1. Home

Franny Syufy

NOT Recalled: Chicken Soup for the Cat Lover's Soul

By January 31, 2006

A concerned cat reader emailed me about the Diamond Pet Foods recall of certain foods. Her question was, "Isn't this cat food manufactured by Diamond...the company that has caused the death of so many dogs recently because of tainted ingredients???"

The short answer is "Yes, Diamond Pet Foods also manufactures the Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover's Soul." However, in fairness to the company, it also should be noted that the Chicken Soup products were not recalled.

The recalled brands of Diamond Pet Food contained toxic levels of aflatoxin, and the corn which developed this contaminant came from one single source. Since "Chicken Soup" contains no corn products, it was not recalled. The lack of corn is one of the reasons why I recommend Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover's Soul, and I will continue to recommend it and feed it to my own cats.

It is my opinion that the Diamond Pet Foods company has acted swiftly and responsibly in mitigating a tragic situation for all concerned. Anyone with doubts should read their Updates and Press Releases, and then form their own opinions.

Comments

April 13, 2007 at 12:46 pm
(1) Vicki says:

My cat is at the vet as I write. He is extremely sick with kidney failure after eating Chicken Soup for the Cat Lovers’ Soul. I don’t know if this is the reason for his illness, but I wanted you to have this information just in case.

April 18, 2007 at 4:55 pm
(2) VAL says:

I read that your product is not bbeing recalled as of 4/18/07 but that Diamond Food packaged the tainted RICE for Natural Balance, but that you dont use that rice in your products. This doesnt make sense to me, why wouldnt you use that rice? Why do you and/or How do you separate their rice from your rice? I have called you numerous times and youve always reassured me that your food is safe, what about now? This is all so unsettling & an outrage. My 5 dogs & 3 cats are my precious pets and more, please reassure me, I beg you. Also has anyone noted #1 comment by VICKI?

April 18, 2007 at 4:56 pm
(3) VAL says:

I read that your product is not being recalled as of 4/18/07 but that Diamond Food packaged the tainted RICE for Natural Balance, but that you dont use that rice in your products. This doesnt make sense to me, why wouldnt you use that rice? Why do you and/or How do you separate their rice from your rice? I have called you numerous times and youve always reassured me that your food is safe, what about now? This is all so unsettling & an outrage. My 5 dogs & 3 cats are my precious pets and more, please reassure me, I beg you. Also has anyone noted #1 comment by VICKI?

April 18, 2007 at 4:59 pm
(4) VAL says:

Vicki, how is your cat? Did you get a response from them? Was it can or dry food????

April 18, 2007 at 6:27 pm
(5) cats says:

Val: First, you and Vicki are both commenting to a blog post I made in January of last year about a completely unrelated food recall. I can understand that you might have landed on this page from a search.
Second, I am no way related to Chicken Soup or any other commercial enterprise. I am simply a writer about cats, who covers a large number of topics, including food recalls.

Having said all that, the complete list of recalled cat foods in 2007, is here, and Chicken Soup for the Cat Lover’s Soul is nowhere mentioned on the list. I also copied the list of ingredients for Chicken Soup for adult cats: Chicken, chicken meal, cracked pearled barley, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), ocean fish meal, white rice, potatoes, oatmeal, millet, natural chicken flavor, salmon, turkey, duck, flaxseed, sodium bisulfate, egg product, methionine, potassium chloride, choline chloride, dried chicory root, taurine, kelp, carrots, peas, apples, tomatoes, blueberries, spinach, dried skim milk, cranberry powder, rosemary extract, parsley flake, yucca schidigera extract, L-carnitine, Enterococcus faecium, Lactobacillus casei, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Saccharomyces cerevisiae fermentation solubles, dried Aspergillus oryzae fermentation extract, zinc proteinate, vitamin E supplement, niacin, manganese proteinate, copper proteinate, zinc sulfate, manganese sulfate, copper sulfate, thiamine mononitrate, vitamin A supplement, biotin, potassium iodide, calcium pantothenate, riboflavin, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, manganous oxide, sodium selenite, vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

The only rice mentioned is “white rice.” The current Natural Balance recall involves *rice protein concentrate*, which is an entirely different product. Under the circumstances, I see no reason to disbelieve whoever told you they don’t use “that” rice in their products.

Having said THAT, I’ll use the caveat that in the current climate things could change tomorrow, and “white rice” could become a new culprit in yet another recall.

If you’ll go to my main page at http://cats.about.com, you’ll see that I’ve been covering this current recall quite regularly, and try to keep up-to-date with the most current information.

Franny Syufy

April 18, 2007 at 6:50 pm
(6) Val says:

Thank you Franny & aloha from Hawaii. I saw this article was for 2006 but this seems to be the only place where we can voice ourselves. I do believe that in Chicken Soup can cat food it DOES say br.rice I did have a pkg. of Natural Balance for cats can & dry it DOENT mention rice protein concenttrate either. So please understand WE ARE SCARRED and feel LOST in this mess. WHats next?????? I pray each time I set their food bowls down that it isnt going to kill them. Thanks you for your time.

April 18, 2007 at 8:52 pm
(7) Valerie says:

Thank you Franny & aloha from Hawaii. I did see this article was for 2006 but this seems to be the only place where we can voice ourselves. I do believe that in Chicken Soup can cat food it DOES say br.rice I did have a pkg. of Natural Balance for cats can & dry it DOENT mention rice protein concenttrate either. So please understand WE ARE SCARRED and feel LOST in this mess. WHats next?????? I pray each time I set their food bowls down that it isnt going to kill them. Thanks you for your time.

October 1, 2007 at 11:14 am
(8) Tawnya says:

Hello,

IT IS LISTED AS RECALLED as of APRIL 27th.

Please visit the ASPCA’s Recall List below!!

ASPCA RECALL Pet Food

Best to all precious pets :o )

October 1, 2007 at 11:22 am
(9) Franny Syufy says:

TAWNYA: Excuse me, but PLEASE READ the blog post dates before making such a comment. You’ve replied to a post over a year and a half old! JANUARY, 2006.

The pet food recall was well covered on this site in 2007.

February 1, 2008 at 6:09 pm
(10) Elbie says:

Also, TAWNYA’s posted ASPCA list is for canned food. Chicken Soup for the Cat Lover’s Soul is DRY FOOD.