1. Home

Franny Syufy

Cats' Top Pet Peeves

By December 4, 2013

Did it ever occur to you that your cat's misbehavior and/or bad attitude might be a result of things you do or don't do? For instance, would you want to use a public restroom that smells like a dirty litter box? Just as we humans do, cats have pet peeves too.

Does your cat suddenly turn on you with a strong bite or painful scratch while you're petting her? Careful observation of your cat's body language can help you avoid the pain of petting aggression. Someone apparently failed to learn the warning signals while vigorously petting this cat.
Photo Credit: iStockPhoto/Anna Sematkina

Comments

November 18, 2012 at 10:20 pm
(1) Angela Jones says:

There is a local feral cat who looks similar to this cat in colour and facial expression, only with dreadlocks instead of fur. She has been coming into our house at night for food and I have been leaving food out for her. She is very frightened and she only enters after we have all gone to bed.

In the day time she fights with my two cats outside. She believes she lives here.

I would like to make the situation more comfortable for her. Perhaps it would be good if she were a little tamer so I could get her off to the vet for worming and desexing. She seems to be missing a few clumps of fur so a skin check would be great too.

How should i best deal with this Crukshanks?

November 22, 2012 at 8:33 pm
(2) Franny Syufy says:

Angela, you could look for a supplier of the have-a-heart cat trap, or check with your local shelter for any TNR (Trap-Neuter-Release) groups near you. They can give you the best advice.

August 20, 2013 at 1:17 pm
(3) MiltonandMolly says:

That is one angry cat!

December 4, 2013 at 12:41 pm
(4) oneandahalfcats says:

I can certainly attest to the direct cause and effect that we humans can perpetrate (unknowingly) on our pets. Case in point : We have learned that our Max will hold onto his poop if he feels the litter is not to his liking. The same goes for Thomas (our other male). We scoop and stir soon after someone has gone, and the litter gets changed once and sometimes twice a week which we felt was sufficient. But if Max hasn’t pooped, it’s usually because of the litter. The moment I change it, he is in the box soon after. It was such a relief to come to this realization as one vet thought that Max might have megacolon and insisted that he be on Cisapride and that nasty Peg stuff every month. Funny how a simple change and paying attention, can make all of the difference.

Similarly, Maggie does not like play that involves being poked or teased but loves gentle stroking which makes her very relaxed and affectionate. We think her lack of playfulness is due to her history which we know very little about, so we just don’t go there.

December 4, 2013 at 12:55 pm
(5) oneandahalfcats says:

To add to the above, something else I have experienced recently and take care to be aware of, is how Thomas our little Tuxedo will race around the house before having a bowel movement. If my husband and I are both in the vicinity of the litter boxes, and are moving about a lot or talking to each other, this has sometimes had the effect of causing Thomas to go poop somewhere in the house, other than the litter box. When I see Thomas racing around and not going to where the litter box is when he usually goes, this is my cue to pick him up and talk quietly to him while walking to where the litter box is, and placing him there in front of it. He goes and then after I praise him. So far no more accidents.

December 4, 2013 at 9:06 pm
(6) Franny Syufy says:

Very astute and observant of you to notice that, onandahalfcats.

I have two cats who scratch everywhere except near the poop when they use the box. They scratch the wall, the floor around the box, and the side of the container where put we scooped waste in.

If I happen to see one of them doing that, I’ll go scoop the poop and dispose of it, then they walk away.

December 5, 2013 at 7:29 am
(7) oneandahalfcats says:

Funny .. Yes, Max scratches all over the place as well, in fact he scratches the lip of the box and surrounding tile walls quite strenuously that we know its him in there. This is a particularly useful cue if he hasn’t gone in a couple of days and hubby and I are up on another floor, listening and hoping that it is Max who is in the box. B.