1. Home

Franny Syufy

Cat Names: What's in a Name?

By December 15, 2013

Naming cats can be great fun. But when adopting a cat from a rescue or shelter, is it necessary to keep the name? Our new little kitten Gaither (pictured below), was once named "Faith," by his foster mom. (She had another little female cat named Hope.)

When Faith was taken to the foster shelter veterinarian to be spayed, the veterinarian made a note in her file, "Neutered male kitten, Faith." I sure don't blame the kind-hearted foster, after all, I've made the same mistake myself at least once. Gaither is such a strange name, and I didn't ask his foster mom how she chose it. But I looked the meaning up online and found that it means "goat keeper" or "goatherd." Since my son sometimes calls our Billy "Billy Goat," or just "Goat," it seemed kind of fitting, so we stayed with the name Gaither. Besides, we didn't want the little guy to have an identity crisis at his young age.

How did you choose a name for your cat? From a real-life hero, a fictitious character from a book, movie or video game, perhaps a song title? Share your cat's name here in the comments, with a little information about your cat and the circumstances behind his or her name.

Comments

December 6, 2012 at 5:43 pm
(1) Barry333 says:

Newman was named by his rescue foster mother, The name came from a character in a popular TV show at the time. We just kept the name. He gained the appellation Brave after he was locked in the linen closet overnight as a kitten and was brave enough to keep from wetting the towels.

December 6, 2012 at 5:58 pm
(2) Franny Syufy says:

Hi Barry! I’m guessing Seinfeld. I’m sure glad you added the “Brave” to his name, ’cause the poor little tyke sure was brave during that experience!.

December 6, 2012 at 11:52 pm
(3) zoo says:

I have a Neko, Koshka, and Mau. Neko came first. I’m not very good with coming up with names (for example: I have had three newts named Mr. Newt [English, Spanish and French], and a Mr. Turtle, and the current turtle is just Turtle), so I ended up looking up words for cat in other languages. Neko (Japanese) was the best name sounding word I came across and it stuck. Sometimes we call her Neko-boo, or, rarely, just boo because she is almost all black.
Then I recently adopted a brother and sister pair of kittens, so I looked around and found an even better source of words for cat. Koshka (Russian) is the girl (also Koshkanut), and Mau (Chinese) is the boy. These fit, because they are most definitely all cats :P (and Koshka is a nut).

December 7, 2012 at 6:35 am
(4) Pete Hanson says:

My oldest cat is mostly white with brown markings, with an absolutely perfect mustache and soul patch that covers his entire maw. It looks exactly like he had his face buried in a bowl of butterscotch pudding – so, his name was easy: Butterscotch.

When I got my 2nd cat, she turned out to be white with black markings, and an oversized Groucho Marx-like mustache. It was obvious to me that I had to come up with something that would go along with Butterscotch, and I eventually settled on Pudding. (If I had to do it again, Mocha might have been a better name for her, but Pudding she remains.)

December 7, 2012 at 8:28 am
(5) Writa says:

Hi, I have four boys, all from the same litter. Their mother was a stray whom we used to feed. One evening she decided to bring her kittens to our home and now they are MY boys. They are named Frodo, Sam, Merry and Pippin- after the hobbits from The Lord of the Rings. Having gotten four of them together, it was too cute to resist naming them like that!

December 7, 2012 at 5:54 pm
(6) Beth says:

I have three girls – Guinevere, Diana and Catherine, all shelter rescues. For some reason I have always had a thing for British royalty. I enjoy the Arthurian legend as well, so when I adopted my first cat I named her Guinevere. A few months later it was obvious Guinny needed a feline companion, so I adopted Diana, named for the late Princess of Wales who I idolized as a small child. A few months ago I adopted a senior cat and she became Catherine, after the Duchess of Cambridge. All three of my kitties are royalty in their own right!

December 8, 2012 at 7:50 pm
(7) Lori says:

My husband and I adopted a Maine Coon from a local rescue. We didn’t like his original name so we wanted to give him one better suited for him. Since he was a 6 month old kitten (weighing in at 15 lbs) and being a breed from Maine we settled on Moose. Moose has been with us since 05′ and is now 24 lbs and happy.

December 9, 2012 at 6:39 pm
(8) donna says:

my husband brought home 6 week old Dusty in 1996. she was gray and white and looked liked she had dust on her coat. shr lloked as if she may be part persian as she was so fluffy. several people told us she was a pretty kitty and Dusty was the perfect name. she is now 16, and has slowed down quite a bit.

December 10, 2012 at 2:24 pm
(9) debra says:

my cats name is sassy, i got her after losing patches after 18 years, i hears the naame after a ad on the radio using sassy instead of lassie. i fell in love with that name and when i got my cat i named her sassy. needless to say she has a lot of sassy in her.

December 10, 2012 at 5:13 pm
(10) Eric says:

Tatters was apparently the name of my mother’s favorite doll when she was young. When we were brought a dirty, injured kitten she thought the name would fit. I’m proud to say that our Tatters is now in great health and has the whitest fur you could imagine. Frodo, Pippin and Sam all came from The Lord of the Rings.

December 11, 2012 at 4:55 am
(11) Marion BE says:

We’ve found names come from each cat, most of whom have been rescue kitties: Bob got his name for his stumpy tail — at some time in his life it’d been damaged. Ghost because you can see him in the dark, being all white. Socks, well his photo shows the inevitability of his name, with his white paws. Trouble I stopped my car for on the highway verge during morning city trafficjam and had in my office all day!

December 12, 2012 at 9:10 am
(12) Sandra says:

I have a Siamise cat named Chloe. I got her from a shelter 2 years ago. Her name was Chloe.I was going to change it but as she grew, I realized that she has the perfect name that was just for her. She truly is the Chloe-patra of our neighborhood. She walks like a queen and she demands like the queen she is. We love her so much!!

December 12, 2012 at 4:19 pm
(13) Charlene says:

My kitty, Comfort, was named because I got him just before my mean ex-husband & I split up. He was a comfort and a distraction to me when things in my life were very unsettling. He was a cute all black puff ball who was very loving & sweet and a wonderful reason to come back home after my split.
I also saw the word ‘comfort’ on a calendar for the month of July when I found him that had cats and scripture. The scripture read ‘Blessed be the God of all comfort…’ and so I decided that Comfort would be a great name for him.
By the way, the founder of Tiffany’s was named Louis Comfort Tiffany. I hear that Comfort and Consider were popular men’s names many years ago (according to what I heard on Antiques Roadshow). All of this together let me know that I had chosen the right name for this wonderful cat that I love so much.

December 13, 2012 at 1:37 pm
(14) Mike Rice says:

We had an American Short Hair Tabby named Jethro who was named after Jethro TULL the singer/songwriter by our teenage son. Jethro was a large boy, 23 pounds, and not an ounce of fat on him. He came to live with my wife and I when he was 3 years old. Our son moved and asked us if Jethro could stay with us for a couple of months because the apartment he rented didn’t allow pets. That 2 months ended up being 15 years that we were blessed with Jethro’s companionship. He died at home of old age a year ago. He was a good cat and is missed dearly.

December 13, 2012 at 1:42 pm
(15) Ruth says:

I had an Alien a few years back. He was a Devon Rex rescue: overweight, bald, orange, and no teeth. First time my mother saw him, she said “Oh my god! What is that? It looks like ET!” so he became the Alien. He was the sweetest cat, though – a real snuggle bunny. He was elderly, and had medical issues, so I didn’t get to live with him long = but I loved him dearly.

December 13, 2012 at 1:44 pm
(16) Sue says:

I have two cats, one calico and the other marmalade. The calico, who had her left hind leg amputated at the knee, is Rachel, both a Biblical name and in honor of a friend.

The marmalade is Archie. He’s named for a cat my friend Marian had, and who died. He has had several names – originally “Honey” (which wasn’t so great for a male), then Oliver, and now Archie. Both came from a friend who does cat rescue.

December 13, 2012 at 1:52 pm
(17) Landy says:

I rescued my all- black cat out of a parking lot over 2 years ago. She was about 6 months old, and although I never considered a kitty, she won my heart. I named her Ebony, but usually call her Ebby. When we are being silly, I say “Ebbykin”– and her ears will still perk up at the sound of her name. Ebby rescued me as much as I did her. She is happy, much loved and gives love in return. Ebby is an inside cat and wants to be close to her “mama” at all times, which is fine by me. Ebby enjoys being groomed and licking water from the bathroom tap. What a blessing to have her!

December 13, 2012 at 1:58 pm
(18) Denise says:

my cat , evie,was a feral cat who was born in a cemetery. i delivered auto parts and other equipment parts to the caretakers there, and i had mentioned i wanted a new kitten to one of the men. he told me i was in luck, one of the feral cats who hung out there (the men fed them and let them live in their equipment barn) had just had kittens. a couple weeks later he brought me this sweet little furball that i named evie, after the cemetery, evergreen cemetery.

December 13, 2012 at 2:27 pm
(19) Dorothy says:

Two of my guys have somewhat unusual names. Uncle E started out as Echo, because he “echoed” his sister’s trouble-making ways. A while later, another cat came inside to have kittens (sigh), and he turned into a wonderful uncle cat. But Uncle Echo just didn’t sound right, so he’s now Uncle E. Those kittens went to good homes, BTW. Then there’s Stinkerbelly. She’s a small(ish) calico who showed up on my doorstep one night. Like Uncle E’s sister, she turned out to be a little trouble-maker. Her original name of Tinkerbelle changed into Stinkerbelle at first — and then she figured out she could get out of any trouble merely by rolling over on her back and displaying her pretty white tummy. Hence … Stinkerbelly. It’s nice that we can better reflect our cats’ personalities with slightly altered names! :)

December 13, 2012 at 2:29 pm
(20) Cc says:

The maintenance man found her under a bush with 6 newborn kittens. First thing in the morning he was to take them to a high-kill animal shelter. I refused to get involved, again! I had already ‘adopted’ the feistiest cat on the planet from this Apt. complex. But later that night I couldn’t stop thinking of the new mom and her babes and decided to at least give her a warm blanket and some food and water. It was dark, damp and cold and when I seen this pathetic skinny creature- a kitten herself I gathered them all up and hid her on the back porch for 3 months. All the kittens got homes and her name is Misty – she was found in the mist of bushes. She is the most beautiful light gray and white Tuxedo cat I’d ever seen. And it’s a match made by heaven and I love her dearly.

December 13, 2012 at 2:43 pm
(21) Lorraine Zanzonico says:

Last year at the end of April, my kitten was given to me. He was just born on March 20, 2011 and he was a tiny little thing- adorable and cute. White and light tan coat and hazel eyes.

I wanted to name him with a Z name. Zeena was a girl’s name and Zeno would be the boy’s name. I didn’t like Zeno, so I called him a nickname of Zeno – it would be Zeenie.

December 13, 2012 at 2:45 pm
(22) Carol says:

Crockett and Tasha are brother and sister Maine Coon brown tabbies with white markings. Born at Christmastime, we gave them seasonal names. Crockett references his bushy tail (think Davey Crockett’s coonskin cap) and the shepherd’s crook. Tasha is from Natasha which refers to the nativity.
Younger half brother Jaspurr is a red and white Maine Coon. He is named for the red mineral (Jasper) and the engine company since his motor never quits! His sister Callie (named for a Calla lilly) is black, brown and white. Both came home at Easter.
We want our pet names to have meaning and work very hard at coming up with just the right moniker.

December 13, 2012 at 3:40 pm
(23) abellemed says:

Brambles is not what he sounds like! He is one of my 2 Spanish cats, inherited by me when my son moved back to UK last year. His name comes from the time when my son’s wife had rescued them from the “campo” as wild feral tiny kittens, she had tamed them so as they grew she naturally had them neutered. Well, Pepper (as he was then called) sported a magnificent set of brown b….s, so when they went, she decided to honour him by giving him a new name, ie Brownballs, which of course became Brambles, as by then she had a new little baby human boy, my first grandson! I now have adopted Brambles and his sister, Sassy (was Salt as a kitten!) back in UK as my dear Spanish cats. They hate the cold and snuggle on (and in) my bed nowadays. They have adapted very well and play with my own cat, Henry. But when I call them in I still have to shout “Gattos”!!!

December 13, 2012 at 5:57 pm
(24) Dale says:

My cat’s name is “LUCKY”–I was on my way out of town and saw what I thought was a turtle in the middle of a major highway. I made a “U” turn and pulled up by the critter–I always stop and get turtles off the highway.

I was just in time to save it from a semi truck–needless, to say what would have happened!! When I got close I then thought it was a stuffed animal in the highway. I walked over and then saw it was a kitten. I still do not know how it got there? I scooped it up off of the highway. Now I had a problem?? I decided “GOD” must have placed me there at the right time to save this kitten. I was trying to decide on a name–highway or semi–I said to my self this cat is really “LUCKY” that I showed up so that was the end of the story. LUCKY is now about 7 to 8 pounds!

December 13, 2012 at 7:40 pm
(25) Devin Grayson says:

We have a lovely gray/brown mackerel tabby DMH named Cricket. I think mostly we just liked the sound of it, but it suits her perfectly as she is very bouncy and talkative with a high, squeaky voice. She has also mastered the silent meow, which I suspect is actually a meow pitched above our hearing range. It’s accompanied by a hysterical little head bob that totally reads as “S’up?” She is so cute

We also had a kitten named Kusa–the Japanese word for “grass,” and the nickname for a ninja in “sleeper” status in a community. And before her was Bean, who just…was (a bean…and therefore was sometimes called “Isabean”).

December 13, 2012 at 10:24 pm
(26) Maria Cantu says:

Funny story about my cats’ names. I was told that Louie was a female so I name him “Lucy” after Lucille Ball because of his orange/red coat. When I took her/him, the vet told me she was a he; so, I had to change Lucy to Louie. The same happened to Olivia, her original name was Oscar and after his/her check up I was inform he was a she and so I changed it to Olivia.

December 13, 2012 at 10:36 pm
(27) Kathy says:

I brought Jingles home last December 19, from a rescue for which I volunteer. I wanted a holiday name, given the timing, and was tossing around other names such as Holly, Noel and Merry. She was so timid and shy while at the shelter. But the name Jingles fits her perfectly. The world is her toy. She is always amusing herself and is a bundle of energy. I telll her that she’s my little purring machine. She is a constant source of amusement for me, and I can’t stop taking pictures of her cute little self.

December 14, 2012 at 2:12 am
(28) Sandy says:

After bringing my boy home from the shelter and he had tired himself and me out exploring his new home he climbed up on my lap and went to sleep purring his little heart out and then I fell asleep as well and when I woke up the first word that I thought of was Scamp. So that is how he got his name.

December 14, 2012 at 2:20 am
(29) Candice says:

Our boy was originally named Tinkle Mouse- after a brand of biscuits- when he joined our family he was a few weeks old and teeny tiny. BUT that soon changed and he grew to be a tall 6 kg baby- we had no choice but to drop the Tinkle and now he is called Mouse.

December 14, 2012 at 3:04 am
(30) Sr. Cindy Turner, OCV says:

Our cat, Prince William was named after the real Prince of England… he is also named after my Mom”s maiden name.. And there’s no doubt about it, he looks the part as regal and royal he sshoud be!!! He is 9 years old!

December 14, 2012 at 7:56 am
(31) Gail says:

On Easter Sunday, April 4, 1999, I was picking up a relative to drive her to our family dinner when I met a friendly little gray tabby that had been hanging around her house. She was still there when we got back and tried to follow my elderly relative into the house. I picked her up, she started purring, I fed her some ham, and ended up taking her to my vet that night for a combo test and exam as I had another cat at home. Thirteen years later she’s still sitting next to me on the couch while I type. Her name? Bunny, of course! I get a few quizzical looks at the vet’s office but it was a natural for my Easter bunny.

December 14, 2012 at 11:57 am
(32) Susannah Ayres-Thomas says:

We are guardians to five cats: the patriarch of the clowder is Sam–short for Sam-Singh, a beautiful long-hair oriental, seal-point we adopted from our local Humane Society shelter; they had named him Sammie, which I felt lacked dignity, so instead, I named him after the late Yam Sing, a cat we had some years before. Next are the two silver tabbies we felt looked like the original Egyptian cats, so we called them Isis and Ramses (Rammie or Ramster are the most used nicknames? Last but not least are the two Maine Coons adopted (like the tabbies) from our vet, who has a sort of informal shelter on her farm–she spays or neuters, gives them their shots, and looks for guardians she feels are trustworthy. Anyway, the Coons are (like the tabbies) brother and sister, and as Wulf was rather wolffish looking,mew named him Wulfgang Amadeus Meowzart, and his sister, we called Constanza–but she’s always called Connie (after our vet’s tech of the same name!) we also have two grandkitties–Sushi, so called because of his tail–or rather, what’s left of it. When the Humane Society got him, his tail was so badly injured, they had to amputate all but the last two inches of it. He’s a lilac-point meezer. His brother is Indy, who is always speeding wherever he goes, so the name is a perfect fit–he’s a caramel-colored long-hair tabby. So, there you have it!

December 14, 2012 at 12:25 pm
(33) Deborah says:

I adopted a beautiful black and white female.Her name was given to her. I love the name. Oreo Cookie,cause of the black with white markings on her. She is very sweet.

December 14, 2012 at 5:41 pm
(34) Bambi says:

Our latest addition was near death when my neighbor came to tell me about the little kitten who hadn’t moved for three days in her yard. I went over and knew this little one had to get to a vet but in reality thought there was little hope for him. When I went to pick him up to place him in one of our cat carriers for the trip, with the last of his energy, he put up a fight to protect himself from the strangers who were, in his mind, attacking his space. It was then I knew that he was a fighter and would be all right. It was also then he got his name….Sugar Ray!

December 15, 2012 at 5:33 am
(35) Mesila says:

I ALWAYS name my cats after the sounds they make, since I think it would be hard to have a name I couldn’t pronounce. Past cat names of mine were Reerow, Waa, Aerr-Aerr, Miyu and Miri, Aow and now my current adored one, Urrow.

December 17, 2012 at 4:45 pm
(36) Patty says:

I have a Spook, Sparkle, Bitsy, Bandit and Bear now.
Prior I have had Squeak, Bob, Jinx, Yankee, Murphy, Rescue and Charlie.
Every single one of them….LOVED, LOVED, LOVED!!

December 18, 2012 at 1:53 pm
(37) Pat Maley says:

In my “herd” you will find Yoda (who was the tinest kitten with huge ears that he eventually grew into), Ziggy (the DLH B/W tuxedo with a Ziggy Stardust marking on face), Amelia Bearheart (who was a tiny totally black kitten who was the first out of “the nest ” as she wanted to explore as soon as her yeys were open). The other members include Penny (a torti whose copper color gleams in the sunlight), Newy (short for Newhart since he is so laid back), Grumpy Grace (who swings a mean paw!), Alex, Cleo (who I adopted after her owner died), Thomas and Uno.

December 21, 2012 at 8:39 am
(38) Shannon says:

I like to let my cats name themselves. My first cat was Cleo, because I always thought that was a good name for a cat. Second cat was Tillie because I called her “silly girl” in baby talk and it sounded like “tillie girl”. Third cat was Baby because she was small and always laid in the baby stuff in the spare bedroom. I kept referring to the fourth cat as “new cat”, and when I said it fast, sounded like “nougat” (plus he was orange), so Nougat stuck. Fifth cat (Toby) came that way and I liked it. Plus all my fosters…

December 21, 2012 at 11:14 pm
(39) B. J. says:

I have two cherished gray cats–a sister and brother who were rescues because they were probably rejected by a Russian Blue breeder in my area who didn’t want to keep any kittens that didn’t have “show” potential. I first saw just the little girl and fell in love because she pushed her paw out of her cage to touch my nose. Then, I became aware of her little brother whom she coaxed from the back of the cage to meet me. I had just lost my much-loved black Halloween beauty after many months of surviving a cancer that finally took her from me, and wasn’t really ready to adopt another cat, let alone two, but somehow I couldn’t leave them behind. The little sister became Dusa (pronounced doo’ sha), which means “soulmate,” and her brother became Milos (pronounced mee’ losh), which means “beloved.” They were about six or seven months old when I found them, and we have been inseparable for over fifteen years.

July 11, 2013 at 2:22 pm
(40) Sue Kamm says:

My red cat (actually orange tabby) had two other names before I adopted him: Honey and Oliver. I go for two-syllable names for my cats, so he is now Archie.

I named Archie in memory of a friend’s cat who died a couple of years ago. That Archie was black and white, and just the sweetest animal you’d ever meet. He was hit by a car and lost most of his tail.

My Archie is very affectionate. When I’m reading in bed, he’ll come on the bed and sit or lie on my stomach. His favorite place is what I call the birdbath – It’s a scratching post with a circular birdbath saucer attached. Archie loves to lie there, using different positions to get comfy.

July 11, 2013 at 5:29 pm
(41) Ellen Goldberg says:

My cat was the runt of his litter. I adopted him when he was about 6 weeks old. He was born with his rear right leg twisted so that it was facing in the wrong direction. His deformity caused him to walk with a gimp. So I named him Chester, after the gimpy cowboy played by Dennis Weaver on the old Gunsmoke tv series. I thought my boy Chester was permanently disabled, but happily, after a couple of months, his leg turned itself around and he was able to walk normally. He’s now 11 years old and a climbing, jumping, running, devastatingly handsome cuddle bug.

July 24, 2013 at 12:48 pm
(42) Vinny says:

We received a kitten (orange tabby) from a coworker whose callico cat had 5 kittens. He was very “busy” from the first day we brought him home. He took great pleasure in chasing and trying to establish dominance over my other two cats. He was also very clumsy with his kitten legs and use to run sideways. After, debating over an appropriate name, we decided on “Bean” as in the “Mr. Bean” character.

December 16, 2013 at 4:02 pm
(43) devotedtomands says:

snickel got her name after some confusion and time. i thought snickel was a boy when i adopted her, but after a couple vet appointments our vet was able to tell me that snickel is definitely a female. i originally named her butch, when i thought she was male. when it was found that she’s a female, i adjusted her name to snutch. but i called her snickel snutch most of the time. snickel seemed to suit her the best, so her name became snickel. snick is very feminine, so butch would not have suited her.

December 17, 2013 at 10:49 am
(44) Franny Syufy says:

I’ve always thought that Snickel was a cute name. Her story is very similar to Gaither’s, actually.

December 19, 2013 at 7:17 pm
(45) Jan says:

Our two boys are purebred Russian Blues. OAlexi is 11, and Nikolai is 3.
We added Nicky to the family after our beloved Sasha died 3 years ago.

December 19, 2013 at 8:52 pm
(46) Sandii says:

My 1st cat is called Gemma. She was a stray who had 4 kittens under one of our front garden bushes, she was so skinny and she had also misjudges a fence and had torn her tummy.
When she eventually let me get close to her & I noticed the tear I managed to get hold of her and get her to the vet. She looked at me with these frightened beautiful great big green gem eyes. She eventually adopted US and we called her Gemma and she is what my vet calls a Washed Tortie.
Our 2nd cat is a B/W long hair rescue cat whose rescue name was Melody which I changed to Kassie, she is quite a large girl now so gets called Mama Kass after the singer from the 60s.
Our 3rd cat is adopted from my stepdaughter, her name is Miss which I think is short for Mischief because she is full of it.

December 19, 2013 at 9:02 pm
(47) Jolene Brauer says:

My first 2 kittens I got I named them Mitzie(boy) and Julie(me)Susie(Mom) cat (Dad) and later Dog. Next cat was already named as was a rehomed one by name of Bonnie and then next was another rehomed cat named Nicky and last cat I named was Missymou after my cousin called her girl that name..I did not change name on the cats already named after being called that name for 6+yrs..how would you like to be called another name you had gone by for 2/3rds of life? so I kept them and they adjusted well.

December 19, 2013 at 9:04 pm
(48) JTucker says:

Well I have 4 furry babies and so does my roommate. I also have 3 fosters right now. My two Russian blue mixes were first fosters , they came to me cold and emaciated. Named them Remington & Steele after a 80′s tv show. Sophia was named after Sophia Loren, she is a Balinese/Ragdoll mix that has won 6 halloween costume contest so far.
KitKat was akitty I took in when her owners left after being evicted. I didn’t want to get attachedso I put no thought to her name. But she won my heart but would not respond to any other name.

I’m fostering an almost all black kitty, I named her Baset after the Egyptian cat goddess. Pray she is negative she’s going for felv fia test.

A older tortie Persian that was returned back after being adopted and kept a yr, her name is Autumn Harvest Moon. Her huge eyes are coppery orange like harvest moons.

And Violet, a semiferal, that was brought to me after being slightly hit by a car. Because she is like a fragile and shrinking violet.

December 19, 2013 at 9:28 pm
(49) Betty says:

My kitty, Tux, got his name because he looks like he is wearing one. We have a rental property where a lot of cats hung out, including a litter of kittens. The tenants were feeding them until they were transferred. When we went to clean, the others were gone, but Tux cried after us for two days. I could not resist taking him home. He rode the hour’s drive on my shoulder and has found comfort there for the last year and a half, even though he now fills my entire lap. He’s a real “Mama’s boy’!

December 19, 2013 at 10:28 pm
(50) Jayne says:

I have two rescues. My first I adopted at 5 months of age, and as her 2nd adoptive mom. The first found her abandoned in a barn and was originally named Maxine. Ugh! I was needing a bit of rescuing myself, and feeling deeply that the meaning of a name is what you will grow into, I dug into my baby naming book and found a wonderful name. I named her Samari after the Samaritans of the Bible, which means “protector”. She grew into that name fully and quickly. She is the protector of our home, and when I’m sick, will not leave my side for days if necessary. She has also slept curled up tightly in my legs every night. My second rescue was brought to the Humane Society from a neighbor in her “neighborhood” when she was almost on her death bed. The HS gave her medical care for 6 months before I could adopt her. No one else wanted her though because she was extremely full of life and had a permanent head tilt. When no other kitty would pay me any attention, I asked to see her. She snuggled up immediately, and I took her home within a few minutes. I felt she deserved a beautiful new name to go along with her brand new life. I cracked open my baby naming book again, and found her name, Leyla. Her name means “Dark Beauty”, and she is. I spelled it with an “e” because I thought it was a little stronger than an “a”, and she is a tough little thing. She’s been an incredibly great unofficial therapy cat for my clients. She indeed has a beautiful spirit in that lovely black fur. They are named Purrfectly!

December 19, 2013 at 10:49 pm
(51) dmw says:

My first cat was originally named Sweetpea and that just didn’t fit her. The rescue lady told me how sweet and friendly she was but just really tired that night. Well that was a lie and so Sweetpea wasn’t going to work and I couldn’t imagine having a cat named Sweepea, that just wasn’t me. Plus she has a marking on her head that looks like a skull and she is a black and grey tabby so she definitely needed something a little darker. So she became Lucifer, Luci for short. It is perfect for her, although she gets called Luci most often. My second cat joined us a month later and was an 8 week old orange and white puff ball. He had been abandoned and bottle fed from 3 weeks old. So unlike Luci he was completely unafraid of people and just loved to jump in my lap, cuddle, and be held like a baby. His name given by the foster was Simba but I just didn’t like it and he didn’t answer to it. So I renamed him Otis after a character from one of my favorite movies that happens to be a horror movie so it still stays on the dark side. Now he has also picked up the nicknames Puffypants and Puffy and will also answer to both of them.

December 20, 2013 at 7:04 am
(52) Tamara says:

My husband and I found ourselves in a middle of a strange traffic jam. Strange because at the time of that day it wasn’t suppose to be traffic jam in that avenue. Then we found out the “reason”: of the traffic jam. It was a tiny kitten just in the middle of the avenue! Drivers were slowly passing him by but nobody did nothing to pick him up. My husband stop the car in the middle of the avenue, get out and grab him immediately, even though the kitten was son terrified that bit hard on my husband’s thumb. But it didn’t matter. We got him and saved him! A couple of minutes of maybe seconds later he would be dead because nobody care enough to save him. That’s why we named him Kiseki, which we learned that means “miracle”. It was a miracle that he survived that ordeal! He is now a healthy, playful and handsome boy and we love him dearly!

December 20, 2013 at 8:09 am
(53) Lenna says:

My oldest cat is named Scooter because he scoots when he gets excited. My youngest is a dark red makeral tabby. At 10 weeks old, he looked up at me with big eyes and ears and looked just like Ron Howard on Andy Griffith. And so I named him Opie.

December 20, 2013 at 1:18 pm
(54) Bar b says:

Only once did I keep the same name for a kitty I adopted – the cat was 8 1/2 yrs. old and was used to the name, Nora. (her owner had to go to a nursing home,then passed away)
My other cats/kittens (all rescues) sort of named themselves. One tuxedo cat zig-zagged down a narrow hall in my prev. house, making it hard for me to walk quickly, so named him Ziggy.
My current Norweigan Forrest cat roamed the neighborhood after his human family moved & left him behind. He also liked to ‘flirt’ with all the female kitties – indoor ones who came to their windows or balconies to see him! His name is now “Romeo.” hehe ( by the way his is neutered) ,

December 20, 2013 at 3:00 pm
(55) Norm says:

There is a Buddhist proverb that when an animal has evolved and is about to be reborn as a human, the soul enters the body of a pet, so as to observe humans and better prepare for its eventual human life.

This idea has had several impacts on me and my wife. We now always give our cats human names – Gracie, Alou, Freddy, etc. Before, we’d give names like Ocelot and Omelet; now, we can believe their human naming puts that little bit closer to a human identity.

Second, it seems to give us a closer relationship with our cats. Since we started doing this, they seem much more responsive to us: Alou, Pedro, and Gracie seem born with the capacity to understand a lot of English AND the desire-capacity to want to respond. It seems to help when they do something really too independent, I remind them, “Gracie, I’m your Daddy!” – maybe they would just be domesticated animals to us, absent the proverb.

Further: it prompts us to be better stewards of their lives, and it consoles us when they eventually pass away.

So even if it’s just a religious fable, acting on it doesn’t hurt, it might help, and it has certainly corresponded with our achieving a close rapport with our last several “children”.

December 20, 2013 at 7:48 pm
(56) Wendy Lynn says:

We named our Persian Sapphira after the dragon character in the movie/book Eragon.

December 21, 2013 at 9:36 am
(57) Diana says:

I am currently blessed with seven wonderful felines! My oldest is Marie who is now sixteen and unfortunately is on her way to her ninth life in decline. Next is Cheeto and Gracie who are brother and sister, rescued from a former crazy neighbor when they were kittens. Next is Riley, also a “rescue” that was also in very poor shape at the time I saw her and knew I could not leave her in the situation. Last are my three “boys” – all brothers – Lucas, Leo and Levi who I found ( or is it found me)? in a mobile SPCA adoption vehicle. I have always given much thought to naming my “babies” and if necessary wait weeks to name them until I just know their name is “IT”. I think their names do tend to fit each purrfectly :) pun intended.

December 21, 2013 at 9:59 pm
(58) Meeka says:

I have two Persian kitties. The older kitty, a Black Smoke, is Elsie,aka Babers, and my Mom bought her for me just before she passed away. I ran through names in my head for awhile, and I kept coming back to the name Elsie because I know my Mom would have thought it “cute”.
My younger kitty is Lillie. She is pure white. At first the breeder told me she was giving me a boy kitten. I have always had girl kitties, so it took me awhile to come up with an appropriate boy name. I often fished off a dock and caught pogies… little white fish. I decided on that name until the breeder told me I was getting a girl kitty instead. I wracked my brain again, and it hit me… my grandmother always had about 50′ of beautiful white Calla Lilies along the side of her house. So the white kitten was named Lillie, aka Lilly-Roo and sometimes just Roo.
They are very loving and very spoiled, and I wouldn’t have it any other way!

December 24, 2013 at 7:46 pm
(59) Leon Jones says:

I have 3 cats. two females and one male., I named my female red tabby Adell from my deceased wife mother. I named my other female caitco female Peewee after a female friend and I named my male cat Leonard after me

December 26, 2013 at 10:48 pm
(60) T.K says:

We adopted a 6 month old neutered male at a pet rescue. He is mostly white, with some red tabby markings on his head/ears, all of his tail, and a large heart-shape on his side. After a few days of consideration, we named him Schatzi. It is German for darling/treasure. It fits him ‘purr-fectly’ – most of the time!

January 10, 2014 at 9:32 pm
(61) Sher says:

I have always renamed my pets. In fact our last cat is a girl who had been given a male name – she ended up choosing her own name when we mentioned three possibilities and she came running to the third name, and continued to answer to it

March 16, 2014 at 5:02 pm
(62) Regina R L says:

For some reason I have always given my girls a double name. Molly Renee, Daisy Rose, and Candy Girl. Molly was a gift from a co-worker when I worked in Richmond, VA. Grey tabby with a Quirky twisty loop on her tail. I gave her that name because my daughter said she would name her next baby that name, then ended having my Grandson. So I gave her that name. Daisy and Candy were both rescues. Daisy is a fluffy white and black beauty and so dainty like a flower. And Candy, a dumpster kitten was so tiny and sweet, she had to have an equally sweet name. I just think all three names fit my girls.