1. Home

Franny Syufy

Does Your Cat Watch TV?

By January 15, 2006

Someone sent me the link to this article, and it was very timely, because I've been thinking about buying an HDTV for DH, who enjoys watching TV in bed. I'm starting to have second thoughts now, because his bed-buddy, Jaspurr, might just have other thoughts about the kind of shows he'd like to watch!

Poll: Does Your Cat Watch TV?

1) Never
2) He watches TV all the time
3) Only when there is a fly on the screen
4) Yes, but only nature shows
5) She loves videos made for cats
6) My cat prefers the real thing

My cat Billy, has become an avid TV watcher, as evidenced by the photo to the right. You can send your "TVWatching Cats" pictures to me for an upcoming gallery. Be sure to observe the Photo Submittal Guidelines when emailing photos.

Comments

February 17, 2009 at 3:28 am
(1) Seanette says:

My cat loves watching 24 with my husband.

September 16, 2009 at 5:44 am
(2) Maile says:

I have 3 cats that love watching Meerkat Manor on Animal Planet! They are so cute watching it!

November 17, 2009 at 9:36 am
(3) kloklo says:

I have 12 and each one of them has their preference. I recently bought a 40″ and I noticed that from time to time one of my cats (different one every time) will be hooked by a movie mainly because of the sound or the quick movements. Now one of my eldest is watching back to the future but her interest flaters with the dilogues…

January 9, 2010 at 4:58 am
(4) laura says:

hi there well my cat was watching tv then i put my hand infront of his eyes so he moved out the way and stated watching again

January 12, 2010 at 8:37 pm
(5) Natalie Roose says:

My cats name is Furrey after Mike Furrey from the Lions. Furrey is two yrs. old. Furrey just started watching tv and this is so funny cause he seems to watch sports. Well last night he decided to watch Fools Gold and he was really into it! This is the cutest thing ever!!! Tonight Furrey is watching the Red Wings I mean he is watching the puck. I have photos of him to email I want to submit them.

June 16, 2010 at 7:47 pm
(6) ECB says:

my cat watches lions of crocodile river! its hilarious! =D

October 29, 2010 at 5:44 am
(7) Shelley says:

My little girl cat is enjoying children’s tv as I type this. It’s a BBC program called 3rd and the bird. She’s just been watching Pablo the Little Red Fox.

My big ginger tomcat enjoys Iceage – it’s his favourite film

December 22, 2010 at 3:34 am
(8) Chandra says:

People think cats don’t watch tv? My cat watched the first 20 mins of the Prince of Persia very closely! Lol! Was so cute

January 19, 2011 at 3:40 pm
(9) Rachel says:

My cat loves watching tv. Our tv is a flat screen on the wall and she sits right underneath it. Sure she must get neck ache.

November 29, 2011 at 5:33 pm
(10) mjgan says:

my 16 year old cat started to watch tv, since I have this 32″ HDtv, but only nat geo wild channel, as soon as I change the channel, she stops watching it. she even makes her comments whilst she is watching it, so funny!!!

December 26, 2011 at 10:05 pm
(11) Anne says:

Can sitting close to the flat screen hurt them?

February 12, 2013 at 12:32 pm
(12) Mark says:

My cat does watch TV. Last night he got scared when a dog started to growl. Even befor the dog groweled my cat stood up on all fours and hunched his back when he first saw the god and when the dog growled my cat got scared and ran to hide. My cat loves nature and animal shows and does follow what he sees on screen. We have a 50″ lcd TV and everything looks life like. I disagree with those that state cats do not watch TV since i see him do it every day and he reacts to what he sees.

November 8, 2013 at 4:35 pm
(13) righthandfan says:

My cats like watching my fantasy football webpage on Yahoo when I make roster changes. She will even lightly meow/purr/lunge at my monitor when I start Stat sorting the columns. Funny as hell.