Care of Your Cat from Kittenhood to Senior Years
By Franny Syufy, About.com Guide
- Before you Get Your First Cat
- Caring for a Kitten from Birth to One Year
- The Maintenance Years
- Senior Cats Deserve Golden Years
Before you Get Your First Cat
Getting a cat for the first time involves a lot more than just picking one out. Cats are not necessarily the self-sufficient creatures some people think, and you need to be take several things into consideration before making the monumental move of sharing your home with a cat.
- Do Your Homework First
- Top Mistakes of New Cat Owners
- How to Cat-Proof Your Home
- Shopping List for Your First Cat
Caring for a Kitten from Birth to One Year
With these articles, I've given you all the tools you need to ensure that your kitten gets the very best care you can give her. From birth to one year, you will learn how to groom her, feed her, and play with her. All of these activities are bonding experiences, and your reward will be a lifetime of devoted companionship with your cat.
The Maintenance Years
Although some breeds of cats, such as Maine Coons, do not reach "adulthood" until after two or more years, most cats can be considered adults after one year. By now you will know your cat's basic personality, his likes and dislikes. (Believe me, he'll let you know.) Bonding continues to be important, and your continued good care will strengthen your cat's trust in you, which is vital to your relationship.
Senior Cats Deserve Golden Years
Much like human senior citizens, geriatric cats need a bit more attention and help from their caretakers in order to enjoy the quality of life they deserve.
- Reasons to Adopt an Older Cat
- Optimizing Your Senior Cat's Health and Well-Being
- The Comfort Factor
- Online Class: Care of Your Senior Cat
Care of a Pregnant Cat
Whether your female cat slipped out and the result is an "oops" litter, or a pregnant cat presented herself (or was dumped) at your door, you may need help with managing her pregnancy. This section covers the gamut of reproduction in cats, from the act of mating to helping with the birthing process and even help in finding permanent homes for the resultant kittens.
- Signs a Cat is Pregnant
- Online Class: Care of a Pregnant Cat
- FAQs: Pregnancy, Birth, and Reproduction
The world of cats is a fascinating study in history, and it is no wonder that people flock to cat shows to see an infinite variety of cat breeds. Learn more about the profiles and history of cat breeds, as well as the role of genetics in color patterns.
- A to Z Cat Breeds
- Cat Breed Photo Galleries
- Tips for Purchasing a Pedigreed Cat or Kitten
- The Wild Look in Cats
- Breed Rescue Organizations
- Coat Color Patterns and Types
- Cats Picture Quiz
- The Glorious Tabby
- Black Cats Folklore
- Hemingway Cats - Polydactyls
- Breed of the Week Email Course
Cat Food & Nutrition
"You are what you eat" is just as applicable to cats as to humans. I firmly believe that next to regular veterinary care, nutrition is the most important facet of a healthy, long life for cats. Tools are provided here for learning to read and understand cat food labels, along with articles, cat food reviews, and my suggestions for the best cat foods.
- The Importance of Food to Your Cat's Health
- The Case for Raw Feeding for Cats
- Before You Buy Cat Food
- How to Choose Cat Food
- Canned Cat Food as a Staple
- Canned Cat Food Recommendations & Reviews
- Dry Cat Food Recommendations & Reviews
- Cat Food FAQs
- Cat Food Glossary
You and Your Cat
If you are like most other cat lovers, you consider your cat as a member of your family and already have developed a deep bond.
Bonding with another being, whether human or four-legged, soon evolves into a tapestry of intertwining souls. The unique bond between cats and humans is awesome to behold and even more incredible to experience. You may even be coping with cat allergies, but your cat's companionship is something you don't want to give up. There's help here, too, for that, so don't be discouraged.
- Allergic to Cats?
- The Feline-Human Bond of Love
- Real Men Do Love Cats
- Teach Kids to Bond With Cats
- Simon and James
- Patches - a True Story of the Paranormal Involving a Cat
- The Telepathic Cat by Darren Zenko