I used to believe that cats' eyes only watered for medical reasons. However, after the phenomenal response I've had from readers who have seen cat cry for apparent reasons of pain, sorrow, loneliness, or frustration, I'm willing to include that there are indeed occasions of cats crying because of emotions.
Have you seen a cat cry real tears? Read the associated article, then share your story with other readers in the form below. Note:This form is not for asking questions or replying to others readers. It is your own mini-article on the About.com Cat site.Share your Experience
Ninas last tears
- My female cat became ill. When I reached home I found her on the floor with her claws caught on the comforter. She dislocated her arm to such an extent that it was loose. I untangled her wrapped her in a blanket . On the way to the vet she looked at me with the saddest eyes filled with tears. She knew I would have to put her down. She was a very good girl
- —Guest cat man
my cat cries
- My house cat got the glass door in the kitchen opened and off he went. The last time I saw him was at 6PM. When I took the dog out for his nite nite walk at midnight, there that kitty was and what a slippery sam he was. He took off. Called him and bribed but no deal. I finally gave up and decided that he would be around in the morning. I got up, made that awesome morning cup of coffee and was getting ready to take that first swig and there goes the ANIMAL CONTROL truck. Down to the end of the street. Well, I take doggie for morning relief and they are already comming back up the street. I'm like, there is no way that he has been out for about 12 hours and they got my cat so I guzzle that coffee and hit the road to call and hunt him with a heavy heart. I know he has no idea of the dangers Went home, got online and there I found A057845. My kitty was a number and it was 4:50!!! This morning I walked up to A057845 and saw the tears fill his eyes and run over. Thats why I am here. Happy en
- —Guest hecriestoo
- I have four cats. My 4 year old male is so affectionate he wants to be held and hugged all the time. Even when I am cleaning or just standing near him he will stretch his front paws up my leg and meow till I pick him up. If I've been busy and haven't held him much he just gives up and sits and stares at me with watery eyes and big tears rolling down his face. If I pick him up and hold him and console his eyes stop watering. He will do the same thing sometimes if one or two of the other cats is taking up my whole lap.
- —Guest Cathy
- My cat Bella always has tears in her eyes when she gets sleepy and relaxes in the sun.
- —Guest Chiara
- Yes...I have 2 cat's,Ginger & Bella Ginger has been picking on Bella for the last week & today while i was on phone Ginger was trying to swipe at Bella i said not Ginger,looked at Bella she had a one drop under each eye?I felt so sad!:(
- —Guest Michelle Zamora
Yes, I have witnessed this
- I am in the process of capturing cats to relocate them to another area because they are in danger at their current location. I captured the grown kitten of one mom. The two are especially bonded. After capture, the mom sat in front of my vehicle and stared at me when I put the trap in my car. Her little boy moaned and cried. When I got him to the holding location, their were tears streaming down his face. It was heartbreaking. I am trying to catch the other members of the colony including mom and siblings so they can all be relocated to a safe area.
- —Guest Richard E. Koerner
Cat sniffles after extended absence
- For years I was perplexed by the fact that whenever my husband and I get back from a trip of several days (during which time our cat is well cared for by a petsitter), he greets us with extra affection while sniffling with a runny nose. I used to worry, "Oh no! Is he getting a cold?" ...but the symptoms always disappear completely within the hour, and he is perfectly fine again. After years of observing this pattern again and again under identical circumstances, we finally had to acknowledge the only adequate explanation: his brief sniffles when he sees us after a long absence are a product of strong emotion, not a medical condition. Our cat does not cry tears from his eyes, but his runny nose is another symptom of crying that people have traditionally assumed was exclusive to humans. Having observed such a thing in my own cat, I have to allow the possibility that some cats cry emotional tears as well. This isn't anthropomorphism, it's the acknowledgment of accumulated evidence.
- —Guest JP
my cat cries tears of joy
- my younger cat, Penny is very sweet and emotional. every time she see's me, her tail vibrates with glee. when i leave on trip's she and her sister have a cat sitter, that drops in for feedings twice a day. when i return she mews like crazy for me and streams of joyful tears roll down her face. she is such an expressive sweetie,
- —Guest misty
My cat's tears
- My cat is dying of renal failure and i,m caring for her at home. I had surgery last year and have been off work so we have spent a lot of time together. I was petting her head as she rested and i was overwhelmed with grief at seeing her frail, tears ran silently down my face. She woke up, reached out with her paw and tapped me softly on the cheek. She had a pool of fluid under her eye that slowly spilled over and oozed down her face, i got a napkin and soaked it up. I have noticed her eyes fill up since and i keep then clean so the fur on her face doesn't get soiled. I don't know if they are tears...vet ruled out infection, who knows
- —Guest Laurie
- I was watching a dog for my sister-in law for one day. i found my korat sitting in the window and saw a tear fall. I looked at her eyes and they were full of tears. I went to pet her and she ran and hid.
- —Guest sheree
My Sugar's Been Crying
- I looked this topic up because my nearly 18 year old Elmo, siamese mix, died 3 weeks ago when a large tumor was detected in his tummy. I had to put him down, for his own sake. My 10 year old tiger cat, Sugar, acted like she couldn't stand him her whole life. Acted giddy and happy the day after Elmie died, then slowly began grieving. She's shown all of the signs for mourning and depression, and has been crying for the past week. A 3 month old gigantic gorgeous kitten is joining our little family in a few hours. I'm sure Sugar will not welcome him immediately with open arms, but the crying will stop, and within a few days she'll accept the little guy.
- —Guest Patty
- My cat cried when it orginal owner left it behind sat on our back patio table staring at the house of her preveoius owner with tears running down her face the other day she got made and bit me i scolded here adn left the room my wife called me and there she was with tears in her eyes upset that I scolded her and left the room so i picked her up and all became well again such an emotional cat
- —Guest Wade
I saw my Bengal cat cry
- I was worried that something was wrong with his eyes, but after the one time, when he cried big fat tears, I have seen nothing until tonight when he had just a bit of it. He is only a year old and very sensitive, still kind of a baby, and since I've had him since we rescued him when he was between 6 and 8 weeks old, he thinks I'm his mommy, but he is BIG and very curious, so sometimes he causes problems (breaking things, turning over my water, etc.,) so I yell a bit. I know I shouldn't but I'm old an cranky. Anyway, about 2 weeks ago, when I got mad at him, he started crying, and it just killed me, so I held him and kissed him and told him I love him, and he stopped. Just now he came up on the bed and snuggled in and there were some small tears. I just think he's very sensitive. I've never seen another cat do it.
The last tears
- The whole wonderful 19 years of sharing our lives together I never saw any indication that my cat ever cried. This last year has been really hard on her health wise. She went down hill with old age problems until she just couldn't bare it anymore. She was having renal failure and we didn't want her to suffer anymore. During her final moments with us I saw a huge tear coming from her eye as to say I am sorry I can be with you anymore. It was one of the most saddest things I have ever seen, and I will never forget it.
- —Guest Gail
- You write that you have not been presented scientific proof for cats crying out of emotion. I have witnessed cats cry like crazy out of emotion. With teardrops and yelling. What would be scientific proof and what is the scientific proof that humans cry out of emotion and not just other medical reasons?
- —Guest Alex