You will be able to understand your cat's development more easily if you have a general idea of his age in human years. This method and the accompanying age chart will point the way for you.
Difficulty Level: easy Time Required: 5 minutes
- Allow 15 human years for the first year of your cat's life.
- Add nine years for the second year. A two-year old cat will approximate 24 human years.
- Add four human years each for successive years of his life.
- When all else fails, refer to the accompanying chart.
- This method utilizes averages only. Some purebred cats, such as Maine Coons, mature much slower and don't reach full development for three or four years. Finally, like humans, cats age in relation to diet, exercise and care.