1. Home

Franny Syufy

Facts About Tuxedo Cats

By May 2, 2013

Did you know that tuxedo cats are 200% smarter than other cats? That the first cat in the new world was a Tuxedo cat named Asgerd aboard a Viking ship, or that the largest inheritance given a cat was to a tuxedo? Learn more amazing bits of fact and/or fiction about tuxedo cats, as researched and verified by Dr. Magrathea Wallace (A stunning Tuxie in her own right.)

photo of tuxedo cat MaggieI was amazed and mystified to read some of these facts, although friends owned by tuxedos may agree with many of them. Thanks to Dr. Wallace and her personal assistant, Randy Wallace, for taking the time to assemble and submit these facts.

The truth will become clear, as you read further. One fact, which is indisputable, is that tuxedo cats are stunning, with their white bibs and spats against their sleek black coats and tails. The combination, of course, is how the term "tuxedo" was first coined.

You may submit photos of your own tuxedo cat or any black and white cat by using this form. Pictured here is Maggie, one of the tuxies in the 2008 Tuxedo Cats Picture Gallery. If you enjoyed the linked article, please add your comments to those already accumulated.
Photo Credit: © Randy Wallace

More About Tuxedo Cats:

Comments

May 13, 2008 at 7:39 am
(1) E says:

BWAAHAHAHAHAHAHA

May 13, 2008 at 8:11 am
(2) Alexandria says:

Are plastic water and food bowls safe if they contain BPA? Human water bottles made by Nalgen have been taken off shelves because they pose serious health problems in lab animals.

May 13, 2008 at 4:33 pm
(3) Sue says:

Drive cars? I thought Toonces was a tabby …

May 13, 2008 at 5:53 pm
(4) Angelle says:

So if Chuck Norris and a Tuxedo Cat got in a fight, who would win?

August 10, 2011 at 3:09 pm
(5) Dvorak says:

It depends, was the cat trained by CHuck Norris and did the cat get him in his sleep? Wait CHuck Norris doesn’t sleep, he just waits, lol!

May 13, 2008 at 8:27 pm
(6) Jane says:

I nominate Dr. Magrathea Wallace for a Nobel Prize. This is excellent research, and I agree with every word!

May 13, 2008 at 10:09 pm
(7) Randy says:

Maggie asked me to thank you all for the kind comments. And in reply,

Toonces was a TC in tabby makeup.

Chuck Norris wouldn’t stand a chance.

RW

May 14, 2008 at 8:21 am
(8) Mr T. says:

I think Chuck Norris would do OK. I think Mr. T and a Tuxedo would be a killer fight. :-)

November 14, 2008 at 4:44 pm
(9) catlover101 says:

I had a male tuxedo cat and he was so good. I called his name and he would come like a dog they are awsome cats!

December 26, 2008 at 6:24 pm
(10) rev barky says:

This is very droll and I see that your tongue is in your cheek on this one, but there are folks that will take these seriously and start spreading stupid rumors about tuxes. I guess I would rather you write about the Wallaces’ humor than relay the joke once more. Facetiousness only works once – after that it turns into urban legend. Next thing you know I’ll be telling my sister for the umpteenth time to check out Snopes.com to see if TCs really are 200% smarter than other cats – but not until she has e-mailed dozens of her friends that it’s true.

August 2, 2011 at 11:19 pm
(11) gerf says:

Actually there IS research to back it up you arrogant, weird turd.

January 13, 2009 at 12:50 am
(12) Kathy says:

I’m sorry, but the term “tuxedo” is only a color pattern — it isn’t a breed and therefore you cannot ascribe intelligence or other marvelous qualities to it. Even though I own a tuxedo-patterned cat and wish I could declare his superiority too, LOL! Now, Siamese… THERE is an intelligent breed — but you have to accept the craziness too! Had one for 15 years, and after he crossed the bridge, we decide to go with a “normal” cat, hence the Tux! They all pretty much are what you raise them to be…

January 13, 2009 at 7:26 pm
(13) Deana says:

Harlequin loves what you had to say about her. She believes that you are the smartest person on the planet. She is rubbing the computer in delight.

March 16, 2009 at 4:08 pm
(14) melissa says:

I have had three tuxedo cats and several calico and tabby cats. I have owned persian and Siamese and to be honest my very last Tuxedo cat has to be the smartest cat I have EVER had thepleasure of loving and caring for.

March 30, 2009 at 11:48 am
(15) George! says:

Why aren’t thre any pictures?

March 30, 2009 at 11:51 am
(16) Luis says:

Heyyyyyy I

May 5, 2009 at 12:41 pm
(17) fbooch says:

I also have a tuxedo. I started playing with her from day one. I used a sponge ball that I would toss across the room. She would chase the ball down and pick it up in her mouth and run the ball back to me, dropping the ball a few feet away from me while still in full flight, the ball would roll right to me. She would do this several times with me until she got tired. Occasionally when I come home from work, or when I get up in the morning, she will leave a ball on my bed. To this day, when I mention the word ball she will stop doing whatever she is doing and look in my direction.

May 28, 2009 at 1:49 pm
(18) Heather says:

My cat Simon was a beautiful tuxedo…I had the pleasure of raising him since kittenhood at 8 weeks to almost 14 years.

He was a very smart cat and I loved him very much. He crossed over the Rainbow Bridge after a brief illness…I miss him so much.

June 20, 2009 at 2:12 am
(19) Charissa says:

cool facts I wanted to learn more about Tuxedo cats. I have one and your facts were very helpful

June 20, 2009 at 4:36 am
(20) Marie says:

I have had many cats over the years. I’ve had my Tuxedo cat now for 8 years and she is smart as a whip. She understands everything..I say ‘let’s get brushed’ and she goes right in the bathroom; I say ‘let’s eat’ and she walks in the kitchen; I say, ‘time for bed’ she walks right in the bedroom. She understands as much as my dog I use to have….Her name is Booboo, and she is beautiful.

September 4, 2011 at 11:27 am
(21) Ed says:

Thats Hilarious!! I had a male Tux called Bobo. Little bastard ran away when we let him out to eat soem grass, never saw him again. Had him 3 years from tiny kitten. He would also play fetch with womens hair ties. Nothing else, but hair ties. You showed him a hair tie, and he would start yipping and jumping with excitement. He also ate with his hand. Scooped the food up and into his mouth, i have video proof! God I loved him. Why did he have to leave us. I think someone in the neighborhood took him him. He was chipped.

June 21, 2009 at 11:48 pm
(22) Richard says:

We rescued two tuxedo cats from abandonment. One, Nigel, was frightenigly intelligent. I think he was capable of sly untruths to get his way. He would also clearly laugh at the embarrassment or misadventures of the household’s other cats, suggestive of shcadenfreude. He would train the other cats. He would train the neighbors’ dogs. He would train the humans in his life. He taught himself to stand astride the toilet. He had friendly relations with cats and people all over the neighborhood. He had better name and face recognition in town, and I am the Mayor (He was much better looking.) Alas, he got into some Chinese Communist origin cat food tainted with melamine at the next door neighbor’s house. Nigel and the neighbor cat both had to be put down after a long bout with IVs and hospitalization. He would be insulted to think I once thought he would come back as a Siamese cat or a human. We miss him so.

July 25, 2009 at 11:12 pm
(23) GrnEyedAngel says:

I also have a male tuxedo, adopted from the Orange Cty, Fl Animal Shelter. I wish this allowed me to give you a picture of him – he is the prototypical tuxedo – white paws, white underside and white chin – rest all black w/a 14″ tail.

Napoleon left me no choice but to adopt him – from the moment I walked in the shelter’s cat room he started yelling (if u have a tuxedo u will understand that there is no other way to describe it) and grabbing out of his cage. The woman running the cat room came over startled and said he never did that b4 – not sure if true, but knew that he’d picked me to be his momma. :)

I’ve had many cats in my life – his current companion is a calico – but he is, BY FAR, the one most like a dog. As his vet says: “He has SO much personality, but does everything that u tell him.” He trained easily and yet, at 13 pounds now – all muscle, still loves to snuggle when time for bed.

He is VERY vocal – each has a different meaning – and expects his person to understand exactly what he’s saying. And there is no question that when I come home, he lets all my neighbors know with his “MWWWWARHHH MWWWWARHH”….

He is my first tuxedo, but there is no question in my mind that they are truly a different sort of cat…..very, very intelligent, but incredibly sociable. :)

August 1, 2009 at 7:57 am
(24) sabrina says:

i have a tuxedo cat she is a natural hunter

August 27, 2009 at 12:44 am
(25) Tim and Jim says:

I had a Tuxedo cat and he recently went to the rainbow bridge. He was 30 years old when he passed. He was old but left when he choose and would not sleep in his bed until I moved it into my bedroom for the last three months. When he was younger he slept with me but as he matured, he prefered his heated bed to my thrashing about. As far as inteligence, he was one smart cookie. He had a miriad of vocalazations and carried on extensive conversations with me but not my partner, who was jealous of this but still loved him very much. I adopted him from the SPCA on Oahu, HI but he came up to me. I did not choose him, rather he chose me which makes the whole thing that much more interesting. It broke my heart when he left and I miss him dearly. I just wanted to some people who would understand. In Remembrance of Leonard Alexander De’peau. We miss you Lenny.

August 30, 2009 at 5:26 pm
(26) dave hurd says:

I adopted a Tuxedo from a friend… His name is Willy
and he was 10 when i got him around 3 years ago…he still acts like a kitten in many ways..He is VERY smart. He is very vocal as well. When it is hot outside, he loves me to pour cool water on him and rub it in to his fur! Most cats would hate this!

September 8, 2009 at 5:10 pm
(27) Millie says:

I adopted “Polly” (for polydactyl), from Second Chance Pet Companions. She is my sixth “tuxedo.” I have found that tuxedos and all black cats seem to have a higher intelligence than others I have had.

When Shari, from SCPC brought her to the house for “Introductions,” I took them on a “tour” of the house, pointing out where the litter boxes were located (2–1 upstairs and 1 down), where the feeding station, bed, and other critical places were located. Katie–her original given name, followed with much interest. After the tour, we were sitting in the living room discussing her history, behavior, etc. I had never tried to pick her up during all of this. Shari told me that she was not a “lap cat,” but would get up on the sofa a lay beside you, but don’t expect her to get too close. As if by cue, Poly came running over to me, jumped up in my lap–purring as loud as she could–and put her feet up on my shoulders and started kissing me all over the face. She had decided that this was her home and I was her human, so forget what Shari was saying!

Needless to say, Shari was quite taken aback. All she could say was, “I guess there’ll be no trouble with this adoption!”

Polly has slept on my bed every night since I got her, using the other pillow as her pillow. When I open my eyes in the morning, she is there waiting for me to wake up, and comes over and kisses me a “good morning.” Any time I go out, she is sitting my the door waitiing for my return.

October 13, 2009 at 4:04 pm
(28) Taveo says:

My tuxedo cat is not only handsome, he’s also very smart. He comes when he’s called and does tricks for food. He fetches and chases balls and mouse toys. He is extremely loyal and is a great companion.

October 22, 2009 at 2:33 pm
(29) Faye Tollison says:

I’ve had Miss Kitty for two years now. She is 9 years old and a beautiful and very feminine tuxedo cat. She is so smart that it’s like talking to another human. She understands everything I say and has a way of communicating to me that leaves no doubt what she wants. From the first day I brought her home she let me know my bed was her bed, and she wanted a pillow all her own. She’s very sociable with people who come to the house. It’s hard to believe she is 9 years old because she shows no sign of old age. Miss Kitty is my little princess, and I hope to enjoy her for many more years.

October 30, 2009 at 3:55 pm
(30) gannongun says:

my brothers friends found our tuxedo cat two years ago outside a tesco in a box on the corner of the road in front of it. she was the size of a tiny robin and was starving and cold as the arctic! my brothers friends brought her here and we called her figget because she loved to move about…the next day she went to the toilet in our blanket covers

November 11, 2009 at 12:27 am
(31) Ruth says:

My tuxedo cat, Baby, was a rescue cat. I found her on the highway after she had been hit by a car. When I picked her up, I realized that she had a string tied to her tail which had been set on fire. She was missing whiskers and a big patch of skin and fur on the inside of a rear leg. Her right ear had been burned too. I took her to the vet and he said even tiny kittens (she was about 9 weeks old at the time) have amazing healing powers. She is now 2 years old, has a stubby tail because the of the string injury, and weighs 6 lbs. But she is amazing. She loves people, greets us at the door, comes when called and loves bathes. She is a true lap cat and she will gently touch my face with her paw when she thinks she needs petted. She carries her toys to us when she wants to play. When I found her I would say “poor little baby girl” when I talked to her, but now she is our darling little Baby girl.

November 18, 2009 at 10:59 pm
(32) Nomi says:

I had a handsome Tuxedo Cat(Boots)for 16 years. I called him BooBoo. He looked like Sylvestor. He was my baby, and I loved every bone in his fuzzy body. Sadly, after he got older, he had a problem with his bowels(chronic constipation), and it finally got beyond saving him. I tried so hard to help him, and keep him longer, but finally did lose him, due to this problem. That was several years ago, and I still miss him. I guess I always will.

November 21, 2009 at 10:17 pm
(33) GrnEyedAngel says:

So sorry to hear of your loss….While there’s not really anything that I can give you to ease it, I’m sure that has gone to a better place where can chase countless toys and sleep to hearts content.

December 28, 2009 at 5:57 pm
(34) momof1tux says:

We have a big girl tux: 16 lbs and VERY long – about 3 feet nose to tip of tail. What a love! retrieves paper balls and does tricks for treats (sitting up with front paws drawn to chest is adorable!) – a talker – we have thought that there must be some siamese in her! Adopted her, or rather she chose us, when we met at a cat rescue home in Bridgeport CT. We also nick-name her BooBoo, but her formal name is Miss Darla. We hope to have many more delightful years with her (she is 8 years old)! What a joy.

Also, we are amazed at this gentle giant; she allows our very active 8 year old to pick her up and carry her about – just hangs like a rag doll! Very slow to get annoyed – a real baby. We just love our Tux girl!

January 2, 2010 at 12:00 pm
(35) dennis says:

I was addopted by my tuxedo cat at 3am one morning 6 months ago. he was just a kitten but made a very large noise on my porch. I opened the door and he just ran in and claimed the place along with me. He is my first tuxedo cat, there is something very different about tuxedo cats and I look forward to learn more. Everything people say about them is true. He was born with only one eye so I named him Jack. The handycap does not bother him one bit

January 6, 2010 at 4:37 pm
(36) Tan says:

I found an abandoned kitten with a horrible eye infection, took him to the Vet who saved him, but he lost an eye due to the infection. We named him Jack as well. I have to say that Jack is brilliant, and extremely vocal. I will never over sleep – from when the alarm clock starts going off he is there to tap me so I wak up. If that doesn’t work he’ll make sure something comes off of the night stand. He also growls and runs toward the door when the doorbell rings – We think he picked that up from the dog! Very funny.
We had another Tux just enter our lives a baby girl – We named her B.B. (Baby Bugsy – Has the biggest green eyes you have ever seen). It has been a riot in the household. I can go on forever since everyday brings new adventures with the little ones…

February 10, 2010 at 6:57 pm
(37) Rachel says:

My tuxedo cat knows how to open curtains (stand in the center with paws on each curtain and push out), drawers (pull out on the handle), and doors (reach up and turn the knob). I love him even if he’s a huge brat and wouldn’t trade him for anything!

February 14, 2010 at 12:33 pm
(38) Katherine says:

I have owned several tuxedo cats. They were not geniuses among cats, and they were kind of unstable, but those animals were outrageously clean.

March 4, 2010 at 3:54 am
(39) Ghanima says:

I had a tuxedo cat name Pootsie when I was a small child , this cat was so smart we would take him on picnics with us to the park and he never strayed far at all he would climb the trees and come back down and yes he was very vocal and had alot of patience.

March 13, 2010 at 4:21 pm
(40) Daniel N says:

I had a beloved female tuxedo cat named Missus Kitty. Prior to that, I had male tuxedo cat named Freddy (aka Fat Cat). I don’t necessarily know how old she was when we got her but it has been about 4-5 years since we’ve had her (I’m guessing she was 6-7 years old) and she suddenly died on Monday, March 8th for no apparent reason. She was fine and healthy and displayed no signs of illness (although she might’ve had a ear infection). At around midnight, she suddenly made a loud shrieking noise and fell backwards. It appeared her heart either stopped or she just stopped breathing. It was so sudden and tragic and I’m still grieving over her death.

She was a very smart cat but a bit on the lazy side. She loved to sleep on my bed and keep me company throughout the day. She had a bit of Asperger’s and hid under the bed every time someone “strange” came over. She loved to come to us when we were eating to “beg” for food. She also had this cute thing she did where she would look up at us and wink/blink her eyes at us like she was sleepy.

I don’t know why she left us so early but do not want to desecrate her with an autopsy. Could an ear infection (smelly ears) cause a sudden death?

I miss you so much Missus Kitty.

August 26, 2011 at 12:13 am
(41) Kaye says:

Yes, your cat certainly could have died from an ear infection or from ear mites. In the future, please have your cat examined by a vet annually, and take the cat to the vet at the first sign of any illness or infection. Animals can be very delicate, and they cannot tell us where they hurt. It also is a good idea to use Revolution on a cat each month to combat all sorts of parasites.

November 12, 2011 at 3:23 pm
(42) Anne says:

I’m so sorry to hear that you lost your Tuxie. Cats bring so much to our lives. The best cat I ever had was a stray named “Felix”. He was a beautiful Tuxedo, too. I lost him nearly six years ago, and I still grieve. What I wanted to tell you is that I have read that the slow eye blink that cats give their humans is their way of saying that they love us, and that we should give them the slow eye blink in return.

March 22, 2010 at 11:36 am
(43) nicola says:

i have a tuxedo cat he is called gunnies he carnt get to grips with the catflap i have tried allsorts to learn him but he is not having any of it

April 28, 2010 at 7:06 pm
(44) Lisa Wagner says:

I had my tuxedo cat Sampson since he was a kitten. I got him for “entertainment” for my fat cat I had recently adopted from a Petco Rescue. Those two never bonded but Sam and I did. He had his own pillow in my bed. I agree, tuxedo cats are smarter than any of my other cats. Sam thought he was my “boyfriend”. Wherever I was, he was. Drinking coffee and reading a book, he was on my lap. Knitting, he had his head stuck in whatever I was making. He sat on a stool in the kitchen and watched me make dinner. His favorite thing was to cuddle in my left arm and go to sleep. He was a big boy…probably 23 pounds but not fat…just huge. He survived a heart attack on Christmas day. It looked just like what Daniel N above described. I took him in several days later to the vet, had lab, ultrasound and x-rays which showed hypertrophic cardiomyopathy but also that he had cancer in his spleen and liver. The sweet guy survived longer than the vet predicted – probably because of all the loving he got and Co-Q10. He died in my arms last Friday. He just had his 11th birthday. I don’t know if I’ll ever meet a cat quite like my brave Sampson again. As for tuxedos, my sister’s tuxedo Doozie died a week before Sam. She was 17 years old and she was the coolest cat. She was the reason that I wanted a tuxedo. They had many similar personality attributes. I know there will never be a replacement of Sam, but if I ever get another cat, it will be a male tuxedo cat.

June 1, 2010 at 9:14 pm
(45) monica says:

I have a sweet Tuxedo cat named Johnny-Boy. I lost my former cat of 14 years (Molly), said I would never get a cat again, and nearly one month to the day of Molly’s death, I went to the local pound and picked out JB. He was 11 months old, a stray, and very thin. I thought nobody else would take him because they would want the small kittens instead, so I took him out of sympathy. On the way home I wondered how our relationship would be. I was so used to Molly and the bond we had developed (much longer story…I still miss her so much!). When we got home he was so loving and so I naturally assumed he was a gentle, tame little boy. The next day I took him to the vet and they immediately put him on oxygen and started injecting him with medicine. He had a respiratory infection, (I noticed he had been sneezing a lot), ear mites, worms and was proclaimed emaciated. The vet looked at me and asked “What do you feed him?”, as if I caused this tragedy. $360.00 later, we go home. He got better and in the following weeks it was obvious he was not a lap-cat and was only letting me pet him before because he was too sick to get away. A month later I went out of town on vacation and a friend looked in on JB. We had still not bonded and I was anxious and almost angry about it. My friend called me during my 3rd day of vacation to say JB had been up a tree the whole time and wouldn’t come down. I cut my vacation short and came home 2 days later. He was still in the tree. A very tall pine tree. I coaxed him down…an all day afair…and I promise you that little boy looked at me for encouragement the whole way down. When he finally took that last jump and I got him back inside the house, we bonded…that moment. He loves me and he shows it in so many ways. He’s much more tame now and trusts me completely. He’s still got a tom-cat way about him and loves to go outside but when he’s in, he totally hangs with me in whatever I’m doing. He loves being pet and is becoming a lap-cat. He knows his territory now and doesn’t wander away nor have I ever seen him climb a tree again. As a matter of fact, he stays away from them.

June 15, 2010 at 4:48 pm
(46) Middle aged woman says:

I’ve had a tux, Mr. Incognito, who was a stray when he came to us. Mr. Incognito had white whiskers, white paws and a white bib. Very handsome and big boy. He was smart and almost like a dog. He know and obeyed(!) commands like come in, go out, eat, no and come. No other cat was like him. Mr. Incognito followed me around the house and very vocal, had a number of different meows. He played host to cats in the neighborhood and invited them in. I miss him a lot.

July 8, 2010 at 10:39 pm
(47) jean says:

dear franny ,just had to put my tuxcedo down because of cancer we had him 10 years trying desperatly to find one,live in phoenix az any suggestions. I miss him soo much…I need your readers help.Am on social security

July 20, 2010 at 12:04 am
(48) GrnEyedAngel says:

So sorry to hear of all of those who lost their Tuxes…

Thought I would update Napoleon’s progress – he’s now 3 1/2 and runs 16 lbs in winter and about 14 in summer. He still loves his Mama more than anything in the world, including the head butts that will almost break your nose (if you ever have a chance to watch male lion cubs w/their mothers, it’s a very similar behavior).

He prefers to start “sleepy time” w/Mama, but then moves himself elsewhere once he gets truly sleepy. If Mama makes the mistake of going to bed behind the door w/out settling him, he will certainly let you know. He has become the favorite of the neighborhood – mrwawwhhing hello to everyone he recognizes during dog-walking time in the evenings from his spot on the screened-in porch. And he still watches out for his Meggie girl (the calico) – any “beau” cats coming round quickly beat a hasty retreat when he yells at them.

There is no question that these cats are different, and a shame that they are not officially recognized as such. I would love to find someone who could explain their unique qualities through breeding, but have yet to find that. I’ve seen references that they are the Egyptian cats in hieroglyphics (Napoleon certainly looks like that); however, that doesn’t bear weight in the official world.

In the interim period, I guess I will just love them and accept that they are nothing other than the outstanding cats that they are!

July 20, 2010 at 3:43 pm
(49) Franny Syufy says:

You can submit Napolean’s story to the Tuxedo Cats Show & Tell. It will be seen by more people there than it will on this outdated blog entry, plus, you can upload up to two photos with the story.

August 16, 2010 at 1:09 pm
(50) Helen says:

We too had a wonderful tuxedo cat who was all of the above. Unfortunately he lived to be only 7 years old and then died of kidney failure. How we wish he were still here with us.

October 24, 2010 at 3:51 pm
(51) Anne Marie says:

We had our tux cat Velvet for 10 years only, put her down last week as she had kidney problems. Always have had different cats in my life but never one as smart as Velvet. We adopted her and her big sister, Tiger at the same time from SPCA. Tiger is part main coon and 26 lbs. We never thought we would have such a short time with such a beautiful cat. Will always miss her but I want to get another Tux Cat ASAP. My husband says that would be replacing her but I do not feel that way. Any suggestions either way?

November 2, 2010 at 1:52 pm
(52) SusieQ says:

My first fine tuxedo man was named Mikhail sadly he developed stomach cancer at 3 and had to be put to sleep. We then adopted another black guy (he wasn’t a tuxedo) and named him Georgie. He was the apple of our eye and provided us many happy times. He died of a stroke just shy of his 4th birthday. I have never known such physical pain from losing a pet. He was as big a part of my life as my husband. We both walked around like zombies for days.
We could not wait more than a week to adopt again and this time a tiny 9 week black bundle of trouble with the biggest white bib and 4 white feet. He is full of attitude He shall be Jack Sparrow. I hope we can manage many years with this guy!

November 27, 2010 at 8:47 am
(53) Jume says:

I have an orange and white tuxedo cat (male), and a gray and white tuxedo kitten (female). The orange one is the sweetest cat anyone has ever met. He loves dogs and horses, and any other sort of animal. He will flop over my shoulder and let me wear him as a shawl around the house. There is something particularly special about him, but I have to say… Compared to the little grey tux, and my other two tabby cats, he is by far the least intelligent. The other cats watch in dismay while he tries to chase a fly. Regardless of his wit, he was such a great cat to luck into. I rescued him at 5 weeks old and he’s now a big, beautiful, fluffy 3 yr old who doesn’t just meow, but cooes. It sounds like a cat song.

December 10, 2010 at 11:12 pm
(54) Gemma says:

I adopted a rescue TC almost two years ago. He was returned to the shelter twice in his life, about a year apart. Who does this? Anyway, he is the most amazing cat. Smart as heck, and incredibly affectionate. LOVES his routines like clockwork. Is tiny and runty, but chubby – lol, and still beats up his big brother. He is the second TC I’ve had, and I would never again get another type. Also, this is the first adult cat I’ve ever adopted, and there really is so much love in the older cats – don’t ignore them for the kittens! Enjoy your pets. :)

December 25, 2010 at 11:12 am
(55) Renee Smitj says:

I have a cute tuxedo cat and she is soooo smart. Her name is Kit-Kat. I love her she’s my lil baby!!!

January 2, 2011 at 12:02 am
(56) Darlene says:

I have a tuxedo cat. I picked her up one day before heading home. We drove about an hour out of our way to pick her up. It took 7 hours to get home and she didn’t use a litter box at all. She waited until we brought her in the house and prepared a litter box for her. As soon as we did, she jumped in and did her business. She is such a delight and excellent company. She understands us and we just love and adore her. Her name is Cleo.She is a very intelligent cat.

January 12, 2011 at 10:53 pm
(57) Walter Reinhart says:

I had a tuxedo for 14 years and she was one smart lady, let me tell you. She understood me and I her. My wife came to me one day and asked, “What’s Josie, our cat’s name, want? She’s driving me crazy with all her talking.” I grinned and said, ” She’s hungry.” My wife thought I was nuts till I said, “Show Dad what you want and she went right to her bowl.
Josie was with us for fourteen years before she came down with something that took her from us. Her favorite thing was to get up on the bed by my head and sleep with me.
She also trained our pit bull, Frisket, by giving him a beating when he accidentally bit me while playing.
She’d climb up on me and stretch out with her eyes closed and her paws on my chest and I swear a look of utter contentment on her face.
One of the silliest things she loved was when you took her paw and danced with her, her entire face would light up and I swear she’d have a big smile on her face.
Josie was a black and white tuxedo with a black mask and nose and I miss her more with each passing day since she left us four years ago.

January 27, 2011 at 4:36 pm
(58) Shana says:

My cat Simon is a Tuxedo and he’s ten years old. He has been my constant companion for nine of his ten years and of all my four cats, he’s indeed the smartest my far! My husband and I call him a “Dat” or a “Cot” because he’s very dog like in many ways; he begs for food and is extremely affectionate like a dog. He looks directly into people’s eyes and has many different cat calls. I hope he lives as long as I do because I cannot imagine life without him. However, I love all my cats, and, I love cats in general, (and dogs too) and would love to know how I can help those strays outside. (I’ve saved several already.)

January 29, 2011 at 5:21 pm
(59) Janie says:

I have had shadow my tuxedo cat since he was 2 months old. He walked into my house one day and decided it was a good place to live. He is fiercely loyal to me n my hubby. we r his humans n are proud to be so. We didnt adopt him he adopted us. I have had two others but shadow is unique in that he chose us rather than the other way around.

January 29, 2011 at 6:03 pm
(60) Finchy says:

We are the proud servants of twin TCs – brother and sister we have named Scratch and Sniff. They were born to a cat residing next door, but worked out from a few weeks old they were much better suited to living with us. So they moved in and took over!

They are very affectionate cats, sleeping on the kids’ pillows (sometimes on their heads like a hat!) or snuggled up in a pile with us. Sniff likes to wake me by tapping my nose gently, and repeatedly, until I get up and feed them. Scratchy is more vocal in his demands. He sits next to my head and talks to me until I give in.

They play complicated games of hide and seek with each other, and have been known to be over-enthusiastic to the point of destruction. There is certainly an element of Eliot’s Jellicle cats in the.

February 7, 2011 at 1:49 pm
(61) James says:

Is it possible to get a Tonkinese cat with a tuxedo pattern? Because my kitten is a tuxedo, but he has a Tonkinese build, Or is he just a mix? also, if it has white paws and a white neck and belly but no white face, does he even count as a tuxedo? Also the kitten is 9 months old.

February 9, 2011 at 11:29 am
(62) Pat says:

I am embarassed about the way we got our cat. He and his sister belonged to a neighbor at the back of our house. They were named Samson and Delilah. The male owner is a minister.

Samson made his rounds and followed his Mrs. owner more than his Mr. owner. He loves little girls. The reason being: a little girl lived across the street from his home. At some point in time Samson got hit by a truck. His right back leg was injured and his owners took him to a vet who saved that leg.

We have two cat doors. One is into our laundry room, and the other is from the laundry door into the house. Our other cat was a small solid small black cat. One day Samson was in our front yard and noticed that after our front door was open, there was a fraction of time that allowed our little black cat to go into the house behind the last person. He waited for the opportunity and came in and found our cat cafe, and he has been here ever since.

I don’t think our very nice neighbors were happy about Samson taking up with us. They were never, never mean to Samson, but they were gone over weekends.) Samson was an outdoor cat and slept in the garage (with the garage door slightly up) and now he comes and goes and loves to stay inside the house. Our house is next to an alley, which supplies mice. Samson learned to catch mice by observing our cat that is now deceased. Delilah was taken to live in the country with parents of her owners.

Is it true that “You don’t own a cat; the cat owns you?” Samson is an absolute delight. Our little black cat crossed over while we were on vacation.

March 26, 2011 at 4:09 pm
(63) katykat says:

to Alexandria: We quit using plastic bowls for our cats. Our vet told us the swelling, hair loss and tenderness on our cat’s chin was caused by the plastic bowl. Either a sensitivity or allergy. Haven’t had that problem since.

April 6, 2011 at 12:56 am
(64) bianca says:

WHEN I MOVE TO THE APARTMENT THAT I CURENTLY LIVE, THESE TWO TUXEDO CATS CHOOSE ME TO BE THEIR MOTHER. ALL I CAN SAID THAT THEY ARE THE WONDERFULL CATS I EVER HAD AND ARE VERY INTELIGENT SPECIALLY THE FEMALE CAT NAME DAISY AS WELL THE MALE FELIX. THESE CATS ARE FRIENDLY, SMART, AND CLEAN. THE INTERSTED PART IS THAT MY CAT DAISY FOLLOWS ME EVERYTIME I GO TO THE LAUDRY. I CAN SAID SHE IS OVERPROTECTIVE! I FEEL HAPPIER HAVING THEM AROUND ME THEY ARE GREAT KITTENS, VERY LOVING.

May 12, 2011 at 12:25 pm
(65) carrie says:

I agree with the fact that tuxedo cats are hightly intelligent. My tuxy Milo plays fetch, he’s also a bit of a trouble maker, he likes to knock drinks off the table purely for attention. He’s young, only 8 months old, so I’m hoping this is only a phase and he will grow out of it. He knows how to get his way, he will meow like he’s obsessed in order to get his way like getting attention, he thinks the world just revolves around him, but he’s my baby and I adore him. I had a new guy come over that I started dating and Milo just sat there and gave him dirty looks for the first couple of hours before he would come close to Nick. The more Nick comes around the more Milo is starting to like him a little, not alot, but a little. Milo does not like to share me.

June 16, 2011 at 10:06 am
(66) Aurora says:

My tuxedo cat, Emerald, isn’t very bright. Does anyone know why?

August 6, 2011 at 12:46 am
(67) vs2s says:

We have a tuxedo–we call her Lucy. She’s very smart. She can solve problems and open doors. However, she is also very lazy! And extremely quiet! She has a delicate high pitched voice that doesn’t fit with her fat kitty frame. We love her very much. (And her little brother, a rambunctious blue tabby.)

October 29, 2011 at 2:41 am
(68) kerry says:

I had a tuxedo cat named boobalini grey and white. Ive had many cats but there was something special about this one. Smart cant describe him. He knew when I was driving down the street coming home he would run out in front of my car almost like he knew the sound of my car 5 min before I got there. I would have to slam on my breaks because he would dash right in front of the car to greet me. He also went to the bathroom in the toilet occasionaly when he was younger. He loved being outside and I didn’t know all the risks of the outdoors then and he got fiv. And eventually died of cancer because of a week immune system. I miss him. I am always looking for another tux he was also vocal every time i said something to him he would answer back.

December 16, 2011 at 10:33 am
(69) SK says:

I have a Cat Named…. Kitty, well her FULL Name is.. PrincessDaisyBellMorganAndersonRose The 1st
Her mother was A calaco named Sassy… lol Kitty is sassy herself. she loves to play “swords” when she stands or sits on her hind legs, and bops at me, while i take my finger and tapp her on the tummy in a sword ike movement, its fun. but when she gets tired shell just nuzzle my hand and go on with her day… shes also always in the funniest places. if you come home with a rack of new clothes, shell sit on them. she also loves boxes, When she was a kitten, she fell of a balcony (in my house) aparently she tried to look over and sliped. because i was watching Tv when i heard a thud, she was ok, but it happened again, and one Xmas she got stuck in the Xmas tree, and got tangled in the lights and we had to cut her out, then another Xmas she got in the tree and it topled with her.. she meowed like.. MROWWW it was like she was saying TIMBER!! she has been through alot.. like trying to climed out a 2 story window and on to the roof.. shes a handful.. but i love her to peices <33333 where like BFFs, Sisters, and mother and child. we learn from each other, we have our dissagrements (like get off the fridge XD) and through the bad days, she always ends up cuttled next to me purring. I LOVE HER SOOO MUTCH (shes also my first cat!) lol ok im done… lol lots to share.. but i gtg XD

January 19, 2012 at 3:52 pm
(70) charlibear1 says:

okay this i the total opposite of what my cat does…get yo facts right…

March 29, 2012 at 4:52 pm
(71) I have MS and a smart pretty girl Tux says:

I have a Tuxedo named Grumnles. She grumbles or does a funny meow that sounds like, “MeeeoM”, like she is saying MoM. My husband and I got her from a Cat boarding house that had both boarded and adoptable cats and kittens. Grumby was a year and a half.
She is smart. She camehome from day 1 to about 2 weeks later claiming the house to our 6 month and 9 moth old cat. She never attacked the other cats, she ust ut out her ‘Wolverine’ claws whenever she enter a room that a cat was in. She spent time helping me train the kitten, by grooming and picking here up and moving her…why, I dunno.
Now Grumby sits on our bed at night facing tthe door as if she is our watch dog. She walks between my husband about 4am to say, We are hungry, NOW!!!” She comes when called. She sits on command, ( I thought that dogs only did that) and all three cats know the words TREAT, yo wanna go OUTSIDE AND EAT, so I have to spell them when talking to humans. They go out on our screened Lanai (patio).

The only thing that I am completely paranoid about, is when they all…one day will get sick and or pass away. I feel that I will never be prepared. Right now, they are happy and healthy and have 3 zillion toys, cat towers, vet care and what ever else the want or need. My sisters and I was prepared before my Mother passes 13 years ago, but with my cats…I don’t know.

June 15, 2012 at 8:28 pm
(72) jesse says:

My tuxy, pearl, has always come by her name, no matter where shes at in the house. She entertains herself with bottle caps, sliding it down the stairs and carrying it to the top to do it again. I can’t say she is the MOST intelligent cat ever but no other cat I’ve had will come to me like her… and my sister is a crazy cat lady! Shes also very stuck up for attention, like any female human is.

July 7, 2012 at 12:04 am
(73) jordan says:

i found a Tuxedo cat in my friends bush it came out and it was scared but i made it fill like home and it keep coming to me.i know how to take care of cats and kittens because my neighbors have cats and has had them since they were kittens.we are trying to find him a home but for now it’s name is mittens oreo morrgreg. morrgreg stands for my last name and my friends last name combined. i hope he finds a home!!!!!!!!!!!!

August 5, 2012 at 12:53 am
(74) Al says:

My cat is a tuxedo and very stupid. She doesn’t know any tricks. It’s only about eating and sleeping!! Boring!!!

August 12, 2012 at 7:13 am
(75) SophieQueen says:

I had a tuxedo kitten, but i think someone stole him, his name was Sylvetser. I was wondering if my tabby cat could have another tuxedo kitten without having an tuxedo father.

August 29, 2012 at 7:32 am
(76) kenno says:

I named my tuxedo cat zorro as in the movie The Mask of Zorro. He’s bloody smart, heaven knows. He’s bloody strong as well. I let him play outside every now and then, and so far I’ve found no other cats around my neighborhood but them and the female ones. Two years ago he had these four tux kittens to some local female cat. I didnt get the chance to name three of them, but the last one is now called Singgo—as in sing and go. Not the best name in the world, but it’s surely better than Joaquin (zorro’s son in the second movie). Joaquin just doesn’t fit cats, I think. Anyways, since Zorro’s about to retire, a few months ago he gave his kingdom to his son. So now Zorro stays home, while Singgo’s out there taking care of their neighborhood.

And hell yeah, am I proud of them.

September 30, 2012 at 4:56 pm
(77) grieving tuxedo owner says:

We just had to euthanize our 12 year old male tuxedo this weekend. We raised him from a kitten and from day 1 he was the absolute best and smartest cat we’ve ever had and I’ve had 15 over my lifetime. We did not pick him, he put his paw out and we picked him up and he crawled right up on my husband’s shoulder and into our hearts. Everyone from the cat sitter to the vet adored him and could not believe how well behaved he was.
Beeklee we will miss you forever and you will live in our hearts forever!!!!

February 24, 2014 at 5:05 pm
(78) Paige says:

I have been around cats all my life and my tuxedo cat has to be the smartest cat I’ve met. Even though all cats are smart I just have to go with the fact that Tuxedos are smarter than the average cat.