I used to believe that cats' eyes only watered for medical reasons. However, after the phenomenal response I've had from readers who have seen cat cry for apparent reasons of pain, sorrow, loneliness, or frustration, I'm willing to include that there are indeed occasions of cats crying because of emotions.
Have you seen a cat cry real tears? Read the associated article, then share your story with other readers in the form below. Note:This form is not for asking questions or replying to others readers. It is your own mini-article on the About.com Cat site.Share your Experience
Never would have thought!
- My cat was resued after five years of neglect. He'd pulled his hair out and was underweight. He's a long-haired Siamese/Himalayan and loves to be brushed. Our ritual, each morning, is a long brushing and cuddle. He has one or two tears running down his cheeks when we do this. I think he's touched at the attention he didn't know existed before we rescued him.
- —Guest Oliver
My cat Dexter cries tears
- Dexter is about 4 years old and very much like a dog. He sits on command, he knows how to shake etc. Dexter was really my son's cat, he would druel literally, when he sees my son. I am recently empty nest for at least the past year, with the kids coming and going occasionally. I am in the military and have been gone a lot over the past 3 years. It's only Dexter and I now. Tonight is pulled out my suitcase to leave again. Dexter went into my closet, smelled around my uniform and my suitcase, then he looked up and the tears suddenly welled up in his eyes, then rolled down his face. Coincidence? Road dust from prior travels still on the suitcase?? I don't know, but he looked emotional to me. = (
- —Guest Katherine
Cats DO Cry
- My previous job required frequent out of town travel. Although I had a pet sitter that cared for them daily, I know they missed me. On the eve of another trip, as I brought the suitcases downstairs and set them by the door, I turned around (almost tripping over them) and was awestruck by what I saw. Two sad countenances, with tears streaming from their eyes. My oldest boy, Rochester, developed congestive heart failure, he fought bravely for two years before the vet urged me to put him down. I arranged for an in home euthanasia and cuddled him on "our" chair as the drugs were being administered. He turned his head and gazed into my eyes as if to say thank you. With tears in his eyes he breathed his last. Twelve years and 1 month earlier, he left a shelter to come home with me, two years later, Romeo came home to live with us. Rochester recognized the scent of the shelter and proceeded to place his right paw on Romeo left shoulder as if to say "welcome." And so, it was no
- —Guest Lu Hocker
- When my mother died her cat cried for days with tears. The neighbor came over to witness and start praying when she saw it was for real.
- —Guest Carter
- Today we buried our dog of 15 years. We dug her a nice little grave in our front yard and were all extremely emotional as our makeshift funeral came to an end. As we turned to go back inside, our cat was lying on the porch with a tear running slowly down her face. Coincidence or not? I had never seen this from her until today and we've had her almost 5 years now. I believe all creatures can experience sorrow. I witnessed it today.
- —Guest Ashley
My kitty cries all the time
- I have 3 cats the youngest is a polydact maine coon and he is so affectionate and sweet often when no one else is home and ive just woke up or we come home he has tears running down his face. He is so sweet and ive read a lot that cats only cry for medical reasons but this cat cries for real!! I actually just found him crying a few minutes ago so i picked him up and cleaned his tears and now hes laying with me happy as pie and no more tears.. The other 2 cats dont cry ever just the baby and hes always done it its the most sad but cutest thing ever i feel so loved by this little fur ball!!!
- —Guest Susan87
Crying after death of feline friend
- I didn't believe that cats could cry until today, two weeks ago my 3 year old cat died in my arms in the car when we were bringing her home from the vet. I had her wrapped in a blanket, we took her back to the vet in the blanket, when I went to pay for her cremation it got her blanket back, I have a front loader washer and tossed the blanket in there and just left the door open, about 2 hours later, it was supper time, my male tabby is always around in anticipation of supper but today he wasn't, so I went looking for him, after about 15mins, I found him in the washing machine on top of the blanket, when I pulled him out of there, there were tears streaming out of both of his eyes, this had never happened before in he 12 years I've had him. So I carried him upstairs and gave him some treats and pats, within 5 mins his eyes were completely dried up. I know they say cats can't cry emotionally, but now I'm not so sure that's true.
- —Guest Area
- I was so ill that I told my baby girl princess I'm dying. I look at her, and I see tears coming out of her eyes. Poor kitty she put her paw on my shirt
- —Guest Amber
- My 14 year old persian has cancer of the jaw and will need to be mercifully put down soon. His "girlfriend" will miss him as will I. Should I take her when this sad time comes?
- —Guest Debbie
My cat's left eye has red tears
- My cat has red tears , so does my friends dog, so I never thought much of it . It doesn't seem to bother him when I wipe the residue away, but its only one eye and always the left one. Has anyone else seen this?
- —Guest max's mom
My kitty is crying now
- Im cooking curry sausages and my own eyes are sore, looked down at my kitten and she is very wet under the eyes. this is how I got here.
- —Guest Hayley
kitten crys when returned to SPCA.
- I recently fostered 2 kittens from the SPCA for 2 weeks. When I first brought them home they immediately warmed up to me and followed me everywhere I went. I would come home from work every day and they were always ready to play and climb all over me. They helped lift me out of a deep depression I was going thru at the time. Dark Paw was the serious and conservative one and White sox was the funny playful one. When the time came to return them over to the vet at the shelter. I opened the box to say goodbye to them and saw that one of them was crying. I don't know if it was mixed emotions of fear and anexity. This was very hard to leave him and I keep feeling guilty leaving him. I will be going back this Friday to check on the lil guy. I just adopted one kitten who knows maybe he will still be there and I can talk my boyfriend into taking him home with us. We both believe the kitten was crying from emotions. In memory of 423 male and 426 male
- —Guest jessica
My kitty cries!
- We found him in the forest, he's only 6 months old and we found him just after the nursing stage, he's very emotional but he cries with joy after I feed him really good wet food, he also cries with sadness when I leave, not if my girlfriend leaves. He has never done it any other time, and he doesn't get goop even when he wakes up. My girlfriend recorded him crying tears and whimpering when I left the house. Needless to say, he loves me very much and I love him and all animals. I feel connected to every animal I touch, I feel as if I'm destined to save/train/help animals.
- —Guest Jamie
- After my mother died at home I found her cat looking out the south window with tears running down her face. I assumed that it was dust but I'm not really sure.
- —Guest bonnie lasen-dooley
Convinced that cats do cry
- Upon coming home 20 minutes ago, my wife clicked the garage door opener and I heard the cat door being hit, clawed, banged, etc. (my little girl had locked it). My wife opened the door for our cat and went to the cat tree to check on her. My wife then said: "Oh, my gosh, she has tears in her eyes and her heart's pounding ..." I walked over to the cat tree and I did see a very frightened cat who was so scared she was crying actual tears. It was interesting, as I had never known that. FYI: My cat is healthy, so the tears are not related to problems with her eyes. She's over the fright now and her eyes are tear-free.
- —Guest Christopher