Share your tips for removal of cat urine odor and stains from clothing, fabric, and other surfaces, using products found around the house. Note: Questions and comments on other user tips cannot be published. Think of this as your own mini-article. Share Your Advice
- I have clothes that our cats have owed on. We washed them with vinegar and baking soda first, and our own house blend detergent, only to have it still smell. So we went with store laundry detergent, gain and the scent pellets. Now they smell fine....until...they get damp again...sweat, rain, anything that gets it damp again... Then they smell like they've been owed on again. They have since been laundered several times with different methods and no further progress... Any solutions?
- —Guest joey
Cat urine remover
- where do you buy Anti-Icky Poo? I am having difficulty finding effective cat urine odor remover for carpets. Suggestions for other effective products woud be appreciated.
Another product to try
- 1st if you are able rinse area w/ water even if dried, the more you rinse the better. Pretreat w/ Murphy's oil soap put sone directly on spot scrib thru fabric. Launder in washing machines heavy duty cycle. I usually wash load twice 2nd time adding Murphy's to machine. If you dislike the Murphy's scent rewash w/ your regular detergent.
- —Guest Bel
Cat urine removal
- We use a bottle that's called "Pee Pee" which my husband buys from Loews - does the job.
- —Guest Shirley
Apple cider vinegar
- My son fell on the ground of a property infested with cat urine and feces. Was his sweatshirt 4 or 5 times and it still had the essence of cat urine on it. Washed again with about a half cup of apple cider vinegar, hot water and detergent. Worked like a charm; smell was gone.
- —Guest Liz
Simple Green for Cats
- There is a Simple Green that you can buy right in the pet store that is formulated specifically for cats. We use it on clothes, lenolium floors, and carpets as well.
- —Guest sierra
- Jeffers Pet has a lot of good options and their prices are good too. I like Get Serious products
- —Guest Allison
cat urine odors in laundry
- Pwdr Detèrgent,1/2c borax,1/2 cup baking soda,1/2 cup liquid,Lysol concentrated disinfectant. Cleaner per large load of laundry
- —Guest Cyndi
Very cheap cat pee remover
- One of my cats pee's in my laundry piles every once in a while. After some research, i found that apple cider vinegar completely removes the smell and all traces of the urine. I gave my other cat the snif test and he didn't drop his jaw. Also, your clothes do not smell like vinegar, at all! Use about a cup of vinegar per load. You can buy a gallon in the bulk food section of a place like Walmart for a few dollars. Don't forget, when using vinegar, never combine with bleach.
- —Guest Kelly
Anti-Icky Poo Unscented
- I found Anti-Icky Poo Unscented (AIP) and it is UNSURPASSED! It removes cat urine & any biological stain on almost any surface. It's also great for cleaning up dried hairballs - blech!
I use it in my laundry, too. My Siamese decided to pee IN my empty washer & we didn't find it until it was dried. AIP cleaned it right up & there was no residual smell. I swear by this stuff. I'm giving it away as holiday gifts to cat-loving friends this year!
Also, I'm allergic to everything, so finding a product that doesn't make me wheeze is great!
- —Guest Sami
Urine odor removal from Laundry
- I have been using BIZ detergent for years. Just soak in a bucket or washer overnight for laundry. Can also be used mixed with water on carpets and floors.
- —Guest Patricia
Removimg cat urine odors
- The original PineSol, the other scents dont work. You can use it on carpet too.
- —Guest Regina
Urine odors and stains
- The best product to purchase in a grocery store or big box store is anyone that has enzymes in the product. This will eliminate all odors from dogs, cats and even humans. I use it all the time whenever I have puppies, and kittens in the house. Cost is not an issue with this type of product, the cheap ones work as well as the expensive ones. so why pay for a name brand?
Petastic laundry detergent
- I have found Petastic Especially For Cats laundry detergent to be very good for this.
- I have had several "Kitty accidents" in my time, and my husband introducted me to SIMPLE GREEN!!! It is great for ALL cleaning, is highly concentated and works wonders! I toss the clothes into the washer, pour in some SMPLE GREEN and let them soak. After running through a full wash cycle (after soaking), I may or may not rewash with a bit of detergent, and everything is as good as new! I've also added SIMPLE GREEN to the carpet cleanin machine and I've never been disappointed!
- —Guest Judi