You may need to clean your cat's ears as a preliminary to administering medication for mites, or just as a part of regular grooming.
Time Required: 10 minutes
- Assemble supplies: olive oil or commercial ear cleaner, cotton balls, container for water
- Warm the olive oil or ear cleaner to body temperature by placing the container in a warm pan of water.
- Place the cat on a table or counter.
- Put a drop or two of the liquid into the round opening of the ear canal.
- Gently massage the base of the ear for at least a minute, to work the liquid around.
- Repeat steps 4 and 5 with the other ear.
- Leave your cat alone for 5 minutes. He'll do a great deal of head shaking, which will dislodge dirt and move it into the outer ear canal.
- After 5 minutes, use clean cotton balls to wipe away oil and dirt from the ear.
- Give your cat a treat for being so good.
- Use the same techniques for administering medication to the ears, with the exception of steps 2 and 8.
What You Need
- Olive oil or ear cleaner
- Cotton Balls
- Container for warm water
- Plastic eye-dropper