper and the frame where mosquitos, bees, wasps etc, could into the opening with her stuck in it and took it back. We wrote to the Chinese manufacturor and he said back he would do some thing about it. Did he? We won’t buy strollers with opening between the zipper and frame which even the expensive ones had the opening between the zipper and the frame. It is so stupid. Just as stupid is the fact they have fish cat food when fish causes urinalry tract problems. Neither one should be allowed

October 4, 2012 at 6:59 am
(61) Ken Klenotiz says:

We have just introduced a new type of pet fountain. Check it out at http://www.ForeverFreshWaterBowl.com.
Never needs cleaning, no standing water in the bowl to get dirty and runs on low voltage. Made in the USA of ABS plastic, but so far We have had no complaints of any skin problems from the plastic.

October 9, 2012 at 10:43 am
(62) SmittenKittenq says:

Hi guys,

Have just been reading your questions regarding a pet fountain that is battery operated, the only suggestions I have is that they now have fountain pumps that are solar generated so as long as the panel is somewhere in the sun then the fountain can be left outside and no need for cords or electricity. There seems to be a few cat fountains that just use a basic pump and looks the same as the solar ones from what I can see. I am going to try this in the next week or so as I have the same situation with not being able to use an electric cord near the cats, will let you all know how it goes.

October 22, 2012 at 8:46 pm
(63) frank says:

Well, I was looking for a battery powered cat dish and found your site. Apparently, a LOT of other people are looking also. I’ve tried the Drinkwell fountains(indoors) and they just don’t seem to last. I really need something hardy for outside feral cats to give them fresh water. Can’t use electrical and I’m changing water dishes several times a day during winter. Wish a pet company would read this post. There seem to be a lot of us who are looking for the same thing. Good luck everyone!

June 20, 2013 at 12:26 pm
(64) Sue says:

Wow! A small fountain on sale for $300 – yay? What about those of us that love our cats just as much but can’t spend that kind of money on a fountain.

June 20, 2013 at 9:20 pm
(65) Franny Syufy says:

Sue, I couldn’t afford it either. However, my readers come from a wide range of backgrounds and income brackets, an I can’t eliminate potentially useful products just because I couldn’t personally afford them. Hopefully, one day the fountain will come along that you and I can afford too.

July 16, 2013 at 11:59 pm
(66) Angela says:

Thank you very much, I be grateful for you making this article available, the rest of the
site is also done well. Have a great day. Thank you!

August 4, 2013 at 1:28 pm
(67) Deb says:

I too have been searching for battery operated fountains. Maybe this one? But I can’t seem to find on the website if it is battery or AC. Hagen 55600 Catit® Fresh and Clear Cat Drinking Fountain
Part of the Catit® Collection by Hagen.

August 6, 2013 at 4:51 pm
(68) Franny Syufy says:

Deb, I have had the Catit Fountain in the past and it was AC. I’ve not heard of ANY “traditional” manufacturers of
cat fountains to date that make battery operated ones.

August 12, 2013 at 2:07 pm
(69) Mo says:

For those people who are concerned about bacteria or algae in the fountain even though you clean it once or twice a week.
Cats drink out of the toilet, out of puddles on the ground, and eat raw mice and birds. Do you really think that their immune and digestive systems are that sensitive that a water bowl that you clean weekly is going the hurt them?
Unless they have a compromised immune system they most likely have plenty of healthy bacteria in their system to counteract the bacteria in their bowl.

August 14, 2013 at 11:07 am
(70) Japonte says:

What about the electrical wire leading to the pump. Does this leech chemicals into the water?

August 24, 2013 at 8:46 pm
(71) fred says:

been looking for a cordless fountain all day. no such thing exist. Anyone need a million dollar idea here you go. Make one and you will be rich!!!