1. Home

Franny Syufy

Poll: Where Does Your Cat Sleep?

By March 5, 2014

Some people complain of being sleep-deprived because of their cats. Others freely share their own beds with as many cats as will fit. How about you? Take this poll and tell the world where your cat sleeps.

photo © Franny Syufy

In my family, our cats sleep in various places and positions during the day. Gaither, our tuxedo kitten, sleeps on this beanbag chair, on one or another of the cat towers throughout the house, or on the back of our leather recliner sofa with Jaspurr during the day. At night, he may be curled up in a corner of the hallway, or on my son's bed with some of the other mail cats. My Jennifur sleeps on my bed with me, on a window-mounted padded bed in our bedroom, or on a footstool below that one. Some nights she does keep me awake with her wandering. Other nights she sleeps quietly at the foot of the bed, or on the pillow next to me. If you are one of those who suffer from cat-related sleep deprivation, be sure to read the companion article, Ways to Avoid Cat-Related Sleep Deprivation.

Comments

April 5, 2010 at 1:57 pm
(1) Bonnie says:

My cat Violet sleeps anywhere she wants except our bed. Mostly she curls up on top of the sofa, on a blanket or pillow on the sofa or in my husband’s lap. She also has a favorite place in our home office on the unoccupied chair whenever anyone is in there and sleeps on our daughter’s bed when she allows her into her room at night. When she sleeps in my husband’s lap, she almost always puts him to sleep also within 5-10 min even if he’s not tired and has just woken up. It’s comical to watch sometimes.

April 5, 2010 at 3:10 pm
(2) Derar says:

My cats also sleep anywhere they want, except my bed… im a very fussy sleeper :p
They sleep anywhere, most of of the time on the sofa/chair but sometimes they’d even sleep on the floor in the middle of the room or in the hallway. its a funny sight!

April 6, 2010 at 6:24 pm
(3) Karen says:

My Big Boy sleeps on my bed on top of the comforter all morning and then naps in my chair. He aslo likes to sleep behind the curtains with his tail sticking out.

December 7, 2011 at 4:30 pm
(4) Amy says:

My cat sleeps on my pillow; usually curled around my face so my face is in her stomach all night. <3 Either that or she rolls around on my stomach for a bit then just melts to me. Lol =^.^= ~

August 1, 2012 at 3:29 pm
(5) Anonymous says:

My cat sleeps under the duvet on my bed on cold winter nights. Better than a hot water bottle!

April 1, 2013 at 6:10 pm
(6) penny says:

wherever I fall asleep is where my cats sleep at the same time with me. If I fall asleep in my bed, I awaken to them all in the bed with me. If I fall asleep on my couch, they will all be there, along with .y golden retriever. No matter where I sleep, my cats are always there sleeping with me. lol.

April 3, 2013 at 11:58 am
(7) Teri says:

My cat sleeps in odd places, like in the bathroom sink. He is so big he fills the whole thing. He also sleeps on my shoulder like a bird, spawled out on the pool table, on a empty bag of charcol on the porch, and on the top of my dresser.

April 15, 2013 at 7:15 am
(8) Tammy says:

My kitty will sleep all over the place. His thing at the moment is picking a spot each day and that’s where he will stay all day. He usually sleeps on the end of the bed at night after he comes in from a walkabout

May 18, 2013 at 2:36 pm
(9) sarah says:

My cat is an indoor/outdoor cat and enjoys sleeping on the chair on our front porch. she has a specific one she likes during the day. She will also sleep in a whisker basket with a blanket in it in my mom’s office. She sleeps in bed with any of us and loves to sleep in our beds when we aren’t there. She like boxes and will always attempt to sleep in one even if she doesn’t fit :)

May 27, 2013 at 2:53 pm
(10) Michael says:

My two year old (adopted) tabby started sleeping on the end of our bed with us after only two weeks and has done so for months. Now it is coming into winter she likes the warmth of the padded guitar case at the foot of the bed. During the day she sleeps anywhere the sun is beaming in.

June 24, 2013 at 8:47 pm
(11) Kassie says:

I’m trying to figure out why my 8 year old cat sleeps with his head against things, walls/corners. Sometimes he just wants to lay on the arm rest of the couch with his face in the sofa lol today he was on the window sill and had his face in the corner of the window (not facing me, but face planted i the wall). Does anyone else’s kitties do this?

March 6, 2014 at 3:44 pm
(12) Candee says:

During the day after a morning of very rigorous playtime with me, my cat likes to sleep curled up on the sofa with me so he knows immediately if I leave the room. He has a lot of anxiety, I’m guessing as he can’t bear to be in a different room from me. However at night, I put him into our completely enclosed lanai on a special quilt, his cat carrier, and a dining room set we only use for company. He used to sleep in his cat Cartier, then started sleeping on the quilt, and now has started sleeping on one of the dining set chairs. And he let’s me know every night when he’s ready to go to bed by being very vocal until I ask him if he’s ready for bed. To which he answers by heading towards the lanai!

March 6, 2014 at 3:49 pm
(13) Winnie says:

One of my cats sleeps in a carrier during the day and the other 2 on my bed. At night time 2 sleep with me and one in a cat bed in my bedroom. Tried sleeping alone but felt guilty about it.

March 6, 2014 at 4:15 pm
(14) Barry333 says:

In the winter, my guy sleeps in my wife’s knee pits. If she’s out of town, he condescends to sleep between my legs. During the warm weather, he sleeps all over the house.

March 9, 2014 at 12:35 pm
(15) Franny Syufy says:

“Knee pits” is a new anatomical term to me, but it makes sense. I like it!

March 6, 2014 at 5:11 pm
(16) Chris says:

My Simon sleeps in various places depending on the time of day. When I’m at the computer, he’s usually in my glider rocker, or maybe on his-very-own-pillow, which he loves (as is proved by the furry condition of its slip). When I’m in the glider, he may be on my lap or on my swivel chair. And when I’m in bed, and awake enough to be aware of him, he’s often there with me. (Where he is when I’m asleep I don’t know.)

March 6, 2014 at 5:31 pm
(17) Sunny says:

Sheba, the star of my book “Two Sides of a Tale” starts the evening sleeping on top of one of my suitcases, but sometime during the night winds up companionably next to me, head on a corner of my pillow, or alongside me, or at my feet. At other times I wake up with her draped across my chest, with one paw affectionately lying on my cheek. She is a very quiet sleeper and never moves, although she sometimes snores gently, a very sweet cat companion.
If I ever find the right male life companion, I´ll have to solve any competition that may come about from my super-complicitious human-cat relationship.

March 6, 2014 at 9:29 pm
(18) Mary says:

I don’t allow them in my bedrrom at night because I wouldn’t get any sleep. They are both nocturnal – at night I hear them running up and down the stairs and all over the house. They take short naps at night – one in the cat bed, and one on the carpet on the stairs or on a chair in the kitchen. During the day, I leave the bedroom door open, and they sleep for hours under the bed in between the boxes that I have stashed there. In the evening they wake up gradually and take a few more naps, mostly on the bed, before they are fully awake. Then just about when I am ready to go to bed, they are ready for their nocturnal activities.

March 7, 2014 at 6:31 am
(19) Lindsay says:

I sleep better when the 2 cats are in the bed.

March 11, 2014 at 1:03 am
(20) Kate says:

Other than anywhere they want…usually all four are on our bed…one on my pillow, one between us, and two on the foot of the bed. I always sleep better with the feline gang!!