1. Home

Franny Syufy

Please Keep Your Outdoor Cats Safe in Cold Weather

By December 7, 2013

Last night we had our biggest snowfall since we moved here two years ago. While all my cats are toasty warm indoors, I've noticed some neighbors in our new community, leave their cats outside and I worry if they're out that they'll not be safe in this cold weather.

photo © Franny Syufy. Click on photo to see larger image.

Our kitten Gaither was safely enjoying his first snow through the glass slider to our deck in this photo. Whether you manage a feral cat colony, or your cats are indoor-outdoor, It's important to take steps to ensure they are safe from extreme cold outdoors. In addition to the linked article, a number of our readers experienced with feral cat colonies have posted tips in this User Answer If you are also an expert on feral cat colonies, feel free to add your comments to those below.

Comments

January 25, 2007 at 10:01 pm
(1) Martha says:

I really get tired of comments like “Although cats really belong indoors…” I tried to keep my cat indoors when he was adopted and he nearly went crazy. He would bite and scratch me and my friends and pee in the house. Once I let him out, he was ecstatic, and I’ve had a best buddy for 12 years. Cats are animals. Some like to be in, some like to be out. Mine goes out for a few hours, and sleeps indoors. He’s just fine. I’m tired of comments that suggest that because we let our cats outside, we are somehow bad pet owners.

January 26, 2007 at 6:41 am
(2) cat says:

I took in a homeless cat when the weather started getting cold last year. He tried everything to get out. He attacked my other cats and scratched me and sprayed in my bedroom.
I had him fixed and ignored his begging
at the door. I tried taking his mind off outside by playing with him as he calmed down and got used to all of us. This is our second winter and he no longer even asks to go out but I do let him go into the basement to be alone and
he has a warm bed with water there. I am releived he has settled since even though I live in the city, we have coyotes and a red tail hawk living
here and I’d hate to come home one day and not know what happened to him as has
happened to my neighbor more than a few times yet she still lets her cats out.
I do not understand it.

January 26, 2007 at 2:05 pm
(3) Cat Person says:

Ideally I think cats should be allowed to go outside or be inside as they wish during the day. I can tell that they enjoy their time outdoors. At my house I have a little cat openning in the house through which our cats come and go as they wish during the day. In the evening they come indoors for the night, and I close the cat doorway.

I allow my cats to go outdoors because it is relatively safe here. In other places it may not be, and so there is the necessity (lesser of evils) of keeping them indoors.

I think the innate wildness in these little creatures indicates that they love the outdoors. Nevertheless, as a cat owner I assess outdoor hazards and protect my little friends accordingly. The indoor/outside issue requires careful assessment in each circumstance.

January 26, 2007 at 2:16 pm
(4) Amber says:

I could not imagine letting my princess out in weather like this. Her paws have never even touched the grass and she is going on 4 years old!

January 26, 2007 at 6:40 pm
(5) Mscalico says:

I have 6 cats that are different as night and day. They are all related.
Mothers and kittens. some from the same litter can’t stand to be inside. One won’t go out unless I carry him and
one comes and goes as he pleases. Go
figure!

January 26, 2007 at 8:46 pm
(6) Mike says:

Well, my Smokey thought he wanted out, but after a few moments, he was reacy to come back in. He is very much spoiled rotten, and loves his indoors home. I rescured him from outside, and after getting used to the house, he loves it. We do have a few feral cats that are at home outside. Moset have a bed to sleep in and plenty of water and food

January 27, 2007 at 4:42 pm
(7) Catmom says:

It truly bothers me when I see cats outside. Do people consider the following? Cars hitting your cat and either killing them or leaving them to suffer. They can come in contact with wild animals, other domestic outside pets who could injure or kill them or they can catch diseases like upper respiratory, distemper, FIV or other dangerous/deadly viruses. Also, have you ever thought about your neighbor who uses pesticides on their lawn? If your cat goes onto their lawn, comes home and grooms themself, they will become very ill and/or die. And that’s just a few scenarios. Your cat may love to be outside but I have two cats who were outside cats (one was a semi-feral stray) and I have friends that have (formerly) outside cats and they all have been successfully turned into inside cats. Sure, they cry at the door sometimes and try to get out, but I keep in mind that it has been proven that indoor cats live longer, healthier lives than outdoor cats. And I hate hearing of horrifying stories. I volunteer at a shelter and we also do not adopt to people who allow their cats outside. That is actually according to the policy of the HSUS. Just recently, I lectured a friend about allowing his cat outside and what do you know???…right after that, his cat was bitten by an unidentified animal. He has an infected bite wound and is under quarantine.

Another issue that I have with outdoor cats is that when I see a cat, I don’t know if they are lost, a stray or if they belong to someone. I cannot take them to the shelter because they may belong to someone but if it’s a stray cat, they are then deprived of food, shelter and medical care. If one of my cats escape (and they are collared), people will think, “Hey, must be an outdoor cat.” Now my cat has to suffer? I believe there should be an “indoor law” for cats.

The following is a quote from The HSUS:
“Making the great indoors meet all of a cat’s needs is easy and fun. Simply playing with an indoor cat keeps the animal stimulated and exercised—and safe from the outside dangers of injury and disease.
Most pet caregivers would not dream of letting their dogs roam the neighborhood freely—the dangers are too great. Yet many loving pet owners don’t think twice about letting their cats roam, believing it’s unnatural—even cruel—to keep cats cooped up in the house. The truth is that millions of owned cats suffer and die because they are allowed outside unsupervised.”

February 1, 2011 at 11:50 pm
(8) Mabel says:

I just came across your comment, and yes, I have an outside cat. Her mother hid her as a kitten and she did not get socialized to humans, so she is pretty close to feral. I have tried and tried to get her to come in, but as soon as the door starts to close, she freaks and I have to let her out.

She’s calmed down a bit around me. I made her a very cozy doghouse to sleep in, up off the ground on wood blocks and wrapped. She is insulated pretty well in there and I make sure she gets something to drink before I go to bed. I’d like to get a heated water bowl, but I don’t have an outside outlet. So I change it as frequently as I can and she’s come to know when the fresh water will be there.

I hate that she’s outside in the cold weather, but I’ve done the best I can for her since she absolutely refuses to be inside at all. I don’t get it, because if I were her, I’d be clawing at the wall to get in when it’s cold like this!

March 10, 2011 at 2:40 am
(9) Cathi says:

Mabel,
Hi i was looking around for information about outdoor cats and I saw your comment. I have an outdoor cat for reasons which I will not say, but I’m very uncomfortable about how he has to live outside. Even though in my state it’s getting pretty warm, I want to be prepared next winter. I was wondering how you make the doghouse warm for your cat. How do you make it ‘cozy’? Please give more details on that, thank you.

January 28, 2007 at 1:36 pm
(10) Barb says:

I just came back from taking care of my neighbor’s dogs and 2 cats while they are out of town overnite. The dogs were in the toasty house and the cats were in the porch.Although there is plastic on the screens for the winter, it is still VERY cold out there where they sleep. They do have fleece blankets, but no food or water(they eat inside in the morning). They were yelling to come in this morning! The cats are also allowed to “roam” during the day–porched at night. My neighbors are good friends and I always say to them–”how can you treat your dogs one way(inside and leashed outside) and your cats another?” I left the cats inside–my neighbors know that I’m going to always do this. I have 5 cats. Two like to go out and they each have a 25 foot leash to be able to sniff about. The others are content to stay in, and in cold weather, the two outsiders never leave the back deck even though they are tied,they take a few sniffs and come right back in! One is 19 the other is 8 and they have been leash-trained their whole lives–no problem!!!!!

February 4, 2007 at 8:27 pm
(11) Charlie C says:

I care for a colony of ferals in my Philadelphia backyard. There’s 8 ferals, and one stray. I opened my crawlspace for the winter, and installed a heater, lighting, and a carpet. A small plywood shed in front of the opening, acts as both a canopy and a feeding station, with heated water bowls. The stray is in there constantly, however, the ferals only use it when the weather is absolutely freezing!!!

February 6, 2007 at 10:55 pm
(12) H. Gregory says:

I am a true believer that cats and dogs love the outdoors and enjoy open spaces but there comes a time when you have to take care of your pets since they are like your kids. I mean would you let your child swim in the ocean with a handful of Great White Sharks? It is pretty much the same in comparison with the Great Horned Owls and the Hawks. I have had several cats disappear on me with no trace. At first I thought they possibly were hit by cars, or bitten from a snake. I really had my mind on the snake for a long time until I heard one of my neighbors talk about an Owl coming down and taking his ducks and the neighbors dog. Wow! Also I was pulling up to my home one afternoon I noticed something in the back yard. Looking closer I saw a big bird and was thinking to myself what in the world is that bird doing? Looking and wondering at the same time the closer I got my mouth just dropped as it flew off with someones cat underneath him. Shocker!!! Then today, as I was playing on the computer, I heard this loud squall from my parrot. I looked outside at his cage and there was a hawk on his cage. I flew out of my seat, ran to the door, yelling and screaming. When I was right to the cage he started to fly off and was stunned to see such a bird and the size was amazing. I was so scared at that time and looked up to see that there was not just one hawk but three or four. This bird was as big as my parrots cage. HUGE!!!!!!!!! I could go on and on about all the stories I have heard now but this is the way I look at it. Yes, its nature. This is life. Thats the way its supposed to work. Right? Not really. Yes, its nature, but your animals are not wild. The birds dont know the difference and your pets are not in the wild and really know how to defend themselves. Nature is natural but my babies are not part of the circle of life. They are my babies and its up to the parents to keep them safe. The wild animals dont know the diffence in a wild cat or a domesticated cat. They just know its food.
Keep your cats and dogs inside unless they are 4X the size of the biggest hawk and great horned owl. They are known to be able to pick up 3X their size.
Good Luck,
H. Gregory

February 17, 2007 at 9:04 pm
(13) Shoshana says:

When I see stray cats outside, I want to help them. I feed them and give them water on my way to work. The other day, I took one home with me. She is now indoors with my other 2 cats; I know this is risky, since I have not had her checked. But, a vet once told me that I should wait one month before having her checked, because it takes that long to determine if she has FIV. She seems perfectly healthy (not skinny) and was probably someone else’s cat. But then why was she left outside? She is very sweet, loving and quiet. WHY DO PEOPLE DO THAT? I believe that letting your cat outside for “free roam” should be illegal in any big city. It’s just not fair to the animal to expect them to be safe and warm on their own. And, the Trap, Neuter and Release program does not make sense to me. How would an innocent bystander know when he sees a stray whether the cat needs a home or not. Stray cats pull at my heart strings, and sometimes it’s really just too much. People need to be educated about stray animals. People think that stray cats and dogs can survive in the city, even when it’s cold. How ignorant is that? Who taught them that? Frost bite can effect them, too, obviously. Animals are only about 6 degrees warmer than human beings. How can a stray cat or dog find food when it is freezing outside, with very little water or wild life? People sometimes seem heartless, walking around with their fur coats and not caring at all about the cold stray animals outside. I wish there was more that I could do. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Sincerely, Animal Lover

April 22, 2007 at 10:42 pm
(14) jhoanna says:

how can i remove my cats fear of water? because when im givig it a bath she keeps holding on to me and scratch all the time and she bites plz do answer thank you
~jhoanna

June 17, 2007 at 5:15 am
(15) aisha khan says:

Umm.. i’ve never had ANY pets in my life before.. and there’s this cat outside my house … it always just sits on my porch (my porch is covered) and i live in seattle so its always raining here.. I asked my neighbor and the cat belongs to another one of our neighbors.. but he never keeps it at home… the cats always outside even in the RAIN?! i gave it milk the other day and it drank it up… i’m really worried about it.. i don’t know if i should bring it inside.. or.. ugh.. i’m really worried.. its real cold outside..

July 17, 2007 at 11:52 am
(16) taylor says:

I am only 11 yrs,old and my friends are to.we just recentley found a sorta feral cat.she loves us and can’t seem to go far from my friends.we know she belongs to a teen down the street but we’ve seen him kick her and push her away a lot.she is also very skinny and its a wonder shes still so cheerful (she cant get annough of people.)and alive for that matter!!we feed her and give her shelter and the basics(we even brush her)we would confront the owners but were just a coup;e of kids.we are going to build her a BIG box out of wood for in the winter for her to saay in when shes cold.It will have hay and blankets and a light to keep her warm.we would bring her inside (she would be free to go in and out as she pleases.)wich we wil probebly eventually do.we also think she may have worms so were getting her some pills from the pet shop.we are also saving for a vet visit and eventually get her fixed.the humane society is not an option as she will never be an inside cat,she would die(literally)if she was contained like that.and we dont want to put her down because its not fair for her to die because of her lifstyle(being an outdoor cat.).we will continue to care for her.i have part of the ownership on her and she is my cat away from home.

July 23, 2007 at 9:43 am
(17) CatLover says:

I also agree that the comments “although cats should be inside”, or related comments, should be used sparingly. Until it is a law, then us cat cowners will choose what is best for our pet. I have a cat who lives in the garage and roams freely outdoors. The neighbors, most of them, have the same situation (outdoor roaming cats), and we are doing just fine. Keep your cat indoors if you like, but the maintenance is less with outdoor cats (for me anyway). Enjoy your pet, be responsible, but also be fair.

August 28, 2007 at 3:08 pm
(18) kelly says:

our cat has just recently been moved to our screen porch(it’s the length of the back of the house). He’s having some problems inside and wants on the porch majority of the time anyways. He’s gorging food and vomiting and we decided he’s bored and food is his only source of fun.
So last night he spent the night on the porch for the first time and loved it. I checked on him ever other hour through our bedroom window. The whole back of the house is screened in, he is declawed and the bottom of the screen is metal ….so he’s safe.
I let him in for about 15 minutes in the morning, a few hours in the afternoon and put him back out on the porch around dinner time(that’s when outdoor fun begins). He’s happier ….stoped vomiting and is not as interested in his food. WE have secured everything! We don’t plan on him going otuside BUT ..the fence is locked w/ a baby gate infront of it, the back fence has a garden fence that goes underground 2 feet so nothing can get in and the porch is locked up and secure …so he’s safe as a kitty can be and truly entertained at night.
And this is the first week ever that he’s not restless and content to nap all day.

I’m very happy w/ him living mainly on the porch.
When we moved here we watched surrounding wildlife for about am onth before making this decision. No cats are ever in our backyard! …a hawk is randomly, but my cat is double his size and in the screen porch.
I’m happy w/ our decision.
I have no problem w/ cats being outside, but i think they should have collars on and be fixed to prevent problems.

September 8, 2007 at 5:15 pm
(19) Kimberly says:

I have just recently found a stray cat that has grown very attached to me. My husband and son are both very allergic to cats so he cannot come inside. I go outside and give him the attention he needs and feed him outside. I watch as he eats and I bring the dish inside when he’s finished as not to attract other cats. It’s going to get extremely cold here (Eastern WA) this winter and my husband says he has to stay outside. I am worried for him, what can I do to help keep him warm? He sleeps in a cozy chair on our covered back porch so I was wondering if just throwing a warm blanket on his chair would be enough? I am a dog lover and have never liked cat’s but he’s such a good cat and has changed my mind.

September 10, 2007 at 8:56 am
(20) dawn says:

I have four cats – two boys and two girls – all indoor cats. My two boys have been with us only about three years – they spray everywhere – my entire house smells like cat pee! It is horrible. My husband and I are moving and we are going to keep the boys outside – I honestly don’t have a choice. I would love for them to be in- but I can’t have them destroying everything I own (and yes, they are fixed). We are moving to a farm, and they can live in barn and we’ll provide them with a warm outdoor place to sleep – but my only other option is taking them to the shelter. The stress their behavior has put on my husband and I is horrible. I have tried the feliaway stuff, and other things to try to calm them down and taken them to my vet – he can’t suggest anything. One of them pees on my stove!

October 18, 2007 at 8:37 am
(21) Vina says:

I have an insulated Cat House for my outdoor (young) cats. They already use it but only when I prop the swinging door open. I know that they will eventually learn to use the door. I want to keep the house warm in the winter and wonder if one of those heated rocks for iguana’s would work. Has anyone tried this?

October 19, 2007 at 5:29 pm
(22) Lisa says:

Ok maybe having a cat outdoors can be dangerous.. with cars and other animals.. but think of it from the cats point of view.. I would rather live a shorter free life where i can come and go.. and experience more and be able to exibit more of my natural instincts rather than only experience whats inside the walls of the house for years and years..

October 26, 2007 at 10:54 am
(23) Laurie says:

While it’s true that never allowing a cat outside can keep him from danger. Can you imagine if we did the same to kids. How overprotective that would be! Many say cats are like our kids and we wouldn’t let kids out w/out supervision, but that’s only true for small children (like kittens). Most people let older children out to play without constant supervision. If you didn’t let your child play outside think of all the things you’d protect them from: scraping their knee on concrete, falling off of a bike, getting hit by a car, getting kidnapped, mosquito bites, tics, etc. However, most people would think it was strange and ridiculous not to let their child outside until they were 18 without adult supervision. If you didn’t let them go to school or even the store, they may not even get sick! How about keeping our kids inside for their entire life just to keep them safe?

While a cat may get hurt and have a shorter life, I think it is sad for any animal to NEVER get a chance to experience the outside world.

October 28, 2007 at 9:27 am
(24) chris says:

Catmom says: “That is also why I do not believe in TNR. You cannot trap the same cat twice. If you have, that cat was very lucky. I don’t believe cats should suffer in the freezing weather as well as the heat, humidity and rain and have no food, water or medical care readily available. In my opinion and the opinion of many others that I am aware of, it is more compassionate to trap them and humanely euthanize them to end their distress.”

If a cat is being TNR’d by a competent organization or even a dedicated individual they will not be constantly suffering as you suggest. They will have food, water, and shelter. They will be less likely to contract a disease if they are well nourished and do not fight and mate all the time. Sure they face some risk and hardships but don’t we all? Would you choose death for people rather than letting them live a less than perfect life? The world is not perfect but to my mind, unowned free-roaming cats have the right to live as best they can just like we all do. TNR not only breaks the cycle of breeding but colony management helps maximize their quality of life under whatever their individual circumstances happen to be. Let’s be realistic, who is going to take the time and spend the money to trap and kill all these cats to “end their distress”? Probably no one and certainly not as many people as would be willing to help with a life-affirming TNR program. So by calling it more humane to kill them rather than TNR them, you are adding to the suffering when people take your advice and reject TNR but actually do nothing.

October 28, 2007 at 5:39 pm
(25) lisa says:

well, i love to see my cat outside, so she can enjoy the sun, running around, try to catch a mouse…(like a real cat live should be). Over night she is inside mostly and in the winter she enjoys the warm house.

She is a very healthy 17 year old cat.

November 24, 2007 at 3:20 am
(26) Amber says:

I have an indoor/outdoor cat which is not by choice- my mom started letting him out when he was a kitten because he would bite her legs and it hurt her… so I don’t blame her but now I live in a country like area and let him roam free cause if I don’t he doesn’t stop crying and it gets louder and louder while I’m trying to do my work on the computer- so those of you who say that letting your cat outside should be outlawed are rediculous– cats are not humans- I feel they should be allowed to be happy during the day and brought in at night- but if I were to ever get another cat, I would never let it outside from the start cause I do worry about my baby, but I also want him to be happy- thats what good parenting is about

November 24, 2007 at 3:32 am
(27) Amber says:

another thing is, while it feels right to try to take in strays, it isn’t right- unless you post an ad in the newspaper first and wait a couple weeks to a month to make sure its not someone else’s cat that your kidnapping- cause this could be devastating to their owner… my cat can’t wear a collar because when I put one on him, I woke up to him going crazy with blood running down his fur- the collar was locked on his lower jaw and cutting up his mouth- so after that scary incident I will never put another collar on him again- but I always worry that some shmuck will come along and steal my cat without checking if he’s someones pet cause he’s very friendly by nature and I do want to get the “Home Again” chip but what good is that gonna do when this person decides its their cat now- so please post an ad first people– come on!!!

January 2, 2008 at 4:36 pm
(28) Marilyn says:

We live out in the country, farm area with fast moving equipment and we had a horrible time keeping a cat. Finially a friend caught 2 of his new barn cats and gave them to us. We have kept them in the house for 3 years now. Last year one decided he wanted to go outside. The other one stays in the house. They will ONLY eat Purina indoor food and the cat that likes to go outside, makes sure he is inside for dinner. Then 2 years ago a little black and white cat took up with my husband. We set her up in the workshop, locking her in at night. Time went on and she gave us 6 beautiful kitties. For 18 months every evening we would feed them small amount of canned food with their dried food and locked them in at night. Then one summer it was too hot to lock them in the shop, we took a deep breath and stopped locking them in. We are going on three years and althrough they are fairly tame to us, they are feral. The mouse and gopher population is down. Other cats have now joined us. I have counted up to 22 cats out in the barn. We give them all dry food but still see cats with a mouse or gopher in their mouths! My daughter asked me when sould she start worrying about how many cats we have, and I told her “when we start bringing them in the house”! We love them all and the whole neighborhood likes less mice and other rodents. Sadly we still have to bury a cat out in the orchard. Too close to the raod.

October 28, 2008 at 4:23 pm
(29) Sue says:

My fiance has adopted two feral cats, Sophie when she was a kitten, Baby at 4 years old. Neither one showed any interest in going back outside. My Abby only likes being outside in the safe confines of my mother’s screened gazebo (and the weather must be perfect), and Audrey (who I suspect was an indoor-outdoor or totally outdoor cat before her family gave her to a rescue) and Sebastian like to look out the door when we go in and out, but so far haven’t made an attempt to go outside. Audrey used to try to get into the common hallway when I was in an apartment, but she doesn’t seem as interested in the outdoors. Just in case, we have a fenced yard and are going to add pet screening so the smaller ones can’t get through the fence before we catch them if they happen to get into the yard.
My sister’s cats are indoor-outdoor, but every once in a while, one will disappear, and it is devastating to her. Luckily, so far, they’ve come back eventually, but someday they won’t. I wonder what she’ll tell her 3-year-old daughter when that happens.

October 28, 2008 at 8:23 pm
(30) poochiemama says:

Sounds like most of you are more protective of your cats than your own children. I tried keeping a cat inside all the time when I was a teen, but he was so depressed that I let him out. He loved to roam and and always came back home just like a prodigal child. He lived a happy life of 14 years and died peacefully in the wild–his choice, not mine. Gizmo would have been miserable had I not let him outside to roam and make friends. He will always and forever be my favorite kitty.

November 9, 2008 at 9:54 pm
(31) Angela Curran says:

Hello,

Where can you get the outdoor dog igloo? I have been trying for months to get a stray cat that was evidently abandoned or became lost to come inside. He will come in the kitchen to be fed, but it won’t stay inside–he is just too afraid.
With the winter coming, I am so worried about him.

Any tips about how to keep him warm or get him used to coming inside is appreciated–thanks!

December 27, 2008 at 2:41 pm
(32) sensitivenose says:

My neighbors adopt lean, strong cats, then keep them in the house. They say they are “rescued” and “friends”. they feed them well and give them advanced medical care. It’s a pity to see within a few months these cats become obese and atrophied. Then getting old, having hardly lived, they die of diabetes. These neighbors loudly proclaims “animal rights” and seem to think this is good. I don’t get it?
The other neighbors old cat walked my fence this cold morning then across the yard and effortlessly leaped the garden wall. He is sometimes indoors but seems to prefer outdoors. It is nice to see it given a choice.
Check this out. http://www.msdivine.net/felinebeauty/indoor.php

January 3, 2009 at 3:25 pm
(33) gord says:

um, when i was a kid we had this cat. lived to be 19 years old. It took on a full family of Martins (birds) once – 6 of them. It was a tuff cat. Got hit by a car when it was 10 years old – blinded her in one eye. Hehe, that didn’t stop her I assure you. She went outside whenever she wanted to. 4AM, 7PM whatever. No bird (including an owl) would have picked her up for long.

January 14, 2009 at 6:07 am
(34) glittershoelady says:

I wanted to comment on something about BEAUTIFUL Jenny. Sent my note how beautiful I think she is before adding this. I have a Dilute Calico and she has a tan spot on top of her head that looks like a comb has left it’s marks in it. She was from a feral colony I rescued. The Vet say it is kind of like a birthmark. He has seen it, but not like my cat, just in one spot, and said it is not too common. Looks like Jenny has a similar marking. I am an extreme cat lover and really look at cats. I have not seen this marking until I got my cat, then now with Jenny. No one I know has either. Any comments or information will be appreciated. Thank you

January 14, 2009 at 5:16 pm
(35) Franny Syufy says:

glittershoe: Thank you for the nice comments about Jenny. Yes, she has that “combed” spot on the top of her head. I had to go downstairs and double-check it after I read your comment. I’d never heard that it was a genetic trait before. Now I’ll have to pay more attention to photos I receive of cats.

January 16, 2009 at 11:28 am
(36) Lilly says:

I love cats and kept quite a few of them before I developed an allergy to them.They were indoor & outdoor cats, happy and very sociable. My obsevation of cats who keep trying to gt outside but are imprisoned inside anyway is that they develop some kind of unpleasant behavior. They are not happy cats.
My question now is, should I adopt the completely outdoor cat my neighbors left behind when they moved recently? I feed him and spent petting time with him on my porch yesterday, but I didn’t let him in because of my allergy. He’s a really nice cat, attractive and affectionate. Where would he go to get out of cold &/or wet weaather? I’m thinking about adding a cat door to my garage, but will he be ok in the meantime? Does anyone know what cats do for shelter when they are fending for themselves?
Dealing with a CATastrophe in Clovis…

January 19, 2009 at 12:18 pm
(37) Franny Syufy says:

Lilly:

I used part of your question for an article on protecting strays and ferals from the cold. You can see it here.

January 25, 2009 at 1:50 pm
(38) Mary says:

there are cats that love the outside and dont want to come inside

January 28, 2009 at 4:25 pm
(39) Kathy says:

I believe that cats should be kept indoors for safety reasons. I have two that I got from two different rescues who are always inside. I do believe however, that rescue places are denying many kittens and cats homes by demanding no declawing by adopters. Unfortunately, these animals can destroy property when inside.

January 29, 2009 at 5:13 pm
(40) Lilly says:

Allergy/smalergy: I wound up taking in Chi-Chi, who is now happily getting spoiled as my new roommate. Please remove my last name from the previous comment. Thanks!

February 5, 2009 at 3:21 pm
(41) Margie says:

I thought the same way, that cats should go in and out as they please. I thought I lived in a decent neighborhood and I let my cat Milo come and go. Milo loved outdoors. He was always waiting for me when I got home from work everyday. I had him fixed and he was the sweetest and the most gentle and friendly cat. Well, he disappeared two days and then my son found him in the neighbor’s hedges, unable to walk. The vet said he was NOT hit by a car but a blunt instrument by a mean neighbor and broke his tail and then he had trouble using the restroom, bladder and bowel. I washed him everday in the bathtub because he hated to be dirty. His tail had to be removed all the way, no nub at all. My vet found a neurologist to prescribe medicine to help him and the helped him live 3 years after the intentional harm that was done to him. I had to have him euthanized because the medicine just didn’t work anymore and he was in pain. I really hope that person has paid a deep price for what he/she did. I have an idea that it is one of two people but unable to prove it. I found my little Angel, a tortoise shell cat, here at work and she is just my baby. I am terrified to let her out. I take her out on a leash and that’s all. People are too mean and evil to let your animals enjoy the outdoors unless you supervise.

February 10, 2009 at 5:31 pm
(42) sharon says:

can anyone answer this for me. My cat hitched up with a female almost two weeks ago. both are not neutered. they were playing outside(winter) and i haven’t seen them since. Is this usual for cats to disappear like this

December 11, 2009 at 1:55 am
(43) john says:

My cat has always been on the wild side. We love him very much, but there is no way I will deprive him of his deepest desire: to be a cat. He likes to hunt and kill. He is very healthy and strong. Yes, he may get hit by a car or tangle with a dangerous animal, but he will live a fuller life than any pathetic house cat. It is far more cruel to “cage” these little tigers in the house. It’s selfish and unnatural. Cats ARE wild animals unless you take that away from them. My cat has his claws, and they are very long and sharp, and he knows how to use them. And he wants to use them. It is his utmost primal instinct. If you prefer to strip your cats of their dignity and identity, just so you can have a live stuffed animal, then you are nothing more than grown children who are too selfish to let these amazing animals do what they do best, be the little wild animals that they are. I love my cat too much too much to hold him captive against his will.

July 28, 2010 at 1:47 pm
(44) cori says:

i have 4 cats all of which go outside and i live in a city with barely any woods… i firmly believe cats should be allowed outside. They are hunting creatures and deserve to play and be happy i a large area. however they do have a curfew and sleep inside at night and have been doing so for nearly ten years… sure there are dangers but it’s no more dangerous for a cat than a human… I could just as easily walk outside and get hit by a bus or car or get into a car accident and DIE. i don’t think anyone should deprive their furry friends of a happy life. would you want to sit and stair out of the window your entire life? I have a dilemma though… I just got a puppy… my 3 yr. old absolutely loves him, but my cat buddy goes after him and growls by the sight of him, now he is mad and no signs of him coming around, he is even lashing out at the whole family he is a big 16 lbs and starting to get vicious. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what i should do? i am so torn up about it :(

October 23, 2010 at 7:33 am
(45) jeff says:

my cat was originally a stray. I tried everything to keep her an indoor cat. But after a few years, If she is alone in the house while I am gone, she will mark – PERIOD. So those who would lecture me about letting my cat out can keep their bloody, self-righteous lectures to themselves. I discussed the situation with my vet and HE SUGGESTED I let her be an outdoor cat rather than turn her into the SPCA and have her live the rest of her life in cage. So far, it is working to keep her in at night and let her come and go if I’m home. But if I am not home, she has to stay outside – That is the way it must be.

October 29, 2010 at 12:34 am
(46) LizinSATX says:

I’m reading some of these oldass judgemental comments & they have no basis! Cats naturally live outside so why would you think it’s “wrong” for them to be outside? But its ok for them to live inside a man-made structure such as a house? Something that isn’t even natural?
What are you cleaning your floors with? & do u have carpet? What kind of chemicals does it have? So now the shoe is on the other foot, try that on for size.
I have one full time inside cat that I will allow outside playtime like he use to enjoy before we moved, once the cat run is finished. & I have one full time free roam cat that lives outdoors. I don’t have to worry about her but I do my indoor cat, he doesn’t have the fear & instinct that is typical in cats yet I see how badly he wants to go out so iam providing him that outdoor time. I think you should accommodate your cat, does your cat want to be in or out or both? If your cat is begging to join nature (its natural state) then u should provide that for your cat otherwise (I’m going to be judgemental here) SHAME ON U!

November 6, 2010 at 12:28 am
(47) James says:

I understand the sentiments of those who want to see “All” cats inside, but being militant on behalf of the cats fails to see the entire picture. There are reasons that certain cats are outside cats, some of which are covered in the comments here already.

I, for one, have an -extreme- cat allergy. Extended contact will send me to the hospital. My family lives an a very rural area, and a neighbor brought us a stray that they found on the highway, which is mostly used by long-haul semi drivers. This neighbor doesn’t have the resources to properly care for the cat, but wanted to see it safe.

We live a long ways off the road, so they brought it to us. It can’t come inside. We’ve tried to re-home it to someone who can bring it in, but the low population here has made it slow going. So it will likely be spending the winter outside.

Is this a rare circumstance? Yes. Is it a valid circumstance? Yes. At least the cat won’t be running wild through the winter, with the danger of roads and no steady care. And at least there are resources like this to help me keep the cat as warm and safe as possible until a more permanent, comfortable solution can be found for both the cat and owner.

November 8, 2010 at 12:54 am
(48) Ana says:

Margie — I am so sorry to hear what happened to your baby. This is exactly the reason I keep my adopted kitten indoors, to keep her from sadistic cruel people who think outside animals are theirs to torture or kill.

Catmom — I totally agree with all your points besides the TNR program. People never think of letting dogs roam free, so why make cats suffer out in the cold? I’m sorry, but walking your dog around the block for 5 minutes a day isn’t letting it fulfill its wild instincts either, now is it?

For those of you who say you have tried to take in feral cats and they claw, spray, cry to be let out, etc… spaying and neutering will decrease this behavior. Also it will take some time for these cats to adjust to a new space, perhaps they will never adjust, but you have to be willing to work and accept the responsibility just like you deal with dogs chewing stuff in the house, barking, potty training, and everything else that comes with owning a dog.

I’m sick of this stigma the whole world has had with cats. Throughout history, cats have been stigmatized, from the middle ages as witches to even modern society where owning a cat automatically makes someone a “cat lady.”

And honestly, cut the allergies excuse because I’ve lived with severe dog and cat allergies for the past seven years and that hasn’t stopped me from adopting cats and volunteering at the local animal shelter. I don’t think that having the SNIFFLES is a good excuse for people to abandon their pets (many ads online for pets are from owners who have developed allergies). It’s a lame excuse and if you must abandon your pets to shelters at least tell the truth and admit that it’s because you are lazy and won’t deal with allergies.

December 12, 2010 at 1:35 am
(49) Sherri says:

Well, my parents have had a cat for the past 14 years, and she’s been an ‘outdoor’ cat her entire life. She loves it. You cannot keep her in the house unless it is really cold. We live in the Northeast, so when winter blows in, she mostly wants to stay inside. But in the warmer weather, she likes nothing better than to hang out in the field next to the house and catch mice. On the other hand, I just took in a stray about two months ago. The poor thing was literally starving. Now, he’s quite a big guy, and I always have to be careful when leaving the house because he SO wants to get outside.

January 20, 2011 at 3:52 pm
(50) hrivera91 says:

There are some very ignorant comments on here and some that make sense and only a few I agree with. I have a cat that due to allergies is an outdoor cat. He is HUGE and has long sharp claws and I have seen him eating at least two birds and one squirrel outside on my front lawn. Now I live in town about half a block from a college and yet my cat is about as wild as they come. I feed him, have a collar on him and take him to the vet for checkups and if anything ever happens to him because he is my cat. BUT, anytime I have ever tried to make him come inside (because of snow or whatever) he just stands in the doorway and stares at me, if I make him come in he literally whines loudly nonstop until I let him out and as soon as the front door is open he bolts. One morning my husband and I woke up really early (it was about 25 degrees outside) and looked out the window and there he was standing in the back yard hunting a bird and looking for all the world like a happy, content cat who was doing exactly what nature intended.
Everyone here will have a tough time convincing me that he belongs indoors!!!

February 5, 2011 at 6:29 pm
(51) Ana says:

Another quick comment to those who think taking a domesticated cat and plopping him outside, because it is “wild” and can handle it need to remember that we have been domesticating cats for thousands of years. They are not the same physically as they were when they were indeed wild. It’s like taking a modern day human and throwing him into the Ice Age and expecting him to survive, because our ancestors did it easily.

Not only have our cats changed over the years, but our environment has. Modern day things like cars, antifreeze, and chemicals can kill cats. The “nature” image you have in your head of a cat roaming free in the green grass and catching bugs sometimes is not reality. The reality is concrete, cars, metal, disease, and colonies of unwanted cats because these cats aren’t spayed or neutered and are living in urban and suburban areas where there are more “outdoor” pet cats per square mile than in a rural setting and reproduce more quickly.

February 5, 2011 at 8:14 pm
(52) Franny Syufy says:

Beautifully said Ana! I could not say it better myself. I appreciate both this comment and your earlier one. I have severe asthma, and I am able to control it and write about cats for almost 14 years. (I have 4 – all indoors, NOT declawed).

Thanks for shedding more light on the topic and in such a no-nonsense way.

Franny

February 6, 2011 at 11:55 pm
(53) Kate says:

I’ve got a six year old cat. She was a stray that found us. She lived outdoors with my dog, lab., for five years. She loved being outside. When it was cold the dog and cat sheltered together in the garage with a heat lamp. We lived in the country and the cat certainly controlled all the outside acreage and was a great hunter and incredibly fast. She played, climbed and enjoyed all of it and never wanted inside. Shortly before we moved to a neigborhood with close neighbors, the dog died. Now the cat spends alot of time in the house seeking attention but still loves the outdoors. She doesn’t like to be cold without her dog to snuggle. If we still had the dog, I don’t think she would care much about coming in.

November 27, 2011 at 9:07 am
(54) rose says:

I have. Three cats and one is very skitish of people. But she let’s me holder I think its her enviroment my friends keep them outside all the time and I have found them a new how but I’m wondering if. A cat can survive in the rain or should be brought indoors

December 19, 2011 at 1:13 pm
(55) Cheryl says:

I’m appalled to hear how many “cat lovers” don’t support TNR. In a perfect world, every cat would have a home and somebody to feed and take care of it. We don’t live in that world. I take care of 2 feral colonies that live a good a life. Many of the cats in my colony are 10+ years old, and they live right smack in the middle of a bunch of office buildings. There are about 25 of them now. When there were kittens, I would trap them and get them out while they were young enough to be rehabilitated into pets.I have shelters for them hidden all over the place and they are fed twice a day every day, no matter what. TNR is the solution to the problem of ferals that breed out of control. Their quality of life is good, as long as they have somebody that’s willing to step up and do the right thing. My personal cats don’t go outside, but to make a blanket statement that all cats belong indoors is naive.

December 20, 2011 at 7:10 am
(56) E says:

Um… Franny? How cold can it actually *be* there? (-:

December 20, 2011 at 1:19 pm
(57) Franny Syufy says:

It has already been below freezing on a few nights. We’ve seen icy spots on the winding roads several times at 9 or 10 a.m. Not nearly as cold as your area, though, E. :-)

December 21, 2011 at 12:40 am
(58) E says:

Actually, it has only been below freezing a few times here, too.

So far.

December 22, 2011 at 5:25 pm
(59) linn says:

i have feral cats and they like being outdoors–they would never come in even when we have held the door open..i let my house cats out–they definitely like to go out for a while—i believe that animals should have some grass and dirt under their paws–it is very healthy and not being in a man made synthetic jungle all the time—GOD did not intend for all animals to be held captive. in a home – cage -or fish bowl….also that is why it is so important to take your animals for a walk and run in a park—they just go crazy at the freedom.

December 24, 2011 at 9:56 am
(60) Cynthia says:

I am interested in making the reflective mats that you can buy at the pet store, but the material says aluminum polyester filling which I can’t find at the fabric stores or online. Any ideas?
I agree, I have 5 feral/abandoned cats indoors, and 3 outdoors which cannot tolerate being in, and one fights the others (which is why they’re separated), so I use the Snuggle Safe disks sandwiched between these reflective mats (they’re the ones that have the leopard pattern), and then I made a cave with a box and several blankets & comforters over each one.
So, any help on the aluminum polyester filling is appreciated.

January 30, 2012 at 6:06 pm
(61) Sarah says:

Well, this is an interesting debate for me as I live in Britain where it is VERY unusual to hear of cats whose owners never let them out. It does happen, but it tends to be owners of very expensive persian type cats used for showing who aren’t allowed out in case they get dirty! I can’t believe the person from the animal shelter who says that they won’t rehome a cat to someone who would be happy to let it out. If that happened here the shelters would be overrun and cats would be being euthanised. I totally understand the arguments for keeping cats inside, particularly at night or in cold weather. However, my cats love playing in my garden, and I love watching them chase each other through the grass and rolling around in the sunshine. It surely can’t be healthy for any animal to never ever get any fresh air or feel the sun and wind in their fur? Imagine how unhealthy any other mammal would be, including we humans, if we never went out of the house!! My vet tells me that as long as you don’t live near a busy road (which I don’t), keep your cats up to date with vaccinations, flea and worm treatments etc (which I do), and try to ensure they’re not out at night or in bad weather (which I achieve 99% of the time as my cats LIKE being out and I occasionally struggle to get them to come in!) then letting your cats go outside is fine and any risk to them is fairly small.

February 20, 2012 at 9:20 am
(62) Hayley says:

My cats an outdoor/indoor cat and hes just fine and has been his whole life. He goes out around the neighborhood and there arent really any other animals that roam around freely so they cant hurt him. We live in a small neighborhood with not much traffic and he wears a collar. He has a little dog house in our patio and food and water there and he knows where our house is so its not like he will starve. I dont see whats the big deal with it. As long as you learn about the neighborhood and make sure its safe then there is little chance that anything will harm them. My cat is so happy to be outside he just loves it and I cant imagine keeping him inside

June 7, 2012 at 12:44 pm
(63) Mikey says:

Marthy — hear, hear!!!

The problem is all these city folks who have NO CLUE what animals are like on the farm. Anybody who has seen mousers thriving in cold states know cats love being outside.

Animals were born to live outdoors. It is only us pet owners that have decided to impose indoor living on them. The don’t “belong” inside any more than a fish “belongs” in a tank!

So feel free to keep your indoor pets. But for goodness sake, knock that chip off your shoulder when you look down your nose at those of us who permit our pets to live where they truely belong. OUTSIDE!

June 16, 2012 at 5:10 pm
(64) Franny Syufy says:

Mikey, you are missing the entire point of my post. It refers to ways of keeping outside cats (such as farm/barn cats) from freezing during cold weather. (Speaking of chips on shoulders.)

July 16, 2012 at 4:27 pm
(65) Breanna says:

Even if indoor cats are proved to have longer lives than outdoor cats I still let my cats outside because they would be miserable never being able to go outside where they truly belong. (Well at least most cats.) Those types of cats should be able to go outside when they please and should only be kept inside at night because otherwise they would have a healthy but miserable life and who would want that. Imagine how you would feel if you were never able to go outside your whole entire life. Yeah maybe you would have food and a place to sleep but I would go crazy without getting some fresh air at least once a day, and it’s not any different for cats.

July 16, 2012 at 4:32 pm
(66) Breanna says:

I’m not arguing with the post by the way.. I am arguing to all the people who say cats shouldn’t be allowed outside because of all the dangers in the outdoors

July 18, 2012 at 2:36 pm
(67) Franny Syufy says:

Breanna, take a look at this blog and its comments, for a different perspective.

October 31, 2012 at 8:41 pm
(68) Jessa says:

Cats are born Hunters. Rats and mice are at bay because of my babies. it’s okay to have an indoor cat if you choose. mine are outside happy and healthy for 3 years now is there a risk yes but there’s a risk for me to go outside to. there’s no guarantee I’ll return home today. no one’s promised tomorrow and I won’t live my life in fear.

November 19, 2012 at 10:51 pm
(69) david says:

2 wonderful cats, they come in during the day and nap, nap, nap – typically on our bed upstairs. At night, they like to hunt, so out they go. We always try to get them in before going to bed, and on the few occasions that they do come in, they always begin yelling to be let out around 2 or 3 a.m. so… out they go.

I live in Maine, and it’s currently 31 degrees out, but they tend to find some lovely warm places out there. They come in hungry and happy in the morning and are the most loving little creatures in the world.

November 25, 2012 at 6:19 am
(70) nada says:

hi, i read some of the comments, i live in sydeny, i bought a kitten found it near my daughter school, where their mother left , my cat now is 9 months old, i love her too much, i know she like to go sometimes out, so i trained her for the leach, and i open the balcony to her to walk as i live at the ground floor, its fine with her, now i have to go overseas, i will take her with me …coz i feel guilty if i just leave her after i trained her to be a home cat, she is so cute, she is sleeping next to me now , i think she thinks iam her mom, but what iam surprised of a video i watched how cats and dogs are being killed in an ugly and unhumanity way in china, vitname and other countries, since i watched that video and i feel sorry for all animals, and i pray for them all the time….i love u all, love who have tender hearts, who care for pets, as god told us….

December 10, 2012 at 8:31 pm
(71) Elle in MN says:

Wow. Talk about a lot of self-righteous cat owners! I read every single comment, and not once did I hear any one of you so adamant about allowing your cat to roam outdoors mention how your neighbors might feel about it, let alone the laws most cities have in place about animals wandering on their own! Apparently, this is of no concern to you and you are all above the laws. It is a concern to me however, your neighbor. I live in the house next door, or across the street, or down the alley on the right or WHEREVER YOUR CAT MAY ROAM! I’m the one who frankly is a little tired of having your cat take a dump in my garden, spray the tires on my Jeep when its parked in my own driveway, rip the screens out of my basement windows, howl under my window and keep me awake all night, and kill the song birds and squirrels in my yard I’ve been trying to attract for the past decade. I’m also the one who has had to scrape the guts of your dead feline off the road in front of my house…7 in the past 10 years, to be exact…because you thought it was ok to let your cat run amuck. For the record, more than half of those dead cats had collars, and I did not contact one single owner. If you are too stupid to let your cats run wild, you don’t deserve to know what happened to them. I hope you’re still looking. I have a cat of my own. One I took in because I felt sorry for it, even though I have allergies. I get allergy shots once a month for the privilege. I don’t let him roam, even though when he first arrived I know that’s all he wanted to do. Why? Because he is a DOMESTICATED ANIMAL…just like your cat is. And because I abide by the laws of my town, and I am a good neighbor. I also have a dog. You should all be very thankful I don’t let him run on his own to rip up your property and do what dogs love to do. Though after reading all these posts, maybe I should. I could get a couple of more and let them run as a pack…after all, dogs by nature like to run in packs.

December 17, 2012 at 12:15 am
(72) Alexis says:

I personally do not understand at all why people let their cats outside. It literally pains me to see them out there suffering in the heat, cold, rain, snow…it is disgusting to me. Our neighbors recently moved away and left their cats outside. My family and I have been caring for the 2 cats. We’ve been feeding them, and giving them water. I took both of the cats to PetSmart because after awhile my friends gave in and said that they would take them in. We couldn’t have them in my house because my grandmother is allergic to them. I am so sad about that everyday, but I am glad that I could find them a good home. However, when I got them both tested for Rabies, Leukemia, and FIV, only one came out negative for FIV. I was devastated. My friends gladly took the one cat who doesn’t have FIV, but we couldn’t have the other around her or she would infect her. Now I am currently trying to find a home for Belle. I feel so badly for her. She is only around 1 and a half and could have a very long life to live. I cannot take her to the shelter and have her put to sleep. She could live for ten years or more. We keep feeding her and try giving her shelter but she will not go into the little area we made her. She thankfully does keep eating and drinking and is so friendly and sweet. I have truly fallen in love with her and I am trying so hard to find someone who will care and love and give shelter to a sweet adorable cat who is stuck with this sickness because her owners decided to let her outside and never back in…it pains me so bad. I go out with her all hours of the night. She is so full of life. Right now it is raining outside and pretty chilly, and we’ve made a little dry area for her but she will not stay in it for some reason. ANy ideas? I keep going out and checking on her and drying her off. I really want to help this little girl and I really could use some advice. Please help.

December 17, 2012 at 3:44 am
(73) Franny Syufy says:

Alexis, my son is in a V.A. rehab facility, where they have several semi-feral cats on the grounds. He and several other patients have befriended the oldest cat, Midnight, a small but very fluffy black cat. We live in Northern California which had the recent severe storms originating in Hawaii.

My son was distressed to see that Midnight was sleeping in a cardboard box with just a plastic grocery bag in the bottom. I ordered a Petmate Kitty Cat Condo from Amazon ($100 with free shipping with a Prime membership) and a Thermal Cat Mat (reflects body heat for warmth).

We were surprised and delighted that Midnight took to it right away and doesn’t stray far from it. Midnight has a symbiotic relationship with the patients who are “cat men/women”. She provides cat therapy, and they provide food, shelter, and love. (We’re also going to try to find a local veterinarian who will give her much-needed dental care at a discount.)

If you don’t mind the cost, you might try a similar arrangement for Belle. Good luck, and bless you for caring for this poor abandoned girl.

January 19, 2013 at 10:23 am
(74) JAJ says:

I am so worry about my cat and he is 17 years old and he won’t come inside all and all night he sleep outside at toilet in my back garden. i have been try make him stay inside and make him gone mad so i have to let him out…. I am worry cos weather get too cold now what i should do to with him.. I don’t like cruel… I have leave hot bottle in blanket at outside toilet room…

October 23, 2013 at 12:12 pm
(75) Claudia Thompson says:

Way back when I was younger and did not know any better, I had 3 cats who either got run over or stolen because I let them outside. Now I would never allow my cat outside. It is so sad when they get run over. I had to have one put to sleep and the other was just killed instantly. People ought to read up online about all the bad things that can happen to cats if you let them outside.

October 29, 2013 at 12:03 am
(76) Sue says:

We have several Persians. We bought 2, 10 by 15 ft dog runs & built the the ultimate 2 story cat home, for less than 1000.00 dollars, with furniture from around the home, all weather tarps & Blankets & my Husbands carpentry skills. It fits perfectly in our one section of patio against the window to our den. In summer 110 to 120, I open the window & completely inclose the home & it stays A steady 80. In winter, they are in heaven. Still protected from frigged freezes. They are allowed out during the day & they all return at dusk, due to dinner time. Now, however; we do live in A rural area & there is no traffic to contend with. The wild animals are deterred due to our 5 dogs that keep there feline buddies protected. All in all I think they are in heaven on earth here. I told my Husband that these cats & dogs have A better life than some Humans, & that BOTHERS ME!!, but; these family members rely on us for there home & life they have with us. I just wish we could help more helpless animals.

October 29, 2013 at 5:07 pm
(77) Elaine says:

I have 4. I love them NONE of them go out. The real reason cats MUST be kept indoors is because they are depleting the rare song bird populations to dangerous extinction levels. If you want an “out” kitty put her/him on a leash and train them. If they want to be out take them “Supervised”. The exploding cat population is because of stupid humans. It is everyones responsibility to take care of our “wildlife” as well as “domestic” life.

Most vets concur cats live long, happy and healthy lives indoors.

February 7, 2014 at 12:40 am
(78) Jeannie says:

I recently moved into a small house on a farm owned by a small family. They have two barn cats, that live outside. I am in Montana and it is currently -22 and was -27 last night.
There isn’t a door on the barn and they just have hay to sleep on. This breaks my heart. I don’t know what to do since I am extremely allergic to cats. I really want to bring them inside, and just went out and covered them with some sheets, since I don’t have anything else and it’s 10 p.m. What should I do? Do outside cats cause fewer allergic reactions, because I want to bring them in. Can cats survive thus kind of weather?

March 22, 2014 at 5:29 pm
(79) Anne says:

My cat smokie .is allowed to be in or out as he pleases unless the weather is extremely bad then i keep him in .he seems to understand that as he goes to see what the weather is like before he goes out .
I want him to be happy and safe but i wouldnt dream of imprisoning him hes an animal not a baby .even if i do wonder sometimes when he wants loving like a baby does .i would love for him to be indoors then i need not worry .but in his case he would be very unhappy and difficult to deal with .i love him to bits and just want him to have a proper and full life

March 26, 2014 at 1:26 pm
(80) Dee W says:

To the cat owners who say a cat should never be outside: I just can’t imagine a reverse world run by cats who would not allow their pet humans outside. Each of us is different . . . . and so are cats. If the cat wants outdoors for a few hours, what’s the problem? My two cats — quite different — run in and out of the house most of the day. The one that was born in our home dashes back in at the sound of a truck horn, and never likes to go out at night. The one brought in from outside when he got lost (3 months old) loves to roam at night, as he probably once did with his mother. I realize the dangers outside, but this little fellow has had six wonderful years of romping through the neighborhood. Bottom line: if Zoe prefers indoors, so be it! If Socks hits the road all day long, so be it

April 14, 2014 at 8:51 pm
(81) Joy says:

I just got a Persian kitten three months old. He was suppose to be an indoor cat ONLY. Then one day I let him follow me outside, and my God, did he love the outdoors. He began jumping in the garden, catching flies, rolling in the dirt, scratching on the tree trunks, he just went nuts!! So I think if you can monitor or you are sure your cat is safe outside and everything opening is closed, then there is no problems letting him or her get some fresh air. I also have a ragdoll almost eight years old, again she is an inside and outside cat. Until now, she has been fine, happy and both cats know when it comes to 6pm, they are to be in my bedroom sleeping and when it comes to 9pm, its bungalow time where the door is shut and they both have their food, water, milk, litre trays and soft pet beds to sleep in. Come 6am, they are both out and playing as normal. They do not stay outdoors, when they are tired, they jump on my Window sil to come inside and sleep on my bed. I work from home so I can do that for them. They have what is called; the best of both worlds, but once again they are also monitored and where I have a large gate, there is a steel fence.