1. Home

Franny Syufy

Which is the Best Pet: A Cat or a Dog?

By February 8, 2013

We Pets Guides have gotten together for some friendly rivalry, and are each featuring a special on our site about the comparative value of cats versus dogs as pets. My contribution is 10 Reasons Why Cats Are Better Than Dogs.

Image © iStock Photo / Liliya Kulianionak

Don't get me wrong; I like dogs - when I was growing up my family always had dogs. Although I had one or two cats, I wasn't really crazy about them until the boy I married introduced me to them. Today, if my living circumstances were different, I'd add a dog to our mix - maybe one like the cute little Pug featured here. But our four cats have never been around dogs and would never tolerate it. So all-in-all, since I have to choose, I absolutely think that cats make better pets than dogs. About that "pets" thing - most of us consider our cats as family members, rather than pets, so we're only using that word for brevity.

Cat Lovers, We're Outnumbered!

The competition is off and running as Amy Shojai, About.com's Puppies Guide, has contributed her fun piece, 10 Reasons Puppies Are Better than Cats. Jenna Stregowski, About.com Guide to Dogs, makes some pretty convincing argument for d*gs too: 10 Reasons Dogs Are Better Than Cats. Your supportive comments here on my blog are welcome - I'm sure you'll come up with many more reasons, and you're also welcome to comment on the Puppies blog, and/or the Dogs blog.

Vote in the Poll!

Here's your chance to support your favorite critter, cats or dogs. Vote in the poll and make your voice known!

Comments

February 8, 2013 at 1:58 pm
(1) Nuria Rodriguez says:

Cats all the way. Don’t get me wrong, I love my Yorkie. But dogs are just very high maintenance.

February 8, 2013 at 2:43 pm
(2) Yvonne Woodcock says:

I tend to agree with Nuria.I have a cat and a dog.The cat doesn’t need a walk around the block when it’s freezing cold,doesn’t need bathing,doesn’t need it’s poo clearing off the pavement,doesn’t stress out when left in the house for a couple of hours and doesn’t bark when somebody knocks on the door……..but I still love my dog!!

February 8, 2013 at 3:04 pm
(3) Pat says:

Cats! I don’t dislike dogs, I’ve had a few that were very dear to me, but cats are easier and softer and they PURR!

February 8, 2013 at 4:30 pm
(4) Dixie Allan says:

Cats are the best, hands down!

February 8, 2013 at 4:38 pm
(5) Jo says:

Cats don’t chew shoes or sniff your netherregions!

February 8, 2013 at 4:39 pm
(6) Linda Larsen says:

Definitely cats, although I love dogs too. Cats are easier to take care of and seem to have fewer health problems. I “dog sat” my sister’s dog; at the time we had 6 cats. The dog was far more work.

February 10, 2013 at 5:01 pm
(7) Carolyn says:

Cats are definitely better pets for me! I’m old and can’t walk much (and don’t like going out late at night in the cold and wet) so a pet that doesn’t have to be walked is better.. And she doesn’t bark. She purrs….. I just enjoy my cat so much. She is calming. But her name is Cleo and she is sure she is Queen of her house at the very least!

February 10, 2013 at 5:22 pm
(8) Becky says:

Cats, cats, cats….did I say cats?? Soft, furry, purring, clever, haughty, loveable, entertaining, great company….yes, cats rule my life and I’m grateful!!!

February 10, 2013 at 6:30 pm
(9) Shelley says:

Cats rule, dogs drool! Cats are cuddly, clean and dont stink like dogs. They are independent and not demanding (until they are hungry, that is), yet love to be near their people. They are super intelligent and don’t destroy things like dogs. They can live inside, and once used to that, even if they get out, they are likely to stay close to home until you bring them in. I have four cats, my husband has two dogs (german shepard mixes) who bark at all hours, and one of them can’t even be let out to roam in our fenced in yard because he leaps the fence and runs away, so you always have to keep him tied up, in which case he barks and barks and barks. My vote is that cats make the BEST pets!!

February 10, 2013 at 7:26 pm
(10) Sandy says:

It is cats, hands down. While I have had dogs all my life, I came to cats when I was in my fifties by adopting an adorable 6 yr old at the SPCA that gazed at me with her big blue eyes and won my heart. I was a learning experince for me! But, she taught me well and a year after her passing, I brought home another. This time a 7 mo. old Tuxedo boy that puts his arms around your neck and purrs in your ear. Who wouldn’t love that! Our pekinese is 8 and while I love her, there is no comparison to the amount of work a dog takes, not to mention the barking ugh! A cat comes to you for regular loving and a dog is just happy to lay by your feet. Again, cats give the “BEST” love!

February 10, 2013 at 8:01 pm
(11) Janice says:

I vote for the cats 100%. I have always had a cat as a pet and think they are great.

February 10, 2013 at 10:36 pm
(12) Carla says:

Let’s hear it for kitties. I grew up with a dog and lots and lots of cats on a farm in Oregon. I made clothes for my kitty, Peaches, and her mom, MomCat. Kitties are my soulmates and the comment about purring is so true; that warm rumble is so much more comforting than barking.
Carla

February 10, 2013 at 11:02 pm
(13) Rob says:

I don’t know that either dogs or cats are “better.” For most of my life, I’ve shared homes with dogs and birds. I didn’t become a Crazy Old Cat Guy until a couple of years ago, in my early 60s. Now we have a cat whom we love very much. The main point, I think, is that we all need to have friends who belong to the class of “people who don’t happen to be human.”

February 11, 2013 at 6:11 pm
(14) jay says:

CATS,CATS,CATS; i have had a dog or two, and I liked them fine, however I love my cats, and the bond between myself and the four cats in my home is much closer than with any dog. besides cats are much better friends than dogs are, they are also much smarter, a lot more fun to be around, and a whole lot cuter.

February 11, 2013 at 7:13 pm
(15) black14 says:

It depends on the person’s mentality. I am a cat person. Dogs basically annoy me whileIi have a terrific relationship with my cats. Cats are fascinating and much ‘ deeper’ than dogs.
however, most people are dog people. Dog people should not have cats.
They simply do not understand them and accordingly, cats do not fare as well with them. Cat people can have dogs- I lived in households with dogs for almost 10 years – and the dogs do fine there ( there is much less to understand here) but true cat people usually do not care about dogs.

February 12, 2013 at 10:57 am
(16) clmr33 says:

Cats are definitely better and require less work and attention but appreciate all that you do for them.

February 12, 2013 at 4:21 pm
(17) Alison Finch says:

I like both and have had both but while I can be without a dog in the house I can never be without a cat, I just love them.

February 13, 2013 at 4:28 pm
(18) Debbie says:

Cats are definitely the pet for me. I’ve owned dogs my whole life. But, now that I am retirement age, cats have found a special place in my heart. I’m now owned by 3 wonderful kitties! I would never go back to dogs. They bring me so much comfort and none of the stress of owning a dog.

March 8, 2013 at 1:56 pm
(19) Michael Rice says:

We have a Ragdoll little girl named Molly who is a princess to us and regal in her demeanor. She follows us wherever we go talking in her sweet voice. We are a Cat Mommy and Daddy and would have it no other way. Thank You – Mike and Carol Rice

March 26, 2013 at 7:52 pm
(20) Kent says:

Bliss

Softly she glides
across satin sheets
till her silky soft hair
rests upon my arm

My gaze is matched
By jade green eyes
Transfixed as are my own

Her moist soft tongue
Glides across my skin
Her beautiful slight body
Stretches next to mine
So fingers can gently stroke

Each makes a silent vow
To always love the other

And so we rest
Until we slumber
My kitty kat and me.

April 5, 2013 at 4:22 pm
(21) Catlover says:

Cats for sure. Just something about dogs that scare me. Kittens are just adorable and thier purring is just the best.

April 5, 2013 at 4:26 pm
(22) Catlover says:

Did i also mention some dont like having cat because they cant do tricks? But they can, im teaching my 2 to play dead (im quite young). They are my first pets (got them last year, birthdays 6days ago) and i love them dearly.

May 6, 2013 at 7:46 am
(23) Bubbles says:

I have a new kitten – a cute ragdoll cross called Angel. She’s a sweetheart. I am so happy. I like dogs but loooove cats. And this cat is friendly like a puppy – she looks at me directly and loves snuggling and purring – and she’s soft, warm and cuddly and even at eight weeks, independent. Ouch. She just abseiled up my leg.
Earlier I was upset over something and Angel licked my tears, while ‘ talking’ to me, then settled down purring on my chest, looking back now and again as if to see if I was still crying. How could I keep crying? What a gift.
I think if dog lovers allowed a cat to sit and purr on them, they’d convert.

June 6, 2013 at 9:33 pm
(24) Sarah says:

Dogs are better they can take loving anytime day or night.when cats get loving sometimes they might scratch you. Dogs are too sweet and never scratch there owners when there loving them. Dogs are just way better then cats in my opinion. Dogs also try to protect the house. When the cats see somebody they just run away somewhere and does not protect anyone.dogs are always gonna be better then cats.

July 22, 2013 at 4:48 pm
(25) Melissa says:

I agree with the reasonings that cats make better pets. I have lived with cats and dogs all my life. I currently have three cats(one a foster) and one dog. Through my experience dogs tend to have more behavioral issues, costs more, and have accidents(even when taken out every 2-3 hours and is crate trained) I find all my cats to be more clean, less messy, more loving, and less noisy. Plus my cats kill bugs etc. my dog just sits and watches. My dog yeah sure protects the house, but no matter what training…just wont stop barking even at the owners of the house.

September 21, 2013 at 1:00 am
(26) Nadia says:

Mysterious, interesting, gorgeous, quirky, good hunters to name but a few things I love about cats =) And when they love you, it’s more of a treat than when a dog does it! Don’t hyper dogs run and jump on anyone new, looking for a friend? When a cat chooses you and sits on your lap purring and is saying “hello” it’s so much nicer! I LOVE cats! I think dogs are annoying and many dog people just don’t understand cats.

February 15, 2014 at 11:42 am
(27) izabela the cool says:

Cats are better if you touch a cat its like heaven but if you touch a dog its like a used hard toothbrush