1. Home

Franny Syufy

Aminopterin Rat Poison Found in Contaminated Pet Food

By March 23, 2007

In a surprise announcement by the Associated Press, it was revealed that rat poison has been found in pet food listed in the recall. The details are not yet know, but the New York State Agriculture officials will hold a press conference today with further details. Until then, speculation continues that the rat poison (illegal in the United States) was used on wheat imported from China.

Again, I will be closely following this story and will post updates regularly throughout the day.

Update 1:54 p.m ET: an exclusive source of ABC News, who is said to be "close to the investigation" has identified aminopterin, a rat poison that is illegal in the U.S., in the tainted food. It is not know if this is the only toxin. Strangely enough, aminopterin is used in the United States as a cancer drug.

We're still awaiting the press conference announced for this afternoon.

Update 5:20 p.m. ET: While awaiting the announced press conference, Dr. Janet Tobiassen Crosby, About.com Guide to Veterinary Medicine, has investigated the chemical properties and symptoms of ingestion of aminopterin. It is still unknown exactly how long it takes for symptoms of poisoning to present after ingestion. If any readers with affected pets would care to share that information, it may be very helpful to worried pet lovers. I know that is a large request at a time of grief and worry, but we are all in this boat together.

Update 5:46 p.m. ET:The results of the press conference are coming through now, and it is confirmed that aminopterin was found in tested recalled pet foods, having been found in two of three samples provided by Menu Foods to the testing agencies' scientists. How, exactly, it got there is still a matter of speculation. An official from the National Pest Management Association, said that it wouldn't make sense to spray a crop with rat poison, but added that grain shippers routinely put bait stations around the perimeter of their storage facilities, according to MSNBC.

Bruce Akey, director of Cornell’s diagnostic center was quoted as saying that in dogs and cats, the amount of the chemical found in the tested samples was a substantial amount (40 ppm) can cause kidney failure, and that that was a substantial amount. Although one chemist speculated that the aminopterin would not appear in pet food "unless someone put it there," Paul Henderson, CEO of Menu Foods discounts tampering, because the recalled products came from two different plants, in Kansas and New Jersey. He went on to state that Menu Foods intends to test every ingredient in these recalled foods. For those of us who wait and worry, better sooner than later, Mr. Henderson.

Comments

March 23, 2007 at 3:13 pm
(1) Phil says:

So this is caused by imported wheat? Wheat also goes into people food – is there any examination of imported foodstuff to ensure that it does not contain toxic substances? And why, in the land of “amber waves of grain” are they IMPORTING wheat??? Is agriculture being outsourced to Asia too?

March 23, 2007 at 3:15 pm
(2) E says:

Oh

Dear

Something.

March 23, 2007 at 4:53 pm
(3) cats says:

Good question, Phil. Our About.com Guide to U.S. Politics had something to say about that subject, too.

Franny

March 23, 2007 at 5:26 pm
(4) 3tabbies says:

The article I read in CNN said they haven’t identified the source of the poison, so it may or may not be wheat.

March 23, 2007 at 6:10 pm
(5) Halle says:

I can’t believe that happened! It’s terrifying that this kind of stuff can happen and kill our pets without us even knowing. I just watched something on the news about it and it showed popular brands such as iams! I bet thousands of people feed their pets this, and all they can say is sorry.. itz sick.

March 23, 2007 at 6:11 pm
(6) Jodi says:

I am very very disappointed about this. I just saw on the news that it can be in food from as far back as mid december. Why did it take THREE MONTHS for these people to realize “oops, we’re poisoning animals” I hope somebody sues them… for big bucks, I really do. My cat seems to be fine right now, but he’s been eating one of those brands for a while. He also seemed very disappointed when we changed his food to a different brand/style. I love my cat dearly;if he gets sick, I don’t think I could handle it especially because of the huge financial burden that vet bills pose. I’m hopeful for my own cat and for all of your pets too. Good luck and I hope that these companies get what’s coming…

March 23, 2007 at 6:30 pm
(7) Tracy says:

I agree with Jodi! Any one whose animal dies from this should sue the livin pants off of the guilty source. Make it an example. Any thing else that happens to do with food comtaminates as far as people or animals need to be dealt with strongly.

March 23, 2007 at 6:38 pm
(8) Monique says:

I agree Franny that people need to come together and discuss this. “Menu Foods Class Action”, a new yahoo group has been formed. All of the various aspects of this grave tragedy are discussed there. Much useful info there as well.

Today I brought my 2 sacks of dry Science Diet food back to the pet store that I frequent. Yes, I have heard that the dry food is “supposed” to be safe. I have also heard of some animals becoming ill from dry food. Bottom line is-I do not trust Menu foods at all. I also will not support a company that performs nasty experiments on animals. PERIOD! I exchanged the dry Science Diet food for Paul Newman’s Own pet food. It costs more than the Science Diet but I don’t care because my Tun Tun is priceless.

March 23, 2007 at 9:21 pm
(9) Sandie says:

I had to put my beloved 8 year old Abbysinian to sleep not quite two weeks ago because she had renal failure. And guess what, she was eating one of the pouch foods from Walmart. I will happily join any class action suit to stick it to the companys pockets. I don’t want any money, just some justice for my cat.

March 24, 2007 at 12:11 am
(10) Shawn says:

Would like you to know that just before this news story released, my 1-1/2 year old beautiful cat died from acute kidney failure. Our veterinarian told us that it would take a poisoning of some sort, with a high level of toxicity. She was only an indoor cat. We fed her Special Kitty pouched cuts. She began acting funny, so I took her in to our vet, and after running several tests, they told me her chances of surviving were very slim. I didn’t want her to suffer, so we had her put to sleep. Now my beautiful cat that I adored is gone, and we have a huge vet bill to show for it.

March 24, 2007 at 3:12 am
(11) Janet says:

I was lucky, none of my cats ate that food. I was not so lucky with one of my dogs. We had to have her euthanized on March 3. She wasn’t even 3 years old. She ate the tainted food and got pancreatitus, which can lead to severe renal failure. I can’t prove this now, since she was cremated, but I sure would like to. I would really like to hit them where it hurts, their pocketbook.

March 24, 2007 at 3:15 am
(12) Patt Major says:

Every person I know, who owns a pet considers them to be family members – this news is both disgusting and infuriating BUT, it holds with the American mentality of Greed, Money and Power, doesn’t it? I hold the veterinarians responsible for the garbage pet food sold in the USA (and have been complaining, to no avail, since 1977). Veterinary practices, which market Science Diet, receive compensation from the manufacturer. The Fancy Feast cat food, sold in Australia, is manufactured in the USA according to Australian specifications. NO PET FOOD IS SOLD THERE WHICH IS NOT SAFE FOR HUMAN CONSUMPTION. It appears the vast majority of Americans NEVER THINK about a crawling infant having access to the pet food left on the floor. There are millions of websites with recipes for preparing pet food at home (I use my slow-cooker).
Remember the word BOYCOTT? It worked, for my generation, to keep the price of
eggs below $1 a dozen for a few years.
Sorry for the grief this has caused to you who have lost your pets.

March 24, 2007 at 8:51 am
(13) Terry says:

we lost our beloved cat “Porky” on 3/20.One day she stopped eating, became very weak, the next day she couldn’t walk. She died in my arms. Pet Smart sent me an email letting me know I had purchased some of the food on the list. A little to late. Sorry for everyone who is suffering. I know my 2 children are. I feeding my dog human food now.

March 24, 2007 at 9:00 am
(14) WB says:

This should scare everyone, since the contaminated food component could just as easily have been used in human food products (like energy bars, diet shakes, etc.) if it hadn’t been sold to the pet food plant. Let alone, as mentioned, people who eat pet food by accident or by choice.

Our entire food chain is industrialized and unless you grew it yourself, you don’t know where all of the ingedients came from. In many ways we have the safest food in the world, but we are still highly vulnerable when 1 ingredient can end up in products distributed nationwide.

Back in the 80′s it was contaminated tryptophan supplements. I as a hospital lab technologist and our hospital alone was following a dozen patients who had taken them and developed the blood condition eosinophilia. The toxic ingredient was traced to a single plant in Japan that supplied many of the vitamin and supplement manufacturers.

Personally and pet-oriented, about a year ago I started a new bag of dry food for my cat and she became listless and sickly soon thereafter. It was the same food I had been feeding her for years. I took her to the vet and her labs were normal. But now I really suspect that the formulation was off for that lot of food, at least, let alone there was an unknown contaminant.

March 24, 2007 at 9:58 am
(15) diane says:

My 15 yr. old boston terrier last week or so suffered what I thought was a stroke. Vet wanted to do a bunch of expensive tests to see. Can’t afford that. So I got her a shot of a steroid, she was eating bagged food Kibble and Bits and I changed her to Pettigree canned food to make it easier for her. Now I may have done wrong but didn’t see that food provider on the list. She has suffered only that her equilibrium is off and her head tilts just like a stroke. I think I will make her food to eat.

March 24, 2007 at 4:42 pm
(16) Denise says:

I have spent thousands of dollars and months going back and forth to vets to find my suffering cat has kidney failure and pancreantitis with all the other syptoms listed. Now the vet wants to do a $2000 Endoscopy/Colonoscopy which I can not afford! All along having fed her two of the brands on the list but not the actual can or pouch listed. One is in dry form, how do we know the dry hasn’t been affected as well and how do we find what foods are now GAURANTEED safe? Where is this list?? It’s torchure watching my cat suffer and can’t stand the thought of possibly feeding her something causing this and greatly appreciate any info on a sure safe diet.

March 24, 2007 at 11:50 pm
(17) Jennifer J. Sienko says:

To answer your question, yes, agricultural products are being outsourced. We are dairy farmers being paid slave wages and our govermnent allows imported dry milk powder in this country everyday? WHY? BECAUSE WE DO NOT MAKE ENOUGH ANYMORE TO FEED OUR POPULATION!!!We farmers produce a safe natural product. LET this be a lesson, our food chain is vulnerable to this kind of contamination because we allow so much food to come in this country because we have put our own farmers out of business. Tell your representatives enough is enough. We want home grown food from our farmers. WHY in heck are we importing wheat from CHINA? Why are we importing powdered milk from INDIA?

March 26, 2007 at 12:13 am
(18) jamie says:

it affects every animal diferently i had a puppy die in 18 hours and my other dog survied but was on iv for 2 weeks and my vet wont say yes it is the food even thoe i have 4 recalled cans left from what i was feeding them why the conterversy

March 26, 2007 at 7:56 pm
(19) TARA says:

MY DOG COCO DIED FROM THIS PRODUCT OROLS DOG AND WALMART STILL IS SELLIND IT TO THERE CUSTUMERS .I WHAT THEM TO TAKE RESPONDALBE FOR KILLING OUR FAMILY MEMBERS.

March 27, 2007 at 12:32 am
(20) jamie says:

your totaly right i was at walmart today and i saw that i dont under stand how they can get away with it .if this was human being it would be a totaly diferent story .is ther not a test that can be taken to pruve the animal ate the food yet .i my self i think i am going with mercant law group to join the class action law suit agains menu foods ..

March 27, 2007 at 3:17 am
(21) anne says:

aminopterin is a teratogenic abortifacient.

March 27, 2007 at 2:47 pm
(22) sheri says:

Please post here if you know how to get vet bills reimbursed. I know it’s a small monetary matter compared to the loss of his dear companion, but my father’s dog died after massive vomiting and bloody stool for three days after eating Ol’Roy food. The vet even asked at the time if it was possible she got into rat poison, and my dad said no, he doesn’t have any in the house. I’d like to see him get his bills reimbursed, even though nothing will ever replace Maggie. Thanks.

March 27, 2007 at 2:51 pm
(23) john says:

could this pet food contamination
go back as far july or august 2006?
our beloved cat ziggy had consumed
dry food made by co on list and wet
food (prescription) and canned food
by co on list but cant prove it
didnt keep any cans .
ziggy devl diabeties and then heart murmur. he was always thirsty and
urinated excessivly became very bloated
lethargic and just plain very sick.
by end of sept he was so sick the vet
said to put him down.
i understand ziggy’s issues probably
weren not related to this pet food
contamination but gotta tell you iam
not convinced and it is breaking my
heart

March 27, 2007 at 3:50 pm
(24) Jennifer says:

I’m still confused about how long is long enough if your pet hasn’t shown symptoms after eating the suspected variety of catfood. I gave my four cats the Iams pouch-style food about 1 1/2 to 2 months ago (only 2 boxes worth). To this date none appear worse for the wear, but should I still be concerned? I can’t even remember what flavor the pouches were and, of course, the empty packets have long gone to the trash dump, I can’t check the box codes. Should I be rushing them all to vet for blood tests?

March 27, 2007 at 7:25 pm
(25) Judy says:

I do not trust any of the canned foods that were made at MENUFOOD at this time. Wellness, Wysong, Nature’s Variety, and many of them used this plant for their canned foods even though not on the recall list. I do not trust it.

March 27, 2007 at 7:27 pm
(26) Judy says:

There is very big law firm getting a class action suit going for any that have been affected.

March 27, 2007 at 10:49 pm
(27) Ian says:

Does anyone have a list of the products affected? I am using Ol’Roy as a suppliment, but am also wondering about Kibbles and Bits.

March 28, 2007 at 1:14 am
(28) stacie says:

I lost 2 kittens,2 adult cats,and 1 dog past 3 months.` our vet was baffled.but know it makes sence.

March 28, 2007 at 6:26 pm
(29) jm says:

My beautiful cat is dead after eating contaminated “special kitty” food. I had no idea what could be wrong until I took him to the vet and he was in kidney failure. It was too late. He had been with me for 13 years. Does anyone know if there is a class action lawsuit?

March 29, 2007 at 3:05 pm
(30) Barb says:

My question is why are they using wheat from China when we have farmers in the midwest with tons of wheat? Or this is wheat that we sell to Russia, they in turn sell to China to use in the petfoods that we Americans buy?

March 29, 2007 at 7:06 pm
(31) margie says:

my dad gave my cat recalled food and made him sick

March 29, 2007 at 7:17 pm
(32) Susan says:

I take a lot of flack for being more vigilant about what I feed my cats than what I feed myself but, even so, it seems I escaped this deep sorrow by the skin of my teeth. I switched from a few Eukanuba pouch foods (in fact, instinctively threw them out) in favor of the Natural Balance line in the nick of time. I intend to return ALL Max Cat foods to the store–even those not currently on the list. My heart goes out to everyone who didn’t escape this abomination.

March 29, 2007 at 7:56 pm
(33) Anne says:

I am disappointed in people like Jodi, who “couldn’t handle” her cat becoming ill from the affected food especially because of the vet bills! My 5 cats are family to me, and their comfort and well-being is of upmost importance to me. If any one of them suffered/died due to contaminated food or any other cause, their suffering and death would be my major concern-not the vet bill. I’m not wealthy, but my cats’ well-being is more important than any expense incurred to protect or save their lives. I’m fortunate to have a credit card so that I can pay off vet bills in small increments when necessary.

March 29, 2007 at 10:51 pm
(34) Linda says:

I was feeding my 2 cats special kitty can food, so far they seem ok, Im not sure what to look for, cananyone help. We started feeding them tuna. we are so worried we are afraid to feed them anything. Can anyone share what they are now feeding there cats. I would love to hear from you and get your imput. I pray for all of our animals and now for us, Im sure they will find a way to mess up our food chain.

March 29, 2007 at 10:57 pm
(35) fanny says:

TO MENU FOODS …YOU DISGUST ME IT SEEMS THAT IT WAS SOME KIND OF CONSPIRACY TO KILL OFF OUR ANIMALS. SO WHAT IS STOPPING TERORIST FROM DOING SAME? stop importing that crappy stuff from overseas………..

March 30, 2007 at 12:00 am
(36) Lavender says:

Can someone tell me which brands Menu Foods manufacture? I have read “Science Diet” as one of them in the previous comments, but I do not see them mentioned in the recall lists. How do we find out who actually manufactures the foods we feed our animals?

March 30, 2007 at 1:07 am
(37) Jerry says:

why are the folks writing in here complaining about “vet bills”?
you choose to own an animal, the responsibility is accepted to see that the animal has a safe and good life.Ive spent over a grand on my cat, never once thinking about $. Its about love and being responsible towards him.And no, im not wealthy by any measure.

March 30, 2007 at 1:15 am
(38) Jerry says:

why am i seeing the $ comments regarding taking care of your animal?If you can’t afford to take very good basic care of your animals, why do you own them. They give us so much love and joy, they should be treated accordingly.My cat OWNS me and my house, he is a treasure, and well cared for.

March 30, 2007 at 1:46 am
(39) melissa says:

First off, I just want to say that to the people attacking the others because of concerns for bills, leave them alone. WE are all in this together and should be more worried about attacking the menu foods company and STICKING together as animal lovers than snickering at one another. It is a big deal to have to pay for a vet bill when some idiotic pet food company is making them sick and probably on purpose. The point is that it’s the companies fault this happened and it by all means could have been avioded. Its sick that we have to worry now about our pets eating crap, not just us eating things like spinach with ecoli and cheese with samonila. Just plain sick. WE ALL should take action on them and make them hear what we have to say.

March 30, 2007 at 9:41 pm
(40) Linda says:

Jerry, it’s not about the vet bills or the money, people who make the food should take better care on what they are making for our pets. I feel that they should pay us for the vet bill’s, after all its was the food they made that made our beloved cats and dogs SICK. We can never bring them back, but something can be done to make sure that it does not happen again.

March 30, 2007 at 9:49 pm
(41) bob says:

My best friend, my cat, Pokey, died after eating only a small portion of the catfood, laden with aminopterin. She was the greatest animal on the planet. Her kidneys failed and her muscles weakened, and she was crawling to me later that night. Her bladder discharged, and I washed her and tried to figure out the problem. The fleas jumped off, as her blood was now poisoned, and she lost motor control, and just died in my arms basically. Only later did I learn of the poisoned cat food. The “wheat from China” is a finger-pointing motion. It was PUT THERE to eliminate cats, or perhaps to eliminate a cat food company. It was the most cruel mass murder I have ever heard of. It killed cats across the country. My cat was my best friend. I would love to find out who did that. I would be at their doorstep with federal agents within hours.

March 31, 2007 at 1:31 am
(42) Viv says:

Nothing could console me if contaminated cat food harmed my cats, but I have heard of homeless people eating cat and dog food because they couldn’t afford regular food. Have there been any cases of humans becoming ill from eating contaminated cat or dog food, or has anyone been checking?

March 31, 2007 at 2:04 am
(43) Rae says:

I’m so sick or seeing the majority of products we purchase, including foods coming from third world countries. First hand information, they do not hold to our standards. We should be purchasing from US farms and companies as they are quickly disappearing. I say boycott the companies putting foreign products into all our foods. We believe that paying extra for our pet foods will provide healthier results. Never did I suspect that the more high end pet foods are just labeled distributors. These pet foods are manufactured somewhere? ingredients from somewhere? and the companies just put their label on the pet products. No more ignorance, I will do my homework. I will look for pet products totally USA & no animal testing – even if I have to mail order, no problem now. My heart goes out to all who have lost a pet from this tragic but preventable incident.

March 31, 2007 at 6:42 am
(44) Heidi says:

It’s interesting that Hill’s Science Diet has finally added dry food, however it’s only the feline dry m/d kind thus far. My cat’s got all the same symptoms and sick off of their c/d dry. My cats got sick several weeks before the recall. I think that the pet food manufacturers that are insisting on the dry food being safe try eating it themselves to find out what happens to them. My vet doesn’t want to listen to me about my former pet food (I no longer will feed my cats the c/d) being contaiminated. Does anyone know where I can get it tested? Also, what about cross contaimination? If you buy plain M&M’s the bag warns ‘may contain peanuts’, well if one dry food is being recalled, what about the other dry food that was mostly likely made on the same machinery in the same place? Do they sterilize and thoroughly clean the food making machines before they start making a new brand? Or do they have just one type of machine for one type of food?

March 31, 2007 at 10:26 pm
(45) katherine says:

I was in Walmart today and noticed they still have Ole Roy Dog Food. Why are they ignoring what is going on?

March 31, 2007 at 10:34 pm
(46) Linda says:

Has any one ever made home made cat food? If so can you pass us the recipe, I sure would love to have one. I would rather make their food, this way it will be safe for them to eat, I have been giving them tuna, Im afraid to give them even the dry food now, someone said to look for (wheat gluten) so now I will look at the label before buying. My cats ate the food but so far have not gotten sick, as soon as I heard the news I took it back to wal-mart, and they still have some on the selves. But I will have them checked out though at my vet.

April 1, 2007 at 2:04 am
(47) lilianna says:

why you have company Arm&Hamme ad on your webside. Is not true that this company is testing on animals? What is the different between companies which make milions selling poisone food and slowly kilinig our babies and companies testing on animals and kiling them also in different ways?

April 2, 2007 at 6:16 am
(48) Gord says:

We had one of our 2 sister cats of 15 years, Emily, put down March 14. She was leaving puddles of odourless urine for about 2 weeks. She stopped eating except for the ‘gravy’ in some packaged cat food. We didn’t know that was making her worse. We also fed her blended people food with an eye dropper until the sores in her mouth made this too hard. The other cat Charlotte has Feline Herpes virus for months and we thought she would die first. She mainly eats dry cat food. She is still with us although thin and discharging from her eyes. It was sad to see Emily go, especially for our daughter who at 20 had her most of her life. A few days later the news about the tainted food came out.

April 2, 2007 at 1:38 pm
(49) Lorie says:

two days into a new case od Fancy Feast Elegant medleys Chicken Floretine, my young cat (5yrs) stopped wanting to eat not even tempted with her favorite lunch meat treat, she started to gag and drool when shown food, this was Friday March 22nd, blood test came back normal, so we thought she had a blockage,by Saturday night my older cat (9yrs) was showing similiar symptoms. it is a little over a week now and both seem returning to old self have switched to Merricks wet food and Solid Gold dry only 2 I can find not associated with Munu foods, the youngest cat also was eating hills C/d that is mentioned above by someone else as causing issues. My oldest will not bother with that food. Just beware of Fancy Feast medleys, and another point is if Hills C/D is making cats sick it has corn gluten not wheat gluten in it so there goes the theory of avoiding wheat, Geisha also had a scope and biopsy done this past Monday all test come back normal. So you tell me was it the food?

April 2, 2007 at 8:22 pm
(50) Jennifer says:

This should never have happened in the first place, they should only have plants in the U.S.A. and we would not be in this mess!!!! I will never feed my cat or dog pet food again.my trust in the FDA. is gone. I would like to know how come the food is not tested before putting it into the cans and sealing them for sale? my friends 2 dogs are still in the animal hospital and her mothers dog.My dog was tested today. These poor animals,they are like children and have complete trust in us to not feed them POISON!! and we have trust in our government which I feel should regulate the products coming from china and other countries before FEEDING people and pets.

April 2, 2007 at 8:42 pm
(51) Jennifer says:

here is a great website for information on recalled foods.

April 4, 2007 at 8:33 am
(52) Assia says:

My dearest cocker spaniel Sara died this morning because of kidney failure. She was 9 years old, but extremely healthy, and very lively, and my best friend. It all happened in a matter of days and we are all completely shocked and bewildered. I just read about contaminated dog food this morning, after finding out she died. I live in the UK, but my family and Sara live in Bulgaria. She eats mostly dry food and I am most certain she ate from the contaminated variety even though it is officially claimed it is only available in the USA. Nothing can bring her back, and a small bit of my heart died with her. Right now I am completely devastated, especially after finding out about this big conspirary and the hipocrisy of large dog food chains only caring about their profits. May Sara rest in peace!! I love you.

April 6, 2007 at 3:12 am
(53) Larry says:

Our cat had an episode diagnosed as “feline urinary tract disease” late August 2006. He was rescued from this with IV fluids at great expense as soon as we noticed he kept visiting and straining in the cat box. We noticed blood in the urine and took him to the vet right away.

He was very alert, active and smart. If you rolled one of his cat toys past him, he sprang into action, stalking it around the room as though it were alive.

By October, he was lethargic and despondant. He no longer has any interest in his toys. At this point, he is just plain unwell and mostly he is like a ragdoll when you pick him up. He’s not showing the ovurt symptoms of throwing up and dying or excessive drinking and urinating, but his health clearly took a dramatic turn for the worse following this episode. The vet asked us at the time if his diet had changed. We mostly fed him kibbles but on occasion gave him some canned cat food as a “treat”. At the moment, I won’t mention brands because they are not listed in the recalls yet. Now I am doubting his kibbles too. I’m reading the kibbles lable and there are substantial amounts of calcium, phosphorus and vitamin D3 in the product. Oh, did I mention “animal digest”. I thought after the mad cow scare, they stopped serving animal remnants to other animals.

Crunchy, who was named after his favorite food which was any food that crunched, seemed to get over his accute urinary problem within a few days. His painful straining to urinate passed and we thought he was fine after that. He went back to exploring outside and keeping the fence line patrolled free of mice and birds. He lost interest in these activites soon. A month later, the new problem of lethargy and dysthmia emerged. His eyes now look blank and vacant. His eyes used to sparkle with attention and his ears would stand up proud. His fur is now dull and unattended. Just six months ago, his fur was beautiful and glossy, nicer than any mink coat. He always kept himself groomed spiffy. Not any more. He looked and acted quite younger than we suspect he is.

I don’t know if the food sold in August 2006 was contaminated, but I now have a deep suspicion. Really, for months we have been trying to figure out what is wrong with Crunchy because his energy and spark, exploration, aggression and excitement he had beginning every new day is just gone.

The FDA has been useless through all this, prefering to place blame off-shore. And where is Dept of Homeland Security? If this crap came from off-shore, it crossed our borders somewhere, probably port of Philadelphia or NY. Hasn’t it occured to anyone that our food chain is vulnerable to terrorist tampering? Food destined for animals might well be fed to animals farmed for human consumption. I also doubt this is limited to problems with wheat gluten. Other grain products used in kibbles such as corn meal, soybean meal etc are grown, harvested, stored, shipped and processed under the same or simlar practices. Why is food before December perfectly fine and late March we learn it’s killing our pets? I think it’s taken a while for people to connect dead pets with their food.

If you go to the FDA web site, they list fifty different phone number to call somoeone in fifty different state. That’s fifty different phone numbers to field complaints. They should rather be collecting data at a central point such as Bethesda, Maryland via an internet form. If the FDA were truely interested in learning the magnitude and source of the problem, they would have an online questionaire. That would at least assemble the data all in one locaton for review. It would at least make sure that no one’s complaint was dismissed as unimportant by the call taker because he was an old cat anyway. It would also helpful to assemble lists of foods with the number of complaints for all the food names and types including dates of manufacture in a large data bank. By collecting data, including product names, lot numbers animal’s age and health, location, point of purchase etc, The FDA could have some notion of the severity of the problem and the route of contamination.

As it is now, “19 cats died from food contamination” and everyone elses cat is supposedly live and safe again. Do pet owners here belive that? I don’t.

Has anyone here called the FDA to explain their dead cat to them? What is the response from the other end? I want to know if they just console owners of the dead cat or dead on the phone or are they also asking important questions and entering results into the database. Are they interested in specifics that show they are doing more than running through the motions of being interested.

I really don’t think the FDA wants to know these answers because this toxic food stuff passthrough on their watch. and was manufactured in an FDA approved plant. It’s easier to blame the problem on China.

Golly I count around twenty cats or so reported on this board as dead from eating this tainted pet food. I only read of 16 fatalities in the news. My uncle had tree cats. One died and the other two are in the process of expiring. This is one huge cover up. The numbers of dead pets and more importantly the larger number of injured pets will now to live shortened lives while suffering with chronic disabling health problems is under counted and under reported.

April 8, 2007 at 9:27 pm
(54) Linda says:

Larry; I just heard that there are almost 4000 animals that have died from the food, our boys cat died also from the food, I feel that this has been going on now for a while and only brought to us now cause many animals are dying. Im going to buy my cats a product call Welliness food, its all natural, I have read the list of things that go in it, they are all natural with fruits, veggies, and flax oils etc. There is no gluetin in it at all and no grains either. So we must find better ways to feed our pets. I read labels now and if there is wheat or corn gluetin I wont buy it at all. So even if its not on the list but it contains that ingredident I wont buy it at all. So please read, read labels. I wish everyone the best. I also was giving my 2 cats the bad food, but they are doing ok, vet checked them out. I was luckyand so were they. take care

April 9, 2007 at 4:59 pm
(55) jd says:

has any aminopterin shown up in dry cat food? has anyone heard of or seen any news on aminopterin after 4/1. I had 2 precious cats die w/in the last 1-1/2 years. Vet said one of them ate a poison lizard. A different vet said the 2nd one must have eaten a poisoned plant. Both severely lost strengt and the ability to keep liquids or food down, even with eye dropper; they also had to urinate often and eventually suffered renal failure. All of these cats were rescued cats and I’m scared about the 2 I have left.

April 9, 2007 at 10:45 pm
(56) Rosa says:

My heart goes out to everyone who lost a pet. A friend lost her precious cat and is now interested in the class action suit. Does anyone have information about this and how to get on it? Thank you

April 10, 2007 at 10:51 pm
(57) Larry says:

As we nurse our ill cat Crunchy and look on the internet for anything that will make him feel better, I stumbled across news that the chief financial officer of Menu Foods Income Fund (Mark Wiens) sold $102,900 worth of his Menu Food shares on Feb 26 and Feb 27th 2007.

Says Wiens “the timing is a horrible coincidence”. Could it be as financial officer, he had already been busy estimating the costs of this recall for Menu Foods? No, its just a coincidence because Mark Wiens has the highest of ethical standards according to his own accounts.

When did Menu Foods actually know they were killing our beloved pets? Since the recall goes back to December 2006 on numerous products, they knew sooner and concealed this for months while they murdered our pets.

April 13, 2007 at 1:41 pm
(58) Katie says:

You need to do something about this problem and you need to do it quick! I, like others dont want animals to get sick or die. DO SOMETHING RIGHT AWAY SO NO MORE ANIMALS ARE HARMED!

April 16, 2007 at 12:31 am
(59) Jean says:

My Cat Phillie did eat some of the tainted recalled food by iams. I had taken her to the vet prior to fining out about the recall this past Feb. The vets stated she was in kidney failure with a 106 temp. They couldn’t figure out why. They finally got her temp down and fluids in her and after three days she came home. She was on clavamonx. At her recheck she needed fluids and the continue the clavamox for another 4 weeks. But on 3/26/07 I noticed Phillie was hissing at things and becoming skidish. 3/28/07 This synthom occured again this time she attacked me 3 times.
We took here to the vet and found out that she at that her eyes were dialated and she couldn’t blink. She was blinded. It was temporary. After a little while she was back to here self. The vet said when looses a sense others are heightened and cat would attack what ever is close. Especially if they are afaid and can’t see.
Phillie was really good for a week after this incident. But the following weekend she exibited the same symtoms again. She hissed and then attacked my sister. The following day She attacked me again and then my husband. After she did this she would cry and then hiss. So she still must not have been able to see. We had to but her down. I am very upset over all of this. She was only 18 months old. I was wondering if anyone else has seen any symtoms like this with there animal.

A whole week went by and she seemed fine. But the following weekend she attacked my sister. Then the following day she had another eposide. She atacked me twice and my husband once. We had to put her to sleep because of this. I am so so sad. I was wondering if anyone else out there had any simular circumstances happened to there cat.

April 24, 2007 at 12:48 pm
(60) Raeann says:

John that posted a comment on march 27,2007 at 2:51 pm i to am with you i think that this has went on longer than when they started recalling the food i to had a pet that had all these’s sings from the recall and he did eat the brands recalled but the lot number was off by 200 but i think this is what killed my baby jessy boy and he to died back in july i do still have his left over food and i am trying to find some place to have it tested because i really think that this is what killed my family dog but to us he was not just a dog he was part of are family and i am still having a hard time with him being gone. my heart gos out to all for i truely know how you are feeling and going through my family is still dealing with are loss.

May 12, 2007 at 2:49 pm
(61) eileen lucia says:

all my cats were eating MD
dried cat food. Now one of them is showing signs of health problems. How do I join the law suit that is going on. The cost of the tests is very expensive eileen lucia

April 3, 2008 at 7:06 am
(62) Assia says:

Sara, it’s been almost a year, my love. I’ll never forget you. Rest in peace.

May 5, 2010 at 8:44 am
(63) Nathan says:

i’m way too late for this thread; we just found our little guy dead in the alley yesterday with strange grains like sawdust in his nostrils and cheek fur (as though it drooled out of his mouth), and so i am looking for information about poisoning in cats and stumbled across this thread. he was young and very healthy and i am curious about the effects of rat poisoning. i saved a sample of the “poison,” since i suspect foul play, but anyway reading these posts breaks my heart and scares me since i didn’t know pet food was so easily (and broadly) contaminated, so i want to say since apparently it’s not obvious, NEVER SHOP AT WAL-MART. “save money live better” is an egregious insult to anything that has ever called itself American, and it has been since the mom-and-pop-destroying hellhole opened its first store, whenever it was. they don’t care about our pets and they don’t care about us. i’m sorry to everyone who has lost a pet to these bastards and their greed. our hearts are broken. we miss our little guy very much. thank you.

November 15, 2010 at 8:39 pm
(64) Kathy says:

I think this is happening again. We have two dogs, one dog is suffering from rat poison symptoms the other dog is healthy because she did not eat the new dog food from Walmart.

January 10, 2011 at 1:04 am
(65) Spy says:

January 10, 2011 at 1:51 pm
(66) Franny Syufy says:

Spy, you have replied to a blog posted in 2007, which refers to the massive Menu Food pet food recall of that year.

Veterinarians had absolutely nothing to do with these tainted pet foods. The issue boiled down to greedy, morally-deprived importers who were importing and distributed melamine-tainted fillers from China.

So your Greed, Money, Power statement was at least partially correct.