1. Home

Franny Syufy

Poll: How Often Do You Hug Your Cat?

By February 26, 2013

I once saw a web site with a list of all the pet-related holidays throughout the year. I was happy to see "Hug Your Cat Day" on the list. . .then again. . .and again. . .and again. I did a Google search and found at least six different dates listed in one place or another as Hug Your Cat Day.

photo of woman hugging orange cat In my opinion, all cats deserve to be hugged as often as they'll tolerate, on a daily basis. In fact, my weekly newletter often concludes with a reminder to "hug a furry friend or two." Thinking further on the topic, I wonder what my readers and your cats think about mutual hugs. I include your cats because some cats don't particularly like to be hugged. I have one of those, and you may have one too. Just for fun, please indulge me and vote in the poll. If you don't see a fitting answer, mention it in the comments. Heck, post a comment anyway. This is your site as much as it is mine.
Photo Credit: © iStockPhoto/Oleg Prikhodko

Comments

January 22, 2011 at 7:40 pm
(1) Eleanor says:

Several times a day. I have two young cats and they are both cuddle addicts. I’m cuddling one now in fact so this is all being typed one-handed!

January 22, 2011 at 9:18 pm
(2) Franny Syufy says:

Lucky you, Eleanor!

January 22, 2011 at 7:59 pm
(3) Linnea says:

I try to hug all 3 of mine at least once per day. I usually get the very stiff legs against my chest and the head pulled and turned as far as possible in case it might come in contact with me. The do love to be petted though!

January 22, 2011 at 9:17 pm
(4) Franny Syufy says:

That’s pretty much the same reaction I get from my Jenny, Linnea. Cats have a wonderful way of putting us in our places, don’t they?.

January 23, 2011 at 12:55 am
(5) Kris says:

No hugs for this mom… when they feel like it they will cuddle and kneed the crud out of my neck/leg/stomach.

January 23, 2011 at 4:47 am
(6) Mel says:

I have 12 cats, so that is a LOT of cuddles! Some are more cuddly than others, but they all get stroked, kissed and cuddled at least once a day. Sometimes though, I wish I had a couple of extra pairs of arms because they do get a bit competetive when it comes to getting your attention.

January 23, 2011 at 7:47 am
(7) PFM says:

I hug my kitty Grover so much I lose count! He gets hugs and kisses all day! In fact he is in my lap now and I’m trying to type around him.

January 23, 2011 at 9:17 am
(8) Linda Gavitt says:

I have 3 cats and all of them seem to like them. I assume that they like them because they purr and don’t squirm. My 2 boys seem to wait for the hugs and sometimes won’t drink from the faucet until I hug them first. My female, Chloe is resistent to being picked up, but when I get her in my arms she purrs and allows a brief very gentle hug. At night she sleeps on my stomach or against my leg or side. She seems to need to be close even in the warm summer nights. She was a stray who lived outside for about a year before she became my little girl.

January 23, 2011 at 10:36 am
(9) maggiesom60 says:

We stroke and hug our cats several times a day. They are so socialized and bonded in routine with us that travel is currently out of the question. Perhaps one day we’ll all go on an adventure together.

January 23, 2011 at 1:17 pm
(10) Angie says:

I find my cats don’t mind being hugged, it’s the kisses that turn them off! My Logan almost hugs me back.. he loves to knead by putting one paw on either side of my neck.

January 23, 2011 at 1:50 pm
(11) Marta says:

Even though my cat is a lovebug, she doesn’t like to be hugged. Still, that doesn’t stop me from hugging her several times a day and squeeze her and kiss her and all that :D .

January 23, 2011 at 3:45 pm
(12) sandra muir says:

I have two long hair Tabbies..one seems to have some Maine Coon in her..so cuddles come whenever needed.lol..by me but at least once a day..with kisses..anyone else kissing their cats.lol..!

January 23, 2011 at 9:59 pm
(13) Cecilia says:

Kisses? yes! Hugging? No way! Cali will not stand for being ‘confined’ in any way. Hugging or even just being held is intolerable to her. But she readily accepts ooddles of head petting and scratching with daily kisses. Oh and she adores being brushed anytime.

January 26, 2011 at 1:00 pm
(14) Sue says:

I could only mark one answer, so I marked “at least once a day.” Out of our nine cats, Audrey, Sebastian, Katie and Taylor will accept hugs almost anytime (in fact, Audrey and Taylor are usually wrapping their tails and/or front paws around my arms or neck to give hugs themselves); Abby and Sophie accept hugs when they feel like it (Abby will sometimes do what we call “kitten hugs,” where she puts her front paws on my shoulder while I am holding her and does sort of a backbend around the side of my head); Sammy prefers pets to hugs and does not usually lap sit or tolerate being picked up; and Autumn and Emma are still in the “finger sniffs” stage (they are the most feral – Emma only came to us a couple of months ago and Autumn lost some of her socialization in foster care, so we are still working with them on confidence and social skills with humans). Each of our cats will “hug,” rub on or groom at least some of the others. Anyway, we do lots of hugging both because it makes us feel good and to keep our cats happy with physical contact with humans.

January 27, 2011 at 1:52 pm
(15) chicoanddude says:

Both of our boys let me pick them up and carry them around while being hugged for a few minutes then, that’s enough! They both love to be petted though and one absolutely loves to be brushed while the other only tolerates it a little.

January 27, 2011 at 2:04 pm
(16) Ramona says:

My female chocolate point Siamese named Diamond Labelle is hugged by me her mom at least twice a day. I cuddle with her for five minutes in the morning while I am having my coffee and at least five minutes before I retire to bed. She loves for me to hug her and tell her I love her. When I tell her that I love her she looks up at me with her beautiful blue eyes and it appears she is saying I love you too. Now with my husband he hugs and cuddles with her all day long. When he leaves the house and she thinks he has been gone too long and returns he has to immediately pick her up and hug and cuddle with her or she will follow him around howling and crying.

January 27, 2011 at 2:05 pm
(17) Nuria says:

I hug them daily, whether they like it or not. lol I’ve got only one that really just doesn’t mind. I can pick Vlad up, hug him and he’ll just stay there, all limp and let me hug him. Czarina, tolerates it a little too. She’ll let me hug her for a few seconds then wants no more of it. But, Oksana, Maks, Kiska will pretty much just get a little stiff and meow in protest or try to push me away.

January 27, 2011 at 2:23 pm
(18) Deborah says:

I have four cats (Oliver & Abigail are siblings and Mingo & Fanty are siblings). And at least once a day, usually several times, they come to me for affection which includes scritches, kisses and, yes, hugs. I don’t like to force hugs because I usually end up bleeding. But they do get pets and scritches any time I pass by one of them.

January 27, 2011 at 2:38 pm
(19) Qaytbey says:

Mine like a sort of HALF cuddle – back paws on the ground, lift top half and squeeze gently, until politely requested to stop :-) Sometimes a tummy rub is included…..

January 27, 2011 at 2:51 pm
(20) Leigh says:

I have four cats, and each one likes something different. Muffie loves to bury his head in my chest and be kissed and scratched all over; Biscuit loves to be surrounded by my arms, kissed lovingly, look dreamily into my eyes, rub noses, head butt, etc. When I’m at the computer, he comes up behind me and kisses me. Cinder loves to be held in my arms. She’s like rubber – you can pull her legs any which way, hold her rightside up or upside down. She likes best to wrap her arms around my neck and kiss me. Little Désirée is the only one who doesn’t like to be cuddled, but she loves to be brushed, petted, and kissed. She’s also very sweet and thoughtful. I slid on the ice earlier this week and hurt my foot. Little Désirée waited for me in the bathroom so I wouldn’t have to chase her to give her her vitamins. What a little sweetie! She also talks to me with her eyes and follows me around the house. She’s actually everybody’s sweetheart as she does like to cuddle with my other cats.

January 27, 2011 at 2:52 pm
(21) Claudette says:

I hug my 16&1/2 yr old Basil as often as he will allow. Sometimes many times a day, other days, just a couple. He always sleeps on my bed, and is a great alarm clock at 6am when i’d really rather sleep. I hope to have for a long time yet.

January 27, 2011 at 2:52 pm
(22) Alisa says:

I have 3 cats. The oldest Bacchus, he will be 12 in July, let’s me hug him for a bit but, doesn’t like to be picked up really but, is a total cuddle-y kitty. Then the new set Elwin, he will be 2 in July does not like to be picked up or held however, he will “hug” me and use me as a “kitty” couch as often as possible. The youngest Varro, his first birthday is in April is a cuddle monster and loves being held.

January 27, 2011 at 2:53 pm
(23) Annetjie van der Walt says:

I hug my cat the WHOLE day, sometimes he loves it and sometimes he hates it and bites me….never the less I love him to bits!!!!!!

January 27, 2011 at 2:57 pm
(24) Mike says:

Interesting! I hope that everyone had a great weekend,is having a great week and I hope that they have another great weekend! That goes for last week!

January 27, 2011 at 4:01 pm
(25) ritaalexander says:

We have 14 children, 3 girls and 11 boys. That’s alot of love and litter boxes in our home. All of our guys and gals get alot of love and hugs. For a few it took alot of patience, but the time invested paid off big time. We share alot of love time thay is rewarding both ways. Certain times are devoted to different cats, tv lap time, on the throne lap sits, litter box cleaning buddy, and just plain old head butts, pick me up mom, I need some love right now, or I’ll sit on what you’re doing to get your attention to get a tummy massage. They all get alot of love and so do we. Couldn’t part with anyone for any amount of money.

January 27, 2011 at 10:15 pm
(26) Bobbie says:

I hug my cat at least 30 or so times a day. That is my male cat. He has definately chosen me as his pet. My female cat, I try to hug her at least twice a day, however, this is a more difficult task as she isnt a “want to be hugged cat”. I love both dearly though.

January 28, 2011 at 6:19 am
(27) katmo says:

You didn’t include a choice: “whenever it seems my cat wants a hug”! Thank you for promoting “cat love”.

January 28, 2011 at 6:08 pm
(28) Jules&Buzz says:

I love to hug my cat Buzz. He tolerates it but doesn’t like to be kissed. I pick him up and turn him upside down and he puts his paw on my lips everytime as if to say no kissing!

January 29, 2011 at 7:24 am
(29) Amadeus' Mom says:

Amadeus thinks he is the epitome of dignity. Dare I pick him up and plant a hug, there will be howls, growls, scratches…..now he likes life on his terms..when he wants to be patted, he will come and nuzzle and sleep on my tummy / head / legs and then dare I remvoe him or not pat him….when he wants a cuddle he plops down with his tummy in the air..and then dare I not give a tummy rub….you get the gist…he is the boss….

January 29, 2011 at 3:23 pm
(30) Vicki says:

I love to pick both of them up, but Grayson merely tolerates it then wants to be put down. Shadow is like a rag doll and literally collapses over my shoulder.

January 29, 2011 at 8:55 pm
(31) Ann McDaniel says:

LOL, with our cat Arwen, there is no choice!! She launches herself up into our arms to be held like a baby against our chest, with her head on our shoulder!! And when we are sitting she is curled up in one of our laps. She is just a bit spoiled, but we wouldn’t have it any other way!

January 30, 2011 at 12:18 am
(32) Pam says:

Our 15-yr-old male Casper does not really like hugs, but he will tolerate it once in a while. Sometimes I pick him up to pet & hug him, and he doesn’t object right away because he likes looking around from the higher perch…but after a minute or so, he squirms to get down. He doesn’t scratch or bite. He doesn’t mind kisses on his head, but he doesn’t give kisses. He likes petting sometimes, when HE is in the mood…then he gets all purry & happy. But tummy rubs are out of the question…he rolls on his side and puts his back feet on your hand as a warning; he’ll deliver kicks if you try to continue!

February 5, 2011 at 3:48 pm
(33) Sarah says:

My 15 month old male cat “Binky” maybe a “Terror” (which is his middle name) but he loves it when I hug and kiss him like a baby. How cute he looks when I rub his belly.

March 21, 2011 at 2:52 pm
(34) Sue says:

Not long after this article posted, Taylor developed a coincidental new habit. When I go into the bathroom to brush my teeth before bed, Taylor runs in and hops up on the counter. He sits down directly in front of me, and when I look down at him and say hello, he stands up on his hind legs, puts his front paws around my neck, and head-butts my right cheek, then my left. He will stay in that position as long as I will pet and cuddle him, then he either stays on the counter and tries to play with the little basket my lotions are in (this, by the way, is the same basket in which he traveled to our wedding when he was a baby – he can’t fit more than his head and one paw in it now), or he hops down and goes about his business.

March 21, 2011 at 3:37 pm
(35) Franny Syufy says:

What a smart, sweet kitty your Taylor is, Sue! And he came to your wedding in a basket! Wonderful. :-D

March 21, 2011 at 5:08 pm
(36) Sue says:

Fortunately, the wedding was outside at my parents’ house, so we didn’t have to worry about breaking any rules when we brought him. More than one person suggested that I carry him down the “aisle” instead of a bouquet, but Mike’s family ended up taking turns holding his basket throughout the ceremony and I even fed him at the head table during the reception, after which we allowed my younger cousins to pet his head with one finger so they wouldn’t be too rough. It was in the 70s out, so he was wrapped in a hand towel and snuggled in the basket on top of a surgical glove filled with warm water (we reheated it every half hour in my mom’s microwave so he didn’t catch a chill). He’s even in the video!

March 21, 2011 at 5:30 pm
(37) Franny Syufy says:

What a great tip for keeping kittens warm! It’s easy to tell that Taylor is a much-loved cat.

March 22, 2011 at 3:24 pm
(38) Sue says:

That was a suggestion from one of our vets – he said Taylor was too sick to regulate his own body temperature and either had to have the glove under him or be in close physical contact with a person, “inside your shirt if necessary” (which was where he slept at night for about a week). Since our cat sitter was in the wedding, Taylor came along as well. All the attention seemed to agree with him; at his vet visit the day after the ceremony, the vet said he couldn’t believe it was the same cat when Taylor, who two days earlier could barely move, climbed out of his basket and started toddling around the table.

May 2, 2011 at 1:50 am
(39) N says:

Hi
We hug and kiss the top of the head of our cat all the time. He actually comes asking for love and cuddles. He is the most amazing cat I’ve ever known, loving, gentle and has never once biten, scratched, hissed or growled at us. One can do anything to this cat and he just comes back for more!

If we’re in the garden he will rush out to join us. Whenever we pick him up, he will enjoy sitting up there for as long as we can carry the plump boy!

I think we have the most chilled out cat ever!

January 15, 2013 at 4:21 am
(40) Mesala Reeves says:

Our cat, Charlie D. enjoys going outside as much as he can. Each time we let him out my husband and I always make sure to give him a hug before he goes out. I always say the most motherly thing to him when I open the door to let him out, “Please, stay out of the street.”

February 28, 2013 at 1:42 pm
(41) Cinda says:

Ami and Bene love to be hugged. Bella sometimes will put her arms around my neck but she is just as apt to bite as hug! Pace will let me hug him if he chooses to be on my lap otherwise he runs away. They all have unique personalities.

February 28, 2013 at 1:52 pm
(42) Terry says:

Iam 65 my guy is two years old,his name is Jesse, my outlaw kitty,hes a great guy i hug him as much as he’ll let me….

February 28, 2013 at 2:05 pm
(43) Carol says:

My Tuxedo Whiskers is almost five years old and I have had him for four years. He was rescued from a contry home on a cold, snowy New Year’s Eve in Minnesota. The ones who rescued him nad three cats already, but they couldn’t leave him up in the pine tree where he was crying. He doesn’t like to be picked up, except when he begs to be. He is not really a lap kitty, but does usually sleep with me at least part of the night. He does love to get loved and petted when I am at the computer. He puts my arm to sleep and I cannot type while he is there, but I really don’t mind.

February 28, 2013 at 3:06 pm
(44) Silvi says:

I’d love to hug my Trésor, but he does not like it so much.
So, I show my love for him in other different ways.
He sleeps on my bed.
My Camelot, who died on 2009, he loved to be hugged. But he did not like to sleep on my bed. He prefered to sleep alone.
Cats are lovely and special creatures!!!

February 28, 2013 at 3:24 pm
(45) Dorothy says:

My Max will not sit on my lap but loves to cuddle when I take a
Nap. He pushes his head under my arm and falls asleep against my side.
He will meet me at the top of the stairs and let me kiss him but is just not a lap sitter as were my former kitties.
I love Max and cannot imagine life without him. He will be 4 years old in May.x

February 28, 2013 at 3:37 pm
(46) Colleen says:

Shiloh likes sleeping with me. When I go to bed, we do the head to head rubbing thing. She likes that much more than hugging but I’ll do it anyway for myself. She’s been with me though three deaths in my home, my stepson, mother and hubby. Don’t know what I’d done without her.

February 28, 2013 at 4:13 pm
(47) Michelle says:

I have two kitties. One doesn’t like it so much, but she gets them anyway. She does love to snuggle on my lap. Her brother LOVES hugs and actually demands them from me. My cup runneth over…LOL!

March 1, 2013 at 9:21 am
(48) Meg says:

I have two wonderful female cats Chloe and Zoey. I will pick them up at least once a day and not only hug them but rub my face against them sort of like they do us. That way I feel like I’m giving them affection in Cat Lingo Lol. We switched to cats after our dogs passed away and even though I love dogs I would NEVER go back. Cats are the most awesome animals ever IMO. I don’t know what I would do without them and they were both rescue kittens.

March 1, 2013 at 9:48 am
(49) oneandahalfcats says:

Max and Maggie (and our newest member Thomas), all get hugs and kisses daily. Thomas, our little tuxedo cat, is the most affectionate of the three and will literally come to where I am sitting or when lying down and will head butt me a few times and then literally try and bury his face in mine. He loves affection.

Max on the other hand has been an independent guy from day one. Although he will tolerate and likes petting and kisses, he doesn’t like being picked up and hugged but I do this now and then anyway. He’s such a cowboy. Although he has his own way of hugging me which takes the form of wrapping and rubbing his body around and against my legs.

Maggie will come to where I am sitting, and especially if I am lying down, will lie down on my chest and so close that there is literally no daylight between us. She will then proceed to sniff my face and occasionally will start kneeding me. We call this making mashed potatoes. So cute.

March 1, 2013 at 11:43 am
(50) Elliecat says:

I hug my cats at least once a day and sometimes they ask for a hug by stretching up and patting me on the leg…probably because the hug is accompanied by head scritches and pets.

March 4, 2013 at 12:37 pm
(51) Karen says:

I have 2 female cats. Aubrey, my CH Torti kitty is a snuggler. She loves to be close to me all the time. Too much attention is never enough for Aubrey.
Then there’s my all black kitty Francesca…life is definitely on her terms. I rescued her from outside when she was not even 6 weeks old.
Sometimes she likes to be held for a little while but most of the time she only wants you to brush or pet her while she’s on her perch or wherever she pleases to be. And you can not have eye contact with her while holding/hugging her. That’s a big no, no for her. She has to be over my shoulder like a baby while I pat her bottom and hold her firmly…she likes the security.
She’ll make biscuits on my shoulder and purr and not fight to get away.
That’s the only way I know she’s okay with the contact.
She gets hugs and kisses daily…she tolerates it. Maybe she even likes it but doesn’t want to give me the satisfaction.

March 7, 2013 at 10:48 am
(52) Debbie says:

We have 5 cats and they are all lovebugs!! 4 of them will actually crawl up on my shoulder for hugs and kisses.
But, my tabby (Skitter) likes hugs on the couch or on the floor. I lay down beside her and hug and kiss her.
My black & white tuxedo (Tux) will get on my shoulder for his hugs and gets so relaxed, he goes to sleep!
My gray & white tuxedo (Tippy Toes) gets her hugs and then settles on my lap to go to sleep!
(Tux & Tippy are littermates and were rescued from a friend’s barn)
Onyx & Ebony (more rescues) like to curl up in my arm like a baby and go to sleep. As you can guess, I don’t get much done (except give lovin’s to 5 spoiled brats – LOL).