1. Home

This is a re-post of a blog published almost five years ago, which is still receiving frequent comments with cat descriptions and the request to identify the "breed" of the cat. It's partly my fault for "assuming" that visitors would read the linked article instead of perceiving the title as an invitation to ask the same question. Hey, guys and gals. Please read these two articles:

I hope after doing so, many of you will be able to comment "Thanks, Franny! I was able to determine that my cat is a DSH calico (or DSH tabby, DLH red and white, DLH Maine Coon mix)" etc. Just for ducks, the picture photo is of my Jenny, a DSH calico. For those who simply can't abandon the focus on breeds, I'm going to borrow an idea from a former About.com Guide, who created an "American Champion Cat Breed" certificate. Henceforth, if asked what breed is your cat, you can proudly say, "He's an American Champion." (I have four of them, including Jenny.)
Photo Credit: © Franny Syufy

Original Post - From a reader:

Can you tell me what breed my cat is? my cat is is orange with lighter orange stripes and has a little white on her chest and parts of her paws. And she is really fluffy. Can you help me, please?

Comments

April 6, 2007 at 7:12 pm
(1) Michelle says:

I’ve always been really curious to know what kind of breed my cat is. I’m pretty sure he’s a mixed breed. I’d like to know what breed he is. He’s black and white and very fluffy. He has long black fur on each of his cheeks and a big fluffy black tail. He gets fur matts if it is not properly groomed. In the light his black fur will sometimes give a brownish/reddish tinge. He resembles a tuxedo cat. He has white in the front and half a diamond of white on his head. His stomach is all white and so is his paws. He also has a little white spot on his back. He has a pale pink nose and yellow eyes. It looks like he wears eyeliner because that is where the white starts. Will you please tell me what kind of cat he is? Thank you.

April 30, 2007 at 6:09 pm
(2) Samantha Moser says:

I have been wondering what type of cat mine is. He is black with a few patches of dark dark brown. He has some patches of white on his chest and near his private area. It is hard to get him to meao sometimes and medium sized yellow eyes. He doesnt shed very often and is very sweet. Could you help me?

Thanks,
Samantha and Bubby

May 6, 2007 at 9:01 am
(3) gina says:

i have a kitten i bought from a shelter she is very beautiful but i have no clue to what kind she is. she is black and orange with eyes that change from a tiger eye brown to a pale greenish yellow….she also has a racing stripe going down her nose thats like a creamsickle color. she has short hair…
can anyone tell me what breed this cat is? any help would be appreciated.

May 19, 2007 at 11:00 am
(4) Christine Michaud says:

I HAVE A CAT, BUT I DON’T KNOW WHAT TYPE SHE IS. SHE HAS FUR LIKE A BUNNY,BLACK EARS, A BLACK SMUDGE ON HER NOSE,BLUE EYES,A LIGHT COPPER HEAD,A BLACK TAIL,LIGHT COPPER SPOTS ON HER BACK, BLACK SPOTS ABOVE HER ANKLE,[1 SPOT PER ANKLE]A DARK BROWN SPOT BELOW HER MOUTH,AND THE REST IS ALL WHITE.

June 22, 2007 at 12:54 am
(5) Nicole says:

We have a cat that has adopted us. It is large, very fluffy, dark,blue grey. Very affectionate.
Do cats drink milk? We do not feed it and gather it goes to another home for food. Feel guilty giving it attention but it is gorgeous.

June 22, 2007 at 6:45 pm
(6) Mary says:

I dont know what kind of cat mine is.Im pretty sure hes a mixed breed. Hes black and white and very fluffy.His black fur will give a golden tinge. He has a pale pink nose.Please tell me what kind of cat he is? Thank you.

June 25, 2007 at 5:55 am
(7) vanessa says:

I really wanna know what breed of cat i have.Shes all black,with yellow eyes,smooth,not fluffy,thin,and has really tiny face…i wish i new but she doesn’t have any thing really different on her for me to notice..just simple black.

September 24, 2011 at 8:23 am
(8) Sara says:

I have a female cat that looks exactly like that. She is 4 pounds, petite, small face, soft and shiny medium length brownish-black hair, squirrel like tail, but not fluffy, with big yellow eyes! I would love to know if she is a breed or just a DMH. If you got an answer please share with me. Thanks!

July 1, 2007 at 12:10 pm
(9) Cali says:

Im wonder what breed my cat is also. Hes half russian blue,gray and he has a tuxedo look because his cheast has a white diamond. Also hes big and tubby looking. He also eats my other cats food which worries me. I want to know if thats nomal for his type of cat. Someone please help me!

August 8, 2007 at 2:46 pm
(10) Greg & Shell says:

We have two unrelated cats, one is 3 years old and the other about 5 months, and both are completely black with yellow eyes. Is there a name for this variation? I’ve read that all black cats are very rare, since many were put to death as witch’s familiars in England in the 16th and 17th centuries. How common are these traits, and what is the name of the type or breed? Thanks in advance.

August 9, 2007 at 9:59 am
(11) Vanessa says:

I have a dark dark brown fluffy cat and he has green eyes and only likes certen people i don’t know what kind of cat he is.

August 15, 2007 at 7:55 pm
(12) Miss Jenn says:

My brother’s cat is blue/grey with a white chest and white paws. I have been trying to look up what breed that is w/ no results. Help!
XoXo

August 15, 2007 at 8:50 pm
(13) kristael says:

my cat is black and yellow with a lot of stripes all over her body. she has a small head and big eyes and ears her head is the shape of a triangle and her ears are v shaped

August 30, 2007 at 8:40 pm
(14) Anna says:

my cat is white short hair with brown spots she has a sister from the same litter that is maine coon and has orange spots on her and is long hair. these cats look nothing alike but i want to know what type the short hair is.

September 20, 2007 at 6:46 pm
(15) michelle says:

hi…i have a solid black cat and ill sing to him and hell put his pw on my mouth….its hillirious

October 4, 2007 at 3:46 pm
(16) Kaitlyn says:

My cat has long hair, she has blue eyes.Her belly is snow white and she has black on the heels of her feet. Her feet are snow white.She has black and light brown markings on her face all the way down to the edge of her back. Her tail is black and white. No ones has been able to tell me type of cat she is. Her behavior is just like a siamese. and In the morning she will run all over ther house and into the blinds really loudly. Its really funny.

October 5, 2007 at 4:01 pm
(17) adoree says:

My cat has a white triangle under his throat and the rest is black.Can you help me?

October 11, 2007 at 9:56 pm
(18) Juliann Sliwa says:

Iam trying to figure out what breed of cat Mr.Mistoffolees is. He is a long haired black cat. His coat is extremely shiny and silky. He has bright yellow eyes. He is affecionate, playful, but independant. Likes what he he likes when he wants it.
I was thinking maybe bombay or burmese or something along those lines.
Can you help me figure it out?
Thanks
Juliann
p.s. I have sent pictures of him to you in the past.

October 14, 2007 at 2:37 am
(19) Alyson says:

There is a new test called Wisdom Panel. It is DNA testing for dogs, with a small blood sample you can have your dog tested to see what type of breed he is….I wonder when they are going to come up with cat testing, that would be awesome!

October 15, 2007 at 7:02 pm
(20) Kate says:

Can anyone identify what breed my new kitty is? Zena is medium fur, very soft fur. Black markings on body, legs and head. Pink nose, looks like she is smiling. Have a pic. Please please can u help?

October 19, 2007 at 1:55 am
(21) Yami says:

I want to know what breed my cats are… theyre all pure bred as i can tell by the spots on their tounges, and they are all black with a white spot on there chest, and some with a little white on their belly. Theyre all slender and everyone of them has a very long thin tail. Does anyone know what they could be?

October 19, 2007 at 1:59 am
(22) Yami says:

OH!Juliann… bombays have relatively short hair, and a some what flat face with copper colored eyes.

October 23, 2007 at 10:31 am
(23) gold says:

A clump of cat litter has harden inside cats nose.
How to remove it?

November 4, 2007 at 11:45 pm
(24) Lela says:

I have 5 cats I have found that have needed homes but I have no idea what kind they maybe can u help me.

November 13, 2007 at 4:58 pm
(25) DYLAN says:

I HAVE A CAT HIS NAME IS GIZMO AND I DONT KNOW WHAT BREEDHE IS HE IS GOLD ORANGE AND YELLOWISH HE IS ALSO STRIPPED AND HES FAT AND YELLOW GREEN EYES AND NORMAL CAT EARS.WHAT BREED IS HE PLZ TELL ME. THANK YOU.

November 20, 2007 at 9:08 pm
(26) Kim Dinsmore says:

Hi – wondered what breed my new kitten is? pure white except for a gray patch between her ears? Thanks!! Kim Dinsmore

December 6, 2007 at 3:53 pm
(27) ashley says:

my cat is between a long haired and medium haired cat..she has big blue eyes..her ears are light brown and so is her tail,she has a line apricot going down her back.she is small.her furr is very soft..i think she might be a mix..what kind of cat is she?

December 31, 2007 at 4:58 pm
(28) luke says:

my cat is about 17 lbs, has very fluffy cheeks, green eyes, hair is semi-fluffy, a bit fluffier than most, just a bit, I know for sure it’s not a siamese cat, pure white fur, no spots of anything! pure white thats it, if you hang on to him fur will get on you,
and if you hang on to him for a while your shirt will be almost impossible to get all the fur off, only meows when it see’s you with food or when you open the fridge, it didn’t meow until like 9 months of being with us, our cats bigger than alot smaller than some, not so much fat as he is long or tall stomach kinda looks like theres a pillow under it, please what kinda cat do I have???

July 15, 2008 at 1:38 pm
(29) bailey says:

i have no clue what my cat is it is a light orangish color and i dont know what it is help!!!!!

August 1, 2008 at 11:48 am
(30) Melissa says:

I have a male cat that is a dark gun metal grey colour. He has some silver that speckles through his coat when in the sun. He has yellow eyes. I got him from a refuge a month ago and was wondering what breed he is. I have been told he definitely has siamese in him. He is long in body with long slender legs. Apparently his snout and ears are like a siamese. What would be your opinion?

August 21, 2008 at 12:22 pm
(31) lulie says:

i want to now what breed my kitten is she is black and white with short hair but maybe thats because shes a baby i dont know but i want to know

August 22, 2008 at 6:43 am
(32) fabia says:

my kitty is black all over and has very dark black markings on her head and on the front of her neck is a little tiny bit of white however this could become whiter as it is only 6-7weeks old what breed is she?

September 2, 2008 at 11:59 am
(33) Sharon says:

My daughter has a black cat w/long hair and a long slender body, we’re trying to figure out what breed of cat she is.Can you tell me ?

September 11, 2008 at 12:09 am
(34) Kathy says:

I have an orange cat with orange eyes, white chest and feet with unusal swirl like markins on him. He is a male half calico mix.If you have any ideas of his breed or mix please let know.

Kathy

January 5, 2009 at 10:51 am
(35) m7amad says:

I want to know my cats’ breed,one is a semi-longhair,he is white and gray with black stripes on top of the gray parts.

January 26, 2009 at 10:28 am
(36) lacey says:

you all sound as though you have moggies…there is no breed because their not pedigree! ie a mix of different cats in their blood line. so it might look a bit like a burmeese but its not because its got another type of cat in there too! Pedigrees all look the same and have same characteristics. and to be honest if it was a pedigree you would know the breed.

April 15, 2009 at 5:57 pm
(37) Zoe says:

I think my cat is a Mixed Breed or Tortoise Cat, but I’m not so sure. My sister gave her to me, but didn’t tell me where she got her. She’s flat black, with cream swirls, and around her eyes is all cream, her eye color is very light lime green. If you can help me thanks in advance!

April 15, 2009 at 9:29 pm
(38) Andrew says:

Ithought my cat was a Russian blue until I saw another one and it has no white stomach of paws like mine

May 6, 2009 at 12:36 pm
(39) michelle says:

i have a cat..she is a silvery/blue & white with blue eyes..her siblings were totally different.. a tabby and a blk & white.. her mum is a tabby cat. just curious what breed she is..any help would be appreciated

July 14, 2009 at 1:12 pm
(40) Bree says:

My cat is a cream color with a black tail and black stripes on his face. He also has black ears. He has extremely light brown stripes going down each leg and his paws are brown. He has incredibley bright blue eyes. And from afar he looks like a whit tiger cub. Can ANYONE help me and tell me what he may be ?

July 18, 2009 at 4:27 am
(41) Callum says:

I have never known my cats breed, we have had him 12yrs and never knew, he is a black cat with short fur, he also has a white neck, chest and belly, he also has white paws and funny enough he has a white moustache under his nose. What type of cat is he? Thank you

August 13, 2009 at 9:45 pm
(42) Audrey says:

I have a steel gray cat with slightly darker stripes on his back, ears, head, legs, and tail, on the top. On his chin and down his throat he has peach. He’s got sort of an ascot, an up side down triangle, of white on his chest under the peach. Under that he has an peach vest and a white patch under that. His tummy and under his legs are peach with light grat stripes. Could he be a rare male calico?

December 3, 2009 at 3:00 pm
(43) Ashli says:

I’m curious about my cats. The mama cat is white with black on top of her head, and little black on the tip of her tail and she has orange eyes. Then her 4/8 of her kittens look exactly like her. but one has two different colored eyes, has gray instead of black on top her head and has a dot on her tail bone, one has fluffy skin, one has a few dots on her back and have greenish blue eyes. One of the kittens (who died when he was 8 months) was a fluffy black cat with dark gray on his chest and orange eyes. One cat is black and white with orange eyes. and the last cat is gray with orange eyes but its not a British cat b/c it looks different. (the last cat was gray too but it was still born)

March 1, 2010 at 2:22 pm
(44) Dave from BB says:

Great post Franny! Also I need to do a test on comments with my blackberry!

March 1, 2010 at 2:56 pm
(45) Franny Syufy says:

Glad it worked for you, Dave! :-D

March 23, 2010 at 3:05 am
(46) jello says:

I was given a stray kitten a couple yrs ago. It is a male and he is adorable. He is gun metal gray & has white paws & hind feet, white chest & white mouth & gray chin. He looks like he has a gray mask on the upper part of his face. His fur isn’t real short but it isn’t long either. What type of cat is he? I would really love to know. He’s has the greatest personality, he is more like adog than a cat & he is so vocal and social & has to be around the family constantly.

May 10, 2010 at 10:13 am
(47) Leslie says:

I just got a kitty yesterday her legs is weight and her body is black and her face is white. Just wondering what kind of kitty is she but, I think shes just a cat.

May 10, 2010 at 5:09 pm
(48) danielle says:

ok i have no idea wat type of cat my is see i watch cats101 so i think its a orital (sorry i cant spell) ok his mom is a american short hair and his dad is a black cat and a simmesse he white to his chin all the way to his butt on the top he brown and his tail is black and with white ring if u have anyy idea please write ill check in a few weeks please write back

May 10, 2010 at 5:19 pm
(49) Franny Syufy says:

jello, Leslie, and Danielle. When you come back to check, LREAD THE ARTICLE.

Leslie, there is no such thing as “just a cat.” Each cat is a magnificent creation, as individual as “each human” on this earth. Your cat is undoubtedly beautiful, and for starters she is a domestic shorthair. But again, read the article, then decide for yourself.

May 18, 2010 at 11:41 pm
(50) Kelly says:

I have a very fluffy solid black/dark brown kitten with a brown ring around her grey blue eyes. she has brown patches on her belly and legs. She doesn’t fit in with a tabby cat group..her mom is a himalaian simese..what the heck is she!

June 2, 2010 at 10:40 pm
(51) Autumn says:

Okay, I have no idea what is my cat breed is :) He is fluffy and he is black with a little bit of white on his one paw, He has a nose as a wolf, really cute :)

July 23, 2010 at 10:13 am
(52) samantha says:

my cat is almost a year and is orange and striped with darker orange stripes, green eyes and white paws,he has very long legs and is around 20-24 inches! i know he is a tabby but i have a feeling he is mixed with something! he has a whit chest and some white on his face..! any suggestions on what he could be mixed with and what kind of tabby?!?!?

March 14, 2011 at 5:51 pm
(53) Sammie says:

hey sam my name is sam too! my cat is exactly the same but he has orange under his nose! our cats are probably mixed with something but i dont know what and they are orange and white tabbys i think

September 5, 2010 at 3:03 pm
(54) emily says:

my kitten is white with black spots what breed is he

September 20, 2010 at 4:16 am
(55) Krista says:

I have gone over all the breed information articles and websites and of course I never had papers on him so I know he’s not a pedigreed cat but I would love to get an idea of what breed my cat descended from. He looks exactly like a Blue Russian his coloring, his eyes, body type, temperment, everything he even has that slight silvery sheen in the edges of his fur, the appearence of a smile is there too does it sound like he may have descended from the blue russian breed or can that many characteristics be present in a cat that never had anything to do with those breed bloodlines

November 12, 2010 at 6:01 pm
(56) Kailua Realtor says:

My rescue kitten is black with white “bikini” markings. She is long bodied with mid length, very soft fur. Vocalization is very limited. She vocalizes, but volume is soft squeaks. She is very lovable, highly active, intelligent and social with our adult cat. The most unusual aspect is she has NO fur on her lips. Do you know what breed she might be?

December 5, 2010 at 3:24 am
(57) angel says:

I have a pure white semi-long hair male feline with one green eye and one blue and his tail is short aproximitly 2 inches short,he has silk fine fur. i got him from my sister aquired him from a vet clinic, he then was given to me as a gift.he is very social and often acts like a dog, very affectionate, but does not have a dominant personality he laid back. tho it was said he is a pure breed turkish van. i cant find the info to match with his looks or personality? can you tell me what breed he is?

March 14, 2011 at 5:46 pm
(58) Sammie says:

i have been always wondering what type of cat mine is, he has orange all over his head until you get to the eyes then he is white his body is orange and his tail is orange with dark orange stripes on him he also has a little bit of orange under his nose and the rest of him is white and his body close to his stomach has big white spots and his belly is white

March 14, 2011 at 7:32 pm
(59) Franny Syufy says:

He is a red tabby with white. Congratulations! One of my favorite color patterns. :)

March 26, 2011 at 9:17 am
(60) emily says:

what kind is a cat with a orange dot on its head????

June 29, 2011 at 6:17 pm
(61) busterbrown says:

my male cat was abandoned and he is ours now he is a beautiful white coat with patches of orange on his forhead,back and tail,I have 2 female cats about a year old and are sisters one a really light grey with light tiger stripes and the other is grey/black,all black on her entire back,long tail and short haired and he is the father of both litters,the black female,had 4 kittens one all black one all grey and two with white fur and one black patched and one light grey patched, what id the breed ????their beautifu;

March 18, 2012 at 10:09 pm
(62) Bonnie says:

Hi my cat Clyde is black all over and has hazel eyes he is very lazy and will let you do what ever you want him to and is always playful but lazy as well. I have another cat named Bonnie she is a tabbie cat she is Clyde’s sister dose this mean they are the same type of cat?

March 19, 2013 at 6:20 pm
(63) Kyra says:

My cat is black and white.He has yellow eyes and a pink nose.On the bottomof his paws its weird 1 is brown and pink and 2 are pink and 1 is brown.I really want to know what kind of cat he is please reply.

March 19, 2013 at 9:13 pm
(64) Franny Syufy says:

Kyra, you’ve described a possible shorthaired domestic cat, possibly a tuxedo. If you read the linked featured article What Breed is my Cat?, you’ll learn a lot more than I can tell you without actually seeing a photo of your cat.

July 31, 2013 at 4:58 pm
(65) Melissa says:

I found a cat yesterday at the grocery store and i brought her home, she looks like a Blue Russian but she has a white spot on her belly. The reason i think she is a B.R is because she has the almost unnoticeable darker stripes on her tail and she has the white diamond locket on her chest, which is uncommon for B.R but some of them do have it. She has every marking of a B.R except the white on her belly. Please help.

March 30, 2014 at 12:47 pm
(66) Grace R says:

Its amusing to me that none of the commentors are actually reading the article and are just asking questions.

March 30, 2014 at 3:47 pm
(67) Franny Syufy says:

You nailed it, Grace R! And every time I feature that article in my newsletter, I get dozens of emails with photos asking “what breed is my (domestic) cat?”

I’d be the wealthiest writer in the world if I got paid for answering emails! LOL