In her article, 12 Weird Cat Behaviors Explained, Amy Shojai describes quirky habits such as Cat Bunting, Elevator Butt, Covering Food, and nine others.
You are invited to share your own cat's cute or unusual habits with other readers. Does he "chase rabbits" while dreaming, burrow under blankets, or try to open doors? Use as much space as available to describe the behavior as completely as possible You may contribute more than one strange behavior habit, but please use a new form for each of them.Share Your Cat's Quirks
- Abby, our calico, loves all things technical. Normally stand-offish to strangers, she will follow contractors around the house, hoping to get a chance at their tool belts or boxes. Her favorite is my father's wood clamp; we're not sure why, but when he was fixing a piece of furniture, she purred and rubbed on the clamp like it was her best friend. This habit extends to electrical equipment as well. She has played my electric piano, changed channels on the TV remote, unplugged the lamp and the alarm clock, turned off the power strip to the entertainment center and even buzzed me into my apartment once. I'm not sure, but I think I caught her trying to send a text on my phone. We decided to set up our computer in the coat closet so she can't start shopping on eBay or set up a Facebook account for herself while we are at work.
- —Guest Sue
- Cats are known to love jumping to high places, so my Gilbi (an orange tabby) is no exception. Ever since she is capable, she has jumped to the top of the TV cabinet, fridge, and even shower cubicles. But the funniest is her endless attempts to get to the top bunk of a bunk bed. Under normal circumstances, other cats would jump from a desk or a cupboard, but Gilbi insists on using the bunk-bed ladder instead. Most of the time, she would claw her way up after jumping onto the 2nd step, but sometimes she would fail, and just hang on the step, all 4s hanging in the air. Her face expression is like "Damn, I'm stuck again!". It's quite a funny sight!!
Quirky Coco Bear
- Coco has always had kind of a silk flower fetish - but only one arrangement, the one on the coffee table. She's been licking that thing for 10 years. Recently she changed it up and started biting them, and biting the flowers off the stems. Her meal time ritual is also humorous. The longer I take dishing up food the faster she runs through the dining room, living room and kitchen, over and over, and squeals like a little piggy :-)
- Calypso fixates on a particular object and just won't give up. One week it might be the porcelain bolt covers from the toilet; the next week the tiny stuffed koala on the floor lamp, or the plastic end of a mailing tube, or the plastic cap from a water bottle. She just obsesses over it for a few days or a week, then it's on to something else. She also makes very scary sounds when she plays, growls and snarls and a myriad of sound effects - no wonder Coco was terrified of her at first. It's just how she plays, along with insane tearing through the house. She means no harm :-)
- My cat, Lulu, is very strange. Whenever me or someone else uses the bathroom, Lulu hears and rushes to the door, slipping in and wanting to be petted. She'll purr loudly and walk back and forth while being petted; if you stop she'll get up as close to your face as she can and stare at you. This is especially strange because she hardly ever lets anyone pet her. Eventually she'll lay down and just hang out until you're done. She does this especially with my mom; when my mom closes the door, Lulu will get distressed, meowing outside the door, scratching on it and the nearby carpet. We often refer to her as our "self-appointed potty partner"!
- —Guest LS
Lucy the Licker
- I did not see this in the article, but one of my cats is a "licker". Lucy doesn't knead, she licks. If we are just hanging out together, either on my lap or beside me on the couch, my hands come away sopping wet. Most of the time she'll lick my hand, then rub her face on the hand. She will keep this behavior up as long as I let her, purring the whole time.
- —Guest redflyingcat
Kitten's odd behavior
- My new kitten does this all the time. It seems as if he is searching for something. Can anyone explain? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CngxxpZc6k
- —Guest Aniailys
- My 5 month old Pastel-Dilute Calico, Kit-Kat, just loves to keep me company while I shower! She'll just sit on the tubs edge until I'm done! She'll even try to play games with you behind the curtain!
- —Guest Yanil
- My solid black kitty, Boo, insists on nursing on my hand when I've been away. Even if it's just for an afternoon, he will stare and stare until I put my hand out to him. He only does it for a minute, and then he's fine. He's also a little pack-rat, and steals things from the bathroom - my razor, my toothbrush, etc.
- My cat Phoebe will hide some artifical flowers from my flower arrangements ( much to my dismay) when I was gone for 2 weeks, my husband told her '' mommy would be home in a few minutes'' he said she disappeared for about 15 minutes and when I came home, she was standing in front of the back door I come through and had a beautiful artifical flower in her teeth ready to present to mommy! It was so funny! I could kick myself for not taking a picture. She has done this on more than one occasion including once when I was sick in bed. ( she never leaves my side when I am sick) It is just a mystery where she gets these flowers they are well hid, I have long ago put the ones I had up. Its amazing how animals know these things!
- —Guest kim thornsberry
really weird cat
- Ever since my grandson has been crawling, my male cat puts his front paws under Isaiah's arms and either walks with him, or tries to sit on him. He makes a diffrent meow sound when he does this. He doesn't hurt Isaiah, but licks his ears and face.
- —Guest Dee
Tail up, head down
- My female kitty Frizbee loves to pump like many others, but she insists on having her front paws on the couch or bed and her hind legs on my lap or strattling my leg. She will never perform "happy feet" with her body on the same level!
- —Guest Didi
- Sometimes when I sneeze my cat, Pepper, bites me! When we bring groceries home Pepper comes into the kitchen meowing like he's begging for his favorite thing to eat-tuna.
- —Guest sharon
- I own a 3 year old brother and sister pair. both of them hate when i read or do crosswords. they have to lay onto the book. however bonnie is the weirdest. when either my partner or i take a shower she will wait for us to come out. while we are busy drying ourselfs she will roll over our feet. Rub her head all over it and like them. same with fresh washed hands. seens to me like she is saying:"hey u washed my scent of you. I own you"
- —Guest johanna
i can't even explain this
- my cat pays more attention to my clothing and my shoes than she does me. at the moment she has her face inside of my bra (not the one i'm wearing!) and she rubs all over my shoes. It was cute at first but now it's kind of concerning.
- —Guest Kelly