1. Home

A reader asks:

My six month old recued kitten won't leave my adult cat alone. I've tried everything, but the (indoors-only) kitten attacks the older cat every time he comes indoors. It has reached the point that the older cat, who is an indoor-outdoor cat rarely wants to come inside now. I love the kitten and don't want to have to get rid of him, but it really isn't fair to my older cat the way things are now. What would you suggest?

Please read my reply before posting your comments.

Comments

January 29, 2007 at 10:46 am
(1) jennnnnn says:

I have a female who had ONE baby before she was a year old. We kept him.
He passed away in September 2004.
In December 2005 I got a brand new female kitten.
The 8 year old female suffered from this problem.
It has been just over a year now and they are co-existing peacefully.
The older one still doesn’t want to play and the younger one still tries to get her to… but time has definitely helped.
Now I can tell they really do love each other!
Don’t give up.

January 29, 2007 at 2:08 pm
(2) Joe Ellen says:

I would try getting another kitten so the two kittens will wear each other out. That’s the setup I currently have so our older cat can play with the kittens she she wats to but she can also come and relax with me while the kittens run crazy if she’s not in the mood.

January 29, 2007 at 3:03 pm
(3) Jen says:

I suggest a second kitten as well. My friend has an older cat and two younger cats who entered the household as kittens together, and they kept each other busy enough to avoid upsetting the older cat – usually! :-)

January 29, 2007 at 3:56 pm
(4) Meowfreak says:

I had the same problem with an 8 year old cat and a kitten. The 8 year old was given spaces that the kitten couldn’t get into, so that he could retire when he wanted a break and wasn’t contantly bothered by the kitten. Now they co-exist just perfectly and now they have boundaries where the younger one knows when and where he can play with the older one. It takes time and the cats have to do a certain amount of shuffling of the hierarchy, but they will work it out. Just make sure that your older one has a place that he/she can go inside to get away from the kitten.

January 30, 2007 at 12:38 pm
(5) hpottermomma says:

Hang in there. It really will get better with time. My daughter brought home a kitten about a year ago and we had another cat, which was 4 years old at the time and used to being the Lord of the Manor. It helped that I introduced them slowly to each other and also made sure we played with the kitten as much as possible when we were home to keep him from bugging big brother while we were gone. The thing to be careful of too is to make sure you still pay attention to big brother and reassure him that he isnít being replaced. Our older cat was a little jealous but also very curious with the new arrival. We had play time with both of them together as well as individual time with each of the cats and it worked. Now they get along better then I had ever hoped for. It just took patience.

June 4, 2007 at 10:14 am
(6) Mura says:

January 14, 2008 at 8:51 pm
(7) chris chan says:

My two kittens follow my 2 older indoor/outdoor cats around and they don’t like coming in either. So much for the 2 kittens theory. But it is getting better over time. I almost adopted the kittens out a few months ago, but I’m glad I didn’t. I felt bad for my older cats because they did get the short end of the stick for a while, but they are coexisting for a few hours at a time these days…and they’re all males. I got the 2 older ones about a month apart as 1-year old kittens and they never did like each other either. Still don’t. But, it’s better than being put to sleep in a shelter!