1. Home

Question:
My cats are all S/Nd but sometimes my male cat grabs my female by the neck and acts as if he wants to mate her. Is it normal?

This is a fairly common question, which often come up shortly after a male neuter, and much less frequently with a spayed female cat.

Read my Reply

Comments

June 10, 2007 at 7:51 am
(1) mona says:

Hi. My 6 month old female kitten is neutered. She’s an indoor and outdoor cat. There’s an old fierce big male stray cat nearby. I’m not sure if he wants to mate her or fight with her just now. It was at night n I can’t see what they were doing. But my poor cat seemed afraid. What should I do? I do not want it to have sex and I also do not want the male cat in my house cos it’s a stray. Not dewormed not de-ticked whatever.

August 16, 2007 at 8:38 pm
(2) Debbi says:

Keep your cat inside. They are just as happy, if you play with them and give them toys. The strays will most likely give your cat worms, ringworm, leukemia, F.I.P. or a number of other diseases. Keeping the stray out of your house does not keep the exposure away from your cat when she is outside.

January 2, 2008 at 4:13 pm
(3) RJM says:

Do female cats have sex after being “spayed”?

July 14, 2008 at 11:05 pm
(4) J says:

Having a weird problem with our girl today.. She was spayed about a week ago and was back to her normal self, except last night she started viciously attacking our boy cat and hasn’t stopped! Is this a weird side affect? Kitty mood swings?

August 17, 2009 at 8:13 pm
(5) Mariah says:

My 10 month male cat who is neutered keeps mounting my roommate’s apprx. 6 month old female cat who is not spayed, and we suspect may be going into heat soon. We are going to get her spayed tomorrow, but we are wondering, will this stop afterwards?

October 3, 2009 at 1:39 am
(6) Jensbian says:

Usually a male that is fixed will mount a female or in some cases a male to show thier dominance. You shouldn’t worry but can train the male cat to stop by spraying him with a water bottle everytime he mounts.

October 13, 2009 at 8:55 pm
(7) E07 says:

I have a 2 year old cat, and the other day another cat got into my house while I was at work. My cat is spayed. Is there a chance the other cat could’ve had sex with my cat? Ever since that day she has been so different I checked her to make sure they didn’t fight and she didn’t have any cuts, but Im still concerned about here

May 10, 2011 at 4:07 am
(8) Beth says:

My female cat is three years old and neutered. There’s two male cats that keep meowing at night to get her attention. She’s acting like she’s in heat when she hears or see them. I’m wondering if this is normal.

January 1, 2012 at 6:58 pm
(9) Linda Wright says:

My Short Haired British Blue got a bit overweight, not a lot, but is now on a diet advised by the vet. She has two floppy pouches is the only way I can describe. Will these go. She seems quite happy with her new diet by the way, I am trying to get her off the wet food and just give her Royal Canin Kibbles for British Shorthair. she loves these but I have to put just a few grams of wet foot, she does like it but never gets more than 20gms twice a day, because of this I reduce her recommended mount of 55gms per 24hrs to about 45gms. Does this sound about right.

Another thing that has started to surprise me is, I groom her everyday, she has started lifting her rear end when I get near to her tail, also rolls over and thrusts her lower end into the brush, this strikes me as very sexual behaviour, I am surprised by this.
On the other hand when women have a hysterectomy (and a female who is spayed has had about the same procedure) this doesn’t mean her sex life stops ‘cos she’s had the hysterectomy.
Please can you wise me up on this question, is my cat being aroused by the brushing or stroking near her tail end, and does her diet sound about right, she wieghs 8lbs and is 15months old. I know they can be big cats, but I would hate her to get as large as my son’s female, 17-20lb. HUGE…not good for her I am sure.
I would appreciated some feedback please
Linda
Linda

November 26, 2012 at 7:06 pm
(10) marsha says:

ok this is a hard one… I have a 13 year old female tuxedo cat who is spayed(princess Lazy)Lydia is her name. we have also a moved neighbors cat(he Moved an left this adorable tabby doubled pawed amazingMale) that I have fed for the last year who is terrified of her . the problem is I would catch an neauter him if I knew that my female would allow him to live in Harmony? helppppp what do I do?

December 13, 2012 at 7:02 pm
(11) holly says:

Hi marsha, regardless to whether he Will get on with your cat i would still have him neutered for his own well being.

March 12, 2013 at 3:05 pm
(12) Kylie says:

I have to male cats a 17 month old and one that’s a year old.the older one
Keeps jumping on the younger ones back as if he’s trying to mate.their both fixed.the younger one after this encounter will get tiered as if he is about to fall asleep!and their both males!?please help me!

August 10, 2013 at 4:45 am
(13) sean says:

hmm cats,- they are unique creatures, on the spayed issue i find them to be like humans , some will still try to mate others won’t , they have an instinct to pro create , like most spices , all animals have there own personality , do they still try to hump after being fixed – yes